Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 224 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #3346
country flag poulao

poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Caro's won three 3 set matches in her last two tournaments with two of those wins coming from a set down. I don't think you do that if you don't care about winning.

I think to a certain extent a drop in results was inevitable. It's just too dificult to keep it going for a super long time. Beyond that I don't know. I don't think she's been more aggressive for the most part. Is it a drop in confidence, loss of focus, diminished hunger? I think only Caro can tell us (or a close member of her team) and she is pretty unlikely to tell us anytime soon. Perhaps she would say something about it after her career is over in a memoir.
Yes, that's about it IMO. Who knows? I don't believe in improvements from somebody with a 'I don't care', 'whatever' kind of attitude. Here is one sentence from her latest after match interview, 'but it wasn't enough'. She's saying that about her own game. So, I think that her atitude has improved slightly, she is trying, but confidence in own abilities is still low. So, I don't see Caro as a 'lost cause' at all, but if nothing happens soon, she might end up on the sled together with JJ.
poulao is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #3347
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Caro's won three 3 set matches in her last two tournaments with two of those wins coming from a set down. I don't think you do that if you don't care about winning.

I think to a certain extent a drop in results was inevitable. It's just too dificult to keep it going for a super long time. Beyond that I don't know. I don't think she's been more aggressive for the most part. Is it a drop in confidence, loss of focus, diminished hunger? I think only Caro can tell us (or a close member of her team) and she is pretty unlikely to tell us anytime soon. Perhaps she would say something about it after her career is over in a memoir.
I think a dropoff was inevitable, because she was worn down. But thats long past. This whole year has been its own level of tennis, thats well below what she was doing.
The question is: is this forever? And its hard to find any sign of the #1 player she used to be.
Now every early round match is a struggle, and she almost never gets out of the early rounds
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #3348
country flag poulao

poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future poulao has a brilliant future

I just hope that Caro can enjoys her stay in Cincy. If she wins a couple of matches, would be oh so very nice. It would be excellent, if one of them would be against Julia Gorgeous. That would make My day, for sure.
poulao is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #3349
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
True but it is somewhat encouraging that she managed to win against Lepchenko and Wozniak when she was not at her best. One of the big differences this year is that she is losing too many close matches to lower ranked opponents. These weren't the kind of one-sided wins we are used to seeing when she plays opponents like this but ultimately she did find a way to win.
Actually, the vast majority of her losses came against very good players. Caroline has 15 losses in 2012. There were two defeats against Serena, two others against Kerber (certainly one of the top player this year), one against Radwanska, Sharapova and Clijsters. And against Kvitova in Montreal. Which accounts for half of her losses.

The other players who defeated her are Goerges (hardly a surprise), Safarova (a top 30 player and Caroline had already lost against her in 2010), Kanepi (against whom she always has tough 3 setters), Ivanovic (hardly a lower ranked player, even if Caroline should win against her).

What's left? A heartbreaking defeat against Paszek, who played the match of her life. This match is seen as one of the best this year and Caroline was playing near her best tennis. Sometimes, your opponent is just better that day.

We also have a defeat against McHale, a top30 player this year and Caroline often struggle against good defensive player (Jankovic 2 years ago, Cibulkova (still an excellent counter-puncher, even if she morphed into a BBB), Zvonareva...).

And then we have a retirement against Medina Garrigues. I guess Caroline should have win some of those matches, but she's not losing a lot against lower ranked player. I have to add that most of thoses losses were 3 setters.

Actually, I'm not worried against whom she's losing. I'm more worried about how she loses her matches. All those unforced errors on routine shots, the way she leaves her opponent dictating the play, while she used to put some real pressure when she was at her best, with the depth of her shots, the placement of her ball and her pace. As already mentioned, her service was much more effective, her defensive game has regressed...Well, no wonder she loses all of her matches against the best players.

That being said, I know how her level of play can change drastically. Between the beginning of 2010 and the end of the year, she greatly improved her level, leading to her rise as number one. A year and a half later, she starts declining. It's certainly conceivable that she finds all her abilities again in the near future. The only thing we can do meanwhile, it's supporting her. She was out of the Top 10 when I became interested in her, and I will continue to be one of her fan whatever her ranking
Achernar is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #3350
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I was comparing Caro to Jankovic, because that seems to be where things are going.
I read Jankovic lost 1st round 14 of her last 24 tournaments.
Caro lost 6 times her 1st match, 4 times her 2nd match her last 22 tournaments.
Now Caro's been ranked higher, but thats dropping, and there will be fewer byes and tougher earlier round matches.
They both were in one final this year, an Int'l.

Jankovic played 1st round matches against Kim & Serena on grass this year.
Thats what happens as your ranking falls.

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #3351
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I was comparing Caro to Jankovic, because that seems to be where things are going.
I read Jankovic lost 1st round 14 of her last 24 tournaments.
Caro lost 6 times her 1st match, 4 times her 2nd match her last 22 tournaments.
Now Caro's been ranked higher, but thats dropping, and there will be fewer byes and tougher earlier round matches.
They both were in one final this year, an Int'l.

Jankovic played 1st round matches against Kim & Serena on grass this year.
Thats what happens as your ranking falls.
One of JJ's biggest problems this year has been losing to players she shouldn't. Here's a list of the % of her losses to players outside the top 30 who didn't finish the season inside the top 30. For 2012 I'm using the rankings as of this monday instead of the year end rankings. I'm not counting losses to Kim, Serena, Venus, and Davenport as non-top 30 losses. I didn't count a retirement to Yan in Bangkok in 2007 as a loss at all as they had split sets and no games were won in the 3rd set.

2012 59%
2011 22%
2010 30%
2009 37%
2008 11% (there's a zonal group Fed Cup loss to Cirstea not listed at wtatour.com which would make it 15%)
2007 8%
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3352
country flag goldenlox

Jankovic this year beat Kanepi & Mchale, who have 4 wins against Caro in the past year
When you line up their years, not that different(except for Miami) Both went to 4 semis this year, won 1 of them(an Intl).They met in 4th round of the AO. Some brutal tennis at the end of set 2. Awful shots.
But thats a good draw for both of them, R16 at a major you're playing someone whose games collapsing

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #3353
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Sesil Karatantcheva defeats Kiki Bertens 6-2, 6-1!
Is she a ballbasher, this Karatantcheva? Another tough match for Caro?

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #3354
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, Bertens kept up pretty well with Caro in their first set. Let's hope she just had a bad day here.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #3355
country flag goldenlox

Sesil was a true phenom. She & Vaidisova were at Bollettieri's together and Nick thought both would get to #1.
Sesil has a huge backhand. Had one at 14. Weak serve, decent forehand, monster backhand.
I hope thats streamed, I like watching Sesil.
She was the one who said she'd kick Sharapova's ass off. You can google that

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=174668

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #3356
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Oh dear, Bertens kept up pretty well with Caro in their first set. Let's hope she just had a bad day here.
Lepchenko, who Caro beat 6-4 in the 3rd set in Montreal, lost in the 1st round in Cincy to lucky loser Babos 7-6 (4) 6-4.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #3357
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Caro & Serena, Federer & Tsonga will play an exhibition match in Brazil, in December!

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #3358
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
Caro & Serena, Federer & Tsonga will play an exhibition match in Brazil, in December!
Sigh. This is not the offseason to be going around playing a bunch of exhibitions again or following someone around on the golf course for that matter.

Barring a large improvement in how things have gone for most of this season, Caro's gonna need some serious, hard core training in the offseason to try to get back near the top of the game.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #3359
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that was to be expected. Looks like she's still in demand for these kind of exhos which of course is a good thing, but it's nothing that brings her forward.

Given that she's most likely preparing in Dubai again that's quite the detour just for an exhibition.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #3360
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
That being said, I know how her level of play can change drastically. Between the beginning of 2010 and the end of the year, she greatly improved her level, leading to her rise as number one. A year and a half later, she starts declining. It's certainly conceivable that she finds all her abilities again in the near future. The only thing we can do meanwhile, it's supporting her. She was out of the Top 10 when I became interested in her, and I will continue to be one of her fan whatever her ranking
Not me. The second she drops out of the top ten I am out of here!

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread