Legend, Lindsay vs Mauresmo - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM   #1
country flag SM

SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute
Legend, Lindsay vs Mauresmo

its clear they dont love amelie.

1999 AUS OPEN
Hingis was asked after the semifinals about the difference between Mauresmo now and when they played last year in a Federation Cup match.

"She's here with her girlfriend. She's half a man," Hingis was reported to have said.

On the same day, Lindsay Davenport said she thought at times she was playing against a man in her loss to Mauresmo.

The remarks by Hingis and Davenport were widely reported in the press and on television.

While Hingis denied the "half a man" comment, Davenport angrily insisted the next day that she was referring only to Mauresmo's muscular play, especially the way she slugged onehanded topspin backhands unlike other women.

After the final, Hingis said she had "nothing to apologize for," and refused to talk about the issue.
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #2
country flag SM

SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Legend, Lindsay vs Mauresmo

Head To Head Matches - Chat About The Lindsay Davenport vs Amelie Mauresmo Head To Head
Year Name Round Surface Winning Player Losing Player Score
2006 Beijing QF Hard Amelie Mauresmo Lindsay Davenport 6-4 6-3
2006 New Haven QF Hard Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 6-4 7-5
2005 Filderstadt F Hard Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 6-2 6-4
2005 New Haven F Hard Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 6-4 6-4
2005 Wimbledon SF Grass Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 6-7(5) 7-6(4) 6-4
2004 Filderstadt F Hard Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 6-2 Retired
2004 Amelia Island F Clay Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 6-4 6-4
2003 Indian Wells Masters QF Hard Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo WO
2002 New Haven QF Hard Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 7-6(7) 6-3
2001 Filderstadt QF Hard Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 6-4 6-2
2001 New Haven QF Hard Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 6-4 6-4
2001 Sydney SF Hard Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo WO
2000 Sydney 2 F Hard Amelie Mauresmo Lindsay Davenport 7-6(2) 6-4
1999 WTA Championships R16 Carpet Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 3-6 6-3 6-2
1999 Tokyo QF Hard Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 6-1 6-1
1999 New Haven QF Hard Lindsay Davenport Amelie Mauresmo 6-1 6-2
1999 Australian Open SF Hard Amelie Mauresmo Lindsay Davenport 4-6 7-5 7-5
1998 Berlin R16 Clay Amelie Mauresmo Lindsay Davenport 6-2 6-4
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM   #3
country flag SM

BUT MOMO TAUGHT HINGIS A THING OR TWO AT THE END OF LEGEND'S DECLINE

2006 WTA Championships 10 Hard Amelie Mauresmo Martina Hingis 3-6 6-1 6-4
2006 Berlin QF Clay Amelie Mauresmo Martina Hingis 4-6 6-4 6-4
2006 Doha SF Hard Amelie Mauresmo Martina Hingis 6-2 6-2
2001 Rome Masters SF Clay Amelie Mauresmo Martina Hingis 6-4 7-6(5)
2001 Berlin SF Clay Amelie Mauresmo Martina Hingis 2-6 6-0 6-4
2001 Charleston QF Clay Martina Hingis Amelie Mauresmo 7-5 6-2
2000 Moscow SF Carpet Martina Hingis Amelie Mauresmo 7-5 6-3
2000 Sydney 2 SF Hard Amelie Mauresmo Martina Hingis 7-5 6-3
1999 Grand Slam Cup QF Hard Martina Hingis Amelie Mauresmo 7-6(1) 6-2
1999 French Open - Roland Garros R64 Clay Martina Hingis Amelie Mauresmo 6-3 6-3
1999 Paris QF Carpet Amelie Mauresmo Martina Hingis 2-6 6-1 6-3
1999 Australian Open F Hard Martina Hingis Amelie Mauresmo 6-2 6-3
1998 US Open R32 Hard Martina Hingis Amelie Mauresmo 4-6 6-2 6-2
1998 Switzerland v France - Fed Cup - SF 0 Clay Martina Hingis Amelie Mauresmo 6-7(6) 6-4 6-2
Old Today, 05:30 AM   #4
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

14-3 for Linds vs Amelie.

More lopsided than I thought. Davenport was better-but not by THAT much.

In Davenport's defense she issued an apology of sorts to Amelie, didn't she?

Then we have Momo at 7-7 vs Hingis.

Martina made the "half man" comment in her Swiss/German dialect if I recall, with few understanding it until it leaked. What a story it made! It was sort of a witchy/bitchy comment to make. Not taking it back only made it "worse" for Hingis.

Give the Swiss Miss credit for not bowing to WTA handlers at least. It made her a real person in my view, with a real personality. Yes, she was in the wrong, but it made for a great catfight-type story.

The flip side is she more or less "outed" Amelie. Things didn't turn out too bad from Momo being outed. She was open about her sexuality and became a French martyr/heroine as a result.

Too bad the final was such a bust.

Does anyone have video of Momo vs Martina in Paris? How brave of Hingis to even go on court vs Amelie in Paris-unless she was totally clueless. One has to wonder how much her comments about Mauresmo played into the negative reactions of Parisians in her French final vs Graf.

1999 was a busy year with unforgettable tennis and off court drama to match it.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:29 PM   #5
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
14-3 for Linds vs Amelie.

More lopsided than I thought. Davenport was better-but not by THAT much.

In Davenport's defense she issued an apology of sorts to Amelie, didn't she?
Davenport was referring to Mauresmo's one-handed topspin power when she said Mauresmo played like a man. Granted it was an unfortunate phrasing given the furor caused by Hingis' comment, but it was meant to be analytical, not snide. Lindsay did write an apologetic note Amelie.

Quote:
Then we have Momo at 7-7 vs Hingis.

Martina made the "half man" comment in her Swiss/German dialect if I recall, with few understanding it until it leaked. What a story it made! It was sort of a witchy/bitchy comment to make. Not taking it back only made it "worse" for Hingis.

Give the Swiss Miss credit for not bowing to WTA handlers at least. It made her a real person in my view, with a real personality. Yes, she was in the wrong, but it made for a great catfight-type story.
Hingis' case is a little worse. First she made the half a man comment, caused a furor, then tried to backtrack and use Davenport's "I'm saying she plays like a man, I'm not calling her a man" line, then got called out for that. Dig that hole a little deeper, Martina. Because lying about how you meant something is much more honest just making a lying apology.

Quote:
Does anyone have video of Momo vs Martina in Paris? How brave of Hingis to even go on court vs Amelie in Paris-unless she was totally clueless. One has to wonder how much her comments about Mauresmo played into the negative reactions of Parisians in her French final vs Graf.
Mauresmo vs. Hingis at the FO was "Allez! -- Boo! -- Allez! -- Boo!" Once again, the match was a dud. Hingis totally knew she had to take control right away, and the grudge match aspect was so hyped that it had to hurt Mauresmo. Best to leave the grudge match stuff to Graf.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote