Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 320 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 02:24 PM   #4786
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
Well the problem is that you can play 2 but one in the first part of the season & the other one on the 2nd part. Aga already commited to Auckland so she can't play Katowice. She was asking the council/wta or whatever, to allow her to play both Internationals in the first part of the season and none on the 2nd part.
Ok,thanks for your explanation but,even so,I don't see why Aga can't just apologize to Auckland now in explaining that she didn't realize there would be an event in her home country(the switch from Copenhagen to Katowice was fairly recent,right?).....OOPS!Just remembered that Auckland was in NZ and NOT Australia(lol)...still,the Kiwis are pretty laid back,non-nuclear,pacifist types,so they should be able to cope with such a withdrawal from Caro's buddy

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Am working on a device that would translate cat meows to human languages

Last edited by bruce goose : Nov 22nd, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
bruce goose is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #4787
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachy View Post
It's just unfortunate that Agnieszka committed to playing Auckland prior to the announcement of the new tournament in Poland taking place. It just seems to be a matter of bad timing. With the two internationals per season rule, are they only allowed to commit to one in each half of the season? I don't necessarily disagree with the rule to be honest. You want the top ten to solidify their position by beating the best and not relying on playing extra international tournaments for points.
Well, if the're allowed to play two internationals per year I don't think it should be a big issue if you play them both in the first or second half of the year or one in each half. If the WTA wants to avoid players competing in two internationals in a short space of time that rule won't necessarily prevent it anyway because you could play one towards the end of the first half and one at the start of the second half of the season. I don't think that internationals have that big an impact on the ranking of the top 5 or 10 players anyway.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 06:47 PM   #4788
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

I am rather sure that you can play only one each half of the year...

I don't really like the Idea of playing an exo in March in Asia anw...

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 07:19 PM   #4789
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

The ITF website has info about it and Caro wanna play...

Quote:
“For me it is always exciting to play in Asia,” said Li. “I hope to have the crowd support in this match. It will be a great night for tennis, and hopefully it gets more people playing the game.”

Her opponent was equally enthusiastic about spreading the message about her sport: “It’s great to have the chance to play in Hong Kong again,” said Wozniacki. “It’s also exciting to be part of the first World Tennis Day. I hope it’s successful in getting more kids playing around the world.”

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 11:55 PM   #4790
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, if it's a rule I don't see why it should even have been up for a vote. Now whether it's a good rule or a bad one is a different discussion and one well worth having.
Terrible rule. But then all the WTA rules about where you can and cannot play are terrible and should be scrapped. I'd definitely get rid of them all. Incidentally - when they made Miami a mandatory - they got fewer top player there than they got before so they don't wotrk. Personally I'd be fine with saying Internationals cannot count towards a top 10 player's ranking points or whatever. I think the WTA should scrap the rules and then have that ranking should come from the slams, YEC, 4PMs and P5s so that there are only 2 other tournaments left to get ranking points (if qualify for YEC).

But don't for Christs sake ever stop a player playing a tournament - especially not a home tournament. There is no need at all for all these ridiculous rules at all. Last time I followed golf - they didn't have a ridiculous 500 page rulebook on where you could or could not play and they satisfy the sponsors etc. Although in golf they do have a rule if you are in the PGA - you cannot play at a tournament on another tour if it clashes with one of their tournaments. I don't even like that rule - but can understand a tour not wanting a rival tour poaching their players.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Nov 23rd, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 12:09 AM   #4791
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about schedule no Charleston or Brussels please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas View Post
What else do a tennis player wish for! That's every players dream. Anything possible it's just a game' not like she wants to be president !
Yes, momma! Teach these basic girls the meaning of context!
Nicolás89 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 04:23 AM   #4792
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Let's restate the simple fact that Caroline has won more PREMIUM titles than at least 95% of the other players have won all titles,period.Even if we played devil's advocate,there is only a very small group of players whose fans could even halfway badmouth Caro b/c she is better than most all faves in winning the big matches

Even so,it's an inbred,moronic conspiracy theory to suggest that a 'whoring' player could match a respected star who played the tougher tourneys.With the lower point totals,a player would have to outright win THREE Ints. just to match the points gained from one of the higher-stakes premiers.In the process,she'd most likely burn herself out and be useless even before the USO Series ended.I recall how Dinara took lots of heat here for playing the relatively-weak Portoroz in 2009...only that ONE Intl.---so just imagine how much notoriety a better player would get if she routinely feasted on weaker draws at Internationals.The peer and media pressure would be so intense she could hardly bear it....Fortunately,it's a moot point amongst intelligent tennis fans,cuz everyone can see how Caro shows up for the tougher events.

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 09:57 AM   #4793
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Let's restate the simple fact that Caroline has won more PREMIUM titles than at least 95% of the other players have won all titles,period.Even if we played devil's advocate,there is only a very small group of players whose fans could even halfway badmouth Caro b/c she is better than most all faves in winning the big matches

Even so,it's an inbred,moronic conspiracy theory to suggest that a 'whoring' player could match a respected star who played the tougher tourneys.With the lower point totals,a player would have to outright win THREE Ints. just to match the points gained from one of the higher-stakes premiers.In the process,she'd most likely burn herself out and be useless even before the USO Series ended.I recall how Dinara took lots of heat here for playing the relatively-weak Portoroz in 2009...only that ONE Intl.---so just imagine how much notoriety a better player would get if she routinely feasted on weaker draws at Internationals.The peer and media pressure would be so intense she could hardly bear it....Fortunately,it's a moot point amongst intelligent tennis fans,cuz everyone can see how Caro shows up for the tougher events.
Exactly. They moan about the off season and say "I'm bored". Then they insult the players who do play by calling them "vultures" and "whores". There was a time when Caro was #1 when she had over 1000 ranking points that didn't actually count in her ranking.

But I think there should be even less flexibility on what big tournaments you can drop for your ranking. And to me - the distinction between PMs and P5s is artificial and good for adding another 50 pages or more to a complicated rule book. IMO - they should all have to count. I don't know why the WTA invents the names PM and P5 and goes on to make artificial complicated rules to distinguish between them. They just love having rules whether or not many of them are flagrantly broken.

Rome doesn't neccessarily have to count at the moment depending on nonsense like if it's yourr 2nd best P5 etc. But if you entered it and then withdraw - it does count as a 0 for you. But if you enter it and "tank" your match - it doesn't now count - you can swap it for a tournament you did better in. Doesn't make sense. Encourages the worst possible behaviour of entering a tournament and "tanking" they are so tied in knots with the rulebook. Make all the big tournaments have to count.

Of course - even if it was made so exclusive that you couldn't get any ranking points for any tournaments rated below PM and P5 (and that would exclude strong tournaments like Sydney, Eastbourne, Stuttgard ....) - players like Aga and Caro who played a full schedule would still be called "vultures" and "whores" when they played other tournaments and when they don't pull out of some of the big tournaments like Beijing and Tokyo.

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4794
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Terrible rule. But then all the WTA rules about where you can and cannot play are terrible and should be scrapped. I'd definitely get rid of them all. Incidentally - when they made Miami a mandatory - they got fewer top player there than they got before so they don't wotrk. Personally I'd be fine with saying Internationals cannot count towards a top 10 player's ranking points or whatever. I think the WTA should scrap the rules and then have that ranking should come from the slams, YEC, 4PMs and P5s so that there are only 2 other tournaments left to get ranking points (if qualify for YEC).
Sounds good to me. I support the aim of trying to get as many top players as possible to compete in the premier mandatory and premier5 events, but making them "mandatory" doesn't really work because the top players do whatever they want regardless of that. I don't think that getting rid of the mandatory label would make that much of a difference anyway because the prestige of those tournaments and the money and points that the're playing for is enough of an incentive to make sure that the vast majority of top players would compete.

Caroline Wozniacki

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4795
country flag terjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
The ITF website has info about it and Caro wanna play...
I think she's got her priorities way wrong here. She will no doubt have a bit of time between flying across the world into IW and her first match since if I remember right - it always seems like the 2nd week before matches actually start. But it's just silly IMO when she could be there in plenty of time focused on preparing for the tournament.

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 10:31 AM   #4796
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
But I think there should be even less flexibility on what big tournaments you can drop for your ranking. And to me - the distinction between PMs and P5s is artificial and good for adding another 50 pages or more to a complicated rule book. IMO - they should all have to count. I don't know why the WTA invents the names PM and P5 and goes on to make artificial complicated rules to distinguish between them. They just love having rules whether or not many of them are flagrantly broken.
And they are rules and names that 98% of the tennis viewing public don't understand anyway. Why not follow the example of the ATP with their masters series? Everyone immediately understands that a masters 1000 is a bigger event than a masters 500 and that a masters 500 is a bigger event than a masters 250 - no explanation is needed because the name itself explains it. But I bet that many casual (and perhaps even some non-casual) tennis fans couldn't explain to you what the difference is between a premier mandatory, a premier5, a premier or an international.

Caroline Wozniacki

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 02:20 PM   #4797
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
And they are rules and names that 98% of the tennis viewing public don't understand anyway. Why not follow the example of the ATP with their masters series? Everyone immediately understands that a masters 1000 is a bigger event than a masters 500 and that a masters 500 is a bigger event than a masters 250 - no explanation is needed because the name itself explains it. But I bet that many casual (and perhaps even some non-casual) tennis fans couldn't explain to you what the difference is between a premier mandatory, a premier5, a premier or an international.
We need a benevolent despot to rule the WTA.It's virtually a natural law that government gets increasingly stupider,and LESS efficient,by adding more laws and bureaucracy.....For the record,Nadia and Sveta have each won 13 titles,TOTAL,which equals Caro's PREMIER haul.If Caro wins only one Slam,then no one will argue that she had a better career than the latter of those two.There are only four current gals whose overall title tally EXCEEDS Caro's Premier total,and most of us can easily figure out who 3 of those four are...with the 4th being Caro's #1-ranked buddy

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 03:30 PM   #4798
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
We need a benevolent despot to rule the WTA.It's virtually a natural law that government gets increasingly stupider,and LESS efficient,by adding more laws and bureaucracy.....For the record,Nadia and Sveta have each won 13 titles,TOTAL,which equals Caro's PREMIER haul.If Caro wins only one Slam,then no one will argue that she had a better career than the latter of those two.There are only four current gals whose overall title tally EXCEEDS Caro's Premier total,and most of us can easily figure out who 3 of those four are...with the 4th being Caro's #1-ranked buddy
Among players of her age group I'd rank Caro second behind Vika only when it comes to career achievements so far with Kvitova at three and Aga at four. One could make an argument for Petra as #2, but for me Wozzy's consistency and two year end number one rankings are the deciding factor. All four are within striking distance of the one in front of them though, so it's entirely possible (even likely) that six months from now I'd already rank them differently.

Caroline Wozniacki

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 05:26 PM   #4799
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Among players of her age group I'd rank Caro second behind Vika only when it comes to career achievements so far with Kvitova at three and Aga at four. One could make an argument for Petra as #2, but for me Wozzy's consistency and two year end number one rankings are the deciding factor. All four are within striking distance of the one in front of them though, so it's entirely possible (even likely) that six months from now I'd already rank them differently.
You well state that it's more difficult to assess younger players because they can have a superb season or two that changes all perspective on their career achievements.It's easier to rate retired or older players with a broader range of performance to analyze.

Seriously,I'd like her to win more than one,but if Caro gets even ONE Slam,that'll silence most criticism from stable-minded fans when you add that to her overall title rally and extensive run at #1.I,and many others,don't care what the idiot brigade thinks,because praise/criticism only counts for much when it comes from credible sources.E.g.,there's some movie out now about a teddy bear that's transformed into a human being,and my gf wanted me to take her to see it so she tried to persuade me by saying that my sister raved about it on Facebook...and that TOTALLY backfired cuz my sister only likes moronic,inbred,festering goat manure such as the American sitcom 'Friends'...which means the movie MUST suck...so we went to see a French comedy with Spanish subtitles that we both enjoyed a lot

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 05:46 PM   #4800
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yes, I agree that a slam title is the only piece of the puzzle that's still missing. She just has to keep on giving it all she's got and don't lose patience. If she continues playing for the next six or seven (or hopefully more) years it's entirely possible that things will go her way at least once.

Caroline Wozniacki

Closed Thread