What should be the WTA Finals Doubles Format? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What should be the WTA Finals doubles format??

Knock-Out Rounds with final set super tiebreak, just like as it is now in 2014 2 12.50%
Knock-Out Rounds without final set super tiebreak, just like at Slams 3 18.75%
Round Robin Format with final set super tiebreak, more interesting but not as time-consuming 7 43.75%
Round Robin Format without final set super tiebreak, because why not 4 25.00%
Other format (elaborate) 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 10:11 PM   #1
country flag Z1988

Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of
What should be the WTA Finals Doubles Format?

I have to say the WTA Finals has been improving this year in the doubles department by having eight teams to qualify rather than the "usual" four.

However, the current format they implement for this event is a simple knock-out round with ad and final set super-tiebreak. Do you think this is the best format for this event? Or should it also follow the singles format with round robin rounds?

One of the "disadvantage" of having a round robin format would be scheduling since it means more matches are needed for doubles, while now the WTA Finals also includes legends, rising stars, and future stars events. Hence a round robin format would create more difficulty (and less flexibility) in the scheduling.

Discuss.
Z1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 24th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #2
country flag canonwong

canonwong is a splendid one to behold canonwong is a splendid one to behold canonwong is a splendid one to behold canonwong is a splendid one to behold canonwong is a splendid one to behold canonwong is a splendid one to behold canonwong is a splendid one to behold canonwong is a splendid one to behold canonwong is a splendid one to behold canonwong is a splendid one to behold canonwong is a splendid one to behold
Re: What should be the WTA Finals Doubles Format?

If mens can do the RR format so can women.
canonwong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #3
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute

With Moscow ending on Friday in 2015, they are able to do RR for doubles... but is WTA going to do so?
coolfish1103 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #4
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

8 team round robin please.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #5
country flag nevetssllim
Stanning for Andi

nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute

An eight-team round-robin with conventional scoring would be preferable but I would be just as happy with a round-robin format with the scoring system they're using in Singapore this year. While I abhor no-ad scoring, I do quite enjoy match tiebreaks.

You would think the WTA would be looking to give doubles a bit more exposure. They're forging new territory in Asia and apart from Li Na, most of the success in Asian tennis has come in the doubles.

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"
nevetssllim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 08:39 AM   #6
country flag kitasss_vlc

kitasss_vlc has much to be proud of kitasss_vlc has much to be proud of kitasss_vlc has much to be proud of kitasss_vlc has much to be proud of kitasss_vlc has much to be proud of kitasss_vlc has much to be proud of kitasss_vlc has much to be proud of kitasss_vlc has much to be proud of kitasss_vlc has much to be proud of kitasss_vlc has much to be proud of kitasss_vlc has much to be proud of

8 teams. Round Robin. With ad. No final set tie-break. Thanks.
kitasss_vlc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #7
country flag Z1988

Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of

My other problem with the knock out system is that the losers of the QF automatically get like 430 points or something just by playing one match . While it certainly is better than the 690 points for the SF losers in the previous system, I still think it is too much of points "won" by losing a match . I mean, it is almost as much as winning a Premier title!
Z1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #8
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

knock out is fine but it should be a normal match with ad and no super tiebreak...
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote