"Part-Timers" to recieve their impending reality check soon... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation "Part-Timers" to recieve their impending reality check soon...

This came up in another thread about Maria not playing in the Middle-East and apparently becoming a "Part-Timer." These players are no strangers as both Serena and Clijsters started this group. IMO I think their reality check has begun. The period where they could just play there way through majors and progressively get better with each match is deteriorating and that said they are actually playing even less than the past 2 years. IMO this was really eveident at the the 2011 USO final and my case strengthened this past AO with Kim, Serena, and Maria not capitalizing on the "so called" generation suck. IMO one of them at 80% should have taken that title for sure but not having actual match experience for 2 and a half months is to blame I think. And now they have put themselevs under more pressure IMO because they are letting the better players of this generation get slams and tons of confidence. Most importantly Vika and Kvitova, both these girls have good games that will only get better, put them both on a confidence high, and that makes Serena/Kim extremely beatable and not that much of threat anymore and certainly not intimidating. I think if they just played more, not necessarily a full schedule but just more and re-seasoned and kept their match play fresh it would be a totally different story and a win win for the sport and the fans. In short I think it is just a contradiction. They want to win the big tournaments and majors, but when they get there they are not fully prepared and get undesirable results and don't change their habits. Now it's biting them in the ass. It makes me angry cause I wnat to see them play somewhat frequently when they are playing well and at a good level because it brings hig quality tennis and excitement. I know they have other life obligations now but it seems like now they have bit off more than they can chew.

Let your impending bad reps and hateful comments commence.

Victoria Azarenka ~ Venus Williams
Maria Kirilenko ~ Petra Kvitova
VeeJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM   #2
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Part-Timers" to recieve their impending reality check soon...

I wouldn't consider Sharapova a part timer. But I agree otherwise.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:47 PM   #3
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

There was a time when Seles and Graf played less than 30 events between them!

Stupid issue as the grunting.
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:48 PM   #4
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't either but I am just going off of what other Masha Fans were saying in the "Where's Maria?" thread. I think she may be headed down that road soon though.

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:50 PM   #5
country flag nevetssllim
Stanning for Andi

nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute

Serena played three events before the US Open and was going okay in Brisbane until she hurt her ankle. You can hardly say it was a lack of matches which cost her those titles (yes, okay, she only had two matches in Brisbane but she was forced out of it). I think getting older has more to do with it rather than lack of matches.

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"
nevetssllim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:50 PM   #6
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaJa Swan View Post
I didn't either but I am just going off of what other Masha Fans were saying in the "Where's Maria?" thread. I think she may be headed down that road soon though.
She hasn't played both tournament since her comeback in 2009 but that doesn't make her a part timer like Serena or Clijsters, seriously it's not even comparable.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:52 PM   #7
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute

I think Sharapova falls more into "careful scheduling" category, not part timer. She played 15 events in the last 12 months and would have played 17 if not for the injury (she skipped Beijing and Moscow). Seems reasonable to me.
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:55 PM   #8
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaJa Swan View Post
This came up in another thread about Maria not playing in the Middle-East and apparently becoming a "Part-Timer." These players are no strangers as both Serena and Clijsters started this group. IMO I think their reality check has begun. The period where they could just play there way through majors and progressively get better with each match is deteriorating and that said they are actually playing even less than the past 2 years. IMO this was really eveident at the the 2011 USO final and my case strengthened this past AO with Kim, Serena, and Maria not capitalizing on the "so called" generation suck. IMO one of them at 80% should have taken that title for sure but not having actual match experience for 2 and a half months is to blame I think. And now they have put themselevs under more pressure IMO because they are letting the better players of this generation get slams and tons of confidence. Most importantly Vika and Kvitova, both these girls have good games that will only get better, put them both on a confidence high, and that makes Serena/Kim extremely beatable and not that much of threat anymore and certainly not intimidating. I think if they just played more, not necessarily a full schedule but just more and re-seasoned and kept their match play fresh it would be a totally different story and a win win for the sport and the fans. In short I think it is just a contradiction. They want to win the big tournaments and majors, but when they get there they are not fully prepared and get undesirable results and don't change their habits. Now it's biting them in the ass. It makes me angry cause I wnat to see them play somewhat frequently when they are playing well and at a good level because it brings hig quality tennis and excitement. I know they have other life obligations now but it seems like now they have bit off more than they can chew.

Let your impending bad reps and hateful comments commence.

This is exactly the problem. There's no way that players like Li Na, Schiavone, Stosur, Azarenka and Kvitova would be winning majors if the best players in the world were fully committed to the game.

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:57 PM   #9
country flag Stamp Paid
Sir Camaraderie

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetssllim View Post
Serena played three events before the US Open and was going okay in Brisbane until she hurt her ankle. You can hardly say it was a lack of matches which cost her those titles (yes, okay, she only had two matches in Brisbane but she was forced out of it). I think getting older has more to do with it rather than lack of matches.
Exactly.

Venus is 31, Serena is 30 and Kim is 28. And can barely string together more than 2 tournaments without an injury. It doesn't make any sense for their bodies to play a full-time schedule, despite how angry it supposedly makes the OP.

██████████████████ʘ
Ashe. Gibson. Williams. Williams.
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM   #10
country flag Pump-it-UP
Senior Stan

Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute

How does the USO final strengthen your argument? Serena played 12 matches in the USO Series, which is (I think?) the most she's played at that time ever. And because of that, she ended up peaking in the 1st weekend rather than the 2nd. She was anything but a part-timer last summer, and she ultimately paid the price for it.

And I don't think this AO is a good example either. Serena was garbage that entire tournament due to injury, not rust. I mean.. her Brisbane level was GOAT compared to how she was playing in Melbourne. And Kim was mediocre throughout, but she was still a few games away from winning the title making the final in which it's near certain that she would have clocked Finalpova. I don't consider that a reality check. It'll be a reality check when a fully-fit Serena or Kim is losing to the likes of Rus/Makarova.

GO AWAY Bitch!!! We don't want your Avon.
Pump-it-UP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:00 PM   #11
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetssllim View Post
Only 2 really count over the summer but that's beside the point. The big impending question is how did she lose that final? She had like a 3 week break or something from Toronto to the USO. I think that could have been the cause. DOn't get me wrong Stosur played GOAT, but Serena playing decent should have dispatched her in three sets or two tight ones.

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:10 PM   #12
country flag Young 8

Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute

There are no part-timers, just aging players

Wozniacki will burn out in 2/3 yrs at this pace

With ZERO Slams obviously
Young 8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:11 PM   #13
country flag Just Do It

Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute

I agree 100% with thread starter. I am sick of part timers. I give credit to Wozniacki for playing constantly throughout the year, even when she was #1 and had a big lead. People say she was whoring for points but in fact she was just playing like everyone else.
Just Do It is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:13 PM   #14
country flag Stamp Paid
Sir Camaraderie

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 8 View Post
There are no part-timers, just aging players

Wozniacki will burn out in 2/3 yrs at this pace

With ZERO Slams obviously
You would think a Jankovic fan would be able to understand this concept.

██████████████████ʘ
Ashe. Gibson. Williams. Williams.
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:14 PM   #15
country flag Young 8

Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Bon Vivant View Post
You would think a Jankovic fan would be able to understand this concept.
Exactly

Young 8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote