AO Poll: Graf the Female Greatest of All Time - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Greatest Female of All Time?

Margaret Court 9 4.52%
Serena Williams 33 16.58%
Martina Navratilova 42 21.11%
Steffi Graf 106 53.27%
Other 9 4.52%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 25th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #1
country flag bobbynorwich

bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future
AO Poll: Graf the Female Greatest of All Time

Today's AO website reports results of its online poll regarding the female GOAT: Graf 1st, Navratilova 2nd, S. Williams 3rd, Court 4th. Do you agree or disagree with these rankings?
With one of the most sublime forehands and among the speediest players to have picked up a racquet, the steely German Steffi Graf thrilled spectators and dominated her rivals like few others in the 1980s and `90s.

She may have finished two major titles shy of Margaret Court’s seemingly insurmountable record of 24 Grand Slam singles crowns, but australianopen.com fans have voted her as the greatest women’s player of all time.

Graf garnered more than 3500 votes to finish with a whopping 43 per cent of the vote as the greatest women’s player, well clear of her former rival Martina Navratilova, who came in second with 2390 votes (29 per cent).

The pair finished overwhelmingly ahead of the pack with Serena Williams coming in third (8.2 per cent) and Court fourth (5.6 per cent).

Graf topped the rankings for a record 337 weeks and remains the only player to have clinched the four Grand Slams four times each. In 1988 she completed a calendar year Golden Grand Slam – winning all four majors in the same year and an Olympic gold medal.

Arguably Graf’s greatest rival has been voted second in the australianopen.com poll. Navratilova, with 18 Slam titles to her name, including nine at the All England Club, holds the record for most number of tour singles titles at 167. Her longevity competing at the highest level remains unmatched.

Interestingly, after both Graf and Navratilova had called time on their illustrious careers, their head-to-head record finished level at 9-9, although the German won four of their six Grand Slam singles finals.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...373295547.html

Last edited by bobbynorwich : Jan 25th, 2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: .
bobbynorwich is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #2
country flag Queenpova

Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AO Poll: Graf the Female Greatest of All Time

1. Graf
2. Alexandra stevenson
Queenpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #3
country flag GrafMariaPetraK
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of

I agree
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #4
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

No Peak Pierce?
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #5
country flag Anabelcroft

Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynorwich View Post
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #6
country flag Anabelcroft

Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future

Online poll results:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...poll/day8.html
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #7
country flag Steven.

Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute

Graf the greatest of all time? No. Greatest singles player of all time? Yes.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #8
country flag Anabelcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven. View Post
Graf the greatest of all time? No. Greatest singles player of all time? Yes.
Have to agree they missed out the word "singles"...
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #9
country flag RCCA

RCCA is just really nice RCCA is just really nice RCCA is just really nice RCCA is just really nice RCCA is just really nice RCCA is just really nice RCCA is just really nice RCCA is just really nice RCCA is just really nice RCCA is just really nice RCCA is just really nice

Greatest female of all time huh. It is tough to decide among Florence Nightingale, Susan B. Anthony, and Rosa Parks. But my choices undoubtedly reflect my parochialism. I think that in the end it is subjective and too close to call. We are lucky to have seen such great ones.
RCCA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #10
country flag duhcity
yaaaas jaja u play soooo good

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

Singles.
But even then, in terms of what? Peak Game, influence, overall tour consistency, achievements?

tweetweet
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #11
country flag mauresmofan

mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony. View Post
Singles.
But even then, in terms of what? Peak Game, influence, overall tour consistency, achievements?
I think just overall player, she had a huge advantage over anyone else given her immense speed and tremendous work ethic which allowed her to become as brilliant as she was.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #12
carling

carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree. Steffi won each one of the grand slams at least four times. She is also the last player, male or female, to win the calendar year grand slam (1988). Steffi also won the Olympic gold medal that year.

I always preferred Monica Seles over Steffi Graf, but Steffi's record speaks for itself. I know there are those who look at Steffi's record and think about 'what might have been' had Monica not been stabbed, but that argument is largely irrelevant. Life is not fair, nor is Steffi to blame for the incident. Steffi won each and every tournament fair and square. Kudos to her.

Last edited by carling : Jan 26th, 2012 at 02:24 AM.
carling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #13
country flag Anabelcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by carling View Post
Steffi's record speaks for itself.
So true...
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #14
country flag DemWilliamsGulls

DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute

I respect Graffs accomplishments, but her level of tennis is no where near the level of Serena. The level of the game back in her day was not as strong as it is today. Qualifiers now could probably win slams during her days. When you speak of pure athleticism, I've never seen graff crack serves as fast, move as fast on the court, hit powerful ground strokes and have the mental toughness of Serena. My vote goes to Serena hands down!
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #15
country flag hingisGOAT

hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Ridiculous that Evert isn't even top 4. If she gave a DAMN about the Australian Open early in her career, and actually played it, she would probably be the undisputed GOAT
In tennis history, no top player has suffered more beat-downs in big matches than Vulturepova T1 R16 2-6 1-6 AM | T1 SF0-6 0-6 LD | T1 F 3-6 1-6 MH | AO F 1-6 2-6 SW | T1 R16 1-6 1-6 SW | RG SF 1-6 1-6 AI | Wimbledon SF 2-6 2-6 VW | T1 QF 2-6 2-6 VW | T1 F 4-6 1-6 VA | T1 QF 1-6 3-6 SW | T1 F 1-6 4-6 VA | T1 SF 1-6 2-6 Woz | AO F 3-6 0-6 VA | T1 F 2-6 3-6 VA | T1 QF 1-6 3-6 SW | Olympics F 0-6 1-6 SW | T1 F 3-6 1-6 VA
hingisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote