Big California Matches #1 UCLA & # 4 USC play #6 Stanford & #10 Cal, Friday and Sat. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 9th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #1
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Big California Matches #1 UCLA & # 4 USC play #6 Stanford & #10 Cal, Friday and Sat.

Greatly anticipating these matches.

For the Northern California teams, some injuries may complicate the picture. For Stanford, Kristie Ahn has been seen on crutches. For California star Jana Juricova has been injured for several weeks, but recently came back in doubles.

For the southern side of the state, UCLA is ranked #1, and has a 20 game winning streak, but the Arizona teams got some points off of them, and the results could be compared to the scores for Cal and Stanford. I leave it to Fantic to state the condition of USC.

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Apr 10th, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 10th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #2
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold
Re: Big California Matches #1 UCLA & # 4 USC play #6 Stanford & #9 Cal, Friday and Sa

Stanford is playing at home and even if Kristie isn't playing, the home crowd will help give the Cards the edge that they need as they always find some way to win the PAC-12.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Big California Matches #1 UCLA & # 4 USC play #6 Stanford & #9 Cal, Friday and Sa

UCLA will win if they can win the doubles point and someone else can pick up a singles point besides 5 and 6.

I expect all these 4 matches to be close!
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Without Ahn, you have to assume that Stanford will lose No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles. Stanford is really in a 0-2 hole from the get go.

Although if USC puts in Ramos at No. 6 I'm giving Stanford the edge Ramos is far from the blue chip/early form she exhibited when she started college tennis.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #5
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
UCLA will win if they can win the doubles point and someone else can pick up a singles point besides 5 and 6.

I expect all these 4 matches to be close!
I can't speak with recent observational knowledge of the USC and UCLA teams, but Veronica Li at #5 has shown some good play. I'm thinking that one would be close too. But this could be good.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #6
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
Without Ahn, you have to assume that Stanford will lose No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles. Stanford is really in a 0-2 hole from the get go.

Although if USC puts in Ramos at No. 6 I'm giving Stanford the edge Ramos is far from the blue chip/early form she exhibited when she started college tennis.
Stanford still has two very strong doubles teams at #1 and #2.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #7
country flag 2nd_serve

The California matches might be where the news is made. If Juricova is back playing a strong No 1, we could get a big story.

I'd take Juricova over Anderson, and this year' Zusanyi over this year's McCall. Taylor Davis may have benefited from playing tougher opponents, and it would be a you pickem with Montez. And then there are other chances for Cal to pick up a couple more points.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #8
country flag 2nd_serve

Re: Big California Matches #1 UCLA & # 4 USC play #6 Stanford & #10 Cal, Friday and S

February matchup/scores between Cal and UCLA (w/o Juricova)

Los Angeles Tennis Center | Los Angeles, Calif.
Friday, Feb. 24 - 1:30 p.m. PT
Records: UCLA (11-0), California (6-2)
Doubles
1. No. 12 Anderson/Morton (UCLA) def. Goransson/Schutting (CAL); 8-6
2. Davis/Susanyi (CAL) def. Montez/Van Nguyen (UCLA); 8-2
3. Jones/Seguso (UCLA) def. Duranteau/Estlander (CAL); 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1* (UCLA wins doubles point)
Singles
1. No. 23 Zsofi Susanyi (CAL) def. No. 6 Robin Anderson (UCLA); 6-3, 6-4
2. No. 48 Tayler Davis (CAL) def. No. 90 McCall Jones (UCLA); 6-4, 6-2
3. No. 98 Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. No. 85 Anett Schutting (CAL); 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
4. Annie Goransson (CAL) def. No. 121 Skylar Morton (UCLA); 6-2, 6-1
5. No. 102 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. No. 103 Cecilia Estlander (CAL); 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. No. 61 Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Alice Duranteau (CAL); 6-2, 7-6
Order of finish: 4, 1, 2, 5, 6, 3*
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #9
country flag 2nd_serve

Re: Big California Matches #1 UCLA & # 4 USC play #6 Stanford & #10 Cal, Friday and S

February Matchup/scores between Cal and USC

No. 7 USC 4, No. 5 California 3
David X. Marks Tennis Stadium | Los Angeles, Calif.
Saturday, Feb. 25 - Noon PT
Records: USC (9-1), California (6-3)
Doubles
1. Goransson/Schutting (CAL) def. No. 4 Christian/Santamaria (USC); 9-7
2. Davis/Susanyi (CAL) def. Lao/Ramos (USC); 9-7
3. No. 45 Pulido/Scandalis (USC) def. Duranteau/Estlander (CAL); 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1* (California wins doubles point)
Singles
1. No. 23 Zsofi Susanyi (CAL) def. No. 10 Zoe Scandalis (USC); 6-2, 4-6, 1-0(3)
2. No. 17 Danielle Lao (USC) def. No. 48 Tayler Davis (CAL); 6-0, Ret. (Inj.)
3. No. 24 Sabrina Santamaria (USC) def. No. 85 Anett Schutting (CAL); 6-4, 6-0
4. No. 63 Kaitlyn Christian (USC) def. Annie Goransson (CAL); 6-3, 6-1
5. Gabrielle DeSimone (USC) def. No. 103 Cecilia Estlander (CAL); 7-5, 6-2
6. Alice Duranteau (CAL) def. Alison Ramos (USC), 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 4, 6, 3, 5*, 1

And. does anyone know about Goransson?

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Apr 10th, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #10
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Does Veronica play #5? Hmm..if then, I'll say UCLA wins both no. 5 & 6.
Oh you were saying about USC
Hmm..#5 match could be the key; Veronica vs Gabi

I'd still give an edge to Stanford though, Stanford might sweep upper positions and dbls pt as well..

Agree with all other pts.

I still think Stanford will sweep two So. Cal teams.
Their upper three are too strong..Tsay at #4 is no joke either.
Plus, as Amal says Stanford's dbls #1 & 2 are VERY strong..

And this is why I hate that Krista is going to Stanford
Simply no hope of upset..

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 02:53 AM   #11
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
The California matches might be where the news is made. If Juricova is back playing a strong No 1, we could get a big story.

I'd take Juricova over Anderson, and this year' Zusanyi over this year's McCall. Taylor Davis may have benefited from playing tougher opponents, and it would be a you pickem with Montez. And then there are other chances for Cal to pick up a couple more points.
I agree. Given their two past showings, one would think a healthy Cal could really pull off an upset (or two!) this weekend.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #12
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Let's go Nor Cal!
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #13
country flag Amalgamate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
Let's go Nor Cal!
That rare moment when Mboyle resurfaces and roots for Stanford?
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #14
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

Juricova's back? Since when? (Lol bad Cal tennis fan here...)

I feel like Krista at Stanford is the only "good fit" for her. USC is a far second, but when you think about it, Krista wants to go pro. Having a gap in talent of the top and lower players on the team isn't the optimal preparation for her.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #15
country flag Amalgamate

Quote:
Originally Posted by profesorakittens View Post
Juricova's back? Since when? (Lol bad Cal tennis fan here...)

I feel like Krista at Stanford is the only "good fit" for her. USC is a far second, but when you think about it, Krista wants to go pro. Having a gap in talent of the top and lower players on the team isn't the optimal preparation for her.
She played singles and doubles against Oregon, Sacramento St., and Washington St. 3/17, 3/23, and 3/25. And then only doubles against Arizona St. April 1st.