Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 107 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #1591
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

So any comments on the match from Piotr or Groeneveld?
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #1592
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Anyone know how Caro prepares when about to face a lefty like Kerber (and Kvitova, Safarova etc.)? Mats Merkel doesn't play lefty as far as I recall.
If I had to guess, she'd try to practice with a lefty that was still in the tournament. If that didn't happen then I think she'd try to hit with a local lefty.

I doubt that Denmark has any decent leftys but Czink and Robson were in the singles draw. I think they were both long gone though from Denmark though (Robson mentioned in a tweet on the 13th that she was at the Copenhagen airport).
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #1593
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
If I had to guess, she'd try to practice with a lefty that was still in the tournament. If that didn't happen then I think she'd try to hit with a local lefty.

I doubt that Denmark has any decent leftys but Czink and Robson were in the singles draw. I think they were both long gone though from Denmark though (Robson mentioned in a tweet on the 13th that she was at the Copenhagen airport).
Was Kerber's left-handed status the reason why Caroline lost to her,though?Caro seemed to do okay LAST year vs. the German but,to be fair,she has improved since then

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #1594
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Was Kerber's left-handed status the reason why Caroline lost to her,though?Caro seemed to do okay LAST year vs. the German but,to be fair,she has improved since then
She has improved, has more confidence because she has improved, had no pressure on her because Caroline was the favorite and has both good offence and good defence, so I always expected that it would be a difficult match for Woz. But there are times in virtually every Kerber match when she goes walkabout for a couple of games and I had hoped that Caro would have been able to take advantage of that. Unfortunately she couldn't and it was Kerber who took advantage of a drop in level from Woz.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #1595
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
If it weren't for the Caro slump issues,you'd probably like him;he seems to be a dorky,fairly-down-to-earth fellow compared to other athletes who have been ranked #1 in their sport.

Just remember that Caro is far,far from complete suck-dom so we're a hell of a lot better off than those poor hopeless Vaidisova fans.....
Rory seems like a good guy, so he has my seal of approval. Caroline is a young woman and it would be very unfair of us to expect her not to have a love life until she's 32 and done with playing tennis. But yeah, it would be a pity if she would retire prematurely to put a host of little McIlroy's on the planet instead of playing tennis. I don't think that's very likely to happen though because Caroline is a sports nut and loves tennis too much to retire before she's done. I have no idea what she's capable of achieving or if she will ever win a slam, but I don't think that she'll be one who fifty years from now will be sitting in her rocking chair wondering about what could have been "if only", because she'll give it her all for as long as she can.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #1596
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Well, I'm bringing my camera gear and it is kind of heavy...I could just hit him with it I guess
I hope Rory has extra security, cause clearly he's in danger here.

I didn't get to see one match this week so I can't actually assess her play. She better be right about her ankle being okay.

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1597
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFox View Post
I didn't get to see one match this week so I can't actually assess her play. She better be right about her ankle being okay.
I only watched the last two matches but I think it is tough to evaluate her level due to the calibre of her opposition, she had a fairly easy path to the final.

In the final she was broken at 4-4 in both sets so she still needs to do better near the end of sets when things are close. In the first set she was up 3-2 0-40 on Kerber's serve but she could not break and she was up 4-1 in the second set and then lost five consecutive games. She definitely had her chances in both sets but she ended up collapsing, particularly in the second. She was 4/14 on her break points.

I'm going to go back in the corner now and continue gently sobbing.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #1598
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So any comments on the match from Piotr or Groeneveld?
Not a comment but Piotr had an...interesting...look on his face during the trophy presentation. Shock mixed with something else.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #1599
country flag manixdk

manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of

Quote:
I meant to ask this earlier but how was Caro's returning of Martic's big 1st serve?
I think that's what sort of sucked the air out of Martic. At the beginning of the match, the first serve she hit over 180 she got right back hard. The second serve was 186 (I kept a chart) and she got that back hard right up the middle. I was sitting about 10 meters from her, and she was just shaking her head. She DF'd the next time. I guess she realised she couldn't just rely on pace, but actually had to place the serve.
manixdk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1600
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Not a comment but Piotr had an...interesting...look on his face during the trophy presentation. Shock mixed with something else.
Hm, I didn't see that. What do you think that something else was?

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #1601
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Losing after leading 4-1 in set 2, is a recurring theme with Caroline.
She blows leads all the time now.
Radwanska, Safarova, could have won, but lost.
Sharapova, up a set, lost
Goerges and Kerber, down a set but serving *4-2 and couldnt get to a tiebreak in either 2nd set.

Caroline has to focus better had compete well all match. She's folding match after match. And her ranking is still supported by good results from 10,11 months ago, that she probably wont defend with all the choking she's doing.

Thats what it is, its choking. She is not playing well at key moments. She caves in when its pressure time, and keeps doing it every tournament
She just lost the last 5 games from 46 41. Thats crappy tennis at any level. This wasnt against an inform Henin or Williams
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #1602
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
She has improved, has more confidence because she has improved, had no pressure on her because Caroline was the favorite and has both good offence and good defence, so I always expected that it would be a difficult match for Woz. But there are times in virtually every Kerber match when she goes walkabout for a couple of games and I had hoped that Caro would have been able to take advantage of that. Unfortunately she couldn't and it was Kerber who took advantage of a drop in level from Woz.
Caro doesn't seem to be doing well against good defenders. She lost to Aga, lost two in a row to Zvonareva, lost to McHale and Caro's win against her was more difficult than it should be (see Aga and JJ's scores against McHale), and now this loss to Kerber.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #1603
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Losing after leading 4-1 in set 2, is a recurring theme with Caroline.
She blows leads all the time now.
Radwanska, Safarova, could have won, but lost.
Sharapova, up a set, lost
Goerges and Kerber, down a set but serving *4-2 and couldnt get to a tiebreak in either 2nd set.

Caroline has to focus better had compete well all match. She's folding match after match. And her ranking is still supported by good results from 10,11 months ago, that she probably wont defend with all the choking she's doing.

Thats what it is, its choking. She is not playing well at key moments. She caves in when its pressure time, and keeps doing it every tournament
She just lost the last 5 games from 46 41. Thats crappy tennis at any level. This wasnt against an inform Henin or Williams
I think Caro has now lost 6 sets from up 3-0, 3-1, or greater (up a break and a 2 game lead in the set) since Toronto of last year. I think she lost 2 sets with such a lead from 2010 Copenhagen through 2011 Indian Wells (3 sets through 2011 Wimbledon).

Caro is currently 6th in the YEC race and in the rankings. Serena and Kim are behind Caro in the YEC race and rankings while Kvitova is only behind in the YEC race.

There's a 145 point difference between #6 in the YEC race and #4 Bartoli (who's played 1 more tournament than Caro).
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #1604
country flag CloudAtlas
Lamenting the days of peak SEWTA

CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Caro doesn't seem to be doing well against good defenders. She lost to Aga, lost two in a row to Zvonareva, lost to McHale and Caro's win against her was more difficult than it should be (see Aga and JJ's scores against McHale), and now this loss to Kerber.

Without wanting to be accused of adopting a GM-esque attitude I think it's safe for us Woz fans to admit that on a normal day a large part of Woz's game is based on feeding off her opponents errors whether forced or unforced. When those are in short supply because the person is a good defender it's almost always disadvantageous for Caro , because unfortunately there are very few players on tour less willing to take the initiative than Woz and it becomes as issue of good but passive defender (Woz) vs good defender who goes for their shots and 8/10 times the latter will prevail because of that advantage.

Having said that, I don't think she has necessarily done that badly against the players that you mentioned. She had considerable leads against Angelique in both sets yesterday (3-2* 0-40 on Kerber's serve in 1st set, 4-1 in 2nd set) and that match against Radwanska was slightly skewed as Woz was clearly struggling with some sort of ailment evidenced by the way she tanked that last game. McHale is a different issue as I felt she played one of the worst matches of her career against McHale in Cincinnati (forehand errors galore and then some) and she still beat her the following week in staight sets.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #1605
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I think her matches against Aga show she can play other defenders well.
You dont get to be #1 for 67 weeks unless you can handle all types of games.
From what I'm seeing the current plan on playing Caroline is to be patient and wait for her short balls to attack.

Caroline has to watch her losses and look at why these matches unravel from a winning position & figure out how to handle these situations.

But its not easy to turn things around and this current situation has been going since the last Wimbledon, when Caroline lost from up a set to a noncontender. Caroline was also up a break in the 3rd that match.
Then after Bastad, Vinci, Mchale matches were more of what is still her situation. A lot of close sets lost, a lot of leads lost.
No titles in 11 tournaments with this her only final.
One other final in her last 16 tournaments against a very tired Cetkovska. Thats now Caroline's only title in 10 months
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread