The Official Married Names Thread - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #106
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all
Re: The Official Married Names Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
May's third husband's name is Guy Fritz btw.
Added, thanks.
newmark401 is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 10th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #107
country flag Olympus

Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice

Update on a player mentioned earlier in this thread.
Ruth Isabel PENNINGTON-LEGH (WINCH)
Born 26th August 1870 Ryde, Isle of Wight
Died late 1951 or early 1952 Anglesey, Wales.

I'm left with one mystery from the ladies of the 1908 Olympic tourament - Mildred Coles.
I currently have notes on her as follows:
"J. Mildred Coles - possibly known as Maud Coles? and possibly the great-aunt of Glynis Coles-Bond?
But this may be an amalgam of two or maybe even three different players."
Olympus is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #108
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Mark is your better source on Mildred also using " Maud" as a name.

What I can confirm (via WTA Media Guides) is that the Mildred Coles who played the 1908 Olympics was indeed the great aunt of Glynis Coles.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #109
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Update on a player mentioned earlier in this thread.
Ruth Isabel PENNINGTON-LEGH (WINCH)
Born 26th August 1870 Ryde, Isle of Wight
Died late 1951 or early 1952 Anglesey, Wales.

I'm left with one mystery from the ladies of the 1908 Olympic tourament - Mildred Coles.
I currently have notes on her as follows:
"J. Mildred Coles - possibly known as Maud Coles? and possibly the great-aunt of Glynis Coles-Bond?
But this may be an amalgam of two or maybe even three different players."
Hi,

Thanks for the additional info on Ruth Winch.
--

As for Mildred Coles, she is very difficult to track down. It appears that Mildred was her real first name, although this might not have been the case. However, she did definitely have a sister, J. Coles (first name unknown). I've never heard of Mildred being referred to as Maud. The contemporary sources always refer to her just as "Miss M. Coles".

Mildred is listed as Mildred Coles in this quite reliable Olympic tennis media guide: http://2012.itftennis.com/media/80351/80351.pdf

Also, Mildred Coles married a Mr Davis around 1914, but it has not been possible to track down the exact details of this marriage. I didn't know that she was related to Glynis Coles.
-----
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #110
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Unsure how realiable this Beckenham list is-but it lists her as Miss J Mildred Coles in 1911.

http://www.beckenhamtennisclub.co.uk...eck_W_Roll.pdf
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #111
country flag Olympus

Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=r...ed=0CDEQ6AEwAA
This is the reference to "Maud Coles" from 1977.
Olympus is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #112
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Digging some more I find the J Mildred Coles (from Beckenham) a bit suspect. The Wimbledon draws are quite explicit in listing Mildred as M Coles. There is both a M (Mildred) Coles and a J Coles in the 1912 Wimbledon draw.

Ayres Almanac from 1920 also lists M Coles as the winner of a 1907 event in Belgium.

From the scanty evidence I would go with the following:

1. Mildred Coles=M Coles who played in the 1908 Olympics.

2. Given your source she may also have went by "Maud". This isn't too uncommom. The Irish player Louisa Martin was also known as "Mollie".

3. J Coles (a younger sister?) is distinct from M Coles.

4. Until we know for certes any reference to a JM Coles might be an error coflating the two women.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #113
country flag newmark401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Digging some more I find the J Mildred Coles (from Beckenham) a bit suspect. The Wimbledon draws are quite explicit in listing Mildred as M Coles. There is both a M (Mildred) Coles and a J Coles in the 1912 Wimbledon draw.

Ayres Almanac from 1920 also lists M Coles as the winner of a 1907 event in Belgium.

From the scanty evidence I would go with the following:

1. Mildred Coles=M Coles who played in the 1908 Olympics.

2. Given your source she may also have went by "Maud". This isn't too uncommom. The Irish player Louisa Martin was also known as "Mollie".

3. J Coles (a younger sister?) is distinct from M Coles.

4. Until we know for certes any reference to a JM Coles might be an error coflating the two women.
Mildred Coles could have been Joan Mildred Coles or Jane Mildred Coles, but popularly known as Mildred. Hence the "Miss M. Coles" always found in sources. J. Coles was definitely Mildred's sister.
--

Strangely enough, I've never ever seen Louisa Martin being mentioned as "Mollie" or "Molly" in any sources whatsoever, including Irish ones. I believe the only source for this is Arthur "Bud" Collins, who also referred to Dorothea Douglass (later Lambert Chambers) as "Dolly". It's clear, however, that although her full name was Mary Louisa Martin, she was known as Louisa. Hence the "Miss L. Martin" in contemporary sources.

Given the discretion exercised by journalists back when these players were active, it's extremely unlikely that either of these players had such a nickname. Dorothea Douglass was a vicar's (?) daughter, so "Dolly" would have been a highly inappropriate nickname for someone from her background.
-----
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 05:21 AM   #114
country flag something

something is a glorious beacon of light something is a glorious beacon of light something is a glorious beacon of light something is a glorious beacon of light something is a glorious beacon of light something is a glorious beacon of light something is a glorious beacon of light something is a glorious beacon of light something is a glorious beacon of light something is a glorious beacon of light something is a glorious beacon of light

Dulko with Gago (The football player)
and Yan Zi with Li Sheng Jin (A Chinese merchant)
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #115
country flag newmark401

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
Dulko with Gago (The football player)
and Yan Zi with Li Sheng Jin (A Chinese merchant)
Added, thanks.

Mark
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #116
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Strangely enough, I've never ever seen Louisa Martin being mentioned as "Mollie" or "Molly" in any sources whatsoever, including Irish ones. I believe the only source for this is Arthur "Bud" Collins, who also referred to Dorothea Douglass (later Lambert Chambers) as "Dolly". It's clear, however, that although her full name was Mary Louisa Martin, she was known as Louisa. Hence the "Miss L. Martin" in contemporary sources.
Collins may have picked up on it, but it comes from an older source. On page 267 of Max Robertson's Encyclopedia of Tennis he refers to her as "Molly: Martin.

Quote:
Given the discretion exercised by journalists back when these players were active, it's extremely unlikely that either of these players had such a nickname. Dorothea Douglass was a vicar's (?) daughter, so "Dolly" would have been a highly inappropriate nickname for someone from her background.
To me there's a big distinction between having a nickname and journalists using one. I agree that it's highly unlikely that journalists would have latched on to nickname unless the player had a real preference. Place matters here too, with Aussies and Americans being a lot more likely to use nicknames-note the high use of "Bessie" Moore.

Collins is inventive, so I have no idea if Chambers did use "Dolly." Being a vicar's daughter would have made no difference though in preventing her from using it as a nickname in the right cicumstances. After all Queen Victoria was "Vicky", King Edward VII "Bertie", and Kaiser Wilhelm II "Willy".
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #117
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

Quote:
After all Queen Victoria was "Vicky", King Edward VII "Bertie", and Kaiser Wilhelm II "Willy".
Wasn't Queen Vic "Drina" for most of her childhood? Her daughter, Empress Frederick was "Vicky" though.
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #118
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Wasn't Queen Vic "Drina" for most of her childhood? Her daughter, Empress Frederick was "Vicky" though.
Yep. I stand corrected on Queen Victoria. Not for the first (or last) time!
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #119
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
MARGARET TOOMEY
Australia
Born
Died
Married Martin
I have

TOOMEY, MARIE (Marie Therese Toomey)
Australia (NSW)
Married George Martin on 28 February 1950

*Note GT has Margaret-perhaps a nickname.

See

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...rchTerm=george
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #120
country flag newmark401

Quote:
I have

TOOMEY, MARIE (Marie Therese Toomey)
Australia (NSW)
Married George Martin on 28 February 1950

*Note GT has Margaret-perhaps a nickname.

See

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...rchTerm=george
Added. I'm not sure where to put the Margaret.
--

The player who comes after Marie Toomey in the thread married Luis Alaya, but her name has been accidentally deleted and I can't remember who she was.
-----
Closed Thread