Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 333 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #4981
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Probably good to go early, get any jet lag out of the way before you play. When is the qualie draw?

Caroline Wozniacki@CaroWozniacki
Australia bound! Long trip ahead, but excited for the new season to start!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 27th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #4982
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezone View Post
If you study the great forehands today they all keep their racket away from the body. You can check out an old forehand by Wozniacki slow motion using Babolat racket and one from late this year and see the difference. Murray, Roddick, Federer and Novak all keep racket to the right side of body.

It's a good thing, but remember it takes a while before we will see her really comfortable with her forehand. We are expected to train all juniors in America this way. This was determoined by studying the great players. What they did was use something like an MRI machine to study the bio mechanics.

If you want to study two of the better backhands look at NOvak and Nadal. Novak keeps his right arm straight and left arm bent with elbow bent before hitting the stroke. Great technique or bad technique doesn't necessarily mean the player will win or lose. But it would have been hard for Woz to beat the great offensive players with her old forehand.

Agree but you think the yonex has the potential to sort this?
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #4983
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Caroline was #1 for 2010, and 2011 with her old forehand. A change had better be an improvement, because it takes her mental focus off what she used to do, and that hasnt helped results
Her old forehand was a wicked mix up. Her speed, BH, and wits used to make it work though. Post switch there was a lot less mix, depth, and surprise on the FH.

Gm used to joke about Caro's old forehand but is was a very hard shot to play.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #4984
country flag Vaidisova

Vaidisova has disabled reputation

Quote:
Probably good to go early, get any jet lag out of the way before you play. When is the qualie draw?

Williams, looking for her 16th grand-slam title at the Australian Open next month, arrives in Brisbane on Friday morning just after former world No.1 Wozniacki flies in with golfer boyfriend Rory McIlroy.

http://www.brisbaneinternational.com...ly-in-brisbane
Vaidisova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #4985
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Caroline was #1 for 2010, and 2011 with her old forehand. A change had better be an improvement, because it takes her mental focus off what she used to do, and that hasnt helped results
Yeah, it seems that the old forehand was so bad that there was something good about it after all. Maybe the fact that it was not by the book added to a moment of surprise. The problem might be that the new shot is simply not suiting her way of hitting the ball and she cannot use it effectively. Maybe she decided to change a bit too late in her career and it is now hard to adapt to a new movement.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #4986
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Yeah, it seems that the old forehand was so bad that there was something good about it after all. Maybe the fact that it was not by the book added to a moment of surprise. The problem might be that the new shot is simply not suiting her way of hitting the ball and she cannot use it effectively. Maybe she decided to change a bit too late in her career and it is now hard to adapt to a new movement.
Well, if it's a matter of taking a small step backwards for awhile to end up taking a big step forwards in the long run it's worth it I think. Towards the end of 2012 I noticed some improvements in some of her matches when she tried to be more aggressive with her forehand, especially on her down the line shots. But unfortunately, despite the fact that her down the line shots looked just fine, when she did go crosscourt her forehand shots often continued to end up much too short. But Rome wasn't build in a day, so we'll see what the future brings.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #4987
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know about a small step backwards. If this is what's been happening, it explains the loss of focus.
Whatever the exact change Caroline made, it took her focus off winning, away from using her strengths and hiding her weaknesses.
I've looked at the last 18 months like Caroline was a boxer leading with her chin. She gives her opponents plenty of opportunities to beat her now. A lot more than she used to when she was steady with her forehand.

That kind of change would explain her dropoff in results, but it doesnt mean she will be better than ever with a different technique

Old Dec 27th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #4988
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I dont know about a small step backwards. If this is what's been happening, it explains the loss of focus.
Whatever the exact change Caroline made, it took her focus off winning, away from using her strengths and hiding her weaknesses.
I've looked at the last 18 months like Caroline was a boxer leading with her chin. She gives her opponents plenty of opportunities to beat her now. A lot more than she used to when she was steady with her forehand.

That kind of change would explain her dropoff in results, but it doesnt mean she will be better than ever with a different technique

True. She really needs a wake up call. #10 and a lot of money off court is not dramatic enough to wake her up.
Saraya! is online now View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #4989
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, if it's a matter of taking a small step backwards for awhile to end up taking a big step forwards in the long run it's worth it I think. Towards the end of 2012 I noticed some improvements in some of her matches when she tried to be more aggressive with her forehand, especially on her down the line shots. But unfortunately, despite the fact that her down the line shots looked just fine, when she did go crosscourt her forehand shots often continued to end up much too short. But Rome wasn't build in a day, so we'll see what the future brings.
The down line forehand being a better shot than her crosscourt forehand seems a bit odd.

Given that in a match she'll almost certainly hit a lot more crosscourt forehands than down the lines, she should be putting more emphasis on the crosscourt forehands.

I think the key aspects for a solid to good forehand for Caro are limited number of errors and depth of shot. Hitting winners or otherwise being aggressive off that wing isn't as important.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Dec 27th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #4990
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yah, Caro getting to tournaments early to get adjusted to the conditions is a good thing.

The qualifying draw for Brisbane came out earlier today:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=472459
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Dec 27th, 2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: qualifying update
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #4991
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya00000 View Post
True. She really needs a wake up call. #10 and a lot of money off court is not dramatic enough to wake her up.
I think she's woken up with two first round losses at the grand slams in one year and falling out the top 10 for awhile.

That doesn't mean that things are necessarily going to get way better quickly though.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #4992
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I think she's woken up with two first round losses at the grand slams in one year and falling out the top 10 for awhile.

That doesn't mean that things are necessarily going to get way better quickly though.
Yeah, I also wonder if she can rebuild her confidence, and understanding of how to win with her skillset.
That's the part that went away. She used to win half the tournaments she played.
Its crazy to me that they would make changes that attack the foundation of her game (mental toughness).
So lets see what happens in Brisbane

Old Dec 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #4993
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
The down line forehand being a better shot than her crosscourt forehand seems a bit odd.

Given that in a match she'll almost certainly hit a lot more crosscourt forehands than down the lines, she should be putting more emphasis on the crosscourt forehands.

I think the key aspects for a solid to good forehand for Caro are limited number of errors and depth of shot. Hitting winners or otherwise being aggressive off that wing isn't as important.
It is a bit odd, but it's nevertheless something I've noticed in her last few tournaments. It's odd because for a down the line forehand you usually have to change the direction of the ball and you have less space to aim at, so it's the more difficult shot by far... Strange.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #4994
country flag manixdk

manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but I've been translating parts of Anders Haahr Rasmussen's book Én bold ad gangen on my blog http://manixdk.blogspot.dk/ My last two posts are about tennis fathers, Piotr and Caro.
manixdk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #4995
country flag Sinead94

Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
It is a bit odd, but it's nevertheless something I've noticed in her last few tournaments. It's odd because for a down the line forehand you usually have to change the direction of the ball and you have less space to aim at, so it's the more difficult shot by far... Strange.

It doesn't sound odd to me. When I play tennis and I'm far from Caro's level, down the line forehand is easier and require less strenght and focus then crosscourt forehand. Another thing is that even if you're late in your forehand preparation, you can still manage an efficient down the line forehand whereas it will be more difficult with a crosscourt one. About the space, I agree that you have less, though. But it just how I feel when I play, someone else might have different sensation.
Sinead94 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread