Backpacking through Europe alone? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #1
country flag Sp!ffy

Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute
Backpacking through Europe alone?

Is it safe for an 18 year old? Is it fun? Where are the best places to be at for someone who's not so much looking for touristy places but for..real places? Any advice in general?

I want to meet a lot of people and I think it'd be quite an experience to have before college. I've always had an incredible angst to get away from everyone for a while and I pretty much have the liberty to do whatever I want once I graduate in a few months. I could go with someone else or a small group or whatever but the idea of going alone sounds much more exhilarating.

I know there's a plethora of information online but I want to hear from posters I can ..somewhat.. trust. Thanks!
Sp!ffy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #2
country flag Keegan

Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Backpacking through Europe alone?

Normally you'll be okay. If you follow normal social guidelines and look up the places on Wikitravel, they should help you along the way. Besides, it's really quite normal to find people who want to go to the same places as you. You can make friends for life that way!
Keegan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #3
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Which countries? Do you know any languages aside from English?

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #4
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

europe is largely safe and i've met young people who were travelling alone many times. i travel alone frequently and i've met plenty of people in this way and i thought you meet more interesting people in less obvious places, so you already have the right idea.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #5
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Just kidding .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #6
country flag Michael*

Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of

It depends how much foreign you know. Its a good idea if you know a little foreign, and you know when people say the locals appreciate when you have go? Yeah...they really don't.

If you're looking for countries not so touristy infected, Helsinki is great, but quite far away, same thing with other Scandinavian countries. And you'd want to go around June/July. You can go to bigger countries but not visit the big cities as much also. Another good one would be Bratislava, there are a lot of great little citites that not many people know about either like Lviv in the Ukraine and Bruges in Belgium, in fact Belgium as a whole is quite underrated. Luxembourg is quite nice and not a huge tourist hot spot
Michael* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

backpack through the central african republic or the north east DRC
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #8
country flag Steven.

Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute

omg I wanna backpack europe and america some day too but prolly after I graduate uni.

Anyways, I haven't actually backpacked but I hope what I have to offer is useful. Not necessarily about places to visit, but extended travelling in general.

1) Thoroughly, very thoroughly, forumlate a plan for safety measures and make sure people know where you are at all times because shit happens you know? Try not to stray too far from your plans unless you're partner is with you. Also be sure you are prepared for anything that may happen too (wild animals, getting lost, injured and so on), be sure your first-aid knowledge is up to date etc. If I were you I'd go with maybe one other person who has the passion to travel and visit new places and venture into the unknown and spontenous to make it not only fun but safer too?

2) Make sure you have essentials (water, food, clothes, money, place to stay) at all times and make sure you have enough/more than enough. Fuck the weight you'll be carrying on your back, your survival is more important.

2) Research on places to go. It's important to make your experience the best it is and to explore as much as you can so do research thoroughly on places to visit - people seem to forget about places that isn't iconic etc. when it comes to travelling. Don't forget about nature/sceneries, historic locations (like visiting former death camps in germany that are open) extreme/active activities and even things like shopping, museum, theatres etc.

3) Do extensive research on areas you're going to be in. Be sure it's a good time to visit the area. Be ready for extreme climates. Have a map with you incase you're lost. Try to learn the basics of their native language if you can cause it'll make things easier.

idk i'll add some more to the thread if I can think of them but this is all that's popping in my head atm...
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #9
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

if you have a small brain at least, you should be alright.
Most important is keep your money & ID safe and know most important words.

dont bring too much things, you can buy food, clothes and phone charger in Europe too.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #10
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

This is a life dream of mine. I haven't done it yet, but I will one year. Are you gonna for real backpack it, where you actually carry all of your possessions in your backpack/live in trains and hostels? Or are you gonna be basically vacationing in Europe?
I have travelled through Europe before, and I would say just stick to 2 or 3 countries that really interest you, and dont try to hit every single European capital. After a while, it all starts to become a blur and all the towns start to look the same.
Get a Eurail pass, and I'm sure you'll meet cool people at hostels. Try not to clique up with other backpacking Americans though, try to meet diverse people.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #11
country flag McPie
The Saimai Wives

McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute

Just do it

The McFanPage | The McTwit | The McThread 4 | The McList on IMDb | The McTumblr | The McStagram
Proud Older Stepsister of Natasha Nicole, TF Transgender Female Lesbian Duo
McPie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #12
country flag Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

I would never go on such a venture by myself; will get lost within the first 5 minutes. Good Luck!
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #13
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

It's also my dream too. but my financial doesn't allow me to do that for now. Plus I'm unsure whether I'm that brave to travel alone.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #14
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post

Just kidding .
You beat me to it.

"Oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that and chuck him out, the brute.
But it's savior of his country when the guns begin to shoot."
Rudyard Kipling
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #15
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

Naples/Capri, Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, Marseille, London, Prague, Krakow, Wien and Berlin would be my choices
I know Naples/Capri and Prague by heart if u need advices
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote