Kvitova's slice - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 18th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Kvitova's slice

If you wanna know why I get annoyed and base on her all the time check out that slice when it's on. A thing of sheer beauty. She has all the talent to be one of the best aggressive all-court players ever.
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #2
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kvitova's slice

Petra has, and always had a great slice.

We Know, we watched her at Wimbledon and the WTA finals!!! Lol.

Petra or Koytza just has to remind her, to mix it up, play those type of shots more often, especially against assorted ball bashers, players who play behind the baseline, who need rhythm like Azarenka and players who don't like to move or bend.

Agreed! And a true joy to watch.

Hopefully this is a teaching opportunity from Koytza?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #3
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Petra has, and always had a great slice.

We Know, we watched her at Wimbledon and the WTA finals!!! Lol.
Yeah, I know it wasn't news. Just musing that her breadth of natural talent is why I get annoyed and base on her.
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #4
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Yeah, I know it wasn't news. Just musing that her breadth of natural talent is why I get annoyed and base on her.
I know what you mean. She has so much talent to match her power and shotmaking (especially compared to today's players).

I get it. When she heals all these injuries, regains her mojo, becomes more mature and accepts her fate as a top player, versatile player; watch out, right!!?? Lol.

So I know why you feel this way. After Petra had the post Wimby swoon and recovered by winning Linz and the WTA, we all thought she had overcome her/the post slam let down. But alas, like most players, she'll have to suffer a wee bit more, after her grand-slam win.

But what I saw today (even in a loss, and when she choked/blew the first set-abs or no abs), makes me look forward to the future, knowing she can always incorporate it into her matches; especially against a player like Kerber when she had no serve, for Roland Garros and Wimbledon. Hey; she may win another major this year while she's still growing? She just needs to get healthy.

We'll see?
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #5
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

That's why some of the rallies Petra played really brought a smile to my face today. She finally was playing the type of clay court game I've been waiting for her to play. When Petra is mixing her slice, top spin angles, drop shots, drop volleys with her usual hard, flat strokes all during one rally, she is just such a great all court player w/ exquisite shot making abilities. But I think, Excelscior, as you have mentioned in GM, against power players like Sharapova, Kvitova probably feels more rushed and has less time to think about/execute variety consistently. So she sticks with her natural instincts of playing first strike power tennis.
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #6
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisAddict84 View Post
That's why some of the rallies Petra played really brought a smile to my face today. She finally was playing the type of clay court game I've been waiting for her to play. When Petra is mixing her slice, top spin angles, drop shots, drop volleys with her usual hard, flat strokes all during one rally, she is just such a great all court player w/ exquisite shot making abilities. But I think, Excelscior, as you have mentioned in GM, against power players like Sharapova, Kvitova probably feels more rushed and has less time to think about/execute variety consistently. So she sticks with her natural instincts of playing first strike power tennis.
Yeah.

Is it a chicken or the egg syndrome, though?

Cause winning; and winning with variety, breeds confidence, and confidence allows Petra to try those shots against anybody.

Cause at the WTA championship, Petra utilized those strategies against everyone, including Stosur and Azarenka (even if you don't consider her a power player or having power; she still plays fast from the baseline). Unfortunately, Petra didn't play Sharapova at the WTA. However, even though it wasn't her typical Wimbledon match (reinforcing what you were saying Tennisaddict84), Petra nonetheless played enough slices-causing mistakes from Maria, a winning drop shot and volley in the Sharapova match, to help her win it. Sharapova usually lost the point on after Petra's slice shot. At the Australian Open, Petra's slice was going out of bounds.

In other words, if she was confident, winning, and had her true feel, she'd mix it up against anybody.

I think the other answer is, which I almost forgot; is that last year/when Petra's on, she hits threw any power player anyway. And that's how she probably feels/why she doesn't utilize it as much (though she did, that statement was a generalization). She probably feels why get cute if you don't have to? Lol.

PS: I think Petra will correct this as well. It's ironic. It used to be the Kerbers, Wozniaki's, Zvonareva's, etc., that made Petra feel rushed, so she would try to recklessly out him them. And now she's solved it. She uses her variety to end points sooner against them now. I'm sure she'll adapt/do the same when she's play someone like Masha (when Masha's on her game-not giving Petra the security of different shots to try, cause she feels rushed or like she can't afford to blow the point).

Petra will again, as she did the runners and the pushers! Lol
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #7
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Yeah.

Is it a chicken or the egg syndrome, though?

Cause winning; and winning with variety, breeds confidence, and confidence allows Petra to try those shots against anybody.

Cause at the WTA championship, Petra utilized those strategies against everyone, including Stosur and Azarenka (even if you don't consider her a power player or having power; she still plays fast from the baseline). Unfortunately, Petra didn't play Sharapova at the WTA. However, even though it wasn't her typical Wimbledon match (reinforcing what you were saying Tennisaddict84), Petra nonetheless played enough slices-causing mistakes from Maria, a winning drop shot and volley in the Sharapova match, to help her win it. Sharapova usually lost the point on after Petra's slice shot. At the Australian Open, Petra's slice was going out of bounds.

In other words, if she was confident, winning, and had her true feel, she'd mix it up against anybody.

I think the other answer is, which I almost forgot; is that last year/when Petra's on, she hits threw any power player anyway. And that's how she probably feels/why she doesn't utilize it as much (though she did, that statement was a generalization). She probably feels why get cute if you don't have to? Lol.
Very valid points Excelscior. You're right about the confidence now that you reminded me about those particular matches at YEC and Wimbledon last year, when Petra's feeling good and not making a bunch of UE, she does utilize the rest of her arsenal when she has opportunities to do so in the match.

Looking back at that AO semi and even Stuttgart against Sharapova, yea I think if Kvitova was getting those few slice shots she made consistently in, she probably would've utilized it more as a tactic. Moving forward, very, very encouraged with her play today, despite her injury. Hopefully, she will be completely healthy by the start of RG and she'll be able to do some real damage

Hmmm...so curious what an in form Petra vs. in form Serena match would look like...
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote