The Official Married Names Thread - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #121
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Official Married Names Thread

Quote:
The player who comes after Marie Toomey in the thread married Luis Alaya, but her name has been accidentally deleted and I can't remember who she was.
That would be Maria Tort, who wed fellow player Luis Ayala.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 15th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #122
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
Added. I'm not sure where to put the Margaret.
I'd put it in the bin!
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #123
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
That would be Maria Tort, who wed fellow player Luis Ayala.
Thanks, I've added Maria Tort's name and country back in.
-----
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #124
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

The player known as J. Corder and J.M. Corder (same person) won the singles title at the Scottish Championships in 1893 and at the Welsh Championships in 1895. Her surname sounds Scottish but, like Helen Jackson and Muriel Robb, she came from Newcastle-upon-Tyne in Northumberland, just south of the Scottish border.

Her full name was Jane Marie Corder. She was born in 1874 and married in 1899. She appears to have stopped playing tournament tennis after her marriage. Her husband, John Wardle Donald, an architect, died in 1906. He seems to have had two children from an earlier marriage. It appears that Jane didn't have any children with him. Her date of death is not known.
-----
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #125
country flag newmark401

"The Field" magazine for 1882 always refers to Frances Morris, winner of the singles title at the West of England Championships in Bath in that year, as "Miss F. Morris". So it's clear that, contrary to what was originally thought, that particular player was definitely not married at the time of her greatest success.
-----
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #126
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

New one for you Mark.

BEVIR, ”KATHLEEN” (nee L Kathleen C Raikes)
United Kingdom (Wales)
Married Oliver Bevir (1891-1967) in 1924 in Wales.
He was a Rear-Admiral in the Royal Navy.

In Wimbledon doubles draw in 1926. Prominent in Welsh events. She was only daughter of Mr F.W. RAIKES, J.P., and Mrs RAIKES, of Cefn Coed, Malpas

Won Welsh Chmps in 1923
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #127
country flag Olympus

Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice

Quote:
New one for you Mark.

BEVIR, ”KATHLEEN” (nee L Kathleen C Raikes)
United Kingdom (Wales)
Married Oliver Bevir (1891-1967) in 1924 in Wales.
He was a Rear-Admiral in the Royal Navy.

In Wimbledon doubles draw in 1926. Prominent in Welsh events. She was only daughter of Mr F.W. RAIKES, J.P., and Mrs RAIKES, of Cefn Coed, Malpas

Won Welsh Chmps in 1923
That's;
Lilias Kathleen Cochrane Raikes
Born 10 December 1892 Newport
Died 1979 Bath

Her brother Kenneth was a first-class cricketer.
Olympus is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #128
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
That's;
Lilias Kathleen Cochrane Raikes
Born 10 December 1892 Newport
Died 1979 Bath

Her brother Kenneth was a first-class cricketer.
Thanks Olympus! One of her middle names makes me believe we might be able to use her to get at a couple more Welsh identities.

Note the use of "Cochrane." My old geneology research tells me that this was often used to honor a mother's maiden name. Thus could Kathleen's mother have been a Cochrane who married a Raikes?

And if this is so we have 3 Cochrane names that need clearing up.

Mark has Ethel COCHRANE, as winner of the 1893 Welsh Championships.
Note Max Robertson (1973 Encyclopedia of Tennis) has her as Miss M Cochrane. Perhaps she was an M Ethel Cochrane, or vice versa?

There is also a J COCHRANE who was RU to H Ridding in the 1897 Welsh Chmps. Does she=Ethel Cochrane, or is she a sister or other close relative?

The dates (post 1892) suggest neither of these women was Kathleen's mother, but the same name and same geographic area (Wales) does suggest they could be her aunts. Perhaps there is a third Cochrane?

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 20th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM   #129
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

HARVEY, FLORA (nee Flora Headley Brown)
United Kingdom/United States
Born circa 1878 in Cambridge, England, UK
Died 31 August 1954 in Philadelphia, PA, US
Married Gilbert Alexander Harvey (born circa 1863) on 4 September 1900 in Philadelphia.

Studied at Oxford. She arrived in the US around 1900. According to her obit in the NYT “Mrs Harvey was widely known as a pianist and composer and as a tennis player.”

In the NYT she first appeared as Mrs Gilbert Harvey “of Buffalo” in 1911.
Sources: 1920 US Census. No childrenliving in household in 1920 census.

[It would be interesting to discover if she took up tennis in England or the US]
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 02:39 PM   #130
country flag Olympus

Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice

Quote:
Thanks Olympus! One of her middle names makes me believe we might be able to use her to get at a couple more Welsh identities.

Note the use of "Cochrane." My old geneology research tells me that this was often used to honor a mother's maiden name. Thus could Kathleen's mother have been a Cochrane who married a Raikes?

And if this is so we have 3 Cochrane names that need clearing up.

Mark has Ethel COCHRANE, as winner of the 1893 Welsh Championships.
Note Max Robertson (1973 Encyclopedia of Tennis) has her as Miss M Cochrane. Perhaps she was an M Ethel Cochrane, or vice versa?

There is also a J COCHRANE who was RU to H Ridding in the 1897 Welsh Chmps. Does she=Ethel Cochrane, or is she a sister or other close relative?

The dates (post 1892) suggest neither of these women was Kathleen's mother, but the same name and same geographic area (Wales) does suggest they could be her aunts. Perhaps there is a third Cochrane?
This works out perfectly.
Kathleen's mother was Lilias Gertrude Cochrane who happens to have a younger sister called Ethel.
Ethel was born in 1871 in Middlesbrough. She appears to have no Welsh connection apart from her sister's residence.

But there is also a M. Cochrane. Maud appears to be Ethel's twin sister buy no J. Cochrane however.
Their father, Henry, was an "ironmaster" and president of Middlesbrough Football Club.
Olympus is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 09:25 AM   #131
country flag newmark401

I got the name Ethel Cochrane from an edition of "Pastime" from around the time that player won the singles title at the Welsh Championships (summer of 1893). They gave her first name to distinguish her from her sister(s), who also played tennis. But they didn't give her sister's or sisters' first names.

However, it makes sense that Ethel, Lilias and Maud were all sisters, and that one of their daughters, Kathleen, also played tournament tennis. So the winners of the women's singles title at the Welsh Championships in 1893 and 1923 were aunt and niece respectively.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM   #132
country flag newmark401

Quote:
HARVEY, FLORA (nee Flora Headley Brown)
United Kingdom/United States
Born circa 1878 in Cambridge, England, UK
Died 31 August 1954 in Philadelphia, PA, US
Married Gilbert Alexander Harvey (born circa 1863) on 4 September 1900 in Philadelphia.
Added, thanks.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:33 PM   #133
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

ELIZABETH FENTON
Australia
Born 1946
Married John Craig
Jimbo109 is online now View My Blog!  
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 06:02 PM   #134
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post

PATRICIA "TRISH" MCLENAUGHAN
Australia
Born
Married R. N. Faulkner
The exact surname is McCLENAUGHAN
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #135
country flag Jimbo109

JUDY GRANGEL
Australia
Married Purdy
Closed Thread