Happy 84th Birthday, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 01:57 AM   #31
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Happy 84th Birthday, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I am not sure how this works in West, but in Russia it is considered to be very dumb, making zero sense and very poor taste to give "Happy birthday" congratulations to dead people.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 02:20 AM   #32
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Last I checked, this isn't Russia.

Hug an SDS sufferer, today.
JN is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM   #33
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post

Dr. Martin Luther King addresses a crowd on 48th and State during his
series of street corner rallies in Chicago.

Dr. King, Mayor Richard J. Daley, and singer extraordinaire Mahalia Jackson
stop for a photo-op before a civil rights benefit concert in Chicago.

July 1965, Dr. King and supporters form a human chain and march to City
Hall to ask then Mayor Richard J. Daley to address housing discrimination in
Chicago.
Love the photos and the memories.
Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 01:36 AM   #34
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
Love the photos and the memories.
My uncle Mickey (Wayman Kelly, RIP) was Mahalia Jackson's official hairdresser whenever she was in Chicago, as well as Billie Holiday's and Ella Fitzgerald's. He studied under and was an instructor in Madame C.J. Walker's School of Black Hair Care. #RealBlackHistory

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 10:33 PM   #35
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post
I am not sure how this works in West, but in Russia it is considered to be very dumb, making zero sense and very poor taste to give "Happy birthday" congratulations to dead people.
Well, I'm sure you know that different countries/cultures do things differently. Better to mark the day his life started, than the day his life ended.

I'm not sure if men like Mr. King exist anymore and if they do, they aren't heard enough. So days to remember him and others like him are most definitely needed.

It's not long until the anniversary of Coretta's death too

For anyone who's interested, I remember reading an article about the influence Daniel O'Connell's life had on Martin Luther King Jnr, although it was a fairly minor influence, I believe.

Also, the civil rights movement in Northern Ireland consciously modelled their efforts on the African-American movement.

Anyway, nice thread, JN. It makes a nice read and the images are lovely.
I was so busy this evening but it's nice to take a moment to remember the great people who have come before us and provided so much to so many, even things we sometimes take for granted. I wish the MLK memorial had been open when I visited Washington DC back in '06.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 11:44 PM   #36
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My uncle Mickey (Wayman Kelly, RIP) was Mahalia Jackson's official hairdresser whenever she was in Chicago, as well as Billie Holiday's and Ella Fitzgerald's. He studied under and was an instructor in Madame C.J. Walker's School of Black Hair Care. #RealBlackHistory
WOW Madame C.J. Walker now that's big time. He must have been a bad man.
Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #37
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is that how you came up with Aquanet?
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #38
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am going to call your bluff and say that you are just making that up.

What is more in poor taste? Celebrating Lenin and Stalin birthdays, or adding the word "congratulation" to a civil right brithday celebration thread.
These 2 kill millions of Russians and Georgians

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Jan 24th, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #39
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #40
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #41
country flag Onslow

Onslow has a brilliant future Onslow has a brilliant future Onslow has a brilliant future Onslow has a brilliant future Onslow has a brilliant future Onslow has a brilliant future Onslow has a brilliant future Onslow has a brilliant future Onslow has a brilliant future Onslow has a brilliant future Onslow has a brilliant future

Quote:
but in russia prosecuting a dead person is not dumb?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/wo...thumously.html

MOSCOW — The police in Russia plan to resubmit for trial a tax evasion case in which the primary defendant died in detention more than two years ago, his former employer said Tuesday.
Onslow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #42
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

^

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #43
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dr. King with one of his many Jewish supporters.