Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 129 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 4th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #1921
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Really tough draw. But the trouble nowadays is that everywhere you look - there are players to be frightened of. There's the Germans and a host of other players that it ends up impossible for Caro not to have a draw that misses a player she's been losing to and frightens us. As soon as I think that - I feel I'm kind of admitting to myself that Caro is worse than even her fallen ranking would suggest.

So got to be positive. Come on Caro. Don't let us down. Let's see you make it to face Serena again. I'll think about that one if (or rather when) you get there.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #1922
country flag Double A

Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future

If Caro somehow manages to make it past the first 2 rounds, the match against Serena will be interesting.
She'll be looking to get revenge and she's pretty good at doing so. :P

I'm excited. I wanna see how Caro is adjusting her game, if she is..
Double A is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #1923
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Am impressed with the attitude I've seen her regarding Caroline's draw;it's such a sharp contrast from what goes on elsewhere.Indeed,only by beating the best can one establish...or RE-establish...herself as one of those best

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Temporary Destination 6: Another step towards what will , eventually, be the FINAL Destination
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #1924
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

wow, what a great draw!
Hope she can make it past the 2nd round!

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #1925
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Barthel/Goerges, Serena, Sharapova, Kvitova, Azarenka..........Starting with (IF she gets past Pervak) one of the best up and coming players and then the top four one after the other (let's face it, Serena IS top four). Winning a slam is a walk in the park compared to this. If there was a conspiracy among the powers that be to get Woz out of the top ten as soon as possible they couldn't have done a better job than this.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #1926
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

The fun thing is, she never had these kinds of draws when she was #1 and playing well and now that she's in a slump these opponents come her way. But yes, that's really intense, can anybody remember a slam winner that had to face this kind of competition for their run?

I think it's down to the fact that the Olympics are closing in and all top players are keen to play. We had a similar draw in Toronto (not for Caro but in general) last year, it fell apart with retirements though. This year, all the top players are keen to play and it makes for such tough draws.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #1927
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
can anybody remember a slam winner that had to face this kind of competition for their run?
Well, Li Na did beat the current top three Kvitova, Azarenka and Sharapova plus defending champ Schiavone to win her FO. They weren't the top three yet at that point of course but they were in the middle of the season that would put them in that position, so it comes pretty close.
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1928
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The fun thing is, she never had these kinds of draws when she was #1 and playing well and now that she's in a slump these opponents come her way. But yes, that's really intense, can anybody remember a slam winner that had to face this kind of competition for their run?

I think it's down to the fact that the Olympics are closing in and all top players are keen to play. We had a similar draw in Toronto (not for Caro but in general) last year, it fell apart with retirements though. This year, all the top players are keen to play and it makes for such tough draws.
Azarenka doesnt get these draws as #1.
Now Caroline is not top 4, so she's not the highest ranked player in her quarter.
So there's no easy quarter for her anymore.
Also if players like Goerges & Kerber are consistently beating you, there's no place to hide to any draw.
She has to start beating those players, and Safarova, Ivanovic, Vinci, Mchale, Pennetta. Those kinds of losses in Premiers will keep her out of the top 5
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #1929
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
She has to start beating those players, and Safarova, Ivanovic, Vinci, Mchale, Pennetta. Those kinds of losses in Premiers will keep her out of the top 5
Indeed. Top 5 isn't important, 5-8 as we know is treated equal in draws, but getting back into top 4 must be a priority. And loses to the players you list above is really not 'acceptable' nor conducive for a return to the top 4.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #1930
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Azarenka doesnt get these draws as #1.
Now Caroline is not top 4, so she's not the highest ranked player in her quarter.
So there's no easy quarter for her anymore.
Also if players like Goerges & Kerber are consistently beating you, there's no place to hide to any draw.
Once again totally agree with this. Particularly the part in bold.

The thing is - bad draws, good draws and luck is way over-stated. If Caro were to lose in the 2nd round (or heaven forbid in the 1st round) - her draw of who she'd have to face in her half if she'd won becomes irrelevant anyway. Tough draws and easier draws even out over time except the more players you lose to - the more every draw is tough and there's no such thing as an easy draw. Plus top players can lose early - completely changing how it looks.

So I don't even think about tough draws and easy draws nowadays. It's all about trying to get some wins and play well. Particularly wins against lower ranked opponents who have been beating her. When she was climbing the rankings - and this was during the years before before her incredible run at the top - she used to lose close and hard fought matches against opponents above her but usually beat players below her with ease. And the few times she did lose to them - she usually trounced them the next opportunity she got to play them again. So the important thing for me now is how is she going to respond to all these losses she's taking from players who are currently below her.

I'm dying to see her fight and reverse these. And get back to just being too difficult to beat and hearing players say "She's everywhere" and to where I didn't have to worry so much about players below her. Playing Serena should be seen as a reward if she can beat the players she should be beating.

Old May 5th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1931
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Once again totally agree with this. Particularly the part in bold.
I generally agree, I'm not sure Kerber belongs in that group anymore though. By the looks of it she's a future Top 4 player and of the girls that take Caro's spot away.

That's another big problem for her. It's not that she doesn't beat Kvitova, Vika, Aga & Sharapova anymore but there's girls coming up that are shaping up to challenge them.. and her along the way.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #1932
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the tour is changing. Since last year at Stuttgart, Petra, Vika, Maria and Aga have all improved.

But at the end of 2010, early 2011, Kim was healthy. Kim & Caro won everything above Tier 2 for 9 months. They had a 3 set YEC final.
If Caroline was still playing that level I think she would be a good match for the current top 4.

The worrisome part is that as other young players improved, she went backwards.
I hope she can get back to where she was, and be consistent there.
But so far, her level of play isnt there
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1933
country flag terjw

Quote:
Yeah, the tour is changing. Since last year at Stuttgart, Petra, Vika, Maria and Aga have all improved.

But at the end of 2010, early 2011, Kim was healthy. Kim & Caro won everything above Tier 2 for 9 months. They had a 3 set YEC final.
If Caroline was still playing that level I think she would be a good match for the current top 4.

The worrisome part is that as other young players improved, she went backwards.
I hope she can get back to where she was, and be consistent there.
But so far, her level of play isnt there
I would just love to be able to magically see a match between Caro at her peak and these top girls now. They've improved a lot and worked hard to do it. But some other top players when Caro was doing well are not in the reckoning now. I think the players playing when Caro was doing well are underrated.

Kerber is good too - but how many players have we seen do great for a few months and not sustain it any longer - players in all eras have been playing great for a couple of months or so but only a few sustain it over a long period of time.

But there's a fine line between looking "unbeatable" and being labelled a headcase and a choker - a criticism of the top players playing in Caro's heyday.

One example: That USO 09 match Sveta against Caro. Sveta was just brilliant for nearly two whole sets. If she's won in two sets - it would have been as good as anything the top four players today are playing and she would have beaten almost anyone else playing like that. Yeah I know it's woulda coulda stuff but Caro made it hard for players to beat her and they had to play at their best a whole match. And that was before Caro got to her best.

That's why I would love to know how Caro of yesteryear would have fared against the current top 4 and whether the standard today is really much better than it was. Or whether in reality some players are better, some players are worse / not playing.

Last edited by terjw : May 5th, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1934
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Caro can't catch a break these days, Liverpool is 0-2 down in the 2nd, they won't win the cup by the looks of it.

I actually have problems picturing her in a British pub boxed in with drunken and screaming Brits

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1935
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Caro can't catch a break these days, Liverpool is 0-2 down in the 2nd, they won't win the cup by the looks of it.

I actually have problems picturing her in a British pub boxed in with drunken and screaming Brits
2-1 for Chelsea. Poor Caro. Could have been 2-2 if that "was it over the line or wasn't it" goal had been allowed.
Closed Thread