Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 92 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #1366
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
It was posted in GM, she will be caddy today in USA, but on her Twitter she said she will not be caddy tonight, so ithink now she stays in Europe... as it was reported she was in Poland yesterday...
Yesterday morning she tweeted about busy days in Poland so It's safe to assume that she was there until today at least. Let's just hope that she's not going back to the US, it would be absolutely crazy.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #1367
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

Why be in Poland now and so fly back to USA? when that mucic video can be made at anytimes eg. in the Fed Cup week where she don't plays...

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #1368
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

This is 10 days before an Int'l, so I'm fine with her at The Masters.
I wasnt so happy with how she prepared for the premier 5 in Doha.
What she has to try to do is peak for Madrid-FO. Thats the next real challenges. Premier 5, mandatories & majors.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #1369
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
This is 10 days before an Int'l, so I'm fine with her at The Masters.
10 days? She's playing on Monday, that's five days from now

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #1370
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

i needed to chech if i were wrong about the date event starts on monday

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #1371
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Then she cant be at the Masters. I was thinking there's still an off week.
This was THE off week, and she used it for her video.

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #1372
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Caroline won more matches than anyone all year and as many titles.
Calling her the biggest disappointment is an absolute insult.
The reason she was #1 is that she played 19 tournaments with 9 titles, 12 finals and 15 semis.
That is tremendously consistent at a very high level.
The other part is that the 4 slam winners either were injured or played awful for several months of the year.
Is Caroline supposed to lose on purpose so a player who won a slam and then played awful for months can take #1?
Its crazy and insulting.
Caroline isnt playing like that for months, which is why she's #6.

I think she's more disappointing this year than last year.
But there's still time left if she can play better and more consistent tennis
Well, look at the expectations. Going into 2011 she was newly the number one ranked player so people were expecting a lot from her. Initially it looked like she was going to be live up to expectations making the semi-final in Australia and winning Dubai and Indian Wells. Her clay season was more good than bad but then she had bad losses in the third round of Roland Garros and the fourth round of Wimbledon. After that her results became very patchy. Somehow she did make the semi-final of the U.S. Open but the second half of her year was very poor compared to the first half. She finished the year as she started it, with the number one ranking, but over the second half of the year she clearly was nowhere near to being the best player on the tour, probably not even one of the five best players on the tour. If you have a situation where the number one ranked player is clearly not the best player then I think it is reasonable to expect that player to be criticised. Looking at her results, particularly at the slams where she was unable to even make a final, I think it is reasonable to say that she was a disappointment, especially as the number one ranked player. Now, the four slam winners could also be called disappointing as none of them were able to play well immediately after their slam wins. It's tough to make a case that any of them, with the possible exception of Petra, deserved the number one ranking either. With Petra there were a lot of people screaming that she was the "real" number one. Well, she got very close but she was unable to accumulate the necessary points needed and her results have been disappointing in recent months, she had her chance to grab the top ranking but she could not do it. 2011 was a very strange year and I don't think we will see anything like it again any time soon. I just hope that we can have most of the top players playing well at the same time for long stretches of the year. Right now Viktoria, Maria and Agnieszka are clearly the three best players on the tour but the rest of the top ten are too inconsistent.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1373
country flag goldenlox

She could have caddied Wednesday,Thursday & Friday, if she really wanted to make this a full week on nontennis

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1374
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=goldenlox;21216887]Caroline won more matches than anyone all year and as many titles.
The reason she was #1 is that she played 19 tournaments with 9 titles, 12 finals and 15 semis.
The other part is that the 4 slam winners either were injured or played awful for several months of the year.
Is Caroline supposed to lose on purpose so a player who won a slam and then played awful for months can take #1?
Its crazy and insulting.

I agree. It's a ridiculous statement. Her results for those two years were a dream for any player. People who put her down just try to ignore the way the system works and come up with all sorts of nonsense when the no.1 = best player status is given to someone who won no slams. I mean, the ranking reflects the whole year so there's nothing disappointing about about those results. In fact, some players who won a slam achieved less then her last season and were in slump for weeks. But according to the 'experts' there's not a thing wrong with their game and their season has been a success
I remember that last season everyone was comparing her and Kvitova and said that based on their results Kvitova was a no.1 in the making. Some even claimed she was 'the real no.1'. Look where's she now...she missed all the chances she had to make it and now she'd have to win big and on frequent basis to get there. Based on her comments I don't think that she even has the drive to get there. So, there you go 'real no.1'...
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1375
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Well, look at the expectations....
Stop it!
Biggest disappointment is a huge insult. The one slam winners played months of mediocre tennis. Every one else won no majors and fewer titles than Caroline.
If he wants to say a long term #1 should have already won a major, say it.
It means nothing. No one keeps reminding people that Kim was #1 when slamless.
If Caroline wins majors, it doesnt take away from her already having 18 titles and being #1. It doesnt mean she climbed some mountain.
It adds to what she has already accomplished, which is a lot.

The disappointment is that she hasnt made a final in 10 tournament, only 1 in 15 events.
2011 she had a great year. I'd like to see 6 titles & 2 slam semis in 2012

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1376
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Stop it!
Biggest disappointment is a huge insult. The one slam winners played months of mediocre tennis. Every one else won no majors and fewer titles than Caroline.
If Caroline wins majors, it doesnt take away from her already having 18 titles and being #1. It doesnt mean she climbed some mountain.

The disappointment is that she hasnt made a final in 10 tournament, only 1 in 15 events.
Exactly. The only thing disappointing about 2011 was that the 2nd half was worse than the 1st half. And I guess it always feels better if the 2nd half is better than the 1st half and you are on a climb as opposed to slipping. But over the whole year - a fantastic record and players would kill to have that.

And as you say - the disappointment is she hasn't made a final in 10 tournaments. I never do predictions for Caro in here or GM, now or when she was doing well. But no-one should take away what she did achieve.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1377
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stop it!
If Caroline wins majors, it doesnt take away from her already having 18 titles and being #1. It doesnt mean she mean she climbed some mountain.

OK, I'll stop. But before I do let me just underscore what I said earlier about expectations. Sure, most people probably expected Kim to win a slam in 2011 but few people thought Na Li would win Roland Garros or that Sam Stosur would win the U.S. Open. They had relatively low expectations heading into 2011 (Na was ranked eleventh, Sam was ranked sixth). Petra was probably expected to go deep at Wimbledon but in January was she the favourite? Probably not. If she broke into the top ten the year probably would have been considered a success for her. For nearly the entire year Caroline had a number one next to her name. The greater the expectations the greater the disappointment.

She had a great first half of 2011, I do not believe that the same can be said for the second half of the year. Roland Garros (lost in the third round), Copenhagen (win), Wimbledon (lost in the fourth round), Bastad (retired in the second round), Toronto (lost in the second round [first match]), Cincinnati (lost in the second round [first match]), New Haven (win), U.S. Open (lost in the semi-finals), Tokyo (lost in the round of sixteen), Beijing (lost in the quarter-final), WTA Championships (one win, two losses). From Roland Garros till the YEC her record was 25-10. Are those great results?

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #1378
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
OK, I'll stop. But before I do let me just underscore what I said earlier about expectations...?
The 4 players who won slams played a lot of mediocre tennis for months and months in 2011. So did Vika, Maria, Aga and everyone else you can think of. Kim was injured, and didnt do much after Paris indoors
Caroline went 24-2 in 26 matches from the start of AO until she lost in Miami. Not quite what Vika did this year, but still pretty good, then she won Charleston, final Stuttgart, semi Rome, won Brussels.

She played a ton of good tennis and thats why she was #1 for 51 weeks.Thats much harder to do than winning a major. No one else did it since Graf.

Of course I want Caroline to win majors also. She will have years to do it

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1379
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=marineblue;21217431]
Quote:
Caroline won more matches than anyone all year and as many titles.
Its crazy and insulting.
Quote:

I agree. It's a ridiculous statement. Her results for those two years were a dream for any player. People who put her down just try to ignore the way the system works and come up with all sorts of nonsense when the no.1 = best player status is given to someone who won no slams. I mean, the ranking reflects the whole year so there's nothing disappointing about about those results. In fact, some players who won a slam achieved less then her last season and were in slump for weeks. But according to the 'experts' there's not a thing wrong with their game and their season has been a success
I remember that last season everyone was comparing her and Kvitova and said that based on their results Kvitova was a no.1 in the making. Some even claimed she was 'the real no.1'. Look where's she now...she missed all the chances she had to make it and now she'd have to win big and on frequent basis to get there. Based on her comments I don't think that she even has the drive to get there. So, there you go 'real no.1'...
Well, a case CAN be made that Kvitova was the best player of 2011. But the debate about who was "the real number one" is entirely bogus. There's no such thing as an "unreal number one" since it's a points system and thus whoever has the most points IS the real number one. It's not as though the rankings are decided by voting in which case there would be room for debate and disagreements. If some argue that Caroline wasn't the real number one it can also be argued that Stosur isn't the real USO champion since there are several players (including the one she beat in the final) who in principle are better hardcourt players. But such an argument is of course absurd since the USO title wasn't given to Stosur - she earned it by winning the tournament, just like Caroline earned her number one ranking by compiling more points than anyone else.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #1380
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
The 4 players who won slams played a lot of mediocre tennis for months and months in 2011. So did Vika, Maria, Aga and everyone else you can think of. Kim was injured, and didnt do much after Paris indoors
Caroline went 24-2 in 26 matches from the start of AO until she lost in Miami. Not quite what Vika did this year, but still pretty good, then she won Charleston, final Stuttgart, semi Rome, won Brussels.

She played a ton of good tennis and thats why she was #1 for 51 weeks.Thats much harder to do than winning a major. No one else did it since Graf.

Of course I want Caroline to win majors also. She will have years to do it
Oh, I completely agree. There was no alternative to Caroline, no one else could fairly be described as being the "real" number one. Some people tried to claim that Petra deserved it but if that was true she would have been number one. She had very mixed results after Wimbledon and had several chances (Toronto, Cincinnati, U.S. Open, Beijing) to have deep runs and grab the top spot but she was unable to do it. This year she did have a deep run at the Australian Open but other than that she has been disappointing and may have missed her chance. Surely if she was the "real" number one her ranking would reflect that. That's why I said that 2011 was a very strange year. You had a number one that could not make a slam final and slam winners that wilted after they won their slams, a trend that continued into 2012 with Sam's early exit at the Australian Open. Fortunately it appears that Viktoria has reversed that unfortunate trend.

I'm not necessarily saying that I agree but I can certainly understand why some people found Caroline to be the biggest disappointment of 2011. She was number one for the entire year (well, fifty-one weeks) yet she failed to win a slam, failed to even make a slam final, only won a single really big title (Indian Wells) and had a very poor second half of the year. For a player that was number one for virtually the entire year she did not win many big titles and had few wins over the top players. Sure, she had the most wins but look at the players she was defeating. Is it really impressive for her to defeat Elena Vesnina, Shuai Peng, Lucie Safarova and Petra Cetkovska to win four of her six titles?

Think of it this way, imagine a player with similar titles as Caroline had in 2011 gaining the top ranking in the ATP. Would that player be heavily criticised for not being deserving of the top spot? Of course he would be! Why should the women be held to a different standard?

I'm a fan, I like Caroline and I am definitely pulling for her to get back to the top but I want to see her start winning big titles and beating the best players, something she has not done for over a year now. She hasn't been playing like one of the best players on the tour for quite a while now and I think it is fair that she faces some criticism for that.

Closed Thread