Following the Family Tradition: Maria Sakkari - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 26th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #106
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Following the Family Tradition: Maria Sakkari

That's great!

She lost 4-6 1-6 in Spain, and Lucia ended up winning the title

10K Serbia:
R1 d. (Q) Monique Belovukovic AUS (NR) 6-2 6-0
R2 d. Ani Vangelova BUL (#986) 6-1 6-0
QF d. (Q) Mina Markovic SRB (NR) 6-1 6-1
SF d. Katarina Adamovic SRB (#966) 6-2 7-6(5)
F d. (7) Dea Herdzelas BIH (#661) 3-6 6-4 6-1
So many bakery products
Another title
She has won 28 of her last 32 singles matches
She has no points to defend until September
This will put her in the top 400 after Wimbledon

Also won the doubles title without dropping a set

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 26th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #107
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 05:59 AM   #108
country flag hellas719

Maria was on Greek TV in April

http://www.cretetv.gr/ΚΑΛΟ-ΜΕΣΗΜΕΡΙ-07042014/
This is the link. Maria is on from 1:35:30 until the end

Some highlights:
-She said life in tour is tough with all the traveling

-She started playing tennis at 6. She did other sports like karate, swimming, ballet, and athletics, but tennis was her favorite.

-She said her mother never pushed her to become a tennis player and she chose that sport by herself. She didn't learn about her mothers career until she was 11 years old and people were saying that she was Kanellopoulou's daughter and then she figured it out

-She said that it was tough playing tennis while being in school especially since schools in Greece are known for being very advanced compared to other countries. She said eventually she was able to do school online which helped her balance school and tennis.

-She spoke about how each tennis player has their own routines, etc.

-She said that players from other countries always tell her that they love playing in Heraklion because the weather is great and the Greek food is great.

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 06:00 AM   #109
country flag hellas719

25K Poland:
QR1 BYE
QR2 d. Agata Bachanek POL (NR) 6-1 6-0
QR3 d. (14) Alina Silich RUS (#893) 6-2 6-1
R1 d. (WC) Kim-Alice Grajdek GER (#724) 6-3 6-3
Ironically Maria played doubles with Grajdek as well (they lost R1)
R2 vs. Valeria Solovyeva RUS (#299)

Maria has won 31 of her last 35 singles matches
Also she's at a new career-high this week, #420

Old Jul 4th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #110
country flag Potapovushina
Not impressed.

Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute

She's in the SF actually!!!

Beat Solovyeva 4 & 3 in R2, and (Q)Mendesova 6-1 7-5 in QF!

SF vs. Petra Uberalova.
Potapovushina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #111
Not impressed.

Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute

Won 6-4 7-5.

Final vs. (7)Barbora Krejcikova.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #112
Not impressed.

Lost 4 & 1. Krejcikova is a very promising young player, congrats on making it to the final.
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #113
Not impressed.

With her final last week, she breaks into Top 400 for the 1st time this week, and reaches a new CHR of 384 (up 36 spots).
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #114
country flag hellas719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losing Streak View Post
With her final last week, she breaks into Top 400 for the 1st time this week, and reaches a new CHR of 384 (up 36 spots).
Actually, her points weren't even added yet. Those were from her 10K title in Serbia. This week her points from Poland were added and her ranking jumped even more, to 320

WOW, what an amazing tournament for her, coming from the qualies!
Now she has won 34 of her last 39 singles matches

Some TF posters were there in Poland for the tournament and here's what they said about Maria and they compared her to other players:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakan View Post
Sakkari is a mini-Mauresmo. Ver, very fit and also very passionate about the game, she really wants it. She's for sure a player to watch. Solovyeva on the other hand doesn't really seem to be to focused on tennis, her arms definitely didn't seem like arms of a tennis player..
Saw only 1 game of Sasnovich, didn't impress me with her game at all but her body is impressive - very fit but unlike Sakkari, more in a slim than muscled way...
Savic had the most impressive shots out of the players I saw but she lacks Sakkari's fire - she isn't very fit (had some jelly belly) and either hits a winner or an UE's, isn't really keen on finding Plan B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub View Post
Sakkari is indeed a mini-Mauresmo - i thought exactly the same, she even has the same way of walking. impressive shots and fighting spirit, quite emotional on court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapitalL View Post
It started raining after a reasonably competitive first set so they moved the match indoors on a hard court. Maria stood no chance in the 2nd :/

Old Jul 16th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #115
country flag hellas719

Some photos from the tournament and earlier tournaments this year:

Old Jul 16th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #116
country flag hellas719

Videos from Torun:
SF Full Match:

Final Full match:

Trophy ceremony:

Interview:

Here you can see Maria in the background taking pics with fans and then later on she is talking with her mother

Old Jul 16th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #117
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see her finally becoming relevant
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #118
Not impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
Actually, her points weren't even added yet. Those were from her 10K title in Serbia. This week her points from Poland were added and her ranking jumped even more, to 320
Oh, great! Hopefully she will break Top 300 this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
Now she has won 34 of her last 39 singles matches
Wow.

I don't get the comparison with Mauresmo at all though. She hits a double-handed backhand, and the single-handed backhand pretty much was Mauresmo's trademark. She much more reminds me of a Wickmayer for instance: aggressive but not so powerful, lots of fire and desire to win, emotional... Just my opinion.
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 03:38 AM   #119
country flag hellas719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losing Streak View Post
I don't get the comparison with Mauresmo at all though. She hits a double-handed backhand, and the single-handed backhand pretty much was Mauresmo's trademark. She much more reminds me of a Wickmayer for instance: aggressive but not so powerful, lots of fire and desire to win, emotional... Just my opinion.
I think the Mauresmo comparisons are more because of her competitiveness and the way she walks, and maybe also her dark blonde hair color

Interesting comparison with Wickmayer, I definitely see it. I can also see it with Cibulkova because of the grunt and the firepower . Also a little bit Cornet because Maria is very emotional and can get to balls that are hard to reach and play scrappy like Cornet when she needs to but can also be aggressive and hit winners like Cibulkova

Old Jul 25th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #120
country flag hellas719

Maria is the top seed at this week's 10K in Finland
R1 d. (WC) Nanette Nylund FIN (NR) 6-0 6-0
R2 d. Alina Silich RUS (#851) 6-1 6-2
QF vs. (6) Liubov Vasilyeva RUS (#722)

Also the top seed in doubles with Nancarrow (AUS). They beat a Finnish WC team 6-1 6-1 in R1 and then another Finnish WC team 6-0 6-0 in QF
SF vs. Czarnik POL/Lysakova RUS

And she reached a new career-high this week, 309!

EDIT-Just realized she turns 19 today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!