Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 260 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #3886
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novichok View Post
I disagree. Those players only started to beat Caro once she changed her game post-Wimbledon. Before that her only really bad losses were against Hantuchova (at Roland Garros) and Petkovic (at Miami). And in both of those matches, she played HER GAME poorly. Also, I find it extremely unlikely that so many players on tour had this huge epiphany on how to beat Caro in such an extremely short period of time when only a few months earlier she was dominating non-slam events.

Then there's the issue of Aga Radwanska. Yes, she throws in a few slices and dropshots but she's not some masterful tactician. Her playing style is not drastically different from Caro's style from post-Wimbledon 2010 - Wimbledon 2011 (except Caro was a better player).
Not true look at how she lost too CIBULKOVA twice in 2011 and Li Na at the AO that was a match Caro was suppose to win she had that, but if she had a weapon too get her outta trouble she could've won, she can't keep waiting on the error and like Jimmie said below many of player have improve it time for Caro too improve on her game, look how much andy murray improve through the years as a counter puncher on the men side Caro can do the same

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3887
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
The thing is, it's not just that Caro's level has dropped but the other top players have improved. Radwanska, Vika, Kvitova etc. didn't play as good as they do today when she had her hot streak, so just getting back to where she was wouldn't automatically mean that she would get back to the top.

Even if she would go back to her early 2011 level, I don't think it's enough to make it back to the Top 3, let alone the #1.
I disagree, but we'll never know. I dont think Kvitova played that well this year. I dont think Radwanska played any better. Aga took the opening from Caro losing early, but she barely got passed Kirilenko at Wimbledon, and done nothing since.
There's Serena. Then Vika & Maria. Caroline should be playing them, like in Miami.
Caro would not have to do much to get to Serena in the quarters with her USOpen draw. Same with getting to Vika at Wimbledon.

I think she should have made 3 slam quarters this year. She made a deep run in Miami, and should have done better in Doha. If she lost early at Wimbledon, she should have played the US premiers that Vanderweghe made a final then Cibulkova won.

But she isnt into playing a lot of matches this year. The old Caro had tons of opportunities just playing her game
This year she's losing round 1 and watching golf during week 1 of majors
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #3888
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
The thing is, it's not just that Caro's level has dropped but the other top players have improved. Radwanska, Vika, Kvitova etc. didn't play as good as they do today when she had her hot streak, so just getting back to where she was wouldn't automatically mean that she would get back to the top.

Even if she would go back to her early 2011 level, I don't think it's enough to make it back to the Top 3, let alone the #1.
Yes, they're playing better but I don't think that Caro's early 2011 form was worse than Radwanska's 2012 form. And it's not like Caro would have to play all of those players in a single tournament or even beat them to be top 3. How many times did Radwanska beat Azarenka this year? How many times did she beat Kvitova? How many times did she beat Sharapova?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Not true look at how she lost too CIBULKOVA twice in 2011 and Li Na at the AO that was a match Caro was suppose to win she had that, but if she had a weapon too get her outta trouble she could've won, she can't keep waiting on the error and like Jimmie said below many of player have improve it time for Caro too improve on her game, look how much andy murray improve through the years as a counter puncher on the men side Caro can do the same
She lost to Cibulkova in her first match of the year. That was a shocker but she was just rusty. She lost to Cibulkova at Wimbledon too but grass is her worse surface and no one was really expecting her to do really well there. The loss to Li Na was devastating but she still made the SF (and losing in a SF of a slam shouldn't lead anyone to conclude that she wouldn't be top 3). Caro was a much better player in the early part of 2011. Her backhand was better, her movement was better, her forehand was better, her serve was better, and her net game was better. Everything was better than it is now. She was even more aggressive then. She didn't need to drastically change her game.
Novichok is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #3889
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, I just feel like the Top 5 has much more depth than 12-16 months ago.

You can't argue that there was a bit of a void back then with Serena and Kim injured, Sharapova still bouncing back from injury etc. Now, there's Serena in proper form, Sharapova back to her full level. Add to that two players from Caroline's generation that have won slams and established themselves in the Top 5, then there's Radwanska, Kerber etc.

My Tennis Photo Database
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #3890
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Sharapova just struggled past Petrova & Bartoli.
If Caroline did that in 2011 we'd be reading in GM about how she sucks

The depth is arguable because players come & go. If Vika gets crushed in the final, how could can this depth be? No one can get more than 2 or 3 games a match vs Serena
I tend to think Dementieva & Kuznetsova in 2009 where pretty good, and could play everyone now except for best of Serena
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3891
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
DIAH.

Firstly the bottom line was Caro was the clear underdog before the match against Sveta by all the pundits before the match. You can waffle about wins that season and rankings which is about like saying Vika is fav against Serena or if Kerber had made it to face Serena that would be a "mild upset" for her to win. And as for dismiising Sveta's slam win that year on clay - well we could dismiss Serena's slam as just on grass. Bottom line is the experts at the time put Sveta as the clear favourite. Plus she had the game to blow Caro away.

Secondly during the match vs Sveta (and my original post was simply agreeing with overrule about how thrilled I was) - Sveta was an even bigger massive favourite for 2 sets - as she would have been against practically anyone.

Thirdly - protesting "I never said that...". Well all you ever talk about on that slam is "easy draws" and "I make Caro slight favourite vs Sveta" and "Kim won in a weak era - she only played Caro in the final.." No you didn't rubbish the rest of her draw. But you never said anything good about her or Caro's wins. Your silence about Kim's title being as hard as it gets with beating both sisters was deafening. If all you do is take a pot shot at weak draws and weak eras and never ever say anything good about them then - I'll draw my own conclusions as opposed to analysing what precise words you didn't say or mean.

Fourthly, I can't help but wonder - what if Caro had Serena's draw this USO now. All the seeds Serena was due to face going out early. No top 10 player to beat to get to the finals. Another weak draw I suppose. Well Serena has shown herself to be playing fantastic right now and deserves all the praise she gets. And Caro also deserves praise for that great USO 2009 run that I now miss.

Fifthly - the bottom line with this "so-called" easy draw is that there were 63 players in Caro's half including #1 Safina, Sharapova, Dementieva, Sveta that did not make it to the final. Ask them if it was an easy draw in that half.

No doubt there are some other posters here who think she had an easy draw. Fair enough if there are. But none of them apart from you go on a mission and continually try to ram that view down our throats in Caro's forum and never have a good word to say about Caro then. I find it difficult to believe you were actually following that tournament and that match vs Sveta if your main feeling was that it was a "slight upset" or "she was slight favourite" and it was an "easy draw" as opposed to you being absolutely thrilled that she managed to turn it around.

Lastly - I would just ask as a polite request to drop this. I'm not trying to censor you and you have a perfect right to ignore that request of mine as asking too much in an open forum. But nothing good comes of it. We know where we both stand and nothing is ever going to change that. We just get more irritated.
So you are ignoring the fact that after Roland Garros leading up to the U.S. Open that Caroline won nearly four times as many matches as Svetlana (19-5)? That seems silly to me but ok. Of course the pundits picked Svetlana, they will nearly always pick the more well known player and often they don't look past the results at the slams when making their predictions. Yesterday there was an obvious bias towards Maria but "real" tennis fans knew that Vika has owned Maria on hardcourts the last two seasons. What matters more, actual results or the opinions of the pundits?

You're comparing Serena Williams, arguably the greatest female tennis player to ever play the game, and Svetlana Kuznetsova? Really? You honestly think there is no difference between those two and that is an accurate comparison? I understand the point you are trying to make but I think you undercut your own argument by using Serena in your example. Using this years seeds is another bad example (Kerber was six, Caroline, who was injured/slumping, was eight) but how about last year? Would you be shocked if Marion Bartoli defeated Na Li? What about the 2010 example (Na Li hypothetically defeating Francesca Schiavone)? Maybe I am being unreasonable but I just don't see much difference between most players ranked six and eight and for the lower ranked player to score a win seems like a relatively minor upset.

I think the truth matters. Maybe you don't but, yes, it bothers me when people put words in my mouth. I have repeatedly asked people not to do that but it doesn't seem to make any difference. If you want to disagree with me that's fine, I enjoy and welcome friendly debate, but I would really rather that you disagree with things that I actually said rather than things that you think I said. Surely that is not asking too much?

Serena did have a top ten opponent on her way to the final. She faced Sara Errani in the semi-final. Currently Errani is ranked tenth and when the rankings are updated she will move up at least one spot, maybe more.

I'm not on any mission and I'm not ramming anything down anyone's throat. I was responding to a (in my view) snarky post directed at me. Absent that post I wouldn't have mentioned anything about the 2009 U.S. Open.

This is a forum about Caroline and that run to the 2009 U.S. Open final is one of her career peaks so I can't promise that I will never mention this topic again. Inevitably her 2009 U.S. Open is going to be discussed again and I won't shy away from stating my opinions about it. However, in an attempt to extend an olive branch and keep the peace I shall try not to mention it for the rest of 2012.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3892
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
The odds for the Caro/Kuznetsova US Open match in 2009 according to matchsat.com were 1.86/1.92.
Could someone explain to a non gambler what those numbers mean? I'm guessing that the odds were very even with Svetlana being the slight favourite?

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #3893
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Sharapova just struggled past Petrova & Bartoli.
If Caroline did that in 2011 we'd be reading in GM about how she sucks
This is so true.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #3894
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
So you are ignoring the fact that after Roland Garros leading up to the U.S. Open that Caroline won nearly four times as many matches as Svetlana (19-5)? That seems silly to me but ok. Of course the pundits picked Svetlana, they will nearly always pick the more well known player and often they don't look past the results at the slams when making their predictions. Yesterday there was an obvious bias towards Maria but "real" tennis fans knew that Vika has owned Maria on hardcourts the last two seasons. What matters more, actual results or the opinions of the pundits?

You're comparing Serena Williams, arguably the greatest female tennis player to ever play the game, and Svetlana Kuznetsova? Really? You honestly think there is no difference between those two and that is an accurate comparison? I understand the point you are trying to make but I think you undercut your own argument by using Serena in your example. Using this years seeds is another bad example (Kerber was six, Caroline, who was injured/slumping, was eight) but how about last year? Would you be shocked if Marion Bartoli defeated Na Li? What about the 2010 example (Na Li hypothetically defeating Francesca Schiavone)? Maybe I am being unreasonable but I just don't see much difference between most players ranked six and eight and for the lower ranked player to score a win seems like a relatively minor upset.

I think the truth matters. Maybe you don't but, yes, it bothers me when people put words in my mouth. I have repeatedly asked people not to do that but it doesn't seem to make any difference. If you want to disagree with me that's fine, I enjoy and welcome friendly debate, but I would really rather that you disagree with things that I actually said rather than things that you think I said. Surely that is not asking too much?

Serena did have a top ten opponent on her way to the final. She faced Sara Errani in the semi-final. Currently Errani is ranked tenth and when the rankings are updated she will move up at least one spot, maybe more.

I'm not on any mission and I'm not ramming anything down anyone's throat. I was responding to a (in my view) snarky post directed at me. Absent that post I wouldn't have mentioned anything about the 2009 U.S. Open.

This is a forum about Caroline and that run to the 2009 U.S. Open final is one of her career peaks so I can't promise that I will never mention this topic again. Inevitably her 2009 U.S. Open is going to be discussed again and I won't shy away from stating my opinions about it. However, in an attempt to extend an olive branch and keep the peace I shall try not to mention it for the rest of 2012.
Well, if this is not a proof that you are on a mission to put down Caroline's accomplishments I don't know what is.

My comment was not directed at anyone specifically and certainly wasn't snarky . You spoke up yourself and just confirmed what I was saying

I find it really amusing that you are trying,yet again, make yourself look like a victim even though you are the opposite. Just because sometimes your words are paraphrased or we draw conclusions BASED ON WHAT YOU SAID doesn't mean anyone is putting words to your mouth.

You constantly belittle Caroline's accomplishments and try to imply a doubt and negativity about everything she does. It's obvious that you come to this player forum with a purpose although a different one than the rest of us fans. If someone unknown from GM came here with these kind of comments I can imagine we'd wave them goodbye with a ban. I think it's now getting more than obvious you belong in that category. In the end of the day Martian Jeza also claimed to be a fan...

Last edited by marineblue : Sep 8th, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #3895
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Can Caro please get healthy and play a tournament, preferably doing well in it? These arguments between forum members are becoming rather annoying.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3896
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

There wouldn't be arguments if there wasn't trolling.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #3897
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody's trolling, you just attack everyone who doesn't share your opinion. It's so tiring...if you can't live with people disagreeing with you a message board is simply the wrong place to be.

My Tennis Photo Database
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #3898
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Can Caro please get healthy and play a tournament, preferably doing well in it? These arguments between forum members are becoming rather annoying.
Sorry about that. I'll try to ignore the posters I don't get along with.

Back to tennis, could you (or anyone else) explain what those odds that you posted mean?

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #3899
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Sorry about that. I'll try to ignore the posters I don't get along with.

Back to tennis, could you (or anyone else) explain what those odds that you posted mean?
I don't know what exactly the betting odds mean just that Caro was the slight favorite according to the odds listed. I think TennisFan66 would know though. He makes more than a few references to betting.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #3900
country flag Protoss

Is Caro playing Fed Cup next year? I've been thinking about what her schedule for next year should be.
Closed Thread