Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 331 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2012, 11:55 PM   #4951
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Caro has done wonders for Rory. In particular she showed him what fitness really meant. And Rory has really benefitted. I just wish Rory was able to find something in return that would really help Caro in her tennis career. I'm sure he'd love to - but it's only been Caro able to help Rory so far.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 12:05 AM   #4952
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
I've read the argument that Rory should have broken off the relationship when he saw that Caro's results had worsened,but that's pretty childish and naive,IMO.
It would have a devastating effect on her because she loves him. I fail to see how breaking her heart could have a good effect on her tennis. If anything she would play much, much worse.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 12:06 AM   #4953
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Caro has done wonders for Rory. In particular she showed him what fitness really meant. And Rory has really benefitted. I just wish Rory was able to find something in return that would really help Caro in her tennis career. I'm sure he'd love to - but it's only been Caro able to help Rory so far.
Caroline has to hold serve, close out sets and matches. She already knows it. When she had matchpoint vs Li, she was broken 6 of her last 7 service games.Now its the norm. Even when she's up 4-2 vs Georges or 4-1 vs Kerber, she cant even get those sets to a tiebreak.She has to hold. Thats how you win majors. You have to serve out sets... Rory is spectacular, and might earn billions and be the next Tiger, Michael Jordan, Federer...Its different for Caroline. She has to focus better and peform on big points
... She was down 1-5 all 3 sets vs Kanepi ar RG. Down a double break all 3 sets vs Maria in Miami SF. You cant win like that. Have to hold
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 12:18 AM   #4954
country flag Hoergren
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of

Sorry to interupt but why is Copenhagen STILL anounced on the WTA tour?

http://www.wtatennis.com/tournaments#

look at April.
Hoergren is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 04:56 AM   #4955
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoergren View Post
Sorry to interupt but why is Copenhagen STILL anounced on the WTA tour?

http://www.wtatennis.com/tournaments#

look at April.
It might be because,like Caro,the WTA website has found a bf and can't perfectly focus on its primary task......or,more likely,it's simply a poorly-maintained,assclown operation

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Temporary Destination 6: Another step towards what will , eventually, be the FINAL Destination
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 05:57 AM   #4956
country flag Robert77

Robert77 has disabled reputation

This is a question for WTA.
Definitely April 2013 we will have a WTA International in Katowice, where Caro not play next year. Another attempt make possibility for Aga to play there, but still Aga need special permission. In my opinion very little chance.

For me better Caro play Katowice 2013 and Aga is the special guast. They could play exhibition match. Caroline would be a special guast WTA Katowice 2014.
Robert77 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 08:03 AM   #4957
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert77 View Post
This is a question for WTA.
Definitely April 2013 we will have a WTA International in Katowice, where Caro not play next year. Another attempt make possibility for Aga to play there, but still Aga need special permission. In my opinion very little chance.

For me better Caro play Katowice 2013 and Aga is the special guast. They could play exhibition match. Caroline would be a special guast WTA Katowice 2014.
For Caro it is impossible to play Katovice. Her International in first half is Kuala Lumpur in second Seoul.
Saraya! is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 01:26 PM   #4958
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When they first started dating in public, Rory said: She has what I want, #1. I have what she wants, a major.
Now Rory is #1 and won mutiple majors. He has it all now. Superstar status, biggest endorsement deals.
Caroline has played reckless, error-filled tennis since they started dating. She has to show this relationship doesnt hurt her tennis. Thats a big part of 2013

Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4959
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Other players also have their partners and do well,though. Look at Federer,a married guy with kids, who is still one of the best players on the mens tour. So, it is possible to make it work.
I think that in 2012 it was an interplay of many things which affected Caroline´s performance - changing coaches,drop in form and injuries,bad losses which affected her confidence,relationship, work for sponsors.
She´s lost her focus that she used to have in the past.
Hopefully she´ll be wiser in managing it all now. 2012 has taught her many lessons,good and bad, after all.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 12:00 AM   #4960
country flag goldenlox

Having a successful boyfriend is no excuse. Changing coaches is no excuse.
She just hasnt been the same player she used to be. Look at that missed overhead against Radwanska, on a key break point.
She has to play better on key points, and on her serve. Otherwise, she wont improve much

Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 04:50 AM   #4961
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
When they first started dating in public, Rory said: She has what I want, #1. I have what she wants, a major.
Now Rory is #1 and won mutiple majors. He has it all now. Superstar status, biggest endorsement deals.
Caroline has played reckless, error-filled tennis since they started dating. She has to show this relationship doesnt hurt her tennis. Thats a big part of 2013
This isn't directed at you personally GL but...

The hell she does. She needs to be sure she understands the weaknesses in her game and that she knows how to fix them (however long it takes). Her game was in decline before they met, and not all the issues are within her control, so she has to make do, and find workarounds until solutions are ready. What she does after work is her business, It's her life, only life, and not ours. If we don't like her commitment or choices then we are free to follow some other player.

Hopefully she sorts out her stick, keeps working on the serve, and spends some extra time looking at matchplay to avoid falling into the traps she did in 2012 with her then progressively less effective strokes and shot making. Finding a new balance is the way forward imho, as well as sorting out better stratergies to finish key points, be they high risk or just smart. I hope she is more than a year wiser after having seen her game often ripped apart by less than dramatic or brilliant play this year. If I had to choose the most important improvement towards the end of the year, it would be her leaner physique and subsequently faster court reactions and speed.

I doubt Caroline bases her self-worth on trophies... By all accounts she leaves work at work according to her own admission. If you enjoy your job then that's a great step to fullfilment.

We have the Irony thread for discussing Caros off court life, precisely because it is irrelivant to her tennis in the same way having one arm would be because It is what it is.

Happy holidays to all, and see you in January
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM   #4962
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Other players also have their partners and do well,though. Look at Federer,a married guy with kids, who is still one of the best players on the mens tour. So, it is possible to make it work.
I think that in 2012 it was an interplay of many things which affected Caroline´s performance - changing coaches,drop in form and injuries,bad losses which affected her confidence,relationship, work for sponsors.
She´s lost her focus that she used to have in the past.
Hopefully she´ll be wiser in managing it all now. 2012 has taught her many lessons,good and bad, after all.
Agree!!100%!!
Saraya! is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 10:59 AM   #4963
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Caroline has to hold serve, close out sets and matches. She already knows it. When she had matchpoint vs Li, she was broken 6 of her last 7 service games.Now its the norm. Even when she's up 4-2 vs Georges or 4-1 vs Kerber, she cant even get those sets to a tiebreak.She has to hold. Thats how you win majors. You have to serve out sets... Rory is spectacular, and might earn billions and be the next Tiger, Michael Jordan, Federer...Its different for Caroline. She has to focus better and peform on big points
... She was down 1-5 all 3 sets vs Kanepi ar RG. Down a double break all 3 sets vs Maria in Miami SF. You cant win like that. Have to hold
Hmm. maybe. I hear and agree with all you say about it being up to Caro on court - your constant theme - but yet I'm still shaking my head that Rory has not been able to do anything to help Caro with her tennis. I guess really that Caro worked so hard off the court that it was an area quite easy to see how Caro could help Rory. It's harder to pinpoint anything he could do for Caro the other way around.

One thing I wonder. If Rory had any doubts Caro was doing something right - would he say? Who's the boss in the relationship? I imagine it's Caro and Rory would either go along with what or if it came to who would back down and Caro got stubborn - Rory would back off. Look at that not eating anything sweet contest they had. If she thinks she's right - Caro wins the battle of wills.

Anyway just as a for instance: If she schedules half a dozen back to back tournaments with a couple of exhibitions, and wants to watch Rory at golf at the same time (mind you Rory obviously wants to see her and may not be truly objective himself) - but would Rory - if he thought that she's trying to do too much and it wasn't the best idea - would he even tell her that she may think she can do everything but it's a bad idea.

I suppose the other thing that I still don't get is that players at all levels in all sports do talk about the crowd lifting them and making them play much better. You don't have to be a Tiger to be inspired by the support. Look at how every single European player whatever their normal level of play was inspired by the support in the Ryder Cup. But she's never been inspired or lifted in her play to my knowledge by Rory being there to support her.

Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM   #4964
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Hmm. maybe. I hear and agree with all you say about it being up to Caro on court - your constant theme - but yet I'm still shaking my head that Rory has not been able to do anything to help Caro with her tennis....
I dont know what Rory can tell Caro that she doesnt already know.
When Rory ended his year with 5 birdies in a row to win Dubai, it was performing at a high level under pressure.
Thats what world class sport is - creates an 'artificial' pressure between successful, wealthy star players as they compete for big titles.
You have to play big in big moments.
Being #10 is still excellent, 99% of everyone playing tennis would love that ranking.
But where Rory is (#1 with 2 recent majors), thats the extreme elite, and you have to perform great in pressure moments to be there

Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 12:56 PM   #4965
country flag terjw

There is one thing I don't hear about that I would like her team to do. And that is comprehensive stats broken down in much more detail than just UE, Winner etc on all Caro's matches. Every point. This is in addition to watching videos of her matches. You make some good points about when she'sbeen in a winning position and pressure points. But I'd like to see her team recording of all her points done much more thoroughly and with much more rigour than what we observe. And everything put into a spreadsheet. The idea being what she works on - the whole strategy of her training and preparation should be data driven as to what works percentage -wise and what doesn't work so well.

One problem Caro and most players have is they lapse into playing a different way from what they accepted mentally they should do. Deep down - she may play hoping for an error when things get tight and she's in a winnin g position - yet she accepted mentally that she should not play like that. In these situations in a winning position - you often find opponents raise their game and play much better - it's two way and not just about choking. But I've seen "hoping your opponent gifts it to you with an error" and not playing the way you got to a winning position swing the whole match the other way round. It's not just Caro. It happens all the time. And you can see the conflict between head and deep down instincts and the nerves.

The more you can prove from data what really works % wise and what doesn't. And watch previous matches as well. The more that can back up what she does has done in training is right - the more chance of reducing the conflict between head and deep down instincts in a match. Also - if you record everything and put it all in a spreadsheet - it may come up with answers that are different to our pet theories and what we think she should do.

Back in the late 90's - Annika Sorenstam set out to be the best golfer in the world and raised the bar to how players prepared. Her physical training went far above anything that any golfer did back then. But the other thin - she recorded every shot and put it into a spreadsheet to determine what to practice. She went on to blow away her competition on number of wins she had and qualified for HOF two times over. She is in the mix in discussions on all-time greatest woman golfer ever. Spreadsheets are common-place now. But back then - many people didn't even know what they were - let alone use them. And even having a computer was something fairly new then.

Last edited by terjw : Dec 23rd, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Closed Thread