Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 57 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #841
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Sorry for sharing random thoughts but what really worries me is how accustomed I have become to her losses. I remember her RG loss against Hantuchova left me really upset for the next few days, I couldn't even watch any of the other matches anymore.

Yesterday's loss was so much worse but it doesn't have the same effect anymore, these days you almost expect her to screw up sooner or later. Stunning how things have changed in just 10 months, a year ago her biggest problem was that she hadn't won a slam yet....pure luxury compared to what we`re dealing with now.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 14th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #842
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

A think a more worrying state is when anyone takes wins for granted... Tittles what ever the Pro level, are the preserve of the few.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #843
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
@goldenlox

Regarding her serve, I haven't really been studying it recently because I was more focused on her movement and shot selection, but have you noticed if she is still tossing the ball in a more forward position like she started to do at the AO?
I dont know if she's made some slight technique change to her serve or forehand.
My impression is that she didnt want to hit 2nd serves, and her 1st serves were too safe and Ana often won points with her return of serve.
When Ana was in trouble she won a lot of points on her serve.

To me, and I've said this a lot, the sport is mental. You have to get good 1st serves in if you want to hold. When you're returning at 0-40, you have to play a good point out of those break points and win the game.

Where she failed this match was weak serving, unforced groundstroke errors on key points. You can make an error once in awhile, but at *2-4 duece, you cant hit a serve that Ana hits a winner off the return. That doesnt work at the late stages of majors
And certainly cant start the match by being broken 3 times. Thats primary: to hold serve. You cant win when your serve is killing you.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #844
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A think a more worrying state is when anyone takes wins for granted... Tittles what ever the Pro level, are the preserve of the few.
It has nothing to do with taking stuff for granted, you can't deny that at the end of 2010 everybody was thinking it would only be a matter of time until she wins a slam though.

A year ago she was a player likely to succeed at a tournament (same as Vika is now), that's a status she has long lost.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #845
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
The key phrase was "by your standards." Also "almost" was a key word.

That was about as negative/frustrated as I've ever seen you be. Well, other than the time when you referred to Caroline as a "muppet."

I can only speak for myself but I don't want her to be a ball basher. I want her to win matches by using her brain.
'Muppet' is meant as an endearing term along the lines of your obviously much better than that, take the rest of the day off to get over your brain fart. I will openly admit to having days when the best place to be is on the sofa watching a B grade soap opera.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #846
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Sorry for sharing random thoughts but what really worries me is how accustomed I have become to her losses. I remember her RG loss against Hantuchova left me really upset for the next few days, I couldn't even watch any of the other matches anymore.

Yesterday's loss was so much worse but it doesn't have the same effect anymore, these days you almost expect her to screw up sooner or later. Stunning how things have changed in just 10 months, a year ago her biggest problem was that she hadn't won a slam yet....pure luxury compared to what we`re dealing with now.
There was a time when she rarely lost to players outside of the top twenty, even before her big run in the summer of 2010. You could be fairly certain that she was going to at least make the quarters of an event more often than not. Over the last eight months that consistency has completely disappeared and now she is vulnerable just about every time that she steps on the court.

Her problem used to be that she couldn't beat the best players or players that were playing at a very high level. The problem now is that she is not good enough to even get a chance to play those top/hot players.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #847
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
'Muppet' is meant as an endearing term along the lines of your obviously much better than that, take the rest of the day off to get over your brain fart. I will openly admit to having days when the best place to be is on the sofa watching a B grade soap opera.
Try a dvd of a Mozart opera instead.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #848
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think they figured anything out (with the exception of the JG Junk ball technique). Quite simply she isn't playing the same game. What used to work in the past is perfectly valid and works now, but she doesn't apply her own game. She makes sloppy shot choices, doesn't see openings, sees openings that have passed by the time she gets to hitting the ball, and lacks the BH penetration to finish points. She looks confused and unsure of what shot to make at times. When she is making the right choices, her stokes lack penetration to pressure the harder hitting players back to the baseline.

This isn't a phenomena that started at wimbledon, she has shown elements of lapses plenty of times in the past, including her long winning streak, often requiring on court help to make the right tactical choices. If anything has changed since wimbledon it's more as if she lost faith in her own game and started to listen to the idiots instead.

A few positives from the last match were the BH looking slightly stronger when she woke up briefly, however, it still had no penetration with the effort used compared to 2010, and the biggest change since then is the new stick.

Caro's game worked in the past because she was able to consistently soak up power, retrieve balls, and feed opponents cleverly placed, and well disguised balls of varying weight, spin, and depth. That keeps player guessing and having to read balls before lashing out or risk errors. Subtle, but relentless pressure on your opponents game. Sofia didn't play worse in set 3, Caro forced the issue and made Sofia's game plan unplayable.

Personally i don't care if she looses every match from now till september as long as I sense effort and direction.

I think they figured out that they need to attact the FH side. I agree that she is simply not applying the old game plan which was the result of buying into the myth about how she just must play aggressively.

Judging by what she recently said about everyone having their style they probably realised that fiddling with the gameplan was a huge mistake. However, now it will take a while to fix what's broken in her original game. She might have changed one thing too many and now it's probably not that easy to return back to basics.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #849
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It has nothing to do with taking stuff for granted, you can't deny that at the end of 2010 everybody was thinking it would only be a matter of time until she wins a slam though.

A year ago she was a player likely to succeed at a tournament (same as Vika is now), that's a status she has long lost.
Even one year ago when she was winning IW, it looked inevitable that she would win majors. Thats why the Hantuchova match was so tough to take. That was a great draw, with players Caroline does well against. She beat Sveta & Marion in finals a few months earlier, and had never lost to Dani.

If they made changes in her game because of that 1 match, or that match plus Domi, then I think they made a mistake.

I think she should play like she did one year ago at IW, and try to improve a little at each aspect of her game, while maintaining that style.

But since Wimbledon she's not steady enough to play defensive tennis at a super high level. Either get steadier or get weapons. Or keep losing early
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #850
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's the Ivanovic syndrom I knew it's contageous.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #851
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Personally I find her losses now more upseting. A year ago when she lost a match my reaction usually was one of, "damn, what a pity, but she'll win the next tournament (and she usually did), so no major problem in the big scheme of things." Now that "you win some, you lose some" has become "you lose some, you lose some more" I admit to being worried about it. It's time that she does something significant real soon: win a tournament, beat one of the top five players, or (preferably) both." Problem is that on her current form anythng like that happening is extremely unlikely.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #852
country flag Burisleif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Try a dvd of a Mozart opera instead.
On a "Muppet Day" anything more complex than Frère Jacques would just be too confusing...
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #853
country flag Burisleif

Quote:

I still think its a matter of time for Slams...

The key word you used was Accustomed.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #854
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I dont know if she's made some slight technique change to her serve or forehand.
My impression is that she didnt want to hit 2nd serves, and her 1st serves were too safe
While I cannot judge if there has been small tweeks in the ball toss, swing, knee bend etc, I would suggest she has indeed taken speed off the 1st serve and added spin.

Now I am drifting back, but when thinking about how well she served at Montreal '10 and really throughout her strong run, compared to now *sighs*.

She did try earlier in the year to hit the serve flatter and harder, but it came with more DF (obviously) and apparently that strategy has been rejected.

I remember seeing a stat from 2011. Despite she wasn't exactly stunning in 2nd half, Caroline's ratio for 'service holds' were 2nd highest on the tour! *sighs again*

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1

Last edited by TennisFan66 : Mar 14th, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #855
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

I really have nothing productive to add to this conversation. So I'm just going to give everyone a Pooh Hug!

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread