New South Wales Championships - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #16
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New South Wales Championships

1961 (December 1961)

QF Margaret Smith AUS (61 YER 4) bt Madonna Schacht AUS 64 64
QF Robyn Ebbern AUS bt Jan Lehane AUS retired
QF Lesley Turner AUS bt Mary Reitano AUS 63 62
QF Darlene Hard USA (61 YER 2) bt Fay Toyne AUS 61 62.

SF Margaret Smith beat Robyn Ebbern 61 62 (or 86 60)
SF Darlene Hard beat Lesley Turner (86 60 according to Court’s autobiography)

FI: Margaret Smith (61 YER 4) beat Darlene Hard (61 YER 2) 62 61

Margaret Smith wins the first of 5 consecutive NSW titles, a joint record with R. Payten (1900-1904). She recalls the final match in her autobiography “The Margaret Smith Story” p65 as follows: “She attacked the ball with more zest than she had done in either of our earlier matches and I relished the chance to swap shots with her. I broke her first serve of the match to lead 2-0 and when I took the set 6-2 I again felt that I had her measure. In the second set I dropped my serve for the first time in the third game as Darlene unleashed several well-executed ground shots but after that reverse I seemed to play even better than in the first set and took it 6-1.

We shook hands in silence at the net and gathered up our racquets and handbags and walked off the court. As we walked through the familiar exit fromp the centre court and out towards the dressing room Darlene was met by several friends and I was surprised to overhear her say in rather annoyed tones: ‘Wait till I get her on my courts back in the States.’”
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #17
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

1962 (November)

QF Margaret Smith AUS (62 YER 1) d. Rita Bentley GBR 6-1 6-2
QF Jan Lehane AUS d Elizabeth. Starkie GBR 6-3 6-1
QF Christine Truman GBR d. Judy Tegart AUS 6-1 6-3
QF Lesley Turner AUS (62 YER 7) d. Robyn Ebbern AUS 7-5 4-6 6-4

SF Margaret Smith d. Jan Lehane 7-5 6-2
SF Lesley Turner d. Christine Truman 6-2 7-5

FI: Margaret Smith beat Lesley Turner 8-6 6-2

The touring British contingent is no match for the top Australian trio.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #18
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1963 (November)

QF Margaret Smith AUS (63 YER 1) d. Madonna Schacht AUS 6-0 6-4
QF Lesley Turner AUS (63 YER 2) d. Kaye Dening AUS 6-3 3-6 6-1
QF Judy Tegart AUS d. Helen Gourlay AUS 6-4 6-1
QF Jan Lehane AUS (63 YER 7) d. Joan Gibson AUS 6-0 6-3

SF Margaret Smith d. Lesley Turner 6-1 6-1
SF Judy Tegart d. Jan Lehane 7-5 2-6 6-1

FI: Margaret Smith beat Judy Tegart 61 63

Smith and Turner, acknowledged as the world’s top 2 in Lance Tingay’s annual rankings, meet in the semi-finals as Smith concedes a mere 10 games in the last three rounds. The last 8 are all Australians for the last time in history.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #19
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1964 (23-29 November)

QF M. Smith (64 YER 1) d. J. Gibson 6-3 6-2
QF J. Tegart d. R. Ebbern 1-6 6-4 6-1
QF B. J. Moffitt (64 YER 7) d. M. Schacht 6-4 6-2
QF L. Turner (64 YER 3) d. G. Sherriff 6-2 8-6

SF Smith d. Tegart 6-3 4-6 6-4
SF Billie Jean Moffitt-King USA beat Lesley Turner AUS 64 63

FI Margaret Smith d Billie Jean King 6-4 6-3.

Billie Jean, on her first visit down under, is the only foreigner in the last eight.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #20
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1965-66 (November 1965)

SF Margaret Smith AUS (65 YER 1) beat Carole Caldwell-Graebner USA (65 YER 9)
SF Nancy Richey USA (65 YER 8) beat ?

F Margaret Smith beat Nancy Richey 62 62

Lesley Turner (65 YER 3) also participated.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #21
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1966-67 (Nov 1966).

L16 G. Sherriff d. E. Goolagong 6-2 6-3
L16 Meryl Jones d. R. Casals (66 YER 9) 6-1 7-5

QF Lesley Turner d. Gail Sherriff 6-1 6-1
QF Elizabeth Fenton d. Meryl Jones 6-2 3-6 6-3
QF Kerry Melville (66 YER 10) d. Judy Tegart 6-2 6-3
QF Karen Krantzcke d. Françoise Durr (66 YER 8) 6-3 6-2

SF Lesley Turner d. Elizabeth Fenton 6-1 6-3
SF Kerry Melville d. Karen Krantzcke 2-6 6-3 6-4

F Lesley Turner beat Kerry Melville-Reid 68 97 63.

Lesley Turner finally wins Sydney! Evonne Goolagong made her début at the NSW championships aged just 15 and beat #4 foreign seed Evelyne Terras 60 60 in round of 32 before losing to Gail Sherriff 26 36 in the last 16. In her autobiography, “Home” (p 119) Evonne quotes an account by Alan Clarkson, a reporter with the Sydney Morning Herald, of her quarter final match:

“The scores did not give a true indication of the tenseness and closeness of the match. Miss Sherriff, who has a forehand as if she was cracking her worst enemy, unleashed her power-laden shots in an effort to knock her younger opponent off the court. Miss Goolagong relished the pace and put the ball back with equal ferocity… and often out of the older girl’s reach.”
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #22
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1967-68 (16-26 November 1967)

QF Judy Tegart AUS (67 YER 10) beat BJ King USA (67 YER 1) 63 79 60
QF Kathy Harter USA bt Lesley Turner AUS (67 YER 5) 64 64
QF Kerry Melville AUS (67 YER 9) bt Karen Krantzcke AUS 8-10 11-9 6-3
QF Margaret Smith-Court AUS bt Rosie Casals (67 YER 6) AUS 63 61

SF Margaret Court beat Kathy Harter 62 63
SF Judy Tegart beat Kerry Melville 46 86 86

F Judy Tegart beat Margaret Smith-Court in a walkover in the final.

There was a very strong field, containing half of the world’s top 10 plus unranked Margaret Court, playing in her first tournament in 15 months, in an event which had many surprises but no climax. Court claims in her autobiography that rain forced the postponement of the match and that she and Judy played the decider later and that she won but no record has been found of this, to my knowledge, and Tegart is credited with the win by default.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #23
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1968-69 (Jan 1969)

L16: Evonne Goolagong lost to Ann Jones 62 61.

QF Margaret Court AUS (68 YER 5) beat Lesley Turner AUS (68 YER 9) 61 61
QF Rosie Casals USA (68 YER 10) beat Karen Krantzcke AUS 62 64
QF Billie Jean King USA (68 YER 1) bt Judy Tegart AUS (68 YER 7) 63 62
QF Kerry Melville AUS beat Ann Jones GBR (68 YER 6) 57 64 86.

SF Margaret Court beat Kerry Melville 63 60
SF Rosie Casals beat Billie Jean King 63 57 75

F Margaret Court beat Rosie Casals 61 62

In a top-class field, Court shows that she is back at the top after a mediocre 1968 season. Rosie enjoys a rare win over Billie Jean but can only claim three games from Madge.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #24
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1969 -1970 (16-22 March 1970)

L16 Evonne Goolagong lost 26 36 to Françoise Durr.

QF Billie Jean King USA (69 YER 3) beat Winnie Shaw GBR 64 75
QF Virginia Wade GBR (69 YER 9) bt Françoise Durr FRA 64 63
QF Rosie Casals USA (69 YER 6) bt Wendy Gilchrist AUS 46 63 61
QF Margaret Court AUS (69 YER 1) beat Karen Krantzcke AUS 62 62

SF Billie Jean King beat Virginia Wade 63 63
SF Margaret Court beat Rosie Casals 61 64

F Billie Jean King beat Margaret Court 62 46 63

The NSW state titles were awarded jointly with the Australian Open title, played at White City. However, an open tournament with a draw of 16 sponsored by Dunlop was held on the same courts in March: This was Margaret’s first defeat (if a 1967 walkover is discounted) in the NSW in a decade. Mrs King wins the tournament on her fourth attempt.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #25
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1970-1971 (January 4-10 1971)

L16 Betty Stove beat Evonne Goolagong 64 36 75

QF Margaret Court AUS (70 YER 1) bt Brenda Kirk RSA 61 62
QF Olga Morozova USSR bt Betty Stove NL 57 63 75
QF Gail Sherriff FRA beat Kris Kemmer USA 62 75
QF Kazuko Sawamatsu JPN beat Patti Hogan USA 63 64

SF Margaret Court AUS beat Gail Sherriff FRA 64 75
SF Olga Morozova USSR bt Kazuko Sawamatsu JPN 63 64

F Margaret Court beat Olga Morozova 62 62.

Margaret Court, the only Aussie left in the quarter finals, beats overseas players in the final three rounds to clinch her penultimate Sydney title.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #26
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1971-72 (3-9 Jan 1972)

QF Barbara Hawcroft AUS beat Olga Morozova USSR 62 63
QF Evonne Goolagong AUS beat A. Coleman AUS 63 61
QF Patti Coleman AUS beat Janet Young AUS 36 62 62
QF Virginia Wade GBR beat Margaret Tesch AUS 63 63

SF Goolagong (71 YER 1) beat Patti Coleman 75 60,
SF Wade (71 YER 8) beat Hawcroft. 63 62

F Evonne Goolagong beat Virginia Wade 61 76.

Evonne reverses the final result of the previous week’s Australian Open with a straight sets win over Virginia. The major shock is Morozova’s loss to youngster Hawcroft.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #27
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1973 (1-7 Jan 1973)

QF Margaret Court AUS (72 YER 4) beat
QF Karen Krantzcke AUS beat
QF Virginia Wade GBR (72 YER 6) beat
QF Evonne Goolagong (72 YER 2) AUS beat

SF Margaret Court beat Karen Krantzcke
SF Evonne Goolagong beat Virginia Wade 75 46 64

FI Margaret Court beat Evonne Goolagong 4-6 6-3 10-8

1971 Champion Margaret Court wins her last Sydney title in the longest (in terms of games) post-war final against 1972 title-holder Evonne Goolagong in what Evonne described in her autobiography “Home” (p235) as an “epic”.

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 6th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #28
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1973-1974 (29 Dec 1973- 6 Jan 1974)

QF Karen Krantzcke AUS beat Janet Newberry USA 62 62
QF Evonne Goolagong AUS (73 YER 4) beat Kazuko Sawamatsu JPN 76 63
QF Peggy Michel USA beat Pam Teeguarden USA 75 64
QF Helen Gourlay AUS beat Julie Heldman USA 61 64

SF Evonne Goolagong beat Peggy Michel 75 63
SF Karen Krantzcke beat Helen Gourlay 75 75

FI: Karen Krantzcke beat Evonne Goolagong 62 63.

With three US national top tenners in the draw, there is a strong American presence in the quarter finals although Chris Evert, in Australia for the Bonne Bell Cup and Australian Opens, does not enter. Evonne, suffering from severely blistered feet, is unexpectedly downed by former top tenner and New South Wales native Karen Krantzcke..
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #29
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1974 (16-22 Dec 1974)

QF Margaret Court AUS (74 YER: Not ranked) def Dianne Fromholtz AUS 67 63 61
QF Kerry Melville AUS (74 YER 5) beat Kazuko Sawamatsu JPN 46 62 61
QF Olga Morozova USSR (74 YER 4) beat Helen Gourlay AUS 75 36 64
QF Evonne Goolagong AUS (74 YER 3) beat Kerry Harris AUS 63 60

SF Margaret Court beat Kerry Melville 61 62
SF Evonne Goolagong beat Olga Morozova 64 75

FI: Evonne Goolagong beat Margaret Court 6-3 7-5

Evonne, returning from the United States and still coming to terms with the full impact of the sudden death of her father in a motor accident, notches up a fine win over Margaret Court, in the latter’s final appearance at White City, and joins Mary Carter-Reitano, BJ King and Jan Lehane as the only women to defeat Court in the NSW Championships since 1959. The field contains three members of the top 5 plus Court, who was on the comeback trail after the birth of her second child.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #30
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1975 (15-21 December)

QF Evonne Goolagong AUS (75 YER 5) beat Kathy Harter USA 60 75
QF Helga Niessen-Masthoff FRG beat Michelle Tyler GBR 16 62 61
QF Wendy Turnbull AUS beat Heidi Eisterlehner FRG 26 63 63
QF Sue Barker GBR beat Chris Matison AUS 64 62

SF Evonne Goolagong beat Helga Niessen-Masthoff 76 46 62
SF Sue Barker beat Wendy Turnbull 63 63

FI: Evonne Goolagong beat Sue Barker 62 64.

Although Goolagong was the only current top tenner in the QF, the semi final line-up contained four women who all made a GS final in their careers. Evonne won her third Sydney title with a win over rising star Barker.