Indian Wells 2012: Leggo, Heaux! - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 16th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #91
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Indian Wells 2012: Leggo, Heaux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Sadly that's why I haven't bought tickets yet.
Madison Square Garden is huge and even the seats at the very top are pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #92
country flag Sp!ffy

Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieOwen3 View Post
yo sp!iffy behave from now on you bitch

i know it's hard
I'll try.........

No, but really. The SS needs me too much to be banned.
Sp!ffy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #93
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

How many days left till IW?

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #94
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jechijo View Post
How many days left till IW?
Around 16, I think
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #95
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
Around 16, I think
It's not that long! Maria will start practising and getting ready for it soon!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #96
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfalsetto View Post
I completely love it when maria fans start having some serious discussion on her chances in slam finals and her potential matches against vika and petra

Believe me, she will follow the steps of Ivanovic after her loss in 08 AO final and of Na Li after her loss in 11 AO final. Of course, on the soil of the almighty clay in Roland Garros

on a serious note, i have some thoughts, which are irrelevant to this post: why maria volleys (especially touch volleys) are so fucking underrated? I have been watching almost all of her highlights and damn, she has been showing some lovely touch at the end since she came out on scene in 2004. People talk like she can barely move her hands to touch with a ball at the net
For start, because she is the queen of drive volleys As far as I'm concerned, she is the one who made that shot popular in women's tennis. Seriously, ever noticed how men use it a lot less frequently? xD On the other hand, I remember that when I watched her Wimbledon final against Serena, I wondered why doesn't she play "regular" volleys anymore? Nowadays, it's like they don't even exist in her game, every net appearance is about the drives... Although, when she was playing Kerber in Paris, she did look like she was trying to get some of it back in her game, with drop shots, and more frequent net play. Plus, I barely ever see her hit a smash, she always waits for some higher version of the drive. Kind of understood why when she missed one routine against Azarenka at AO. Now, to conclude this semi-long observation of her game xD I really think that she should work on implementing more of net play in her game. She even has the perfect constitution for it. Remember Venus? She didn't have the most perfect volleys, but her arms were so long that it was nearly impossible to pass her unless the passing shot was perfect. Maria is sort of the same, she is really tall, which can only help her net game. Plus, as much as I love her aggressive baseline play, her life on the tennis court would be so much easier if she could finish the point with a good volley. This would work tremendously well against players like Vika and Woz. And she would definitely lower the chances of missing the next shot all the way from the baseline. She should add diversity in the net game for sure, before it was like "oh, she's preparing for a drive-great, I know she's not gonna miss it", and nowadays it's more like "oh, a drive-c'mon, concentrate and please don't miss it".
lol, this turned out to be a really long post
Tennisvampire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #97
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisvampire View Post
For start, because she is the queen of drive volleys As far as I'm concerned, she is the one who made that shot popular in women's tennis. Seriously, ever noticed how men use it a lot less frequently? xD On the other hand, I remember that when I watched her Wimbledon final against Serena, I wondered why doesn't she play "regular" volleys anymore? Nowadays, it's like they don't even exist in her game, every net appearance is about the drives... Although, when she was playing Kerber in Paris, she did look like she was trying to get some of it back in her game, with drop shots, and more frequent net play. Plus, I barely ever see her hit a smash, she always waits for some higher version of the drive. Kind of understood why when she missed one routine against Azarenka at AO. Now, to conclude this semi-long observation of her game xD I really think that she should work on implementing more of net play in her game. She even has the perfect constitution for it. Remember Venus? She didn't have the most perfect volleys, but her arms were so long that it was nearly impossible to pass her unless the passing shot was perfect. Maria is sort of the same, she is really tall, which can only help her net game. Plus, as much as I love her aggressive baseline play, her life on the tennis court would be so much easier if she could finish the point with a good volley. This would work tremendously well against players like Vika and Woz. And she would definitely lower the chances of missing the next shot all the way from the baseline. She should add diversity in the net game for sure, before it was like "oh, she's preparing for a drive-great, I know she's not gonna miss it", and nowadays it's more like "oh, a drive-c'mon, concentrate and please don't miss it".
this post is
well said!!!
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #98
country flag goldlion

goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold

The only difference between Maria and Vika&Petra is her quickness.

Azarenka is playing the best tennis of her career at the moment and when you're firing the balls, you are always a step quicker and more precise than your opponent. And that's what she's been doing. But I'm sure it won't last long as Djokovic of course.

Kvitova compensates her quickness by her ball strikes. Being a lefty and tall, she is able to create awkward angles and generates tremendous racquethead speed and depth and her opponent is often put out of position. To beat her you have to be on top of her in terms of running speed and retrieving because she can really miss an easy ball if you managed to just put it back in.

Maria's game has no problem but she can't really produce on big occasion. The consistency is still not there. What I like about her game at this moment is that she gives more variation to her service direction and she seems to be able to control her serve now which is a must if you wanna win big. Her forehand is lethal when on and backhand is brilliant. But she seems to take her drive volley away from her game now and let it bounce instead. I don't know why but she should definitely bring it back.
goldlion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #99
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldlion View Post
The only difference between Maria and Vika&Petra is her quickness.

Azarenka is playing the best tennis of her career at the moment and when you're firing the balls, you are always a step quicker and more precise than your opponent. And that's what she's been doing. But I'm sure it won't last long as Djokovic of course.

Kvitova compensates her quickness by her ball strikes. Being a lefty and tall, she is able to create awkward angles and generates tremendous racquethead speed and depth and her opponent is often put out of position. To beat her you have to be on top of her in terms of running speed and retrieving because she can really miss an easy ball if you managed to just put it back in.

Maria's game has no problem but she can't really produce on big occasion. The consistency is still not there. What I like about her game at this moment is that she gives more variation to her service direction and she seems to be able to control her serve now which is a must if you wanna win big. Her forehand is lethal when on and backhand is brilliant. But she seems to take her drive volley away from her game now and let it bounce instead. I don't know why but she should definitely bring it back.
We'll certainly know whether Maria can compete with either Azarenka or Kvitova in the next 6-9 months.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #100
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
nice observation. but a few things, though: she went for more net plays back in 2004 than she'd now, and as the year passes by, her net game just keeps dwindling, almost to the point that it'd have been completely gone from her game. And it's become such a generalized statement that sharapova sucks at net, sharapova "never" volleys, sharapova "can't" volley, etc. after going through most of her matches since a few weeks ago, that ignorant comment about her sucky net play is not totally true.

like i said, she has amazing touch. severely underrated in that department. and that's probably why i decided to compile those shots from her and made a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEMw8...46FAAAAAAAAAAA

for god's sake, an oversmash never should be the problem for her, considering her tall ass length it always makes me wonder why she bothers hitting those laborious drive volleys instead of making quick smashes.

about the venus comparison, venus is much more athletic and her body is considerably more robust than sharapova..so we just can't apply the same case to maria here. but again, most of the missed volleys from maria when players on the other side hit the passing shot is because she didn't even bother to stretch her frigging arms for whatever reason it looks like her not trying to risk and stretch and hit volleys, rather than being unable to do so.

but overall, looks like she would add much more to her game, especially under thomas' coaching. we can evidently see it when she is on clay. she tries to hit drop shots, come to net more often on clay than she usually does on other surfaces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
Can't grab a Slam, grab cash then
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #101
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

@sickfalsetto Great Vid!
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #102
country flag doooma6816

doooma6816 has much to be proud of doooma6816 has much to be proud of doooma6816 has much to be proud of doooma6816 has much to be proud of doooma6816 has much to be proud of doooma6816 has much to be proud of doooma6816 has much to be proud of doooma6816 has much to be proud of doooma6816 has much to be proud of doooma6816 has much to be proud of doooma6816 has much to be proud of

thanks for video, many amazing volleys!
Venus Ana Petra Pavly Franny
doooma6816 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #103
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty24 View Post
this post is
well said!!!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfalsetto View Post
nice observation. but a few things, though: she went for more net plays back in 2004 than she'd now, and as the year passes by, her net game just keeps dwindling, almost to the point that it'd have been completely gone from her game. And it's become such a generalized statement that sharapova sucks at net, sharapova "never" volleys, sharapova "can't" volley, etc. after going through most of her matches since a few weeks ago, that ignorant comment about her sucky net play is not totally true.

like i said, she has amazing touch. severely underrated in that department. and that's probably why i decided to compile those shots from her and made a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEMw8...46FAAAAAAAAAAA

for god's sake, an oversmash never should be the problem for her, considering her tall ass length it always makes me wonder why she bothers hitting those laborious drive volleys instead of making quick smashes.

about the venus comparison, venus is much more athletic and her body is considerably more robust than sharapova..so we just can't apply the same case to maria here. but again, most of the missed volleys from maria when players on the other side hit the passing shot is because she didn't even bother to stretch her frigging arms for whatever reason it looks like her not trying to risk and stretch and hit volleys, rather than being unable to do so.

but overall, looks like she would add much more to her game, especially under thomas' coaching. we can evidently see it when she is on clay. she tries to hit drop shots, come to net more often on clay than she usually does on other surfaces.
I never said she can't volley, but you are totally right, she has an amazing touch, and some of her drop volleys are just... But like I said, she doesn't use regular volleys a lot, which is really a shame.

Smash is one of the biggest mysteries about her game for me... I mean clearly, she doesn't feel comfortable hitting it, but I really can't see a reason for that. She is so tall, it should be easier for her I thought it might have something to do with the shoulder, but I play tennis, and a smash is very, very similar to a service motion, except that the serve is more elongated. And she got the serve pretty much under control now, so no reason to not do the same with a smash.

I compared her to Venus because of their height, but Venus was definitely more athletic, there's no question about that. Still, when Maria is forced or when she chooses to go to the net, her positioning is just... Terrible usually. It's actually rare when somebody passes her with a winner, she usually hits the ball with her frame. But, I got the same feeling as you did, like she could stretch more for those balls. But positioning, positioning, positioning!!! And another thing that baffles me: her movement after she hits a drop shot. Those shots are usually pretty good, if not even great, but God forbid if her opponent barely gets it back inside, she misses easy balls, because she didn't move an inch from the spot form which she played the shot...

All in all, I say bring the net game! Like I previously wrote, I think it would help a lot in finishing off the points against pushers, primarily Woz. If she could implement that in her game, and work a little bit more on her speed and foot work, she can become the Killer Masha that she was back in '08 (AO '08 )
Tennisvampire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 02:16 AM   #104
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

I know this starts during the week beginning March 5 but I'm near sure the actual play doesn't start till the Wednesday or Thursday, and as Masha gets a bye her first match is what Saturday/Sunday? at the earliest? Am i right
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 09:46 AM   #105
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks

I never said she can't volley, but you are totally right, she has an amazing touch, and some of her drop volleys are just... But like I said, she doesn't use regular volleys a lot, which is really a shame.

Smash is one of the biggest mysteries about her game for me... I mean clearly, she doesn't feel comfortable hitting it, but I really can't see a reason for that. She is so tall, it should be easier for her I thought it might have something to do with the shoulder, but I play tennis, and a smash is very, very similar to a service motion, except that the serve is more elongated. And she got the serve pretty much under control now, so no reason to not do the same with a smash.

I compared her to Venus because of their height, but Venus was definitely more athletic, there's no question about that. Still, when Maria is forced or when she chooses to go to the net, her positioning is just... Terrible usually. It's actually rare when somebody passes her with a winner, she usually hits the ball with her frame. But, I got the same feeling as you did, like she could stretch more for those balls. But positioning, positioning, positioning!!! And another thing that baffles me: her movement after she hits a drop shot. Those shots are usually pretty good, if not even great, but God forbid if her opponent barely gets it back inside, she misses easy balls, because she didn't move an inch from the spot form which she played the shot...

All in all, I say bring the net game! Like I previously wrote, I think it would help a lot in finishing off the points against pushers, primarily Woz. If she could implement that in her game, and work a little bit more on her speed and foot work, she can become the Killer Masha that she was back in '08 (AO '08 )
She will bring her net game for clay don't worry . Last year she was playing so good on the surface. Can't wait to see this year how she plays.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote