Sorana in Down Under (Rebirth or Back to Suck?) - the Start of 2012 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 31st, 2011, 08:53 AM   #1
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute
Sorana in Down Under (Rebirth or Back to Suck?) - the Start of 2012

Sorry, I should have opened it earlier...

Sorana will play Auckland, Hobart and of course the Australian Open!

I wish her and all her fans a happy new year!
Advertisement

Old Dec 31st, 2011, 08:54 AM   #2
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sorana in Down Under (Rebirth or Back to Suck?) - the Start of 2012

WTA Auckland, Main Draw:

(4)Flavia Pennetta (ITA) v Sorana Cirstea (ROU)
(wc)Sacha Jones (NZL) v Elena Baltacha (GBR)
(wc)Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK) v Elena Vesnina (RUS)
Rebecca Marino (CAN) v (6)Roberta Vinci (ITA)

I have a weird feeling that she can pull the upset here...
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 12:08 PM   #3
country flag vuhvuh

vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all

sooo I expect a loss =/ grrrr
vuhvuh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 12:01 AM   #4
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Please win Sori!

Doubles with Jurak vs. Barrois/Groenefeld

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 04:47 AM   #5
country flag Langers

Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute

Pennetta will be too solid I think.

I like her schedule though, Hobart is another great choice. Hopefully she gets a kinder draw there.
Langers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 07:26 AM   #6
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Tough draw. But she will be on centre court so will be televised here (and maybe streamed?).
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 01:38 PM   #7
country flag Curcubeu

I've asked Linda and she said streams should be available today!

I'm going to watch it because Alexandra is just playing beforehand, anyway, so I will write a match report if streams allow me to do so!
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 06:50 PM   #8
country flag vuhvuh

vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all vuhvuh is a name known to all

Yeah there will be stream but I cant watch it omg nor Ana I am so saad ;( hope someone will upload it somewhere here then :/
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 02:30 AM   #9
country flag Curcubeu

Lost to Pennetta 4-6, 6-7

But much, much better than the shitfest produced by her compatriot before...

Insane firepower, but also a completely show bag, switching from complete club level in the first couple of games to decent level later, insane winners followed by loosy errors most of them caused by sluggish footwork. However, one of her better days at the office especially in the defense. She should make the Top 50 in the upcoming months!

A performance to build up on and you really have the feeling that she can beat anyone out there on a decent day, especially with the power she offers. Getting her old coach back was the right step to take
and now I'm already looking forward to Horbat!

Oh, and I forgot that she saved 4 MPs, 2 at 4-5 and 2 in the TB, but on the other hand she also led 3-1 in the second and 3-1 in the TB, a typical Sorana mess...

Last edited by Curcubeu : Jan 2nd, 2012 at 02:35 AM.
Curcubeu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:22 AM   #10
country flag Langers

Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute

Defence and footwork, her two biggest issues, amongst others. Actually the more you think about it, she is a very flawed player, but with obvious potential and upside.

Decent scoreline, hopefully she receives an easier draw in Hobart and gets a few wins there. We don't want a repeat of... 2009? where she started the season with like 6 or 7 straight losses.
Langers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:29 AM   #11
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Lost in doubles too. 3 and 1. But ALG and Barrois are quite a tough pair.

I agree with what Curcubeu and Langers say above. Her defence and footwork is the weakness, but she always hits some huge winners. Big serve, big fh, even a big bh. Nothing Flavia could do when she was landing them. Enormous difference in forehand firepower between the two. But she loses her balance on shots too easily, and she goes for huge winners when out of position (I presume because she just doesn't believe she can defend for very long). It's funny, she looks like she is in shape, but I guess she is just lucky with her figure, because she doesn't move like she's in great shape.

If you want to play the game the way Sorana likes to play (hit big all the time) I think you need to be able to hit the first shot very well. That includes the return of serve, which Kvitova does well and Davenport did before her. Sorana doesn't hit that return well enough at the moment. So she either needs to become better with that or learn to move better and rally more consistently in order to set up her attacking shots. I'll probably review the recording later and see if there's anything more to say.

Last edited by HowardH : Jan 2nd, 2012 at 05:35 AM.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #12
country flag Curcubeu

WTA Hobart, Main Draw:

(7)Ksenia Pervak (KAZ) vs. Sorana Cîrstea (ROU)
(wc)Ashleigh Barty (AUS) vs. Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA)
Johanna Larsson (SWE) vs. sara Errani (ITA)
(4)Angelique Kerber (GER) vs. Elena Vesnina (RUS)

She has already beaten Ksenia last year and I doubt that she was in better form then...

I hope she can do some damage here!
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #13
country flag vuhvuh

she must beat Pervak then Beth or Barty. Beth is one of my fav players. and barty is a junior still but on twitter some people from knowing tennis reporters and that some experts writing that barty plays really wel etc. I think she should make QF otherwise for me shes real bad =/
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #14
country flag Andiyan

Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute

Puhleeeeeeeaz she must get 2 wins here at least !!
Andiyan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #15
country flag Curcubeu

Hobart, R1: Sorana Cîrstea def. (7)Ksenia Pervak 6-2 7-6(6)

Sorana was the better player throughout the match, dictated the rallies with her power (although Hobart is slower than some clay), and kept her UEs on a percentage which permitted her to never let Pervak get really into the match. Ksenia was rather useless, though, one deep ball to the baseline and she was toast. In the second set Sorana already had a MP at 5-4, couldn't convert, had 5-2 in the TB which went to 5-6 after some of the worst serves ever, but a sign of the mentally much more stable Sorana is that she held on and closed it out in 2 sets, even finishing it with a nice winner. Something which wouldn't have been that possible a few months ago!

Mattek-sands or Barty next!