Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 254 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2012, 07:20 AM   #3796
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Yes, the abrupt change of playing style was a very unfortunate decision. I think that if she applied new elements to her game gradually she'd avoid losses like this one. TJ in recent interview said that she must play aggressively. That doesn't sound to me like he is trying to apply gradual steps to change her game but rather wants her to change her style as such and very quickly. Not a great idea,IMO.

Although the results of this season have been OK she expected more. Hopefully she won't get down on herself too much and tries to turn things around in Asia.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 31st, 2012, 10:48 AM   #3797
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Why do so many of Caro's shots when defending land in the middle of the court and without depth?

One of the things I've wondered about is why Caro doesn't have a decent to solid slice (particularly 1-handed). It seems a bit odd that a player with a defensive game doesn't have one.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 11:01 AM   #3798
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

She has a relatively limited game overall. Maybe it is just due to the way the game is played today but she certainly does not have a lot of variety or options in her shots. She has had great success with her game in the past so on one level you can understand why she hasn't felt like she needed to add to or improve it but going forward I believe that will need to change. Just being a "wall" probably isn't going to be enough to get her back to where she was.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 03:16 PM   #3799
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
She has a relatively limited game overall. Maybe it is just due to the way the game is played today but she certainly does not have a lot of variety or options in her shots. She has had great success with her game in the past so on one level you can understand why she hasn't felt like she needed to add to or improve it but going forward I believe that will need to change. Just being a "wall" probably isn't going to be enough to get her back to where she was.
Yeah, she knew how to play with the skillset she had. She had limitations, but over the years she learned how to make the best of it. Keep the forehand steady with depth, go for more on the backhand side. She knew you didnt have to hit winners is you could vary your steady baseline game.

I thought since it works, stay with it and slowly improve your serve and forehand.
I never thought blowing up a #1 game was even a consideration.

Now she's in uncharted waters. She's never won being aggressive with her forehand, never been steady enough.
So we'll see how it goes. There's a good chance she's never a winning player with this style
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 03:38 PM   #3800
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Yeah, she knew how to play with the skillset she had. She had limitations, but over the years she learned how to make the best of it. Keep the forehand steady with depth, go for more on the backhand side. She knew you didnt have to hit winners is you could vary your steady baseline game.

I thought since it works, stay with it and slowly improve your serve and forehand.
I never thought blowing up a #1 game was even a consideration.

Now she's in uncharted waters. She's never won being aggressive with her forehand, never been steady enough.
So we'll see how it goes. There's a good chance she's never a winning player with this style
that the thing through she never improve while she was on top, and player figure out how too beat her beside, hitting out all the time, Her Serve and FH need improvement and she need too learn how too finish off rallies beside waiting for the error, her net skill could be better as well

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 12:57 PM   #3801
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

As many of you above have touched on,Caroline didn't make ANY visible adjustments while she was on top and doing well.Even when some other players learned how to attack her,she still waited too long to adjust....and THEN she started doing it too rashly,perhaps b/c she was too determined to not lose her high-ranked position,instead of gradually phasing in the changes.Instead of adding to what she did well,it was like she was trying to become a completely different player,and that was not a solid formula for success

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3802
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard to put an exact timeline because Caroline won 9 matches in a row exactly one year ago.
Won New Haven then a US Open semifinal.

After that, its a full year without a title, and her last 3 majors are unbelievably weak for a top player. But it wasnt all terrible. She had a good Miami, made a final at an Intl.
But a steep downward trend thats still going
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:19 AM   #3803
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah,I know there's a specific thread for such issues,but I think it says something about Caroline as a person that she's the sort of intelligent beauty who could serve as a major distraction to most guys and yet her bf has been doing better than ever since they began dating.Though I'm highly partial,I believe that speaks at least partly to Caro's character

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:39 AM   #3804
country flag jasminefu623

jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of

it seems that caro had leave the US
Andrew Henderson ‏@Freestyleandrew
Back at heathrow!! to tired right now. just saw Caroline Wozniaki former tennis world number one!
jasminefu623 is online now View My Blog!  
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:01 PM   #3805
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminefu623 View Post
it seems that caro had leave the US
Andrew Henderson ‏@Freestyleandrew
Back at heathrow!! to tired right now. just saw Caroline Wozniaki former tennis world number one!
I'm a bit surprised by this. I would have thought she'd stick around for the last round.

So what's she's doing in England? Just a stop on the way back to Monaco?
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #3806
country flag Protoss

With Bartoli making it to at least the quarters of the US Open, Caro's chances of finishing the year in the top 10 and being a YEC alternate drop quite a bit.

Here's the YEC race results after the 1st day of the 4th round. I'm counting only the "best 15" results so as to leave a spot for the mandatory Beijing tournament. The number after the "/" is how many points that player will have if they win their 4th round match today.

5 Kvitova: 5309
6 Kerber: 5165/5385
7 Li: 4152
8 Errani: 4130/4350
9 Stosur: 3570
10 Bartoli: 3285
11 Caro: 2875
12 Cibulkova: 2375
13 Kirilenko: 2339
14 Ivanovic: 2203/2423
15 Vinci: 2120/2340
16 Safarova: 2055
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM   #3807
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
With Bartoli making it to at least the quarters of the US Open, Caro's chances of finishing the year in the top 10 and being a YEC alternate drop quite a bit.

Here's the YEC race results after the 1st day of the 4th round. I'm counting only the "best 15" results so as to leave a spot for the mandatory Beijing tournament. The number after the "/" is how many points that player will have if they win their 4th round match today.

5 Kvitova: 5309
6 Kerber: 5165/5385
7 Li: 4152
8 Errani: 4130/4350
9 Stosur: 3570
10 Bartoli: 3285
11 Caro: 2875
12 Cibulkova: 2375
13 Kirilenko: 2339
14 Ivanovic: 2203/2423
15 Vinci: 2120/2340
16 Safarova: 2055
It could have been a little worse for Caroline if Kirilienko and/or Cibulkova had deeper runs.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:34 PM   #3808
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Conversation on twitter between Navratilova and some Caro fan

14KatieBm14
@Martina Whats your view on Caroline Wozniacki?? Do you think she is going to improve next year and be back with the top girls?

Martina
@14KatieBm14 most of all she needs to go back to what got her 2 the top in the 1st place- speed. She was a great mover&has lost that speed

14KatieBm14
@MartinaThanks. Shes my favourite player and I follow her all the time and it's really sad to see her struggling. I hope she comes back

Martina
@14KatieBm14me too. A really nice woman and a great role model for kids coming up...

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM   #3809
country flag Protoss

It's kind of surprising that Caro has won 67% (8/12) of her tiebreaks this year.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3810
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
Conversation on twitter between Navratilova and some Caro fan

14KatieBm14
@Martina Whats your view on Caroline Wozniacki?? Do you think she is going to improve next year and be back with the top girls?

Martina
@14KatieBm14 most of all she needs to go back to what got her 2 the top in the 1st place- speed. She was a great mover&has lost that speed

14KatieBm14
@MartinaThanks. Shes my favourite player and I follow her all the time and it's really sad to see her struggling. I hope she comes back

Martina
@14KatieBm14me too. A really nice woman and a great role model for kids coming up...
She's lost her speed? That's all?

... but in the big scheme of things, I despise most of these 'experts'.

A year ago they were unanimously drumming on about, how Caro needed to change her game. Team Wozniacki followed through and Caro's had a freaking disasterous 12 month.

Now the 'expert' tells Caro to go back how she played 12 month ago. Ok, Grandmatilove only mentions 'speed', but the mere comment about going back to 'what she had' ...

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread