Did the WTA airbrush Barthel's face? - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 5th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #166
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did the WTA airbrush Barthel's face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju Nostalgique View Post
The problem isn't the WTA photoshopping it. The problem is WE PEOPLE who see a picture of Mona or any other person with acne and think what we think. Unfortunately this is the society we're living in and it's not looking good.

If they do the Photoshop job is beacuse they know people won't be as "disturbed". Sad but true.
So right.

Mona could be such a rolemodel if she wins many titles and speaks up against it. To me this is just another form of discrimination.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 5th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #167
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsi View Post
I don't know what she thinks, she could either like them doing it or not doing it. If I was Mona, I wouldn't like it.

And you went too far when you said about the WTA caring...they couldn't care less about Mona or any other player and are only doing the photoshopping for VERY superficial reasons.
All of this.

The fact that they are doing it shows that they think that it's a big issue. And it shows how clueless the WTA still is, since who the fuck is watching the WTA for all the irresistible babes that we see on our TV screens every other week?

Mona's tennis speaks for itself.
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #168
country flag vixter

vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
So right.

Mona could be such a rolemodel if she wins many titles and speaks up against it. To me this is just another form of discrimination.
It has nothing to do with discrimination.

Aren't the photos copyright of the photographer and he/she has the right to edit them see fit? I don't think this is anything to be outraged about. It is not Mona herself being edited away, it's the acne, a separate entity.

Tennis-fan since 2001 Serena-fan since 2001
Don't hate the player hate the game. I dislike noone. Not even Sharapova.
vixter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #169
country flag Jimmie48
Don't stop me now!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixter View Post
It has nothing to do with discrimination.

Aren't the photos copyright of the photographer and he/she has the right to edit them see fit? I don't think this is anything to be outraged about. It is not Mona herself being edited away, it's the acne, a separate entity.
The photos aren't being edited by the photographer. Those are Getty photos and sport photos are hardly edited simply because there is no time for that. They come almost straight out of camera.

The editing is done by the WTA, not Getty. You can tell by the fact that SPOX has the very same photo in its original form.

My Tennis Photo Database
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #170
country flag crystal ball

crystal ball is a splendid one to behold crystal ball is a splendid one to behold crystal ball is a splendid one to behold crystal ball is a splendid one to behold crystal ball is a splendid one to behold crystal ball is a splendid one to behold crystal ball is a splendid one to behold crystal ball is a splendid one to behold crystal ball is a splendid one to behold crystal ball is a splendid one to behold crystal ball is a splendid one to behold

But they airbrush all the players in these photos, as far as I can tell...
crystal ball is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #171
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future

Why is this even an issue?

The future of the WTA
SLOANE STEPHENS MADISON KEYS MONICA PUIG ELINA SVITOLINA
EUGENIE BOUCHARD
lupojohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #172
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
But they airbrush all the players in these photos, as far as I can tell...
That much has to be said. They make all players look like aliens.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #173
country flag Roookie

Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute

This was the picture I saw on the home page after the final. Dunno if they change it later for the others posted here.

Obviously they used the one where trophy covers her acne the most and still photoshopped it.
Roookie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #174
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

After reading some of the comments in the latest result thread I'm not at all surprised the WTA airbrushes her face. It seems a lot of people do have a problem with her appearance which is really sad to see.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #175
country flag $uricate
FlopKing.

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

This is the world we live in people.

PopCon 2013.
$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #176
country flag Mary Cherry.

Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute

Strong Is Beautiful*

*terms and conditions apply.
Mary Cherry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #177
country flag n1_and_uh_noone

n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute

Normally, I would call this the sort of thing that does not deserve to be discussed ad infinitum, especially as Barthel is clearly a confident young woman and has everything going for her: sweet modest personality, beautiful athletic figure and features, and game. What one poster said about her probably having done the rounds of dermatologists for her condition is probably true. As an athlete though, she cannot risk taking steroids for it or endless experimental therapies. I think in general that all the physical activity does help the skin a lot, because we don't see too many athletes with skin conditions. Which means it is just bad luck (genes) responsible for the few cases we do see.

I sympathize with her because it can be mentally (more than physically) scarring to see how most people do not have to worry one bit about something a few end up agonizing over, something they do not have much control over. But she does not seem affected by it, and kudos to her for that. Awful of the WTA to do what they do. It is probably something that is a default policy by now, but is reprehensible anyway, especially considering how they are trying to bring players closer to the fans, referring to players by their first names, composing player 'getting-to-know' pieces and videos.

Am I surprised though? Judging by some of the vile comments here, no. They seem to know their target audience.

- Li Na

(after dramatic 3-set AO 2013 final, where she took 2 nasty spills and twisted her ankle).
n1_and_uh_noone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #178
country flag blongislong

blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold

Love me some Mona. In my mind she has the potential to be an all time great. And clearly the most talented German. By the way I am a huge fan of the young Germans and Sabine in particular.
blongislong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #179
country flag Losing Streak

Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Cherry. View Post
Strong Is Beautiful*

*terms and conditions apply.
Was about to post the same
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #180
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously though, I think the real issue is that god awful trophy. Looks like something I made out of cardboard in DT when I was 13.

Maria Sharapova: Always on Your Mind
AnnieIWillKnow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote