Did the WTA airbrush Barthel's face? - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #121
country flag The80sMoviesFan

The80sMoviesFan is a splendid one to behold The80sMoviesFan is a splendid one to behold The80sMoviesFan is a splendid one to behold The80sMoviesFan is a splendid one to behold The80sMoviesFan is a splendid one to behold The80sMoviesFan is a splendid one to behold The80sMoviesFan is a splendid one to behold The80sMoviesFan is a splendid one to behold The80sMoviesFan is a splendid one to behold The80sMoviesFan is a splendid one to behold The80sMoviesFan is a splendid one to behold
Re: Did the WTA airbrush Barthel's face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon charles View Post
This, honestly. It's kind of upsetting how people don't realize that a condition like hers is not easily cureable, it is not the same as the acne many people have in their teenage years. And do you really think she has not visited a doctor about this? I am 110% sure she has done so many times, but getting rid of this isn't that easy.

Having had a similar (albeit less severe) case of cystic acne in my teenage years, which I, too, cured using Isotetrinoin, I can confirm that this is the only way to reliably cure this. I went through several different medications but Isotetrinoin is the only one that did anything at all, all others were pointless. And as pro athlete, you cannot justify taking this medications, there are too many bad side effects that would make you unable to play - even the minor ones like increased vulnurability to sun and the tendency to sun burn very fast would make it impossible for her to continue her tennis career for 6-12 months, a career suicide. There are more severe side effects as well that I won't bother adressing here (http://www.drugs.com/accutane.html) but in the end it is quite obvious that Mona can't do anything about this, even if she wants to.

I find it quite admirable honestly, a lot of people derive major confidence issues from a skin condition such as this, but Mona chose her tennis career over a chance of being cured, she chose a job in which everyone's eyes are on her and everyone will undoubtedly notice her condition and make disgusting comments about it, and yet she gives off the aura of a confident young woman, not being bothered much by he appearance. More people should be like her, less people should be as pathetic of some of the posters here.

PS: It did leave some minor scarring for me, really depends on a case by case basis. Nothing one can do about that.
Excellent post...
The80sMoviesFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #122
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

her acne is even worse live.i mean, its really impressive...

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #123
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleckes View Post
Some people in this thread point out that they photoshop every picture, most of the time to get rid of some pimples on some player's forehead. But it's a complete another ballgame here with Mona because they basicially airbrushed her whole face! In the first case it's not that bad because in most of the cases the pimples aren't permanent and evoperate with time, and the comparison to make up is a good one. But with Mona it is unfortunately permanent, at least for the foreseeable future! It's how she looks like. And what is WTA going to do? From here on out airbrush all of her pics so she looks like she has clear skin? For me it's almost as if some player had just one ear but on the WTA website they would show her with 2 ears. Minor photoshopping is a given today but this is going way too far. If someone looks at the airbrushed Mona and then watches her live and is taken by surprise how she looks like you know it went way too far. And that clearly the case here
very good post. retouching a pimple or a spot is one thing but "blurring" a whole face like they did with mona is sending a very unsettling message. just imagine how barthel feels when she sees that image on the WTA site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombrerero loco View Post
her acne is even worse live.i mean, its really impressive...
a new low, even for your ubiquitously worrisome standard.

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #124
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Any dermatologists around here???

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Golden Flowers - Stosur - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #125
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
but you prove his point. he wouldn't be looking at pics of tennis players like mona unless he had an intrest in tennis and like the sport (i.e the product).

for instance i think david beckham is hot, but i aint sitting through a LA Galaxy match or buying a ticket to see him play, as i just don't like football that much. the only thing pretty girls do unless in the league of kourikova is get a few more hits on google search, they don't sell more tickets.

people aren't going to watch tennis or go to tournament because of some hot chick or dude, they will go because they have a liking for tennis.
the product of tennis is what will always be the main reason people watch or don't, you only need to look at someone like henin to see that it is the tennis that matters and makes you watchable if you can produce great displays of it.

the wta always misses a trick by not promoting the hard work of players, the back stories and players as normal girls not glammed up celebs. i dislike vika, but the most i have ever warmed to her is the documentary that the tennis channel did on her where it showed her life and backstory and the passion she must have for tennis.
Agreed. We've been through this 784643 times before, and it's fairly obvious that the notion that there's a bunch of pervs who will watch tennis matches just to ogle at the hotties is completely misguided, and any marketing plan based on such a dowright wrong assumption can only be a miserable failure.

But off the mark, since the WTA's objective in this case isn't to sell additional tickets or to get larger TV audiences directly. The objective of glamming up players for their PAs, to get them to attend high profile parties, do fashion shows and/or photoshoots of questionable taste, is to get coverage on the general/mainstream (in the sense of non-sports) media, particularly in the gossip/showbiz/entertainment/celebrity sections, which is what everyone looks at. And the only way to achieve that is to make celebrities out of the players, or at least have them act like celebrities.

Eu Jogo Ténis

Prokofiev + Son Goku = pwnage
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #126
country flag Drake1980

Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #127
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

They are doing something right in terms of chasing sponsorship $$$.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #128
country flag Just Do It

Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute

God. Interesting how no one gave a fuck about her face when she was playing 25k's, now, she won a WTA tournament and all of a sudden everyone is concerned about her acne
Just Do It is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #129
country flag JustPetko

JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktymise View Post
Mona should be commended for choosing a professional tennis career over getting rid of her acne. Of course people are going to talk about it if she is in such a public domain, but as long as she doesn't give a shit about it, then why should we?

The WTA is still deluded into thinking that sex is its biggest, and perhaps only, selling point. Whereas, someone like Mona, who seems like an intelligent, balanced and seemingly nice person, is a much bigger asset to the tour than mean-spirited douches like Dickmayer will ever be.
This comment should end all that discussion

TT Singles: (CH: #40) W ITF Biella'10, W ITF Nantes'10, W ITF Dubai'12 | TT Doubles: (CH: #1) ITF Nantes'10, ITF Bucharest'10, Marbella'11, Washington'11, Linz'11, YEC'11, ITF Opole'11, Pattaya'12, Tashkent'12, ITF Pune'12, Memphis'13, Carlsbad'13, Marrakesh'14, Washington'14 | Suicide: (CH: #5) W Luxembourg'12, W Luxembourg'13 | Tipping: (CH: #2) W YEC'11, W Acapulco'13, W Brisbane'14, W RG'14
JustPetko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #130
country flag davidmario

davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It View Post
God. Interesting how no one gave a fuck about her face when she was playing 25k's, now, she won a WTA tournament and all of a sudden everyone is concerned about her acne
It's not that we care about her acne. It's the fact that the WTA cares about her acne by airbrushing her entire face just after winning her first WTA title in which she put so much effort in after going through all these ITFs.
davidmario is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #131
country flag frenchie

frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute

Juvederm

Radwanska - S. Williams - V. Williams - Kerber
frenchie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #132
country flag the jamierbelyea
I did it for the aesthetics.

the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute

Case in point is they airbrush all the photos that become the feature story on the WTA page. Her picture for the semifinal article is not airbrushed. This glamour girl acne free Mona Barthel everyone thinks the WTA is trying to create is just an overreaction.

If Mona's acne was less severe you wouldn't have even noticed. This bleeding heart mind set is really exhausting in my opinion.
the jamierbelyea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #133
LoLex
What did she say? - She said: "I will kill you" :o

LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTennisFan View Post
If you all were talking about an oral pill then it is different. That would have to be some hellacious acne to require oral retnoic acid. I have been talking about the topical, not an oral dose. I wouldnt personally touch the oral because it personally doesnt make much sense to me. No point in taking something orally to be absorbed into the bloodstream when you can appy topical directly to the skin and have it concentrated at the site of breakout. All vitamin A type ingredients (retinol, etc) very easily absorb into the skin thanks to their small molecular size.
We are talking about the facts, not about your feelings. Isotretinoin is the main drug in treating severe acne cases and it can be taken only orally. If you are talking about the medications you can put directly to the skin, we use clindamycin and erythromycin for treating chronic types of acne. Creams that contains retinol are usually used as add-on treatment.
LoLex is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #134
country flag USA4theWIN

USA4theWIN USA4theWIN USA4theWIN USA4theWIN USA4theWIN USA4theWIN USA4theWIN USA4theWIN USA4theWIN USA4theWIN USA4theWIN

Must have done it to Sharapova. THAT would be a favour.
As for this poor girl, obviously it's not.
USA4theWIN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #135
country flag earthcrystal

earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future

NO ONE here knows the story behind this (if the photo's truly been manipulated) and the assumptions and recriminations really seem to me to be over the top.

Seriously people. We've got a major starting in a couple of hours, and this is what you're talking about? Oh, well, it's your time...
earthcrystal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote