Serena's 2012 Articles/News - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #31
country flag kLee

kLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Serena's 2012 Articles/News

"She is 'excellent' at shopping as she prepares for life after tennis" - so she is working not only for sport but for after-sport shopping life

Advertisement

Old Mar 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #32
country flag Marcell

Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/26/seren ... dead-diva/

Serena Williams to star on 'Drop Dead Diva' -- EXCLUSIVE

by Lynette Rice

Serena Williams will move from the tennis court to the court of law when Drop Dead Diva returns to Lifetime in June.

EW has learned exclusively that Williams will play Kelly Stevens, a family lawyer representing Elisa Shayne (Brandy Norwood) in a bitter, life-changing custody battle against Jay Parker (Josh Stamberg). Norwood first appeared last season as Jay’s estranged ex-girlfriend.

“I had heard that Serena was a fan of the show, so I reached out to her directly,” says Josh Berman, Diva’s creator and executive producer. “The writers developed this part specifically for her. I can’t wait to watch Serena serve it up on our set.”

Williams has made several TV appearances in the past on shows like My Wife and Kids, The Division, ER, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Diva is currently in production on its fourth season in Atlanta. Last season, the drama averaged 2.3 million viewers and was the No. 1 program in its Sunday time period among women 18-49 and women 25-54 versus all basic cable networks.
Marcell is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #33
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201203...256076_2691759

Quote:
Yanina Outdoes Kim, Serena Cruises On

March 24, 2012
MIAMI, FL, USA - Serena Williams served up a storm while Sabine Lisicki lifted her game on the big points, and now both are through to the fourth round of the Sony Ericsson Open - and still alive in the quest to reach the Top 10.

Williams, the No.10 seed at the Premier-level event, was the first to advance, blasting eight aces en route to a 62 61 win over No.21 seed Roberta Vinci.

"I played okay. I can definitely do better but I haven't played a lot," Williams said. "It's just about getting those matches. But I don't see Venus Williams making any excuses about not playing a lot, and she's doing excellent."

Williams did not watch her sister's upset over No.3 seed Petra Kvitova the night before. "I wasn't there - I played so early today, I needed to kind of not be there," she said. "I actually hate morning matches, but I always do my best at 11 or 10 o'clock matches. I always do excellent, so maybe I should like them.

"I have this app that's like WTA/ATP live score, so I was watching the live scores last night. It was really intense. I got a little nervous after she lost the second set, but then she raced through the third, so I was really excited."

No one has won Miami more than Williams - she has five titles here, tied for the all-time record with Steffi Graf. But she's still hungry for more success. "I need trophies," she said. "I want to add more and do more. There are records to break. I've just got to believe it. I do believe it. I just have to go from there."
Serena so motivated

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #34
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201203...256076_2693907

Quote:
Serena Serves Notice, Returns To Top 10

March 26, 2012
MIAMI, FL, USA - In last year's US Open final, Serena Williams' massive serve just wasn't hitting its mark, producing just five aces - a good number for most players, but for one of the greatest servers of all time, not so pleasing. She ended up losing that final in straight sets to Samantha Stosur, 62 63.

Williams righted all those wrongs at the Sony Ericsson Open on Monday.

With her trademark competitive fire burning as strong as ever - she came back from a break of serve down in both sets - Williams served up a storm to avenge that US Open loss in the fourth round in Miami, blasting 20 aces to defeat Stosur, 75 63. The tally equalled Williams' personal best for a match, and also set the record for most aces in a match so far this year on the WTA.

"I was down a little bit and my serve was able to pull me through," Williams commented. "For the most part things are working pretty decently. I honestly feel I can do better - but my serve was hot. I was like, 'That's pretty cool.'

"I thought it was a super high quality match. I think we both really, really went for our shots, and she hit little to no errors. It was really well-fought."

"I had my chances, being a break up in both sets, but there were a few points in a couple of my service games I didn't play very well and she got back even," Stosur said. "In the second set she served extremely well. I've never had six aces served against me in one game, and break points that get saved over and over and over again. I gave myself chances but she took them away quickly."

Williams said the US Open final wasn't in her mind: "I just thought, 'This is a new game.' It wasn't in my mind at all. I was a little more fresh this time.

"I have a lot of respect for her game, and everyone out here too, and when I go out there to play, I just go to do the best I can, and what happens happens. Every match for me is a joy to win. I like it and I enjoy it. It makes me happy."

And the aces? "Every time I step up to serve, I pretty much want to hit an ace."

By reaching the quarterfinals, and with Sabine Lisicki losing her fourth round match, Williams - currently No.11 - is now projected to return to the Top 10.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #35
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201203...256076_2693990

Quote:
No.4 seed Caroline Wozniacki and No.5 seed Agnieszka Radwanska were also among the winners during the day session, Wozniacki serving her only ace of the match on her seventh set point in the first set then rolling past No.23 seed Yanina Wickmayer, 76(6) 60, and Radwanska needing just 68 minutes to end the breakthrough run of Spanish teenager Garbińe Muguruza Blanco, 63 62.

"In the second set I just took off from the first point," Wozniacki said. "The first set was a very high level from both of us. I wasn't able to take my chances at 6-5, but I'm happy I finished it in the tie-break. I was going for that ace."

Wozniacki next faces No.10 seed Serena Williams, who won earlier in the day. Williams has beaten Wozniacki in all three previous meetings, though one was a retirement and Wozniacki held match points in another.

"I really, really, really, really like Caroline as a person and as a girl and as someone on the tour," Williams said of the Dane. "I like her a lot. She's a good girl and it will be a tough match. It will be like going out there against a good friend. I always said if I can play Venus, then I'm okay playing anybody."
Nice words about Caroline

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #36
country flag nadlinds

nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of

Stats Corner: Most Time Spent In Top 10

MIAMI, FL, USA - The good news keeps coming this fortnight for the Williams sisters, who are both through to the quarterfinals at the Sony Ericsson Open.

By virtue of her performance here, Serena is assured of returning to the Top 10 on the new rankings for the first time since May. And the only player she trails amongst active players for most weeks spent in the Top 10 is none other than Venus. Here is a list of the 10 active players atop that list:

Player Weeks In Top 10 (Through End Of Miami)
Venus Williams 554
Serena Williams 516
Kim Clijsters 346
Maria Sharapova 291
Svetlana Kuznetsova 284
Jelena Jankovic 226
Vera Zvonareva 166
Nadia Petrova 156
Caroline Wozniacki 150
Kimiko Date-Krumm 149

Notes: Wozniacki is the only player on this list who once she broke into the Top 10, has never fallen out ... World No.1 Victoria Azarenka is spending her 137th career week in the Top 10.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201203...256076_2697528

VENUS WILLIAMS ~ 7 TIME GRAND SLAM SINGLES CHAMPION

SERENA & VENUS WILLIAMS ~ 13 TIME GRAND SLAM DOUBLES CHAMPIONS

SERENA AND VENUS WILLIAMS ~ THE 2 GREATEST SUPERSTARS SISTERS OF ALL TIME!!!
nadlinds is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #37
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201203...256076_2697705

Quote:
Wozniacki Too Solid, Beats Serena In QFs

March 27, 2012
MIAMI, FL, USA - Caroline Wozniacki was too solid for Serena Williams at the Sony Ericsson Open on Tuesday night, absorbing 34 winners from the American but drawing 36 unforced errors en route to a 64 64 victory.

Wozniacki, who had lost all three of their previous meetings but was playing Williams for the first time since the American's year-long lay-off due to injury and illness, was just too consistent throughout the match, and although their winners-to-errors differentials were almost identical (12/13 and -1 for Wozniacki, 34/36 and -2 for Williams), Williams was not as solid on the big points.

"Serena is a great champion and I have very much respect for her," Wozniacki said. "For me to go out and win against her is great. I have lost the three previous times. I thought I played a very good match out there. I'm pleased the way I played - I didn't make too many unforced errors and I made her run."

"I think I just struggled a bit with a lot of errors more than anything," Williams said. "She did well, she moved well, and I just made too many errors. Sometimes you're not playing well. But you have to be able to play better.

"The good thing, though, is I could have played a lot better. I probably played about 20%. It would really suck if I couldn't do any better. I'm just looking forward to the next tournament and I'll try not to dwell on this too much."

There were some dangerous moments for Wozniacki in the second set, when her 64 51 lead became 64 54, and 30-all - but in those moments, she rose up.

"There are some players you play who, when you lead 5-1 in the second set, you know that you have pretty much won the match - but against someone like Serena, you know you need to fight until the last point," Wozniacki said. "I knew she was going to step up. I could tell she was really motivated that last game."

"I was feeling better than I had before - I started mixing it up," Williams said of the three games in a row she won. "In the last game I went back to what got me in that position in the first place, though, and obviously it didn't help.

"It's not fun. I wanted to be in the semifinals, but I'm not there."

The No.4-seeded Wozniacki is through to the semifinals here for the first time and will face No.2 seed Maria Sharapova, who beat No.8 seed Li Na, 63 60.

"To be honest, I'm so happy I have a day off tomorrow," Wozniacki said. "I can actually relax a little bit, practice once, and then enjoy Miami. Maria is a strong player. I have been playing well lately and hitting the ball hard, so I really need to make her move - that's the most important thing in that match, I think."

Sharapova leads Wozniacki in their head-to-head, 3-2. Sharapova won their last meeting, though Wozniacki has won their last two hardcourt meetings.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 10:05 PM   #38
country flag nadlinds

nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of

Quotable Quotes... Randomness In Miami

MIAMI, FL, USA - The stars of the WTA haven't just been lighting up the courts during the Sony Ericsson Open, they have been lighting up the press room. Check out some of their best (and at times random) quotes right here...

Venus Williams on the Olympics...
"When I don't want to get up, if I want to do something different, if I want to make an error, then I think about the Olympics and how if I don't do the right thing I might not be there. That keeps me on the straight and narrow. It's just the ultimate level in sports. It's about participating, it's about having that experience, it's about having the honor of being good enough to be there."

Venus Williams on her Olympic pin collection...
"I pretty much hide them around the house to the point where I can't even find them. So then it takes me a few months to figure out where I hid them. They're my pride and joy. I have a pin holder set, an Olympic pin holder set - you unzip it and you open it, and I have 2000 and 2004 in there, but strangely enough I haven't put 2008 in there. I need to get cracking, spend a few hours arranging it perfectly. It's crazy, but all of your memories are in there."

Victoria Azarenka on playing golf...
"No, I don't. I played twice in my life, and it was a little bit boring for me. Everybody keeps saying I have to learn to really like it, so I'm going to give myself a try when I have time off, but not between matches, definitely."

Maria Sharapova on the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi...
"It's pretty surreal because that's where I spent my childhood in Russia, as well as Yevgeny Kafelnikov. I always felt it was such a beautiful city with so much to do. It was so unexpected we got it - I think everyone is just thrilled. Not many people knew of Sochi when I had come to the States - when they asked where I was from and I said Sochi, they would ask me where it was in relation to Moscow. Now people are aware the Winter Olympics are going to be there.

"I really hope I can go. That would be amazing. I was on those slopes when I was young, just running around and going on the lifts and enjoying the scenery. An hour drive and you can be swimming in the Black Sea. It's really amazing."

Serena Williams on being close with Venus Williams...
"Honestly, it's ridiculous now. Like we have kind of held each other back now. Hey, we're in for the long run. That's like my husband.

"We talk about a lot of things. We're always laughing together. I tell her everything, so it's fun. She's really fun. Obviously she's really fun. She helps me out a lot too. And she always asks me for advice - like her latest collection, she's like, 'What do you think?' I was like, 'I don't like this, change it,' and she changed it. We give a lot of feedback to each other, and she gives me feedback on my collection too. It's really cool. It's really fun."

Ana Ivanovic on how she and fellow Serb Nenad Zimonjic decided on playing mixed doubles together at the upcoming Olympics...
"It was about two years ago. He called me. I was like, 'Okay, hi.' He said, 'Do you want to play mixed in Olympics?' I'm like, 'It's three years away.' He's like, 'Yeah. Do you want to play?' I'm like, 'Okay.' So that's how it happened."

Kim Clijsters on her schedule this year...
"I do plan on trying to play a full schedule this year. If my ranking goes high again I have a chance of making it into the Top 8, it might be nice to end at the WTA Championships. The Olympics is what I'm focused on now - I said that was the long-term goal when I started playing again. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to play the US Open or anything. The US Open is a very special place for me, so I would definitely like to play there, as well."

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/OffCou...707350,00.html

Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:50 PM   #39
country flag nadlinds

Ranking Watch: Serena Returns To Top 10

The release of the new rankings yielded good news for the Williams sisters in light of quarterfinal showings for each at the Sony Ericsson Open.

After missing the second half of 2010 and the first half of 2011 with various health issues, Serena Williams' ranking fell as low as No. 175 in July 2011, However, since then she has had consistent results and a steady rankings ascension, highlighted by returning to the Top 10 this week.

Here is a chart of recent ranking ups and downs for Williams:

Date Ranking Move Note
7/4/11 No.25 to No.175 Lowest ranking since November '97
8/1/11 No.169 to No.79 Rises 90 spots - third-greatest one-week jump of career - after winning Stanford
8/15/11 No.80 to No.31 Rises 49 spots after winning Toronto
9/12/11 No.27 to No.14 Re-enters Top 20 after run to US Open final
4/2/12 No.11 to No.10 Re-enters Top 10 for first time since May '10 after QF showing in Miami

Notes: This is Williams' 516th career week in the Top 10, second-most amongst active players behind Venus Williams' 554 ... Serena Williams has no points to defend until June.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201204...256076_2712590

Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:17 AM   #40
country flag Maddox
No Acid in this house

Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, had no idea Venus was in the top 10 more weeks in her career than Serena.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:38 PM   #41
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

"Honestly, it's ridiculous now. Like we have kind of held each other back now. Hey, we're in for the long run. That's like my husband."

█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #42
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201204...256076_2720731

Quote:
Serena Beats Vesnina, Stosur Advances Too

April 03, 2012
CHARLESTON, SC, USA - Playing her first match on clay in almost two years Serena Williams showed the skills that once took her to the French Open title, shining on both offense and defense to beat Elena Vesnina, 63 64.

The last time Williams played on clay was the French Open in 2010, and the last time she played in Charleston was when she won the title in 2008. But it was hard to believe anywhere near that time had passed as she fired 11 aces and broke serve three times en route to the win over 2011 finalist Vesnina.

"I forgot I hadn't played on clay in so long, but that's so true," Williams said. "I really love the clay. I feel like it suits my game. I don't have to go crazy and move my feet so much. And it's no different from hard or grass - I should be able to play the same and do the same, if not better, because I have more time."

The 11th ace actually came at the most critical time - match point. "I pretty much just go for my serve and do the best I can, so I'm glad I'm getting some aces," Williams commented. "It really helps to get a free point. Especially on the last point, you definitely want to hit an ace. It's a lot easier - believe me."

The former No.1, who just got back into the Top 10 this week after making the quarterfinals in Miami last week, also talked about her love for Charleston. "I really love it here. I have so many supporters here, and I absolutely love the food here - too much. Unfortunately I had some banana pudding before I went out. I don't know why I did that. It was so good though. I keep tweeting how I'm having so much trouble with the food. That's actually my Achilles heel, soul food and southern food. Maybe that's why it's been four years since I've been here."

Williams was also asked about going for her 40th WTA title here: "It would be special to do it here. I think Venus has 41 or something like that, 46, whatever. She's ahead of me, so it would be nice to get one any time soon. We'll see."

Venus Williams does lead active players for WTA titles with 43 of them, followed by Kim Clijsters, who has 41, and third is Serena Williams with 39.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #43
country flag rucolo

Quote:
The last time Williams played on clay was the French Open in 2010
wow

Quote:
"I really love the clay. I feel like it suits my game. I don't have to go crazy and move my feet so much. And it's no different from hard or grass - I should be able to play the same and do the same, if not better, because I have more time."
Serena admits she is lazy with moving her feet

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #44
country flag nadlinds

Quotable Quotes... On The Original 9

CHARLESTON, SC, USA - The Original 9 are reuniting at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston this week, and some of today's WTA stars have been commenting on the event... here's a little bit of what they're saying.

Venus Williams on her involvement with WTA causes...
"I know a little bit about the history of women's tennis, not all. I read Billie Jean's book, "We Have Come A Long Way". I love that book.

"I feel grateful to have this job. There are times in history where women didn't have equal rights, African-Americans. There's so many people who fought for me to have this oppportunity, so the fact it's the 40-year anniversary is very special. I'll be there to celebrate it. Even if I have a match, I want to take part."

Venus Williams on what has made tennis the biggest women's sport...
"Billie Jean King. Three words. Everyone who believed, all the people who got on board in the beginning, it was something special. Tennis is a special sport."

Serena Williams on the history of the WTA...
"I love history, and I think in order to do really well, you have to know where you've come from. Whether that's your racial background or your profession, you want to know what happened in the past so you can help things continue to move forward and learn about the Original 9 and all they did for tennis. Not only tennis, just women's sports in general. That's why tennis really stands out among all female sports, because these nine ladies took a stand and said, 'We want this, and we want this to happen for us and for our tour,' and now look at us. I think we're the premier sport for all females. "I'm really honored they did that. It opened so many doors for me and for every player that's playing now."

Marion Bartoli on the Original 9...
"Those nine women were so inspiring. It's because they fought for us that we are here and have women's tennis is where it is right now, the highest sport for women. Billie Jean is a very good friend of mine, and she always e-mails or texts me when I get a great win - it's really sweet of her, and I'm always taking the time to reply. She's such an inspiration for all of us. She's so strong, and she really set the tone for women. I remember the match she played against the man and got the win, and that's basically why we're here now. We all have to remind ourselves of this and be thankful for her and everything she has done."

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/OffCou...725154,00.html

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #45
country flag hBence

hBence has a reputation beyond repute hBence has a reputation beyond repute hBence has a reputation beyond repute hBence has a reputation beyond repute hBence has a reputation beyond repute hBence has a reputation beyond repute hBence has a reputation beyond repute hBence has a reputation beyond repute hBence has a reputation beyond repute hBence has a reputation beyond repute hBence has a reputation beyond repute

Next up for Stosur will be No.5 seed Serena Williams, who made it through to the semifinals earlier in the afternoon after No.6 seed Sabine Lisicki suffered a left ankle injury and had to retire from the match down 4-1 in the opening set.

Williams and Lisicki shared some words at the net during the handshake.

"I just told her it would be all right," Williams recalled. "I'm in an emotional time in my life, so I told her, 'Don't cry, because you're going to make me cry,' and I was like, my eyes are getting watery. I'm always crying. But it's not the French Open now. At least it happened earlier and you can recover. It's okay. I've been through those injuries, and it sucks. It really, really sucks."

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201204...256076_2726299

Serena Williams - Ági Szávay - Venus Williams - Andrea Petkovic - Rafa Nadal - Timi Babos - Svetlana Kuznetsova - Lewis Hamilton
hBence is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread