Serena Williams still reminding Pat Cash that delusion takes many forms - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 17th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #1
country flag Kunal

Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute
Serena Williams still reminding Pat Cash that delusion takes many forms

Some real talk from the other side of the pond.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...-cash-delusion

Since Pat Cash's newspaper column seven years ago, Serena has won 11 grand slam singles titles – including this year's US Open, above – and two Olympic gold medals. Photograph: John G. Mabangloble t/EPA

Sports reporters tend to cherish the moments when they got there first. That time when, shoe‑horned into some wind-blown press box you turn a glazed and bloodshot eye towards the pitch and find yourself gripped suddenly by some vision of the future: the infant superstar, the world champ in mufti, the man-child sporting genius emerging ready-made from his urban dustbin, nostrils flaring, a scowl of destiny across his brow.

Of course, this doesn’t happen very often, if ever. Most of the time the future presents itself and you just happen to be looking the other way. For example, I was in Innsbruck in June 2008 for Spain versus Russia, the moment the greatest international football team of the modern age began a run of 19 tournament matches that brought three trophies and a legend of glorious soft-touch collectivism. Not bad, this Spain team I wrote. One thing, though. They need to drop this Xavi chap. Too much passing. Slows things down. Yup, Xavi. The greatest midfielder of his era, who would define a champion style like no other player in history. He’s your problem. Just get it forward. Hit Fernando. Yes, well, demand it, son.

I mention this here because of the news this week about Serena Williams, who has retained the world No1 ranking, nudging up past Martina Hingis into fourth on the all-time list of longest No1s, while also turning up at the WTA finals in Singapore despite a chronic knee injury and thus helping to ensure that she ends the year ahead of perennial Serena-lite Maria Sharapova at the age of 33.

At moments such as these, you see, my thoughts turn to Pat Cash – Come on Pat! Up here! Ladies and gentlemen, Pat Cash! – who seven years ago wrote what is surely one of the great wrong calls of modern sporting history, a newspaper column in which he dismissed Williams as both “a lost cause” and “deluded”, a player with “a limited attention span”, lacking the “fortitude” and “application” to get back to winning tennis tournaments. To be fair, Cash had some evidence to support his views at the time and made his case with erroneous lucidity.

But the fact remains there has always been a part of tennis that has wanted Serena to fail: to turn out to be in some way a mistake, a lacuna, an oversight. As long ago as the 2005 Australian Open she was being forced to deny she was finished (a point she reinforced by winning the tournament). And two years later there was Cash, consigning to the dustbin of history – and he’s not angry here, just a little sad – one of his sport’s all-time great champion athletes, a washed up 25-year-old who would before long be eclipsed by the combined grand slam might of Ana Ivanovic and Nicole Vaidisova.

Since when – despite being so deluded and finished – Serena has won 11 grand slam singles titles and two Olympic gold medals. She didn’t just defeat Sharapova in the final of that Australian Open two weeks later, she annihilated her in an hour, chucked her racket in the air, did a lap of honour, high-fived the crowd and with a very genuine sense of eloquent and unmawkish affection, devoted the win to her murdered sister, Yetunde. So not, it seems, actually finished after all then.

Indeed one of the brilliant things about The Cash Declaration is that in attempting to list everything wrong with Serena it has instead turned out to be a perfect distillation of so many things that are right. Yes: she remains a serial comeback artist. But more than this, and as Cash captures so well, her success has come despite a vague, often unspoken, often spoken, sense of broader hostility. Not just the talk over the years of not taking tennis seriously enough by missing tournaments – as Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi did too at times – but beyond this the suggestion that her particular brand of on-court greatness counts a little less, as though to win this way – to be stronger, more athletic, more thrillingly competitive – is in some way cheating, a shortcut, a get-out.

Which is, of course, a basic misunderstanding of how sport works. Serena may not be built along the lines of the wonderfully dainty Martina Hingis, who played a set of tennis as though delivering a crisp, punitive lecture on geometry and basic physics to some hulking sixth form reprobate. She may not have the soft touch of Agneska Radwanska, who interprets the sport as a selection of beautiful little precision engineered moments, a bar room brawl that can still be won with a series of brilliantly timed sarcastic remarks. But nobody ever bludgeoned their way to 18 grand slams, just as power itself isn’t a gift but a craft, a product of timing and practice and technique. The Williams serve is a refined knockout blow. That famous forehand is a stately, beautifully orthodox thing of rotation and extension, and pure mechanical grace.

And this is the best thing about Serena: the comprehensive confounding of expectations. Here she comes: ditzy, a flake but somehow also supremely hard‑nosed, the girl who couldn’t concentrate but who is now the oldest WTA No1 of all time. Not to mention a career gadfly, with her avaricious outside interests; who is, it turns out, only the second-best-paid female tennis player behind Sharapova, who has remained top of the money charts through the last decade of being regularly swatted off court and who is even now hawking about her wretched sweet shop empire with apparent impunity.

There is, of course, talk now of a final reckoning-up in the months to come. That knee isn’t getting any easier and it seems all but impossible, entering the 20th year of her Cash-doomed, fortitude-free professional career that Williams will claim the four grand slams she needs to equal Steffi Graf in the open era.

And yet she remains a remarkable and indeed inspirational athlete. For now it might just be best – Hi, tennis! – to keep those oddly muted and conditional farewells on hold a little longer.

Last edited by Kunal : Oct 17th, 2014 at 04:39 PM.
Kunal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 17th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #2
country flag Hilazza47

Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of
Re: Serena Williams still reminding Pat Cash that delusion takes many forms

GOAT article

5 AUSTRALIAN OPEN ---2 ROLAND GARROS ---- 5 WIMBLEDON ---- -6 US OPENS

CAREER GOLDEN SLAMS IN BOTH SINGLES AND DOUBLES

JUST TWO SLAMS AWAY FROM COMPLETING THE BOXED SLAM
Hilazza47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #3
country flag I_CLAUDIA_1961
CONGRATS ON WINNING #18 SERENA JAMEKA!

I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute

GREAT READ.

Thanks OP
I_CLAUDIA_1961 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #4
country flag Kunal

Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute

guys is this true what he says in the article that by participating in singapore she will ensure she stays number 1?

"...while also turning up at the WTA finals in Singapore despite a chronic knee injury and thus helping to ensure that she ends the year ahead of perennial Serena-lite Maria Sharapova at the age of 33."
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #5
country flag Hilazza47

Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of Hilazza47 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunal View Post
guys is this true what he says in the article that by participating in singapore she will ensure she stays number 1?

"...while also turning up at the WTA finals in Singapore despite a chronic knee injury and thus helping to ensure that she ends the year ahead of perennial Serena-lite Maria Sharapova at the age of 33."
She has to win most if not all her matches. It depends on how well pova does.

5 AUSTRALIAN OPEN ---2 ROLAND GARROS ---- 5 WIMBLEDON ---- -6 US OPENS

CAREER GOLDEN SLAMS IN BOTH SINGLES AND DOUBLES

JUST TWO SLAMS AWAY FROM COMPLETING THE BOXED SLAM
Hilazza47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #6
country flag Sui

Sui is a splendid one to behold Sui is a splendid one to behold Sui is a splendid one to behold Sui is a splendid one to behold Sui is a splendid one to behold Sui is a splendid one to behold Sui is a splendid one to behold Sui is a splendid one to behold Sui is a splendid one to behold Sui is a splendid one to behold Sui is a splendid one to behold

The ease at which some dismissed and continue to dismiss Serena is appalling. Serena never fit a mold and that hostility and lack of proper respect to someone who is a champion some never wanted only hurts tennis.
I winin' to impress!
Oh gosh ah drunk again!
Sui is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #7
country flag Smitten

Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But the fact remains there has always been a part of tennis that has wanted Serena to fail: to turn out to be in some way a mistake, a lacuna, an oversight. As long ago as the 2005 Australian Open she was being forced to deny she was finished
So true. Poor them. Sarin & Legend >>>>>
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #8
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

Nice article. It's true that Serena doesn't get the respect of Roger Federer for her achievements, but, the WTA as a whole doesn't get the respect of the ATP which is sad.
crescentmoon is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #9
country flag serenafan08

serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome read! Serena still going strong at 33. Loves it!

5 AO ('03, '05, '07, '09, '10), 2 FO ('02, '13)
5 WBN ('02, '03, '09, '10, '12), 6 USO ('99, '02, '08, '12, '13, '14)
serenafan08 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #10
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Common sense still reminding the author of that article that there's a big difference between being "totally utterly incorrect" with a prediction and "delusion." Delusion would be like stating "SW doesn't have the best serve in women's tennis/"
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Common sense still reminding the author of that article that there's a big difference between being "totally utterly incorrect" with a prediction and "delusion." Delusion would be like stating "SW doesn't have the best serve in women's tennis/"
He said that Amelie Mauresmo "hits just as hard, if not harder" than Serena and Venus. There was delusional content in that article. Labelling Serena a "lost cause" was highly delusional.

Pov, it is really is a good idea to read the actual articles, and underlying articles, when you comment on them.
Olórin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #12
country flag PLP

PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute

Great article!

Forgotten about the Pat Cash thing.
Poor guy, he is still pretty sexy though, have to admit.

Martina Hingis Forever!!!
PLP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #13
country flag Vlover

Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunal View Post
Some real talk from the other side of the pond.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...-cash-delusion

... But nobody ever bludgeoned their way to 18 grand slams, just as power itself isn’t a gift but a craft, a product of timing and practice and technique. The Williams serve is a refined knockout blow. That famous forehand is a stately, beautifully orthodox thing of rotation and extension, and pure mechanical grace.

And this is the best thing about Serena: the comprehensive confounding of expectations. Here she comes: ditzy, a flake but somehow also supremely hard‑nosed, the girl who couldn’t concentrate but who is now the oldest WTA No1 of all time. Not to mention a career gadfly, with her avaricious outside interests; who is, it turns out, only the second-best-paid female tennis player behind Sharapova, who has remained top of the money charts through the last decade of being regularly swatted off court and who is even now hawking about her wretched sweet shop empire with apparent impunity.

And yet she remains a remarkable and indeed inspirational athlete. For now it might just be best – Hi, tennis! – to keep those oddly muted and conditional farewells on hold a little longer.
Well stated! The highlighted should be bookmarked for those who are of the misconception that Serena wins based on her strength. As I often stated Serena was not born with a superior serve, ROS, forehand and backhand but she worked very hard to perfect her tennis skills and that is why she wins more often than not.

Much to the chagrin of people like Pat Cash, who wanted her to fail they now have to acknowledge that she is now one of the great FEMALE tennis players and there is nothing they can do about it.

I hope the knee gets better because I just don't want this to end any time soon because I'm enjoying every moment she rubs the haters noses in it.
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #14
country flag sirbenson

sirbenson has much to be proud of sirbenson has much to be proud of sirbenson has much to be proud of sirbenson has much to be proud of sirbenson has much to be proud of sirbenson has much to be proud of sirbenson has much to be proud of sirbenson has much to be proud of sirbenson has much to be proud of sirbenson has much to be proud of sirbenson has much to be proud of

Fantastic article!!
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #15
country flag shoryuken

shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a refresher:

Quote:
Williams is lost cause

Pat Cash

For all her talk, Serena Williams will never return to the top again

IF ANYBODY is qualified to make deluded statements about tennis, it is a former world No 1 and winner of seven Grand Slam titles. But when Serena Williams arrives in Australia on her first foreign playing trip in a year and announces that it is only a matter of time before she is again dominating the sport, it’s time to tell her to get real.

Tennis is unforgiving. You can’t let it slide down the list of priorities, only to realise suddenly that playing the sport was what you wanted to do all along. Many have tried to turn back the clock, but nearly all have failed. That list includes Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Martina Hingis and, for different reasons, Monica Seles.

Admittedly this quartet experienced some success. The exploits of Hingis reaffirm the belief that a good champion never completely loses the gift, but she has gone only a fraction of the way and the No 1 ranking she held for a couple of years is far out of reach. Why? Tennis moved on in her absence.

The only players I can recall who let things slip, only to climb back to the top, were Andre Agassi and Jennifer Capriati. Williams should ask herself if she has the same dedication. And is she prepared to make the sacrifices? The answer is obvious.

As the saying so often used by McEnroe goes: “The older I get, the better player I used to be.” I take issue with Mac over many things, but not the merits of those words.

Williams may be in better physical shape this year than when she pitched up for the 2006 Australian Open, but her three matches in Hobart last week were her first in tournament play since the US Open almost four months ago. Add to that the fact that last year she opted not to play outside the US after losing in the third round in Melbourne and you cannot fail to agree that her application is lacking.

The Williams sisters changed the face of women’s tennis, taking power play to previously unimaginable levels. They blazed everybody else out of their path. But Serena clearly has a limited attention span. At her peak she had no patience in the way she played her tennis. Now she does not appear to have the fortitude to stick at what she is trying to do.

I never experienced a fraction of the success and dominance that she enjoyed, but there came a time in my career when everything associated with being a top player seemed suffocating. I wanted to do different things and the thought of heading to the practice court seemed like purgatory. Eventually I realised how much tennis meant to me and tried to make up for lost time, but although the spirit was willing, the body was not. And it made for years of frustration.

In the same way I maintained that my main interest was aspiring to be a rock musician for a couple of years, Williams said she was an actress. She also got involved in the fashion world and seemed to love every second of it. Good on her. She is entitled to do whatever she wants, and if it made her happy, what more could she ask?

Everybody knows she and Venus had no real choice when their father, Richard, decided that much of their childhood would be spent hitting tennis balls. Who can be surprised that this promotes a desire to do something different? But to make such a crass statement on her arrival in Australia was an insult to Amelie Mauresmo and Maria Sharapova, who have risen to the top of the game in her absence.

They are the new winning breed. They are tall and hit the ball just as hard as the Williams sisters, if not harder. Coming through are Jelena Jankovic, Nicole Vaidisova and Ana Ivanovic, who possess similar firepower and just need a little more experience.

There is so much more depth to the women’s game nowadays. No longer do we disregard the first week of a Grand Slam as a warm-up for the real confrontations that are to come.

I still don’t expect too many upsets before the quarter-finals, but neither do I expect Serena Williams, currently the world’s 81st-ranked player, with eight Americans above her in the rankings, to be in the mix at the sharp end of the tournament.
\ /
I IV
serenaslam.tumblr.com
shoryuken is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote