Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 258 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #3856
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

We are going to find out a lot about Caroline in the next year or 2.
I think she would still be in the top 3 if she didnt change her game.
But even with more errors, this game is mental, and if Caroline really wants a great career, not just a great year or so, she'll work for it and get it.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3857
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
But even with more errors, this game is mental, and if Caroline really wants a great career, not just a great year or so, she'll work for it and get it.
Yes,I could picture her staying in the Top 3....or no worse than #5....with no changes to her game,but it would've been the same brick wall over and over in Slam semis and finals: Caroline unable to finish off key points vs. an in-form player who didn't beat herself with an UE.Despite her drop,though,I still don't see anywhere near the level of disinterest as we've seen from others who drifted away from the sport

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #3858
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it's pretty unlikely that Caro would have stayed in the top 3. The 3 slam winners have done well/been fairly consistent outside the slams. Caro's consistent results were a big advantage in her being ranked ahead of the slam winners in the past.

I'm not sure if Caro would have been ranked ahead of Aga, Kvitova, or Kerber.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #3859
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if she makes a fairly sharp turnaround soon, I don't think the Top 3 is in the cards anytime soon. She'll have her work cut out to get back in the Top 5, that would mean getting past Kerber for example.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3860
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I think it's pretty unlikely that Caro would have stayed in the top 3. The 3 slam winners have done well/been fairly consistent outside the slams. Caro's consistent results were a big advantage in her being ranked ahead of the slam winners in the past.

I'm not sure if Caro would have been ranked ahead of Aga, Kvitova, or Kerber.
Maybe, but Aga hasnt done much since Wimbledon, & she was very lucky to beat Kirilenko there. Kirilenko was 2 points from winning and Radwanska hit the tape and it rolled over, or Maria would have had matchpoint.

I dont think Aga's last 12 months are as well played as Caro's 12 months before that, & Aga is still #3.

Even Vika, the #1, lost early at Miami, FO, didnt play after Wimbledon. Pulled out early in Rome. I think Caro's old form she'd be right there
But Caro's new form puts her nowhere near top 3, closer to Cibulkova, Kirilenko
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3861
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I'm taking the bait! IT WAS AN EASY DRAW!

Melanie Oudin (ranked seventieth) in the quarters and Yanina Wickmayer (ranked fiftieth) in the semis. You can't even admit that for a top ten player these are about as easy of an opponent as you are going to get that deep in a slam? marineblue, I challenge you to find me a player that had easier opponents that late in a slam.

Sure on paper Caroline defeating Svetlana was a minor upset but we are talking number eight versus number six, they were fairly evenly matched. After Roland Garros leading up to the U.S. Open Caroline was clearly posting better results than Svetlana and I would argue that based on form Caroline was the favourite in that match.
An obvious troll is obvious
Low ranking doesn't mean an easy opponent. Just the fact that they were able to make it that far shows they were playing well.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #3862
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
An obvious troll is obvious
I see you didn't refute my point. You just let me know when a player had easier opponents in the quarters and semis of a grand slam.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #3863
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree, the change of the approach was ill-advised. I think that she might have realised it by now, but it doesn't seem her coach did. The US Open was an example of what happens when she plays with a lot of risk and little patience or control.

Had she not changed her game she would be in top 3 and maybe looking for her third year-end no.1. But she did and sometimes, taking risks and listening to 'experts' is the worst thing one can do. It certainly did not work out for her so I guess that next season will be about her rebuilding her defensive style.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #3864
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Low ranking doesn't mean an easy opponent.
Err, yes, in general it does. Unless a player is recovering from injury there's a reason players are ranked low.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #3865
marineblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I see you didn't refute my point. You just let me know when a player had easier opponents in the quarters and semis of a grand slam.
You do not have any point to start with. I answered you in my previous post and see no point in wasting time with you anymore. Thanks for showing that you're not a real fan once again.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3866
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Quote:
You do not have any point to start with. I answered you in my previous post and see no point in wasting time with you anymore. Thanks for showing that you're not a real fan once again.
You didn't answer him at all, none of his points were addressed

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #3867
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Obviously you edited your post after I quoted you. I can't address a point that wasn't there when I first read the post.

I'll make this easier for you. Forget the word "easy" how about lower ranked? "Easy" you can argue with but rankings are inarguable facts. Can you give me an example of a player facing lower ranked players in the quarters and semis of a grand slam?

What is your definition of a "real fan?" After the year Caroline had she lost a lot of fairweather fans but I am still here.

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #3868
country flag DownInAHole

Here is Caroline's latest (re)tweet:
Quote:
In Denmark, the phrase "to have carpenters (in your head)" means "to have a hangover"
Deep. I'm going to have to try to remember that. Now, if I could just learn it in its original Danish form...

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3869
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

In German, the expression for that is "to have a male cat" .. and no, cats don't get drunk regularly here.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #3870
country flag CloudAtlas
Lamenting the days of peak SEWTA

CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute

We've had this debate many a time before, but just adding my two cents yet again Without wanting to resort to suppositions, I think it's highly likely that even without the draw falling apart that year Caro would have still made the USO final 2009. Safina, Sharapova, Dementieva and Peyrova were all highly unlikely to beat her considering how their following meetings went as well as taking into account the forms of the players in question and the type of player they all lost to.