Players who beat #1 and #2 in the same tournament - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #1
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Players who beat #1 and #2 in the same tournament

Who are all the players who have beaten the world #1 and the world #2 (top ranked players, not just the top two seeds) in the same tournament? So far I've come up with the following:

Austin - US Open 1979
Austin - Filderstadt 1979
Austin - Toyota Championships 1981 *
Mandlikova - US Open 1985
Graf - Lipton 1987 **
Sabatini - Amelia Island 1989
Graf - Philadelphia 1998
Graf - French Open 1999
S. Williams - US Open 1999
V. Williams - Wimbledon 2000
S. Williams - Los Angeles 2000
V. Williams - US Open 2000
Capriati - Australian Open 2001
S. Williams - French Open 2002
Clijsters - WTA Championships 2002 ***
S. Williams - Australian Open 2005

* Navratilova finished #1 in the Toyota points standings for 1981 and was seeded #1 at the Championships, but I think Evert was the world #1 and Navratilova the #2

** Evert was ranked #2 when the Lipton draw was made, but IIRC, Graf overtook her in the rankings during the tournament and was technically the world #2 at the time of her final against Evert.

*** Venus Williams, ranked #2, retired when down 0-5 in the first set against Clijsters in the semis.

A quick scan of the list reveals that Hingis and Davenport were possibly the most beatable pair of top players in the Open Era. They were both beaten by the same player in a tournament on eight occasions!

Any others? What was Goolagong's ranking when BJK beat her and Evert back-to-back at Wimbledon 1975
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)

Last edited by samn : Aug 9th, 2006 at 08:39 PM.
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #2
country flag KimC&MariaSNo1's

KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute
Serena Williams at Aus Open 2005 beay #2 Mauresmo in QF & #1 Davenport in Final
KimC&MariaSNo1's is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #3
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
It's a bit confusing before 1975 as rankings were only compiled once a year by tennis correspondents and none of them were official although it would now appear that Lance Tingay's is the accepted list when reference is made.

Along with most others he ranked the order in 1974 1 Evert 2 King 3 Goolagong which is the order which would apply to Wimby '75. Bud Collins Total Tennis wrongly states that the computer rankings began in 1973 and thus the list he includes is his OWN which was the only one I have seen which differs from everyone else 1 King 2 Goolagong 3 Evert (Now there's a surprise - imagine him favouring BJ!!!!)

Maybe someone who knows can confirm but from what I can gather the computer rankings didn't appear until the beginning of 1976 but they must have backtracked a year to produce them? This is my assumption.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #4
AndrewTas

AndrewTas has disabled reputation
Players who have defeated 1 and 2 in the same tournament

This is from the WTA Media Guide from 2003, so goes up to 2002 Chase Championships. They dont include the Graf one and have 2 navratilovas wins in the Lions Cup which was a exhibition tournament.

Goolagong (5) - Boston 1978
Austin (3) - US Open 1979
Austin (3) - Filderstadt 1979
Navratilova (3) - Tokyo Lions Cup 1980
Austin (3) - Toyota Championships 1981
Navratilova (3) - Tokyo Lions Cup 1981
Mandlikova (4) - US Open 1985
Sabatini (3)- Amelia Island 1989
Graf (17)- Philadelphia 1998
Graf (6) - French Open 1999
S. Williams (6)- US Open 1999
V. Williams (5)- Wimbledon 2000
S. Williams (6)- Los Angeles 2000
V. Williams (3)- US Open 2000
Mauresmo (9) - Sydney 2000
Capriati (14)- Australian Open 2001
Seles (10)- San Diego 2001
S. Williams (9) - Miami 2002
S. Williams (3) - French Open 2002
Clijsters (6)- WTA Championships 2002

Also
S. Williams - Australian Open 2005
AndrewTas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #5
country flag Johnny O

Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all
As others have noted, it's tricky in the pre-rankings era, but at Wimbledon 1969, Ann Jones beat both Court & King back to back to take the title and I don't think anyone could dispute that they were not only seeded 1 & 2, but were the top two players in the world. Same with Goolagong at Wimbledon 1971 when she took out King & Court to take the title.
Johnny O is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #6

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny O
As others have noted, it's tricky in the pre-rankings era, but at Wimbledon 1969, Ann Jones beat both Court & King back to back to take the title and I don't think anyone could dispute that they were not only seeded 1 & 2, but were the top two players in the world. Same with Goolagong at Wimbledon 1971 when she took out King & Court to take the title.

The Seagram panel which was set up for 1968 and 1969 (and then discontinued) was made up of 15 "experts" whose listings were amalgamated to produce a composite list came up with the following order for 1968 1 King 2 Richey 3 Court 4 Wade 5 Jones. This would be a better guide than the opinion of one man so at 1969 Wimbledon Jones beat the #s 1, 2 and 3 players.

Virginia Wade USO 1968 beat King (1) and Jones (2).

Of course you can argue that by the time these events came round those particular players were not the current top 2.

However, in 1964 Court and Bueno, while the actual order was hotly disputed, were indisputably the top 2 players and it finished in 1965 as 1 Court 2 Bueno so Lesley Turner can be said to have taken out the top 2 at the French Champs in 1965.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #7
country flag Johnny O

Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all
"However, in 1964 Court and Bueno, while the actual order was hotly disputed, were indisputably the top 2 players and it finished in 1965 as 1 Court 2 Bueno so Lesley Turner can be said to have taken out the top 2 at the French Champs in 1965."

And thus we need to add BJK to the list, as she beat both Court & Bueno back to back to take the 1966 Wimbledon crown.
Johnny O is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #8
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
So, after taking out Graf's Lipton wins and ignoring Navratilova's wins in the Lions Cup exhibition, we end up with the following:

Lesley Turner (French Open)

Billie Jean King (Wimbledon)

Virginia Wade (US Open)

Ann Jones (Wimbledon)

Evonne Goolagong (Wimbledon)

Evonne Goolagong (Virginia Slims of Boston)

Tracy Austin (US Open)
Tracy Austin (Porsche Classic)

Tracy Austin (Toyota Series Championships)

Hana Mandlikova (US Open)

Gabriela Sabatini (Bausch and Lomb Championships)

Steffi Graf (Advanta Championships)

Steffi Graf (French Open)
Serena Williams (US Open)

Amelie Mauresmo (adidas International)
Venus Williams (Wimbledon)
Serena Williams (estyle.com Classic)
Venus Williams (US Open)

Jennifer Capriati (Australian Open)
Monica Seles (Acura Classic)

Serena Williams (NASDAQ-100 Open)
Serena Williams (French Open)
Kim Clijsters (WTA Championships)

Serena Williams (Australian Open)

The biggest killer was Serena Williams and, the most victimised pair, Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport - not a surprise, really, considering the flawed nature of the Best N ranking system.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #9
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Since Graf's Lipton win was removed shouldn't Serena's 2002 French title go too? Didn't she become number 2 by the end of the tournament or am I wrong? Maybe it occurred right after?
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:06 AM   #10
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
Austin was the number 2 when she beat Evert (1) and Navratilova (3) in East Rutherford 1981.
Robert1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #11

By year end 1960 Bueno and Hard were #s 1 and 2. Haydon beat both to win Pacific Southwest.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #12
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of
Just interesting to mention how long it took after Sabatini's wins in 1989 Amelia Island for a player to repeat the feat, of course it had to be Steffi (what record doesn't she own?) but only 9 years later. Maybe the dominant players such as Steffi and Mónica were way too good to be easy to beat them both in the same tournament
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #13
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation
How about Maureen Connolly defeating Shirley Fry (#2 seed) and Doris Hart (#1 seed) back-to-back at the 1951 U.S. Championships? Louise Brough and Margaret Osborne duPont did not play that tournament but arguably were not in the top 2 by then anyway.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #14
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Players who beat #1 and #2 in the same tournament

What about Goolagong's 1974 Virginia Slims Champs over Evert and King in Los Angeles?
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #15
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all
Re: Players who beat #1 and #2 in the same tournament

I swear there was a Virginia Slims tournament in the mid-1970s (Dallas?) when Virginia Wade ran through everyone, certainly King and Evert, and quite possibly Cawley as well. There might be a record there for beating the top THREE players. Evonne at Wimbledon 1980 technically ran through the top two players of that year -- Austin and Evert -- and to boot she also beat Hana Mandlikova in the same tournament (Hana after that was a finalist in the next FOUR grand slam tournaments and a winner in two).
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote