Best players of the 90s - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #1
country flag Matchpoint down

Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light
Best players of the 90s

Based on their performances at 1)The Grand Slam tournaments 2)other major tournaments (Virginia Slims Championships, Olympic Games, Lipton Championships) 3)Tournament wins 4)Rankings (highest ranking, sum of years in the top 10) and 5)mixed and doubles at the Grand Slams plus Federation Cup and Hopman Cup, I made a ranking of the most succesful players, including all results until April 30, 1993.

1. Seles
2. Graf
3. Sanchez
4. Sabatini
5. Navratilova
6. Capriati
7. Fernandez
8. Novotna
9. Martinez
10. K.Maleeva
Matchpoint down is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #2
country flag JohnBoy

JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all
Re: Best players of the 90s

I would put Manuela Maleeva infront of Katerina..
JohnBoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #3
country flag Sonf@
agradecería con alegría que me comierais la ñocla.

Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute

Those are the "best players of the first four years of the 90s", aren't they?

Sticking with the topic, I'd say

Graf
Seles
Hingis
Sánchez
Davenport
Novotna
Sabatini
Martinez
Pierce
MJ Fernandez/Majoli

I'd leave both the Williams out because their real success came with the 00s. Serena won the last Grand Slam of the decade but she was just into her second full season
our main preoccupation comes from the holy sky; when that blue roof starts falling smashing our worthless lives
we'd run undercover 'till the mankind finds evolution.
Sonf@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #4
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonfo View Post
Those are the "best players of the first four years of the 90s", aren't they?

Sticking with the topic, I'd say

Graf
Seles
Hingis
Sánchez
Davenport
Novotna
Sabatini
Martinez
Pierce
MJ Fernandez/Majoli

I'd leave both the Williams out because their real success came with the 00s. Serena won the last Grand Slam of the decade but she was just into her second full season
I personally think Martina Navratilova deserves at least mention. From 1990-95 she was still pretty close to the top, and beating Graf, Seles and Sanchez Vicario on occasion, and winning Wimbledon in 90 and a runner-up finish in 94 count.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #5
country flag Sonf@
agradecería con alegría que me comierais la ñocla.

Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I totally forgot about her My mistake

I'd take the MJ/Majoli position off and I'd rank Martina before or after Martínez
our main preoccupation comes from the holy sky; when that blue roof starts falling smashing our worthless lives
we'd run undercover 'till the mankind finds evolution.
Sonf@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #6
country flag Calvin M.

Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future

An interesting decade because of the departure and welcome return of both Seles and Capriati. Seles would be 1 or 2 but I'm not certain if I'd include Capriati if we could only choose 10 players (she didn't win a Slam).
Calvin M. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #7
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

1. Graf
2. Seles
3. Hingis
4. Sanchez Vicario
5. Davenport
6. Novotna
7. Sabatini
8. Navratilova
9. Martinez
10. Pierce

Hovering just outside the top 10: S Williams, MJF, V Williams, Majoli, Date
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #8
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

1. Seles
2. Graf
3. Hingis
4. Sanchez
5. Sabatini
6. Navratilova
7. Martinez
8. Fernandez
9. Pierce
10. Novotna
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #9
country flag Calvin M.

Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future

1. Seles
2. Graf
3. Sanchez Vicario
4. Sabatini
5. Martinez
6. Novotna
7. Hingis
8. Davenport
9. Pierce
10. Majoli
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #10
country flag mistymore

mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of

All results until April 30, 1993. What kind of crap is that. So someone like Hingis doesnt even exist now and is omited from a 90s top 10 in favor of likes of Mary Joe Fernandez, LOL! Anyway here is my list and it is a pretty simple one:

1. Graf- dominated mid 90s and won atleast 1 slam every full year she played
2. Seles- dominated early 90s but won only 1 slam from 96-99
3. Hingis- dominant overall player of late 90s, but only 1 dominant year- 1997 which puts her below Seles
4. Sanchez- 3 slams
5. Davenport
6. Novotna
7. Martinez
8. Sabatini
9. Pierce
10. Navratilova
mistymore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #11
country flag mistymore

mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin M. View Post
1. Seles
2. Graf
3. Sanchez Vicario
4. Sabatini
5. Martinez
6. Novotna
7. Hingis
8. Davenport
9. Pierce
10. Majoli
Hingis who won 5 slams and spent oodles of time at #1 in the 90s below Sabatini, Martinez, Novotna, and her bitch Sanchez!?!? God there seem to be alot of stupid people on this forum.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #12
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Well, I didn't post on this thread but I read the differente lists, I agree with some and not with others, but I don't think it's necessary to call anybody stupid out of his/her tennis preferences, don't you think Misty?
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:21 PM   #13
country flag Calvin M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymore View Post
Hingis who won 5 slams and spent oodles of time at #1 in the 90s below Sabatini, Martinez, Novotna, and her bitch Sanchez!?!? God there seem to be alot of stupid people on this forum.
The reason I placed those players higher than Hingis is that Sabatini, Martinez, Novtona and ASV regularly played against Graf and Seles. Hingis did not. I'm not discounting Hingis' talent and consistency but she really didn't have much competition. Hingis' contemporaries and more seasoned rivals didn't flourish as fast as she did. If they had, who knows if she would've won 5 Slams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
Well, I didn't post on this thread but I read the differente lists, I agree with some and not with others, but I don't think it's necessary to call anybody stupid out of his/her tennis preferences, don't you think Misty?
I wouldn't call anyone that but at least the poster was honest with his/her feelings. People are quite passionate on this board (about a multitude of things) so reading comments like this is no big surprise.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #14
country flag mistymore

Who cares about so called level of competition when you win 5 slams and dominate vs people who win 1. Do you really think the mid 90s where Martinez and Sanchez had their most success was a great field either. Martinez especialy was completely useless agaisnt any competition, and won Wimbledon by beating a nearly 40 year old women in the final and a nobody in the semis. Novotna also had her most success in the late 90s, just far less than Hingis. Hingis at her best would crush all of Sanchez, Martinez, and Novotna at their best, that is all that matters. Only Sabatini at her best might give her some competition, but with only 1 slam she has to rate even below Sanchez so it doesnt matter.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #15
country flag mistymore

Anyway a good list that makes sense:

1. Graf

2. Seles
3. Hingis

4. Sanchez
5. Sabatini
6. Davenport

7. Novotna
8. Martinez
9. Pierce
10. Navratilova

I upped Sabatini from my previous list since if you factor level of play and level of competition she moves well up.