Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 51 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #751
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
But not Brussels and New Haven.

I'm still confused. It seems strange that (presumably) the WTA would want to limit how many top players can play premier tournaments. I'm sure that the organisers of those tournaments would want as strong of a field as possible. Was this change a part of the roadmap and an effort to give the top players a break as far as the number of tournaments that they need to play?
Apparently the reason is so that all the top players don't go to one premier and leave another Premier with no top players. Of course there's also the rule that a premier can have another player if they cough up more money so I think it's a way of blackmailing the tournaments. Of course all these rules don't work and players withdraw at the last minute leaving a tournament without top players because the WTA limitted the number who could play. So what does the WTA usually do about rules that don't work? Make up a few more rules and restrictions for the following year to "correct" the perceived problem. There's nearly 500 pages in their rule book!

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #752
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novichok View Post
The posters in GM are delusional haters. They proclaim that Caro is "irrelevant" but then still devote so much time writing negative posts about her. So I'm not surprised.
I've notced this on message boards, blogs, twitter. And not just for tennis. People seem very bitter and angry. They insult very successful people as if they're above them. Or as if their hateful comments are somehow meaningful.
So I never take that stuff seriously, except knowing the haters are losers and fools.

But its not just tennis, or just this board. Caro should ignore it all, its nonsense. She's having a great career, #1 player for 2010 and 2011. Just get her good form back and always enjoy life.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #753
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Apparently the reason is so that all the top players don't go to one premier and leave another Premier with no top players. Of course there's also the rule that a premier can have another player if they cough up more money so I think it's a way of blackmailing the tournaments. Of course all these rules don't work and players withdraw at the last minute leaving a tournament without top players because the WTA limitted the number who could play. So what does the WTA usually do about rules that don't work? Make up a few more rules and restrictions for the following year to "correct" the perceived problem. There's nearly 500 pages in their rule book!
It's usually the tournament waiting til the last moment to announce the withdrawl and not the player making a late withdrawl though. Of course the players then get the blame not the tournament.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #754
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
It's usually the tournament waiting til the last moment to announce the withdrawl and not the player making a late withdrawl though. Of course the players then get the blame not the tournament.
And quite right to that a player making a very late withdrawal should get the blame if they knew well before. If they knew earlier but kept quiet - they are just as in on a deceit as the tournament if it is the case that the tournment knew well before they announced it.

Players are contractully required by the rules to inform the WTA and the tournament of their withdrawal before announcing it to the world. But having done so - there is no excuse to keep quiet about it.

As far as tournaments go - it is surely in their interest if a top player cannot play to announce it straightaway so that they can get another top player they would be allowed to have to fill that top player spot they are allowed.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #755
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
And quite right to that a player making a very late withdrawal should get the blame if they knew well before. If they knew earlier but kept quiet - they are just as in on a deceit as the tournament if it is the case that the tournment knew well before they announced it.

Players are contractully required by the rules to inform the WTA and the tournament of their withdrawal before announcing it to the world. But having done so - there is no excuse to keep quiet about it.

As far as tournaments go - it is surely in their interest if a top player cannot play to announce it straightaway so that they can get another top player they would be allowed to have to fill that top player spot they are allowed.
I think the tournaments deserve more blame than the players when they keep quiet withdrawls until
as late as possible.

My guess is that the players are compensated by the tournament and or Wta for keeping their withdrawl a secret.

I think the tournaments keep withdrawls quiet for the sake of ticket sales.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #756
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I did not have the "pleasure" of watching the Arvidsson match but based on the comments in the live scoring thread it was a real stinker. Forty-eight unforced errors! Ho-lee cow! That gives me a horrible flashback to the Petkovic match last year in Miami. On the positive side it is great for her to win a match while playing poorly. Obviously she needs to play much better in the net round. Ana has her issues but if Caroline has a similar winners/unforced errors ratio I can't see her winning. Very important for her to hold her serve and limit the break points that she gives Ana.

I'm a bit split, on the one hand it can often be good for a player to have a match like this where they really struggle but if that poor form continues she doesn't have much chance against Ana. If she can win her next match I like her chances in the quarters and hopefully beyond.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #757
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I did not have the "pleasure" of watching the Arvidsson match but based on the comments in the live scoring thread it was a real stinker.
yeah you can consider yourself lucky that you didn't see this shitfest from Caro! Less grey hair for you!

Sofia_Arvidsson
Now that was a workout.Good tennis,but lets keep the rallys shorter next time @CaroWozniacki

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #758
country flag Protoss

"I've known Sofia since I was 12 and I knew it was gonna be a tough match,"

I don't think so Caro. In the last 5 full matches against Arvidsson, Arvidsson won no more than 3 games in a set and 5 in a match (in Caro's retirement at Bastad, Arvidsson won only 2 games in the 1st set).
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #759
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt see it, but this scoreline makes it look like Caro's getting worse. At a mandatory this would have been a bad loss.
I'll get to see her matches here from now on, but being down 36 55 to Sofia will have her losing to most of the top 40
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #760
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Caro's Left Wrist@CarosWrist
That is 8 straight wins now for Caro in Indian Wells without hitting a single ace, iirc. #oddfact

Is this true?
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #761
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsmash View Post
Caro's Left Wrist@CarosWrist
That is 8 straight wins now for Caro in Indian Wells without hitting a single ace, iirc. #oddfact

Is this true?
Yes it is. I remember asking last year after IW if anyone ever had won a PM/Tier 1 before without hitting a single ace? I don't think I got an answer.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #762
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Yes it is. I remember asking last year after IW if anyone ever had won a PM/Tier 1 before without hitting a single ace? I don't think I got an answer.
Thanks. It just seemed too incredible to be true.
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #763
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I've notced this on message boards, blogs, twitter. And not just for tennis. People seem very bitter and angry. They insult very successful people as if they're above them. Or as if their hateful comments are somehow meaningful.
So I never take that stuff seriously, except knowing the haters are losers and fools.

But its not just tennis, or just this board. Caro should ignore it all, its nonsense. She's having a great career, #1 player for 2010 and 2011. Just get her good form back and always enjoy life.
Yes, it's ridiculous how angry are people over Caroline's success. Including some tennis 'experts'. I think a lot of this silly some people are under the impression that player has to act based on what they think is 'right'. If not they start to repeat the same nonsensical arguments no end.
I think that if actual tennis players read it they must laugh their heads off.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #764
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Eurosport Danmark say on Facebook they'll re-transmit Wozniacki - Arvidsson at ES1 in 40 minutes (12.50 CET).
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #765
country flag CloudAtlas
Lamenting the days of peak SEWTA

CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute

It's sad seeing such huge UE stats from Caroline, but I guess ultimately for the greater good. She's not going to have immediate success with a more proactive approach but as long as she moving towards it then we can ignore these dips as long as she's getting the wins. I didn't stay awake for this as I had to be up 5 hours after the match started , but from the clips I've seen Woz's backhand is slightly better , but that forehand is just getting worse. Not only is it ineffective but it is also leaking errors which is a horrendous combination.

I'd like to think she can repeat her Dubai win tonight but it's definitely going to be tougher than the last time round , especially if Caro gets down in the match from the first set. Plus Arvidsson is a tricky player, especially for defenders and she's very much in form so I didn't expect a rout like many on here. Have we forgotten her epic matches against peak Jankovic at Slams?