Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 259 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #3871
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Oudin and Wickermayer were no easy opponents neither. Underdogs playing on a high level at big stages is nothing new,it happens at every slam.
In Oudin's case in particular UO 2009 was the best performance of her career.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #3872
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
In Oudin's case in particular UO 2009 was the best performance of her career.
Which, looking at her career, isn't saying very much ....

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #3873
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I'm taking the bait! IT WAS AN EASY DRAW!

Melanie Oudin (ranked seventieth) in the quarters and Yanina Wickmayer (ranked fiftieth) in the semis. You can't even admit that for a top ten player these are about as easy of an opponent as you are going to get that deep in a slam? marineblue, I challenge you to find me a player that had easier opponents that late in a slam.

Sure on paper Caroline defeating Svetlana was a minor upset but we are talking number eight versus number six, they were fairly evenly matched. After Roland Garros leading up to the U.S. Open Caroline was clearly posting better results than Svetlana and I would argue that based on form Caroline was the favourite in that match.
Are you living on the same planet? Caro favourite in that match vs Sveta? No she wasn't. Minor upset against a slam winner that year - NO. Of course this was the same tournament you claimed Kim had an easy draw because she only had to face Caro in the finals.

Perhaps you should go to Serena's forum and mention her slam wins 2003-2007 were easy because Justine wasn't playing at any of them. Or her 2010 Wimbledon title has an asterisk because she didn't even have to beat any top 10 player on her way and see the reaction you'd get.

I know that Caro was the underdog in that match in a big way before the match and during. I watched it. And Sveta played really well for nearly two sets - well enough to beat other players in 2 straight sets. And I was thrilled in that David and Goliath scenario that she managed to hang in there and turn it around. How anyone without an agenda of their own could say that was easy is beyond me.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #3874
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I dont worry about the quality of draws because I've seen Caroline go thru tough draws.
At IW 2011 she had Azarenka, Sharapova, Bartoli. So?
2010 Tokyo was Radwanka, Azarenka, Dementieva.

When you're winning, you're going to have both, tough & easy draws.
When you dont win a lot of matches, it doesnt matter what the draw is.

If you saw the last 2 matches both Vika & Maria played ( including this SF), they were long tough matches.

Caroline used to fight those out all the time.
To me, thats whats missing, the fight. Digging in and pulling thru. That used to be what Caroline did week in, week out
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #3875
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I dont worry about the quality of draws because I've seen Caroline go thru tough draws.
At IW 2011 she had Azarenka, Sharapova, Bartoli. So?
2010 Tokyo was Radwanka, Azarenka, Dementieva.

When you're winning, you're going to have both, tough & easy draws.
When you dont win a lot of matches, it doesnt matter what the draw is.

If you saw the last 2 matches both Vika & Maria played ( including this SF), they were long tough matches.

Caroline used to fight those out all the time.
To me, thats whats missing, the fight. Digging in and pulling thru. That used to be what Caroline did week in, week out
Exactly. Great post to put a proper perspective on things. There's way too much ridiculous talk about tough and easy draws. Draws don't really alter anything. The best players fight and win and thoroughly deserve it. A player plays who they play and that's all there is to it. And Caro used to be winning whether the draw was perceived as tough or easy.

On the other side of the coin - Caro is losing now and it's nothing to do with draws or that she's had Serena a few times. She's losing because she is a million miles away from the player she was back then.

Whining about easy draws in the past is taking a cheap pop at a player's achievments and in a player's forum there is nothing more divisive. On the other side - complaining about tough draws is an excuse for losing. It's OK a bit to talk about draws and when they come out - certainly. But going on and on about it and bringing this up again and again is divisive and achieves nothing. And NO PLAYER thinks like that.

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #3876
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, of course as Caroline keeps going down the rankings draws won't get any easier. But the difficulty of her draws has hardly been the problem. She rarely was able to make the most of even favorable draws this year and had so many losses against players she's supposed to beat that as the year went on they weren't even surprises anymore.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3877
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, of course as Caroline keeps going down the rankings draws won't get any easier. But the difficulty of her draws has hardly been the problem. She rarely was able to make the most of even favorable draws this year and had so many losses against players she's supposed to beat that as the year went on they weren't even surprises anymore.
Actually, the players she'll have to beat are the same. They just come in a different order

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3878
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Are you living on the same planet? Caro favourite in that match vs Sveta? No she wasn't. Minor upset against a slam winner that year - NO.
You seem like a pretty reasonable person so I hope you will keep an open mind and at least consider my position here. True, Svetlana had won a slam that year (on clay). I'm sure that one thing we can agree on is that clay is a very different surface than a hardcourt. I think we can also agree that it is not uncommon for players who win a slam to have trouble maintaining that high level of play. We have seen some recent slam winners (Na Li, Petra Kvitova, Sam Stosur) go into some slumps/mini slumps after winning their slams. I would argue that something similar (albeit on a smaller scale) happened to Svetlana. In 2009 she won Stuttgart, was in the final of Rome and won the French Open (she lost in the first round at Madrid). Undeniably those are great results (aside from Madrid) and she had a fantastic clay season. However, her results on clay from April-June are largely irrelevant concerning her results on hardcourts in August and September. How did she do compared to Caroline after the French Open leading up to the U.S. Open? Let's compare:

Eastbourne-Svetlana lost her first match, Caroline won the tournament
Wimbledon-Svetlana lost in the third round, Caroline lost in the fourth round (they both lost to Lisicki)
Bastad-Svetlana did not play, Caroline made the final
Los Angeles-Svetlana did not play, Caroline lost her first match
Cincinnati-Svetlana made the third round, Caroline made the fourth round
Toronto-they both lost their first match
New Haven-Svetlana made the quarters, Caroline won the tournament

Svetlana was 5-5 during this stretch, Caroline was 19-5. Clearly, Caroline was the "hotter" player heading in to the U.S. Open. Looking at how they did leading up to the U.S. Open it seems reasonable to claim that they were fairly evenly matched but that Caroline was the favourite. I will concede that rather than say "Caroline was the favourite" that I should have said "Caroline was the slight favourite." I still maintain that the number eight ranked player, who clearly had better results immediately leading up to the event in question, defeating the number sixth ranked player is not a huge upset. If you look at how they did in their first three matches they both won all three in straight sets and were never in any real danger of losing, they were both playing good tennis.

There is also their previous head to head record to consider. They had met three times prior to the 2009 U.S. Open. The first time was in 2008 in the fourth round at Indian Wells. Svetlana won that match fairly convincingly (6-2 6-3). Later that year they played at Eastbourne and this time Caroline scored an impressive win (6-2 6-2). The last time they met was in Miami where Svetlana outlasted Caroline in a three set match (6-4 6-7[5] 6-1). Looking at those results you have to give Svetlana the advantage but also consider that Caroline had defeated her before and that their last match went to three sets. Is it shocking that Caroline was able to defeat a player two spots higher than her in the rankings who she had a 1-2 record against? I don't think it was but you may disagree.

Quote:
Of course this was the same tournament you claimed Kim had an easy draw because she only had to face Caro in the finals.
Once again I would ask that people do not put words in my mouth. I never said "Kim had an easy draw because she only had to face Caro in the finals." I absolutely never said those words. I think this is probably the post you are thinking of:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=4006

What I said was:
Quote:
Facing Caroline, Vera and Na in slam finals is probably easier than facing Jennifer Capriati and Justine Henin.
That seems like a very measured, reasonable and uncontroversial statement to me. At the time that Kim faced Caroline and Na in a slam final neither one of them had ever been in one before. Vera had been in a slam final once before but it is probably fair to say that on both occasions she was overwhelmed and unable to play her best tennis. Capriati was a recent slam winner that was still on a hot streak and Justine had previously taken Venus (arguably the best grass court player of her generation) to three sets in a Wimbledon final. Kim first played Justine on clay in a grand slam final, Justine arguably being the greatest clay court player of her generation. I think my original statement is very reasonable and I even used the word "probably" rather than "definitely" since there is no way to prove my statement, it is just an opinion.
Quote:
Perhaps you should go to Serena's forum and mention her slam wins 2003-2007 were easy because Justine wasn't playing at any of them. Or her 2010 Wimbledon title has an asterisk because she didn't even have to beat any top 10 player on her way and see the reaction you'd get.
I'm not a fan of Serena, why would I post in her forum? I never suggested that Caroline's run to the 2009 U.S. Open final should have an asterisk next to it so I'm not sure why you are suggesting that. There is one big difference between what Serena did and what Caroline did. Serena won those slams you are referring to, Caroline did not so I don't see how it is an accurate comparison.

Quote:
I know that Caro was the underdog in that match in a big way before the match and during. I watched it. And Sveta played really well for nearly two sets - well enough to beat other players in 2 straight sets. And I was thrilled in that David and Goliath scenario that she managed to hang in there and turn it around. How anyone without an agenda of their own could say that was easy is beyond me.
Again, you are putting words in my mouth. I never claimed that that particular match was easy. I claimed that her draw, particularly the latter part, was easy. Which it was. Above I think I laid out a good case as to why I believe that Caroline was the slight favourite heading into that match and very much not "the underdog in that match in a big way." If you have a convincing counterargument as to why you believe that Caroline was the underdog I would like to hear it.

You rarely see one player ranked that low so deep (quarters/semis) in a slam and Caroline had two such players. Wickmayer had never been past the second round in a slam and since then she never made it past the fourth round. Oudin had made the fourth round at Wimbledon that year but since then she hasn't been past the second round at a slam and has had eight first round exits. These were not tough opponents that players typically face at that stage of grand slams, I just don't get why it is wrong to admit that. I'm not accusing her of fixing the draw or anything nefarious. She has no power over who makes it that far and all she can do is play whoever is across from the net but the reality is that she had two very low ranked players and found herself in a very favourable position that deep in a slam that very rarely happens. That is what I am saying now and that is all I ever said about it.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #3879
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

That 2009 USO. Besides Kim & Serena, who were the major contenders?
Caroline was in the half with Dementieva, Sharapova, Petrova, but Oudin beat all 3.
Sveta had won a major that year, served for the match against Serena the 2009 AO. Dementieva also lost to Serena in 2009 AO
In 2009 Dementieva beat Sharapova in the Rogers Cup final. After the USO, Maria won Tokyo beating Stosur & Jankovic. She wasnt terrible that fall. Besdes the Oudin loss, she won a Tier I and lost a Tier I final
So before USO, Elena won Rogers Cup. After 2009 USO, Maria, Sveta won Tokyo, Beijing

Its very dicey to look at old draws because there were times Kuznetsova was good, times she wasnt. Times Zvonareva was good, times she wasnt.

But that half of 2009 USO had most of the contenders besides Serena & Kim. You know who Serena played right before losing to Kim? Pennetta. is that a tough QF draw at a slam?

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #3880
country flag terjw

DIAH.

Firstly the bottom line was Caro was the clear underdog before the match against Sveta by all the pundits before the match. You can waffle about wins that season and rankings which is about like saying Vika is fav against Serena or if Kerber had made it to face Serena that would be a "mild upset" for her to win. And as for dismiising Sveta's slam win that year on clay - well we could dismiss Serena's slam as just on grass. Bottom line is the experts at the time put Sveta as the clear favourite. Plus she had the game to blow Caro away.

Secondly during the match vs Sveta (and my original post was simply agreeing with overrule about how thrilled I was) - Sveta was an even bigger massive favourite for 2 sets - as she would have been against practically anyone.

Thirdly - protesting "I never said that...". Well all you ever talk about on that slam is "easy draws" and "I make Caro slight favourite vs Sveta" and "Kim won in a weak era - she only played Caro in the final.." No you didn't rubbish the rest of her draw. But you never said anything good about her or Caro's wins. Your silence about Kim's title being as hard as it gets with beating both sisters was deafening. If all you do is take a pot shot at weak draws and weak eras and never ever say anything good about them then - I'll draw my own conclusions as opposed to analysing what precise words you didn't say or mean.

Fourthly, I can't help but wonder - what if Caro had Serena's draw this USO now. All the seeds Serena was due to face going out early. No top 10 player to beat to get to the finals. Another weak draw I suppose. Well Serena has shown herself to be playing fantastic right now and deserves all the praise she gets. And Caro also deserves praise for that great USO 2009 run that I now miss.

Fifthly - the bottom line with this "so-called" easy draw is that there were 63 players in Caro's half including #1 Safina, Sharapova, Dementieva, Sveta that did not make it to the final. Ask them if it was an easy draw in that half.

No doubt there are some other posters here who think she had an easy draw. Fair enough if there are. But none of them apart from you go on a mission and continually try to ram that view down our throats in Caro's forum and never have a good word to say about Caro then. I find it difficult to believe you were actually following that tournament and that match vs Sveta if your main feeling was that it was a "slight upset" or "she was slight favourite" and it was an "easy draw" as opposed to you being absolutely thrilled that she managed to turn it around.

Lastly - I would just ask as a polite request to drop this. I'm not trying to censor you and you have a perfect right to ignore that request of mine as asking too much in an open forum. But nothing good comes of it. We know where we both stand and nothing is ever going to change that. We just get more irritated.

Last edited by terjw : Sep 8th, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #3881
country flag goldenlox

In womens tennis, besides Serena, there's nothing special going on. Kim was good when Serena was out.
Otherwise, all these tournaments are not that tough. Thats why Errani is in a slam F & SF the last 3 majors. Had got zero points in a set vs Shvedova at Wimbledon.

Thats why Caroline's dropoff is so perplexing. She would be right there with her old form. Maybe still without a major, but right there, with a chance to win a hardcourt major if something happens to Serena

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #3882
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
We are going to find out a lot about Caroline in the next year or 2.
I think she would still be in the top 3 if she didnt change her game.
But even with more errors, this game is mental, and if Caroline really wants a great career, not just a great year or so, she'll work for it and get it.
I disagree, Last Year alot player have figure out how too beat Caro & she just can't keep waiting on her opponents to draw the error, she has too take her chances and go for her shots, you don't wins slams by waiting on errors. I not saying she should change her game all the way too a different style but there thing she can improve on that can help her when she in trouble or down in a match like her serve, adding a drop shot and getting better at the net, and her FH can get way better. I always said I like her too develop an kim clijsters game style an player who great at offense as well as Defense and movement, I also think she need too get over her fear and learn how too come inside the baseline more often when she have an chance beside staying behind and being push back & I still think she need too go back too Babolat racquet

S. Stephens | M. Keys | A. Riske | C. Vandeweghe | J. Hampton | T. Townsend | V. Duval | S. Vickery | S. Crawford

L. Chirico | Cici. Bellis |T. Black | H. Black | J. Daniel | M. Gordon | S. Kenin | W. Osuigwe | M. Shishkina | G. Faith Andrews
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #3883
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

The odds for the Caro/Kuznetsova US Open match in 2009 according to matchstat.com were 1.86/1.92.

Last edited by Protoss : Sep 8th, 2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: corrected site address
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3884
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
I disagree, Last Year alot player have figure out how too beat Caro & she just can't keep waiting on her opponents to draw the error, she has too take her chances and go for her shots, you don't wins slams by waiting on errors. I not saying she should change her game all the way too a different style but there thing she can improve on that can help her when she in trouble or down in a match like her serve, adding a drop shot and getting better at the net, and her FH can get way better. I always said I like her too develop an kim clijsters game style an player who great at offense as well as Defense and movement, I also think she need too get over her fear and learn how too come inside the baseline more often when she have an chance beside staying behind and being push back & I still think she need too go back too Babolat racquet
I disagree. Those players only started to beat Caro once she changed her game post-Wimbledon. Before that her only really bad losses were against Hantuchova (at Roland Garros) and Petkovic (at Miami). And in both of those matches, she played HER GAME poorly. Also, I find it extremely unlikely that so many players on tour had this huge epiphany on how to beat Caro in such an extremely short period of time when only a few months earlier she was dominating non-slam events.

Then there's the issue of Aga Radwanska. Yes, she throws in a few slices and dropshots but she's not some masterful tactician. Her playing style is not drastically different from Caro's style from post-Wimbledon 2010 - Wimbledon 2011 (except Caro was a better player).
Novichok is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #3885
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, it's not just that Caro's level has dropped but the other top players have improved. Radwanska, Vika, Kvitova etc. didn't play as good as they do today when she had her hot streak, so just getting back to where she was wouldn't automatically mean that she would get back to the top.

Even if she would go back to her early 2011 level, I don't think it's enough to make it back to the Top 3, let alone the #1.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread