Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 253 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #3781
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Hmmm. If that's indeed the case then I wonder if her 1st round loss at Wimbledon amped up her nerves for this US Open 1st round. If she's struggling with nerves going into the slams then a trip to a sports psychologist would seem a good idea.
Tennis Reporters is Matt Cronin's Twitter account .
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 29th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #3782
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
But shouldn't she have come to that realisation over a year ago when she lost early at Roland Garros and Wimbledon? What about the stunning losses to Vinci (Toronto) and McHale (Cincinnati)? If not then how about when she lost the number one ranking and quickly fell out of the top five? The somewhat worrying thing is that there have been flashing red lights regarding her career for well over a year now but her game doesn't appear to be getting any better.
The whole year, from talking about a mystery coach, to hiring Sanchez but not using him, to having no coach, to having a part time coach who never coached before...
The whole was arrogant nonsense. Including all the time on golf courses, and tweeting about valentine's day dinner, the night before she plays Safarova at a Premier 5.

Its about time she hires a full time coach and deicates herself to her career.
She's creating an absurd legacy, where she was #1 and decided to destroy her own game.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #3783
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

So with this loss is it fair to say that she has completely severed any connection to her time as number one? Making the semi-final last year was arguably her last significant achievement as number one and, as far as her ranking, that achievement is now gone. For me this underscores that the old Caroline is gone and that she is now a completely different and, for the moment, inferior player. Based on her results going back a year we can maybe expect a semi-deep run at the hardcourt slams and fairly early exits at Roland Garros and Wimbledon. As of right now she is definitely not a threat at the slams. At the other nine "big" events (mandatory four/premier five) she may make the odd semi but more often will go out at the quarters or earlier, the regular premier events are much the same. The only final she has a chance to make is at the international events. That is an astronomical fall when you consider that she held the number one ranking for over a year with only a single week where she dropped down to number two.

If you want to be optimistic you could say that things can't get any worse but people were saying the same thing after the shaky end she had in 2011 and things did indeed get much worse. I'm quite anxious to fastforward to the end of March, 2013 and see where her game is at. If she hasn't shown significant improvement gamewise and better results by then we could be in for another very rough year.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #3784
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Be that as it may, but I personally think, it's something we'll have to start considering.

I am not sure, Caroline will be satisfied becoming JJ or Bepa #2 and if those were indeed the available tennis career paths, perhaps an early retirement is a preference? ...

Moving up is extremely hard work, as - surprise surprise - everyone wants to move up. Moving down on the other hand, can happen rather swiftly and inside a year, all the nice cushion from previous successful weeks are gone.

In the 12 step programs, the populated view is, addicts need to hit rock bottom, before they're willing to change. Until they reach rock bottom, they'll remain in denial (Everything is fine. I am still top 10). Maybe the loss to Begu is Caroline's and Team Wozniacki's 'rock bottom'? Reading the comments from TJ, this was certainly not expected, so we can only conclude, the knee wasn't that big of a factor.

Well, I do agree with you that this is a "new" Caroline and that she is clearly not the player that she once was. However, you cited Jelena and Vera as possible career paths for Caroline. Both of those players are still on the tour and I don't believe that Caroline is any less dedicated than they are. She may never get back to number one, or even the top five. Maybe she will never win a slam or a "big" non slam tournament. The good thing is that we know she is very determined and a hard worker so she will at least try to get back to where she was and, hopefully, be even better.

I think it would be helpful for us all to completely divorce the current Caroline from the old Caroline. At least for now that player does not exist anymore and she is going to have to find a way to rebuild her game and her career. It can be done, we have seen Maria do it so there is some reason to believe that Caroline can do the same thing.

Old Aug 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #3785
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, I do agree with you that this is a "new" Caroline and that she is clearly not the player that she once was. ...

I think it would be helpful for us all to completely divorce the current Caroline from the old Caroline. At least for now that player does not exist anymore and she is going to have to find a way to rebuild her game and her career. It can be done, we have seen Maria do it so there is some reason to believe that Caroline can do the same thing.
I agree. Caroline is a player who is holding no titles and lost first round, Wimbledon & first round US Open.
Thats who she is now, and she has to try to build from there.
I think she needs a competent coach, someone who doesnt want to keep changing things and wants her to get back to winning matches.
But she has to decide what kind of coach she wants and if she wants her dad to dominate whatever coach she hires.
Its her career, and she threw away this year. But its only one year.

Old Aug 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #3786
country flag manixdk

manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of

Quote:
Absolutely. Look, she has the talent. And she has the shots. I really like the quote where Thomas J says if practice Caro played match Caro, she'd double bagel her. It's a mental thing. She was really flat mentally. I personally agree that, if it weren't for the knee injury, she would have won New Haven. She's in a fragile period right now, and the knee problem sort of broke her concentration.

In the match against Domi, Jo Durie remarked several times that Caro was hitting the ball really hard, and that Domi seemed to be surprised by it.

In this rebuilding period, we have to be patient. I just assume that Caro's team know a hell of a lot more about tennis than I do.

I know how important get a rhythm is, and now it's been wrecked. Time to build a new one.
manixdk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #3787
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

So what's Caro gonna do with her free time from this very early unexpected exit from the US Open? After the Wimbledon loss she went right away to go watch Rory golf. I really don't want a repeat of that.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #3788
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
So what's Caro gonna do with her free time from this very early unexpected exit from the US Open? After the Wimbledon loss she went right away to go watch Rory golf. I really don't want a repeat of that.
By all reports it appears that the knee injury is relatively minor but her first priority should be taking it easy and getting it fully healed. That is maybe the one small good thing to come from this early loss. She should now have ample time for her knee to heal and hopefully it will not be a factor when she plays her next tournament.

Other than that she has a lot of work to do and I would expect that is what she will spend her time doing.

Old Aug 30th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #3789
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

So is Caro playing Hopman Cup again next year?

It's a bit strange there being no Caro news nor Caro playing.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #3790
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So is Caro playing Hopman Cup again next year?

It's a bit strange there being no Caro news nor Caro playing.
I wouldn't bet on her playing Hopman Cup, wasn't the main reason this year to play with Freddie as they were having hopes to get an Olympics WC?

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #3791
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Next Year I think she should start the year off playing Brisbane International or ASB Classic she need a fulltime coach through I think she should try see if Carl Maes would coach her since Kim retire

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3792
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

I could see them play Hopman Cup again. Especially with Frederik Nielsen's Wimbledon triumph. They looked to have fun and it's semi serious and imho better than wasting time in Hong Kong.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3793
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw the score and that she had a straight sets 1st round exit - I assumed the knee must still be troubling . her.

Been a pretty miserable year. In fact it's no longer just not as good as 2010-2011. She was better back in 2008 when she was entering the stage and climbing the rankings. But how quickly time goes. It wasn't long ago that Kim, Caro and Vera were winning everything.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #3794
country flag goldenlox

Yeah, Caro, Kim and Vera were 1, 2, 3 late 2010, early 2011
Now they're all out of the top 10. And none are holding a title

I guess its a natural turnover, like Jankovic, Ivanovic, Safina doing well in 2008.

Very few can stay near the top over a long period of time

Old Aug 31st, 2012, 04:55 AM   #3795
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Yeah, Caro, Kim and Vera were 1, 2, 3 late 2010, early 2011
Now they're all out of the top 10. And none are holding a title

I guess its a natural turnover, like Jankovic, Ivanovic, Safina doing well in 2008.

Very few can stay near the top over a long period of time
There's nothing 'natural' about it if you're implying that it's inevitable.Though I'm sad to say it,Dinara was always fragile,even in her better days,so there's nothing remarkably odd about her descent.I'll spare posters here any long Ana discourse,and you can save yourself time by going to her forum where even long-term fans will tell you how pathetically immature and shallow she is...a NON-champion in every sense of the word.Kim was limited by plain-old injuries plus her desire for an abbreviated stretch due to her motherhood ambitions.As for Vera and JJ,one of them never reached the top,really,and the other had a brief cup of coffee there.Both had styles of play that forced them to be nearly perfect if they wanted to move from being in the Top 5 to actually challenging the legends,and we all know that it's hard to sustain that level of flawlessness over the long haul.Players can have fluke SEASONS just as there fluke victories;there are decent players who put forth an aberration where they score 20 goals and don't exceed 5 in any other season of their careers.In the same way,you not only have Ivanovic's 12-month fluke from Spring 2007 to Spring 2008...there was also that period from mid 2005 to mid 2006 when Petrova was beating everyone and rose to #3 in the world

What makes Caro different from the gals above...save for Kim who really IS a super player...is that she truly HAD the potential to keep it going and she did so much longer than some of the joke #1's who stood in stark contrast to stronger,more legit ones(I'm sorry,Dinarik).Of all posters,YOU should know cuz you discussed Caroline's struggles so much.Her problems stemmed largely from the facts that she waited too long to diversify her counterpuncher game(in the meantime,she lost some close matches at major events b/c she lacked that extra weapon to finish off key points vs. tough foes who wouldn't make an UE with the match on the line).When she finally decided to be more aggressive,she OVERcompensated by ballbashing and making a rash break from her previous style.Partly by not phasing in changes over a long period as she should have,she rarely felt comfortable with those bashing tendencies and she just couldn't adjust.

Caro will have the rest of THIS season plus the offseason to do some better planning;as you've hinted at often,it's gonna depend on Caro's attitude and fire more than it will her talent

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread