Tennis Forum banner

The race to London

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Djezonfly 
#1 ·
The race to London has already started, the girls started the season in full force trying to earn as much points as possible. The top 56 in the world on 11 June 2012 will qualify for the Olympics, however, entry is limited to four players from a country. This means the girls must be in Top56 in the world AND a Top4 Romanian to be 100% sure they are going to London. There are 17 weeks until the deadline but lots of points to defend...

Week 1
1. Monica Niculescu - 32 WTA
- points to defend: 357

2. Irina Begu - 45 WTA
- points to defend: 594

3. Sorana Cirstea - 54 WTA
- points to defend: 462

4. Simona Halep - 60 WTA
- points to defend: 366

5. Alexandra Dulgheru - 61 WTA
- points to defend: 693

I think only Moni's place is secure, she's well ranked and has very few points to defend. All the others have to fight hard for the remaining 3 spots...

See less See more
#2 ·
Although Simona is the one who has least points to defend I guess she will be the unlucky one in the end, but it will be a very close decision!

I hope Irina does make it, although her scheduling is a mess, but the Begu/Niculescu double is becoming quite a force at the moment!

#8 ·
I think Begu might miss it :sad:
She isn't playing well and still has points to defend from Marbella and RG. Then again, Dulgheru has points from Miami and Brussels and Halep from Fes...

#10 ·
^She still has the clay season to whore up points :p

#12 ·
2 months left...

#15 ·
Today's ranking. Irina is out, she needs to start winning some matches to qualify for London

1. [26] Monica Niculescu - 1730 pts.
2. [42] Soraqna Cirstea - 1206
3. [43] Simona Halep - 1195
4. [alt. 2] Irina Camelia Begu - 930
5. [alt. 8] Alexandra Cadantu - 781

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.