The Official Married Names Thread - Page 57 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:21 PM   #841
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all
Re: The Official Married Names Thread

HELEN MARGARET RECKITT
United Kingdom
Born 1880
Died 28 March 1953
Married John Mason Flavelle, 1907

Helen Reckitt played a litte tournament tennis; her husband John M. Flavelle played quite a lot and had some notable successes at the sport. He was born in England, though his father was from Ireland. John M. Flavelle was a medical doctor by profession.

The marriage took place in Saint George's Church, Hanover Square, London, in the latter half of 1907.
-----
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 02:32 PM   #842
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
CECILY MARY BRINDLEY HARTLEY
United Kingdom
Born 1894
Died 1972
Married George A. Marriott, 1916
Nice find on this Mark. Do we know if her husband played tennis? If he did it might offer a clue to the full name of of a Miss Marriott, often found in draws of the 1920s.

Recently I found out that Mrs Winston Churchhill played a couple of Riviera events in 1923. I am trying to get ahold of a copy of a book that details letters between her and Winston in the hope it will add to our name list. She was a good friend of Victor Cazelet.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:04 PM   #843
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Nice find on this Mark. Do we know if her husband played tennis? If he did it might offer a clue to the full name of of a Miss Marriott, often found in draws of the 1920s.

Recently I found out that Mrs Winston Churchhill played a couple of Riviera events in 1923. I am trying to get ahold of a copy of a book that details letters between her and Winston in the hope it will add to our name list. She was a good friend of Victor Cazelet.
I don't recognize the name Marriott from any men's singles draws, but that's not to say that he didn't play tournament tennis.
--

Do you mean Clementine Ogilvy Hozier, who married Winston Churchill in 1908? She was born in 1885, so would have turned 35 in 1920. Their youngest child, Mary (still living and now Baroness Soames), was born in September 1922.

Mark

Last edited by newmark401 : Nov 3rd, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #844
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you mean Clementine Ogilvy Hozier, who married Winston Churchill in 1908? She was born in 1885, so would have turned 35 in 1920. Their youngest child, Mary (still living and now Baroness Soames), was born in September 1922.
Yes, one and the same. Needless to say I was quite excited at the discovery. I have access to a few letters between her and Winston touching on tennis in early 1923. In one he references a picture of her hitting a backhand that appeared in the newspapers in Britain. She lost early in both events I found.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #845
country flag newmark401

Quote:
Yes, one and the same. Needless to say I was quite excited at the discovery. I have access to a few letters between her and Winston touching on tennis in early 1923. In one he references a picture of her hitting a backhand that appeared in the newspapers in Britain. She lost early in both events I found.
Interesting. What events were they? And what/were the tournament/s?
-----
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #846
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Interesting. What events were they? And what/were the tournament/s?
Singles in 2 events of 1923

February 12-18, Carlton Club Second Meeting, Cannes, France (Clay)
Venue: Carlton Club

1R: Vera Howett (GB) d Clementine Churchill (GB) 6-0 6-2

March 19-25, Cote d'Azur Championships, Cannes, France (Clay)
Venue: Cannes Club

1R: Mrs Harrison d Clementine Churchill (GB) 6-3 6-4

She may have also played mixed with Victor Cazelet, a friend of both Churchills. She mentions Victor in one of her letters to Winston in January of 1923.

A cursury internet search also revels she competed at Surbiton in 1920. No indication if it was main draw or handicap.

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/pol...0-a00b0003496c

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 5th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #847
country flag Vinkje83

Vinkje83 is just really nice Vinkje83 is just really nice Vinkje83 is just really nice Vinkje83 is just really nice Vinkje83 is just really nice Vinkje83 is just really nice Vinkje83 is just really nice Vinkje83 is just really nice Vinkje83 is just really nice Vinkje83 is just really nice Vinkje83 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
v-v-v-v-v

[..]

ADRIANA THEODORA "ANTHONIE" VAN AKEN
Netherlands
Born 19 October 1881
Died 14 November 1978
Married Frederik Beukema, 1908

[..]
Are you sure that Adriana Theodora is the one designated with the nickname "Anthonie"? A wikipedia colleague of mine reports that a Dutch birth register also mentions an older sister Van Aken named Anthonia Maria (born 1876) which is more likely to be called "Anthonie". The younger Adriana Theodora might be the same as "Z. van Aken" where Z. stands for the nickname "Zus". In Dutch "Zus" is short for zuster, just the same as in English "Sis" is short for sister. In the old days "Zus" was more often used for a younger sister than for an elder one.

Is your source for the nickname "Anthonie" belonging to Adriana Theodora still traceable? Please let me know if you can find this in historic papers.

Thanks many times for taking that trouble (might be a big effort, though - I apologize for that). Kind regards, Vinkje83

Last edited by Vinkje83 : Nov 5th, 2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: delimiting line unnecessary now endquote is inserted
Vinkje83 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #848
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Are you sure that Adriana Theodora is the one designated with the nickname "Anthonie"? A wikipedia colleague of mine reports that a Dutch birth register also mentions an older sister Van Aken named Anthonia Maria (born 1876) which is more likely to be called "Anthonie". The younger Adriana Theodora might be the same as "Z. van Aken" where Z. stands for the nickname "Zus". In Dutch "Zus" is short for zuster, just the same as in English "Sis" is short for sister. In the old days "Zus" was more often used for a younger sister than for an elder one.

Is your source for the nickname "Anthonie" belonging to Adriana Theodora still traceable? Please let me know if you can find this in historic papers.

Thanks many times for taking that trouble (might be a big effort, though - I apologize for that). Kind regards, Vinkje83
It's always good to redig if questions occur Vinkje. Mark will have access to better sources than I do on this one I think. My memory tells me that there were Van Aken sisters who played tennis-if my recollection is correct Giani Clerici has a picture of them in his "Ultimate Tennis Book".

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 13th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #849
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

Quote:
It's always good to redig if questions occur Vinkje. Mark will have access to better soruces than I do on this one I think. My memory tells me that there were Van Aken sisters who played tennis-if my recollection is correct Giani Clerici has a picture of them in his "Ultimate Tennis Book".
You well remember, Rollo!
In Clerici's book there is a picture of them while they play in Doubles.
Jimbo109 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #850
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

ANNE-MARIE LARUE
France
Born 26 January 1938 (according to another source 27 January 1942)
Married Rouchon, circa 1965

she is a pianist too.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #851
country flag Jimbo109

Quote:
JANE T. ALBERT
United States
Born circa 1946
Married Bradford Freedman, 16 September 1967; divorced June 1969
Born 1946
Married (1) Bradford M. Freeman, 16 September 1967, divorced June 1969
Married (2) Willens, before 1971 (their daughter Heather, a tennis player, was born 11 October 1971)
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #852
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
You well remember, Rollo!
In Clerici's book there is a picture of them while they play in Doubles.
Thanks Jimbo. A good memory maybe,or maybe I've just seen it a 100 times-LOL.

If someone told me I could keep only one book Clerici's would be it. It deserves the name of Ultimate Tennis book!

I can help out with the name and date for Albert's second marriage.

Md (2) Ronald J Willens, 20 June 1970 in Los Angeles, CA.

As a tennis player she was usually known by her nickname of "Janie".

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 12th, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #853
country flag Jimbo109

Quote:
ROBERTA ALISON
United States
Born 13 December 1943
Died 20 March 2009
Married Baumgardner
Married Earl Baumgardner (a tennis player, born 1937), 14 August 1965
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #854
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Elliott, Pauline
New Zealand
Born 15 October 1955
Married Jack Hanson circa 2008 in California, US
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #855
country flag Jimbo109

Quote:
EVA DULDIG
Australia
Born circa 1937
Died
Married De Jong
Born 1938
Married Henri De Jong (1934-), (their daughter Tania was born 1964)
Closed Thread