Vera Zvonareva - Interview Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:24 PM   #1
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute
Vera Zvonareva - Interview Thread

Thought it would be a good idea to have a separate thread to post interviews...

Wimbledon, R3: Vera def. Wickmayer 6-4 6-2

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...483834290.html

Quote:
V Zvonareva - 25 June 2010

Friday, 25 June 2010

Q. Just talk about your level. You have to be happy with that.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Obviously, you know, Yanina is a tough opponent, and I'm happy to win, and to win in two sets. Especially since last year, if I remember, last years I had to withdraw in my third round. I'm happy I was able to play today. I played I think pretty good match.

Q. What do you think you did overall that was so good today?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I think there were moments you know, you could always say that maybe I double faulted a little bit too many times today. But I did serve well when I needed it. I think that was good.

Also, I was able to, you know, return well, I think, today. Even sometimes I had some mistakes, but I kept doing what I had to do, and eventually paid off. I was able to break a couple times.
I think I was able to put a good intensity and go for my shots a little bit better, not to hesitate. Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Q. Are you healthy enough now and motivated enough and strong enough to get back to the level where you were before you had the injury?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, you know, finally I think I feel good. Couple of minor things, but every single tennis player experiences those. But I can say finally I'm healthy and finally I can put up a good work.

You know, I'm looking forward to improve my game and get back to that level where I was before.

Q. How long have you felt that way? Because your results since the spring have not been that great. Roland Garros was not as good as you can play, and Eastbourne.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uh huh, well, Eastbourne was a tough match. Maria Jose is very tough on the grass; it was very close match. That was actually one of the good matches, I think. Yeah, I could have used couple of opportunities, but it's minor things. I think I was already able to put a better level than the whole clay court season.

Yeah, you're right, clay court season wasn't great for me. I think it was mentally tough for me playing on the clay, and I think I can realize it better now than I was there.

Now at least I know what I have to work on for the next year for the clay court season and how I have to prepare myself.

Q. You probably heard this from some of your compatriots, but two years ago there were six Russian women in the top 10; now there's only one, Elena. Is it because of age or injuries? Why do you think that's happening?

VERA ZVONAREVA: You know, you cannot be on top of your game and play the best tennis the whole career. It happened that all of us were playing very good tennis at the same time and get into the top 10. It's not easy. It's very, very hard.

Now it seems like quite a few players got injured, like you can see with Dinara was struggling a lot, I was struggling, and other players as well. You know, injuries, they always put you back a little bit, and it's tough to recover.

I think one of the best players who can do it very well is Serena, because she's not able to play for a long time due to injuries and then come back and still play very strong.

But, um, otherwise, injuries always tough to recover from. It seems like we all got even Elena, you know, she couldn't come here and play here. She had to withdraw in a semifinal of a Grand Slam.

So I think it's just a coincidence of everything together: everyone being in the great form and then everyone suddenly getting injured at the same time. It's a little bit downhill, maybe.

But I'm sure all of us, we're good players, and I'm sure we will get back to that level.

Q. There was also a time when you would have three players and you would have a couple more come up and replace them. You'd have someone that was 21, 22, 23. Now you have Kleybanova, Pavlyuchenkova maybe coming up to the level of top 20, top 10. Do you see them as being real elite players, or do we still have to wait and see on them?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, think they're coming close to that. You can also see I think Anastasia, I think, she beat Venus back to back last year. Two great wins is not easy, so being definitely see the potential out there.

And Alisa, she already has a lot of top 10 wins under her belt. So I think they are up there. It's just a very thin line between the players becoming one of the top 10 players and maybe being ranked 30. Maybe they will need just a little bit more experience. But both of them are very good players.

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM   #2
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vera Zvonareva - Interview Thread

Wimbledon, R4: Vera def. Jankovic 6-1 3-0 ret.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...739160623.html

Quote:
V. Zvonareva - 28 June 2010

Monday, 28 June 2010

Q. Do you feel like this is the best grass court tennis you're playing this year?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, I don't know. Hard to say. But I think I was able to play pretty good match.

I think I started the tournament pretty slow. It was very difficult for me in the first couple of matches. But I really raised the level of my game for the third, and today for the fourth round.

You know, I'm really enjoying it so far.

Q. Do you feel like you're playing well enough to go another round deeper to make your first semifinal here?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I always believe in myself. No matter what, I always know that if I can produce good tennis out there, if I can show my best, I can beat anyone on the other side of the net.

Every time I'm coming for the tournament, I'm coming to try my best to win it. So, of course.

Q. Is there an element of your game that you've been particularly pleased with over the last week?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, I think I should be pleased with my movement on the court 'cause I had so much trouble last year. And I think finally I'm getting back. I'm confident about, yeah, the way I move on the court I think.

Q. How soon during the match did you realize that Jelena was having problems?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I haven't noticed it. I was not paying attention to the other side. I knew that this match, I had to concentrate on myself and I had to go for my shots no matter what, because she's a very good player. And I was trying to take it one point at a time.

To be honest, I wasn't paying any attention to what was going on on the other side. I haven't noticed anything until she called the trainer on the court.

Q. Do you know what was wrong with her? What did she tell you when she shook hands with you at the end?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what was it. She said something is, you know, really bothering her. I just wished her a quick recovery. I hope it's nothing serious, you know, and she can recover quick, be back for the hard court season.

Q. Both your potential opponents are still on court at the moment. Do you feel like your game works better against one than the other?

VERA ZVONAREVA: It's hard to say. They are both very good players, you know. They have achieved so much in their careers. And, uhm, with those players, you always have adapt to what surface you playing on, the conditions around. I don't know. It's a lot of things.

So I don't think you can really, uhm, say that, Okay, against Kim is better for me or against Justine is better. No, it will depend on that day, on that surface, and who is going to be able to produce the best tennis.

Q. What do you think you have to do well, whoever it is, what will you be concentrating on that day?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I think I will have to stay aggressive no matter what because it is very difficult to win the match against them if you let them dominate, because they will take their chances, they will play risky shots. They're good enough to make it happen.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:37 PM   #3
country flag rucolo

Wimbledon, QF: Vera def. Clijsters 3-6 6-4 6-2

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...828589890.html

Quote:
V. Zvonareva - 29 June 2010

Tuesday, 29 June 2010

Q. Looking at your balance and your movements, the way you do splits quite elegantly, is this something you trained for particularly? Do you have a past as a gymnast or a dancer?

VERA ZVONAREVA: No, just actually happens naturally. I never train. I think I'm pretty flexible. I always work on my flexibility since I was a kid.

Then I think tennis is getting quicker and quicker. Sometimes when you try to chase the balls, it just comes naturally. I don't really train it.

Q. Mentally you seemed to manage the match very well. Can you talk about what you were feeling inside?

VERA ZVONAREVA: You know, I was just trying to play one point at a time. I was not looking around. I was trying to stay concentrated, keep my concentration on all the time, trying to think what I will do in my next point. That's about it.

Nothing else was bothering me around. I wasn't noticing anything around. I think that helped me a lot, because I was able to play pretty good tennis from the beginning till the end. You know, there is a couple unforced errors there and there, but I managed to, yeah, overall to play pretty even from the beginning till the end.

Q. Why were you able to do that today when maybe earlier in your career you might not have?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I don't know. I think it comes with experience. You grow up. You're more mature. You know you've been in different situations and you know how to manage them better. You know that it is important just to forget what was before and try to concentrate on the next point.

I think, uhm, right now I have learned a lot from the past, and I can do it much better now.

Q. What do you know about your semifinal opponent? Must be rather a surprise that you're not playing Venus, that you're playing Pironkova.

VERA ZVONAREVA: You know, obviously Venus is going to be always one of the favorite players here at Wimbledon. But if Tsvetana beat her today, she deserves to be in the semifinals. She played great tennis.

I played her in Moscow last year and I lost to her. I will try to remember that match. I know I was not playing my best tennis over there. I will just have to, you know, think about it a little bit and prepare myself the best I can.

I'm gonna try my best over there, just the way I was trying today, and then we will see what's going to happen.

Q. What were her strengths when you played her in Moscow?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I think she's all‑over‑the‑court player. You know, it's hard to predict what she's doing on the court. Sometimes she can slice; sometimes she can hit the ball; sometimes she can play slow; sometimes she can play fast. You never know what to expect, so you lose your rhythm. Then you start thinking maybe too much on the court.

I just know that in that match I will have to concentrate on myself and execute my game no matter what the score, no matter what she's trying to do. Just try not to look on the other side and try to concentrate on myself.

Q. You had some really strong results a while back in your career, then there were some tough results and your injury. What was it like when you were really struggling, trying to get over your injury? Did you imagine relatively quickly you'd reach the Wimbledon semifinal?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, you always dream about it. You always want to be there. Like I always say, I always believe in myself and I believe I can be here.

But obviously when you go through a lot of injuries in your career, it sort of puts a lot of doubts in your head. It is very difficult to come back after an injury. You lose a lot of confidence.

But, uhm, I think, I don't know, I always believed in myself. I always believed I could do it. I was just maybe frustrated that my injuries are not going away. But I know as soon as I feel hundred percent, I will be able to play good tennis again. It's just matter of time.

Because I can work hard. I can work hard every day. I believe that, you know, if you work hard, you will achieve.

Q. This was your first victory against Kim Clijsters today. What made the difference today?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, I think I was able to play one point at a time today. I was able to keep my concentration from the beginning till the end of the match. Also I'm much more experienced right now, much more mature. I think I played tactically better, and I was able to hang in there, not to pay attention to what was going on around.

Even after I lost the first set, maybe there were a couple unforced errors that could have put me back, but I was trying not to think about it. I was trying to think about what I have to do next to win the next point.

I think it helped me a lot.

Q. You are a promoter of gender equality. What have you achieved, and what are your goals with that job?

VERA ZVONAREVA: It is very important to give the same opportunities to everyone in the world. If we are lucky here, in Russia, there are so many countries, where girls, they don't have the possibilities to achieve their dreams.

And I think, uhm, us tennis players, we could be role models for the girls. No matter what they want to do in their lives, they should believe in themselves. They should believe they can achieve great things.

It's not more about of gender equality, it's more about equality for opportunities for everybody, so everyone has the same opportunities. I think our examples, where we are, we should be able to make, you know, a lot of girls around the world to believe in themselves more.

Q. You spoke about concentration. You always had your towel over your head. Is that one part of your concentration? For instance, did you see what the score was between Pironkova and Venus?

VERA ZVONAREVA: No. Like I said, nothing matters on the court besides thinking of what you're going to do next.

I think, yeah, I put the towel because it just helps me to relax and not to see what is going on around. Because in my game, I think I'm capable to do a lot of different things. For me, it's very important that my head is relaxed because then I know what I want to do in the next point.

And if you see all the things around, noticing all the scores, it just takes your concentration a little bit away, and then maybe you will make a wrong decision on the court.

And for me, if I know what I want to do, I think I'm capable of, you know, beating anyone on the other side. So for me it's very important just to keep my concentration.

Q. So you didn't know about Venus?

VERA ZVONAREVA: No.

Q. Pironkova is one of the younger players left here. Why do you think we're not seeing more teenagers breaking through at these big tournaments?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, to break through as a teenager, it's very difficult. There were some great examples in the past.

But I think to be able to reach this stage of a Grand Slam, you need an experience. You need the maturity. It comes with years on the tour.

I think it is very difficult to play unbelievable tennis and reach the Grand Slam semifinal, final very early. Only few girls were able to do it. Uhm, those girls became great players.

But, yeah, I think you need that experience to be here.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:46 PM   #4
country flag rucolo

Wimbledon, SF: Vera def. Pironkova 3-6 6-3 6-2

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...000304199.html

Quote:
V. Zvonareva - 1 July 2010

Thursday, 1 July 2010

Q. What does this mean to you and what does it feel like?

VERA ZVONAREVA: You know, I'm very excited. I think I haven't realized it yet that I will be playing in the final.

But, yeah, it's one of my dreams to be out there, to be on the Centre Court, and play in the finals of Wimbledon.

So at the moment, you know, I think I'm thinking too much about my final. But I'm sure when the tournament finishes, finally I will realize that it's, you know, one of my dreams came true and I was able to make it to the final.

Q. If it is Serena Williams as your opponent, how would you describe the challenge before you?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, it's going to be a tough challenge, for sure. Serena is great player, defending champion, and very tough to play against.

But, you know, I always believe in myself. I think I will just have to go out there and try to play my best, like I did in previous matches. We will see what's going to happen then.

Q. You've been a very good player for a long time. You've been working towards this moment for a long time. What in particular in these last two weeks has worked so well for you?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, I don't know. It's hard to say. I think I'm more experienced right now, even though I had a couple bad losses, you know, at the French Open and then Eastbourne I lost first round. But I thought I was playing already much better tennis much, and I knew I just had to keep working hard.

I knew few things that I have to improve. I was trying to go on the court and try to bring it out of myself. And if it wouldn't work that day, it wouldn't work. But I just knew I had to keep going for my shots and play the way I play.

Q. Have you worked with a professional on the mental side of your game? Is that just poise and maturity, or have you worked with a sports psychologist or performance coach?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I always believe in myself. I always know that, you know, I can do anything. For me, I think it came with an experience and I know better how to handle different situations.

But, uhm, I don't care what people say around. And when they do, I can get ‑‑ I can break the racquet, but it doesn't mean I'm not there in the match. I'm trying all the time.

But I think right now experience helps me a lot. I've been in a lot of different situations in the past of my career, and I think I know how to turn the matches around much better now.

Even if something is not working, I think I know in my head that I just have to take it one point at a time and just keep trying. In the end, we will see what's going to happen.

Q. Do you think the injuries might have been almost like a disguised blessing, that it gave you time to reassess?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Injuries are never good. You never want them. But I think definitely, you know, when you have bad injuries, you appreciate the opportunity to play out there on the court. You really appreciate that you're able to do this.

Even if you have bad losses, I think you're able to bounce back quicker because you know, you know, you're still healthy, you're still playing. You get the chance to go out there and play better.

If you're injured, you're not able to do it. So I think, yeah, maybe in a way it helped. But I don't wish anyone to get injured (smiling).

Q. Can you describe how you felt emotionally today versus how you felt when you played Dinara in Australia in the semifinals and didn't play your best.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, it's two totally different matches. It's very tough to compare those. I think Dinara played really good tennis that day. Maybe I did not expect something from her.

But today I think I was prepared better. I knew what to expect against Tsvetana. I think in the beginning was very difficult because she's very difficult opponent, especially here on the grass. But I managed to turn it around.

That match with Dinara, I think she was just too good that day for me. It was very difficult for me to turn it around.

Q. You spoke earlier about how tough a challenge Serena Williams would be. Can you get more specific about what the key to you possibly having success would be against her?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I will have to stay aggressive no matter what and not to let her dominate. Because when Serena dominates, she's very difficult to play.

So, I don't know. It's too early to say. I will have to sit down and just talk to my coach a little bit and see what the best things to do.

But I know that she's a great fighter. When I go on the court I will have to expect a very tough match, I will try to fight for every point, and I think try to make it difficult for her on every point. Try not to give her any points.

Q. How much of an advantage does her serve give her against anybody?

VERA ZVONAREVA: It's a very big advantage, I would say, especially here on the grass. But, uhm, I think if you can find the timing you can return it.

You know, it's very difficult when she's serving well, but there are moments where she may not serve as well. You just have to use those chances. You know, if she served well, okay. You go to the other side, try to return the next one.

But there will be moments where she doesn't make a first serve. I haven't seen anyone make a hundred percent of first serves. So then you will just have to take your chances then.

Q. Is there anything in your background, in your experience with her, that might give you particular confidence going in against her?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, I remember I played a very good match against her in Cincinnati one year, and I was able to beat her. It was a very, very tough one, but I think I was able to play the right way against her.

So I will just have to try to do it again.

Q. You've had three coaches now in the last eight months. Can you talk about that. Was it difficult for you? Can you talk about your new relationship with Sergei, who has just come on the scene.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Like you said, yeah, I changed three ‑‑ I don't think three coaches. I actually just worked with one coach. I think it was Antonio in the beginning of the year.

Q. Sam.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah. Well, Sam was able to help me out during Charleston because Vika was injured. Thanks a lot for that. But after that, I just started working with Sergei right away. So I didn't really change that many people.

I've known Sergei for many, many years. We actually won mixed doubles Russian championships one year. I think he was a good player. He stopped playing himself like a year ago, and I think he really enjoys coaching.

He's also the one who can hit with me on the court, so I don't really need to find hitting partners. It's very helpful.

So for me it's always a tough challenge against him. He's playing good tennis. So, yeah, so far, you know, it's working quite good.

Q. Are you still a student?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yes, I am.

Q. What are you studying?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I'm studying international economic relations at the diplomatic academy back home in Russia.

Q. Do you do it online?

VERA ZVONAREVA: No, I have to take classes over there and I have to take my exams when I'm coming back there.

Q. Why did you choose that subject to study?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I don't know. My first degree is in physical education. You know, I need to keep myself busy. I always love studying. It was always very important for me to keep my head busy with something else.

And traveling around the world, meeting different people, I just thought that international economic relations is something interesting, something, you know, close. I have a lot of experience from around the world. Maybe this way, you know, I can use it a little bit.

Q. What will you get? Is it a full degree? What is it called?

VERA ZVONAREVA: It's going to be like, I don't know, master's degree. I don't know how you call it. Yeah, diplomatic academy, it's the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Russia. It focuses a lot on international affairs, as well.

So I was doing a little bit of work with UNESCO back home. I think my experience at the academy, what I'm studying, helps with that.

Q. So how is the economy looking?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I don't think I have enough experience and knowledge yet to tell you what's going on (smiling). I don't know. Maybe when I graduate I will be able to answer that better.

Q. I saw you on the BBC talking about Robin Van Persie, the Dutch football player. Did you meet him in Amsterdam somewhere during rehab?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah. We were actually doing the rehab together. I got the surgery, and then he got injured and he got his surgery, as well. So we were at the same place doing rehab. Yeah, in Amsterdam. I got the chance to meet him.

He was working very hard. I was working very hard out there. He was working very hard. It was a pleasure, you know, just to have a fellow athlete next to you working. You know, I wish him the best at the World Cup.

Q. Are you still in touch with him somehow?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, sometimes, you know, our physio back in Amsterdam will tell me, Robin said hi; congratulations. I will sort of send him message this way, as well.

But when I was back there in Amsterdam for regular checkup, I saw him, as well. It was a couple months ago. He was there. But, uhm, yeah, other than that, we are not really in touch.

Q. Are you going to watch the game tomorrow?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I might.

Q. He'll be playing tomorrow.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah.

Q. Studying economics, how much of tennis is a business and a job for you and how much of it is just love for the sport?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, I think it is both. It is very difficult to say because our job, tennis, is our life. You cannot, like, separate it. But when we go on the court, when we practice, it's more a love of tennis. You don't think about any other things.

When you go out there, you play your matches. You want to win not because you will get better prize money, just because you want to win. You want to see that hard work paying off. It's just a joy of winning. That's the most important part of it.

I think everyone works very, very hard. When you go out there and you see the result of it, that you're able to win and you're able to play good tennis, you can really enjoy, you really don't care about anything else.

Q. At this point Serena Williams is considered maybe the biggest favorite to win the title in the last 10 years, maybe in history. When you think of the possibility of an upset, you against her, what goes through your mind?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, you know, I always believe in myself. I don't care about what everyone says. I'll just have to go out there on the court and try to play my best tennis.

I know if I play my best tennis I can beat anyone on the other side of the net. That's what I'm gonna try to do on Saturday. I never look at any odds or comparisons. It's not important to me.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:11 PM   #5
country flag rucolo

1 day before Wimbledon final vs Serena

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...087964044.html

Quote:
V Zvonareva - 2 July 2010

Friday, 2 July 2010

Q. Is fitness okay after your doubles?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, felt pretty good on the court. I think we actually played really well with my partner; didn't spend many hours on the court.

It was great, and I'm very excited about, you know, our win today.

Q. How will you spend the rest of the day? Serena said she's going to be watching Desperate Housewives.

VERA ZVONAREVA: No, I ran out of those (smiling). I'm just joking.

You know, just relaxing, getting some treatment. Yeah, maybe watching a little bit of some semifinal, men's semifinals. That's about it.

Q. Can you draw much on your previous matches with her, or they've been so long ago there's not much relevance?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, there is always something you can remember about those matches and use it for the future. But I know that it's going to be a new day. I never played her on the grass. It's going to be a very tough challenge.

You know, Serena is one of the greatest players and also greatest champions. So it's not going to be easy. But, you know, I'm going to go out there and try my best.

Q. Do you remember the first time you dreamt of this moment, making the final?

VERA ZVONAREVA: You mean like in general?

Q. Yes.

VERA ZVONAREVA: You know, I think every single kid who is watching TV and watching Wimbledon on TV wants to be in the final, wants to take part at Wimbledon and then eventually be champion of it.

So I think, uhm, everyone who eventually became a professional tennis player has this dream since they're very young.

Q. Could you talk a little bit about your studies in diplomacy. Are you actively studying?

VERA ZVONAREVA: At the moment, no. I had to take one year off. It's a three‑year course. I had take one year off due to the surgery and all these things, and I was not able to keep up.

I still had to do couple exams this year to finish from the previous one. But starting September, it's gonna be my last year. So I will have to, you know, start taking some classes and showing up.

Q. What are some of the classes you envision taking?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, well, my favorite one was in the international economic relations. That's the class.

Also world diplomacy. International affairs. That was very interesting one. And a little bit of statistics and world trade organization. Those are my favorite ones.

Q. I don't mean to be rude, but could you talk a little bit about your emotions. You had a great display in Charleston and some other places.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Tennis is an emotional sport. If you don't have any emotions, you will never be able to win. You know, you go out there to give your best. And, you know, sometimes you just ‑‑ I think, you know, it doesn't matter how emotional, what you show; it's more important what you have in there. If you believe in yourself or you don't, or you know what to tell yourself or you don't know what to tell yourself.

It doesn't mean if I break the racquet I'm going to stop playing or something. No. I think with an experience and maturity, I learn a lot about myself, and I know where I have to pump myself up and where I have to calm myself down. That's the most important thing.

But emotions, I think they're good. They should be there. It's sport. It shows that you care, that you trying your best out there.

Q. Novak just double‑faulted at a key point and smashed his racquet and then got a warning. Do you think in any way that the rules might be a little bit too tight?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, I think if you look back at those times when John McEnroe used to play, he used to do whatever he wanted and he never got fined or penalized. I think sometimes they're strict.

You know, there are some times you can just bounce the racquet back and it breaks. In the rule, it's automatic fine or whatever. You know, it's something ‑‑ it's part of the game. Emotions are part of the game.

Of course, you cannot just throw the racquets all the time and say things. But sometimes a little show of emotions I think is good. It should be there. Otherwise we also become like robots, you know. It's difficult.

On the court you don't see the differences between players because they're not allowed to express themselves sometimes.

Q. Do you think your emotions have gotten in the way of your success, or is that a misperception?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, I don't know. I don't care what everyone says, whatever everyone thinks.

Q. Has it been something you've had to learn how to deal with?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, of course. But I think it's not only emotions, you know, it's something that comes with experience. It's how you go out there and how you able to bring the best out of yourself on the court.

It's what you learn along the way. You know, you can get sometimes emotional and play your best tennis; and then you see the most calmest person in the world, tennis player who never says anything, who is never upsets about anything and could never win a match.

What's better? You know, you never know. It's whatever helps yourself to perform the best way.

Q. Have you had much opportunity to watch Serena this Wimbledon? If so, what do you make of her serve? It seems rather powerful at the moment.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I got the chance to play her in doubles, so I got the feeling of how she plays. But Serena is very talented player. She can serve hard, but she can also serve with a precision. She doesn't need to use the full power. You know, she can really put the balls on the lines, and that's what makes it difficult against her.

But, you know, I got the feeling in the doubles, you know, she serves well, but there are many good players that serve well, as well. She's not the only one.

So, you know, we will see tomorrow what's gonna happen.

Q. How about the rest of her game?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, she's No. 1 in the world, you know. She's a very good player. But, you know, it's hard to say. She has an all‑over‑the‑court game that is very good. But she lost a few matches in the past. It's always possible to beat her.

I think I will just have to find my way tomorrow. I will just have to try to play the game that's bothering her the most.

Q. I think the general feeling is that you're not going to have any more of those outward emotional outbursts. Listening to what you're saying, I'm not sure you would feel that way. Do you think you still might break a racquet?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, of course. Yeah, of course. It happens. You know, sometimes you need to do it. You cannot keep everything inside. If you're not happy about yourself, sometimes you need to break the racquet and move on.

If there is something inside of you that's stopping you from bringing the best out of the yourself, you need to scream at yourself, pump yourself up, break that racquet, I will do it if I know it will help me to perform better. Why not?

Q. You talked about international economic relations. If you win tomorrow, there will be quite an international economic happening. Will you be pleased with the money you earned? Secondly, can you imagine lifting the plate at the end?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, you know, first of all, I'm thinking about my match tomorrow. I really don't care about anything else. I think in my head right now it's about how I'm gonna go out there and how I'm gonna try to do my best.

Everything else around, I don't think about it.

Q. Why is it happening for you right now?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, I don't know. You know, I think sometimes it's hard work, sometimes it's experience, sometimes it's maturity, everything together. Maybe if you put all these things together, that will bring the results.

You know, it's very difficult to say why now and why not two years ago, why not if five years. I don't know what's gonna happen in the future. But I'm just trying to live in the moment. I'm trying to enjoy this moment and trying to do my best.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM   #6
country flag rucolo

Wimbledon, Final: Serena def. Vera 6-3 6-2

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...182883846.html

Quote:
Ladies' singles runner-up, V Zvonareva

Saturday, 3 July 2010

Q. You seemed overwhelmed by emotion understandably at the end. Can you put into perspective what it all meant to you?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, you know, I think it's great to be in the final, and think I will realize it later. But at the moment I think I'm still a bit disappointed with the performance today.

I think I could have ‑ not with the result but more the way I played ‑ I could have done better today. I did not show my best today, and it's a bit disappointing because it's the final. You know, you don't reach the Wimbledon final every day, so...

But overall, you know, Serena played really well. She didn't give me chances to get into the match.

Q. How difficult was it to deal with your frustrations during the match with the unforced errors?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I was not frustrated. I was just thinking about how to pump myself up to get out of it, to try to make those shots in.

The errors, yeah, maybe you can call them unforced errors. But you always take more risk against Serena because you know she's such a great mover and she can play a great defense.

So if you gonna take more risk, you will have to make more errors. And, uhm, I think she was lucky on a couple of occasions. She miss‑hit the ball and I didn't time it well. I missed it. Then I was a little bit ‑‑ I stopped going for my shots as much, and that's where she started playing her game.

Q. You said before the match that you had to stop her from dominating. How do you do that, and why is she so dominant?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, she's very powerful. She's very quick around the court, so it's very difficult to put her in defense right away. If you have to handle 120‑miles‑an‑hour serve and try to return it in a way to put her in defense, it's very difficult; it's not easy.

So you just have to find spots around the court and try to return the way that she ‑‑ you know, she's not in a great position. The same with the serve. You don't want to serve to her best shots so she cannot make her best returns.

I think today I was able, you know, to serve okay. Just those couple double‑faults, but it's nothing. Return, I was able to do the return. The most difficult were in the rallies where I didn't make the right choices at the right time. Maybe sometimes I went for too much and sometimes I didn't attack enough.

Q. Do you think she's beatable?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, of course she's beatable. She's a human being. She's not a machine. I mean, it's very difficult to beat her. You have to play your best. But, you know, if you do, you can do it.

Q. After being involved in the final today, how do you use that as motivation to go one step further in future slams?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, you know, first of all I'll be thinking about how to get to that final first and then to go one step more. But it was definitely good experience for me. You know, it's been a great week. Hopefully it can help me in the future, yeah.

Q. Can you describe her serve for us, what it's like facing her serve, what kind of spin she's using, those sorts of things.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, she can use different serves. She can hit flat and she can use what is very good on the grass, effective on the grass, is a slice serve wide where it's very difficult to return. Then, you know, you can cover one side, but then she can go flat very hard the other side.

So she always changes it. And the second serve she can put so much rotation in, so it's very difficult to attack it, as well.

I think I made a mistake today. I stepped back, and I should have been more aggressive on her second serve. But, you know, it's something that I will keep in my mind for the future.

Q. There are very few players who play both singles and doubles. You're in both finals. To what extent has your singles game improved by having played doubles?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, I want to think, yeah, that, you know, a little bit extra because I didn't have enough matches. I haven't played enough matches on the grass before I came here. That's why I wanted to play doubles as well.

Also here you have to be a little bit quicker in doubles more. You have to use more volleys. You have to come into the net. I think in this week it helped a little bit me playing singles.

Q. What was the whole experience of being in the final like? What was the morning like, the buildup, and how were you?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Just as usual. I didn't feel any pressure. I didn't feel any ‑‑ you know, I was not nervous. I was just trying to prepare myself the best I can.

I think today maybe would have gone to the third set with Serena I would have done maybe better. But, you know, I did not realize what I had to do, you know, on the court against her. I made some, I think, bad tactical choices, and that's why she was able to break me.

Q. Most people would be really intimidated being in their first final. You didn't look intimidated at all.

VERA ZVONAREVA: No, I was not. Maybe because I have enough experience behind my back for so many years. Yeah, maybe I never played in a Grand Slam final, but actually, I did a mixed doubles and doubles, and I think maybe that helps as well.

Yeah, for me it was just another match. But, uhm, yeah, I think it was very difficult for me to play my best today because she was just ‑‑ you know, she was better. I would make I think the right choice, and then she will make a really good get and a passing shot.

Then next time you feel like you have to go for even more, and then you start missing.

Q. Did you have to be persuaded to parade around with your trophy at the end? You didn't seem quite to know what to do.

VERA ZVONAREVA: No, they were just asking me if maybe you should go around to show your trophy. So that's what I did because ‑‑ well, they asked Serena before.

Q. If you had to characterize this tremendous two‑week run of yours, how in a word or two would you characterize?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, you know, I think I'm such a perfectionist that I wouldn't consider it as a fabulous result, because you know how I always want everything perfect.

Even if I lose, you know, I feel like I could have done better. Sometimes I can lose some matches and think that, Well, I did everything I can today, and it was better. But I think at the moment I'm still disappointed because I think I could have played better tennis.

But otherwise, you know, I think I was able to come through a lot of difficult matches for the past two weeks. And I think it should give me more confidence, you know, in myself, because in the beginning of the tournament I really didn't play great tennis.

My first two rounds, I was like, Well, I better be raising my level of my game for the third one if I want to be in the fourth round. I just kept working and I kept fighting for it. I really was able to do it.

The fourth round, that's where I started playing, you know, much better tennis.

Q. Does your drive for perfection help you in your career or is it sometimes a problem? Did you have any health issues before going into the final?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, well, I think the perfectionism is something that can help you and something that can destroy you, as well. I think now I know how to handle my perfectionism better. I know that, you know, if I haven't done better today, I will try to do it tomorrow. I want everything perfect, so I know I will keep working hard.

But maybe earlier in my career I wanted everything perfect and everything perfect right now, and if it doesn't work right now, then I will get so angry with myself, you know.

But, yeah, health issues, not really. I just got a little bit sick. I lost my voice. But it's something, you know, that's not a big deal.

Q. Of all the weapons that you've seen other players have, how would you describe Serena Williams' first serve as a weapon?

VERA ZVONAREVA: As a weapon? Well, it's something that, I don't know, it's hard to describe. It's just something that's putting the opponents always in trouble. Like, you know, she uses it the way that, you know, Okay, I'm going to try to return; I'm going to try to stay aggressive.

But if you don't break her, it's also putting pressure on your serve because you know that, Well, I better be winning this game, otherwise she's gonna hold hers.

So it's not only the weapon like a shot weapon; it's also like maybe in a way a mental weapon that she's so confident in it that she knows that she can take more risk and she can go more on the returns. Even if she's not returning well, she can go for it because she can rely on her serve the next game.
Great tournament, Vera.
She can be really proud of reaching Wimbledon final.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #7
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Vera Zvonareva caught up with Maria Kirilenko Wednesday in Cincinnati, fighting back from 2-5 in the third set to win 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 (3) and reach the third round. Two days earlier we caught up with Zvonareva on her Wimbledon final, being emotional on court, growing up, and, yes, her attractive new coach.
Do you think of yourself differently after having been in the Wimbledon final?
In my mind I always knew I can be there. I always believed in myself. I just feel like I got that extra experience and I was able to go through some tough matches. And I was actually able to play seven matches in a row. It was the first time I had to play seven matches in a row in one tournament. It was just a great experience for me. Now I’m just looking forward. Hopefully I can improve my game a little bit and it will help me to go to the last stages of the Grand Slams every time I play.
Did playing Serena Williams, the best in the game, in a Grand Slam final make the experience even more special for you?
She’s definitely a great champion, and it’s definitely hard to play against her, especially in those finals. She’s so experienced and is able to go on the court and play those matches like she’s so relaxed, like it’s [the] first round or something. That’s what I will have to learn. Next time, if I will get the chance to be in the final of a Grand Slam, I will have to put everything out of my head and to play it like it’s my first match, to forget all that attention you’re getting by being in the final.
Serena hit 19 aces in two of her matches at Wimbledon. Did you go into the final expecting her to hit a lot of aces?
No, I never think this way. I actually thought that I’m a good returner, so if she can do it against me, that’s good for her. But otherwise I will make her go even for more. If she wants to ace me, well, she has to go for more. But I’m going to try to guess every serve and be there. No, I was just thinking about what should I do tactically to beat her: How should I hit that shot so she doesn’t hit her favorite shots? How do I make her more vulnerable on the court compared to previous matches?
Some players might get tight because they maybe don’t believe they can do it. For me it’s [the] opposite. I believe in myself so much, and I believe I can do it. Because I believe so much, I put more pressure on myself. Even if I’m losing 6-0, 5-0, I still believe I can win that match. Most players don’t in that situation. Maybe that’s why sometimes for me it’s tougher to come back—because I cannot relax. I keep fighting and keep fighting and sometimes I’m never relaxed on the court.
You get a lot of questions about being emotional on court. Does it bother you?
Yeah, sometimes if you’re tired, it feels like people always ask the same thing. It feels like they remember one match from, like, five years ago and they keep talking about it all the time. But that’s fine if they want to ask me this question. The most important thing is that I know I’m much more mature and experienced right now, I know how to manage myself. There are times, when I’m too tired, it’s much more difficult. You’re squeezed like a lemon—you cannot get anything out of yourself. But otherwise I know that if I put my mind into it, I know how to manage myself. Now I have so much experience, and I can always rely on that experience in the tough situations. And if people want to talk about emotions, they can talk about it. That’s fine.
How are things working out with your new coach?
So far so good. He’s a young coach, but…
Is he younger than you?
No, he’s my age, a bit older, but [around] my age. He was a player himself, so he knows about tennis a lot. It takes time to trust someone, but we talk about my game much more than in the beginning. I think he’s able to point a few things out much more now. He feels much more comfortable, he understands my game much better now. Coach cannot give to the players everything right away, because they have to learn—[with] some players you have to be gentle, some players you have to be more aggressive. It depends on the player’s personality. So coach has to find ways and keys to give you right direction. I mean, we’ve all been playing tennis for the past 20 years. We all know how to play. It’s the coach’s job to give a little direction, to point out things he thinks may not help you during the match or he thinks are helping you during the match, so you’re able to use those things to your advantage more during the matches. So in the crucial moments you’re able to make the right choices, you’re able to go for the right serves, you’re able to go for the right shots. He’s getting much more comfortable. He’s seeing my game much better now. So we’ll see—no pressure on that. We’ll work together, and we’ll see where it’s going to take us.
Did you know that he has quite a fan club? The women seem to really like him.
No [laughs]. I don’t follow all that.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #8
pav

pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute

Good interview,thanks for posting, like the bit Bepa doesn't know about the coach being attractive
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #9
country flag rucolo

Cincinnati, R2:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=65472

http://assets.usta.com/assets/663/15...%2011%2010.pdf

Quote:
August 11, 2010

Vera Zvonareva

CINCINNATI, OHIO

V. ZVONAREVA/M. Kirilenko
7-5, 2-6, 7-6

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What happened to your game after the first set? Second set was difficult, and then all the weather delays in the third. Talk a little bit about that.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I think the first set was very close and very tough. I believe that the second and third set they were also very close. Just one of those matches I think that the score doesn't really reflect what's going on in the court.
In the second set I was down 5-2, but I felt like there are only couple of points and I could have been up 5-2. So I just had to hang in there, especially with all those conditions. We started when it was very, very hot and humid, and then wind came. It got a bit windy and cloudy.
Then the rain delay, then you have to warm up, go back, and then it's hot again, humid. You know, all those conditions, they didn't make it very easy on the court. I think we both had some ups and downs in our games.
But I'm very happy the way I came back in the third set to win it from 5-2 down.

Q. How much of a factor was your confidence? You played her three times before and won all three matches. The weather comes, you're down 5-2 in the third. How much of a factor did that play in your ability to come from behind today?
VERA ZVONAREVA: You know, I was not thinking about it. I was just concentrating on my own game. I was trying to think, What do I have to do to beat my opponent today? I was not really thinking about the scores. I knew if I can come up with a good game, there is a good chance I can turn the match around or I can win it.
I always believe in myself. It was just a matter of me trying to think through what was I doing wrong, and maybe my shot selection wasn't perfect. So I just had to really put my mind into it and just to think about every shot that I'm hitting to make sure I'm hitting the right shot and going for my shots and not waiting for her to miss.

Q. Were you a lot more aggressive in the third set? It seemed to me like after the last rain delay you were far more aggressive at the end of the match than in the beginning.
VERA ZVONAREVA: I think was executing my shots better. I think there were moments in the second set, third set, where I was not going for my shots, maybe trying to be a little bit patient, and maybe not putting that much pressure on her.
I know if I play my game I can beat anyone on the other side of the net. So I had to come up and be a little bit more aggressive than before.

Q. During the delays today, did you talk with your coach about changing your strategies?
VERA ZVONAREVA: He gave me couple of tips, but the most important thing was to keep going for my shots no matter what. It's not this change my style of game or anything.
You know, I think I was losing the second set and the third set -- like I said, there were only couple of points, but maybe because I was not brave enough to go for my shots. I was just trying to maybe wait a little bit maybe for her to miss or something instead of playing my game.
So he just told me basically just got to play my game. That's it. That's what I was trying to do in the third set.

Q. After what happened to you with the ankle in Charleston, do you get more worried about conditions on the court after a rain delay?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Um, well, you can't think about it. You know, I think I'm over it. There were -- of course I was struggling a little bit during the clay court season because I think I still had worries about the court. Clay you have to slide a lot, so I was very careful and maybe was not perfect with my movement.
But hardcourts, you know, it's a hardcourt. You can control your movement. Of course if it gets slippery or if it's raining, you have to stop. I'm not gonna continue. I'm gonna be more careful about it if it's a little bit wet and we know we can slide on the lines. I'm not gonna go for it.
Other than that, when the court is dry, you got to play. Nobody is ensured against the injuries. You never know. When you are out there and you try to put 100% in it and full effort, if you think about your injuries or something, you're not gonna be able to do it and play your best game.

Q. At Wimbledon I felt like you were sliding more than a lot of players usually do. Seemed like semi-clay. Did you feel that way?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, I always slide.

Q. On grass?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, on any surface, even on the hardcourts, on the grass courts. And actually I'm surprised, because I think I was sliding on the grass court more than I was doing it on the clay court. So that's something to work on for the next year.

Q. Did you think you would have been able to win this match if not for the rain delay at 5-2?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I don't know. I always believe in myself. For me, doesn't matter if I'm down 6-Love, 5-Love, I still believe I can win it. I just have to think about what I'm gonna do next.
Maybe the rain delay helped; maybe not. It's hard to say.

Q. What parts of your game are you really happy with today, and what parts do you really want to focus on and improve not only to go deep in this tournament, but to have a good run at the Open.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Definitely have to be consistent, and I will definitely need to play my game a little bit more instead of having doubts in my head, Oh, maybe I should do this and this. I should make one decision at a time. Sometimes it feels like I'm making three decisions, and then I don't know which shot I want to hit. I just have to build my game slowly to where I want it to be on the hardcourts.
And of course those serves. A little bit too many double faults. That's what I need to improve, the serve consistency for my next match.

Q. When you were coming back in the third set after the second rain delay, what was really running through your mind?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Not much. Like I said earlier, I just wanted to -- I knew that I have to play my game at that point. That no matter what the score is, I just got to go out there and go for my shots. That's basically what I told myself, and that's what I was trying to execute on the court.

Q. Have you ever needed longer to finish a match? It was like six hours and 15 minutes.
VERA ZVONAREVA: I think it was the longest one.

Q. Was it?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah. Well, sometimes the rain delay can -- well, sometimes matches are delayed for the next day. But like going back and forth on the court, yeah, I think that was the longest one.

Q. The longest in one day?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah.

Q. You think you play Flavia Pennetta next. What are your thoughts on playing her?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Oh, she's a great player. She showed a great form last week, and it's gonna be very difficult, tough challenge for me. We played few times last year; always very close matches. You know, just I haven't thought about it yet. You just told me who I'm playing next anyway, so... (laughter.)
Yeah, you know, we will see tomorrow. I think I will have the same mindset: just to go out there and try to play my game and just try to have one decision in my mind and not to have too many decisions. That's it.

End of FastScripts

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #10
pav

pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute

Love this bit
Q. When you were coming back in the third set after the second rain delay, what was really running through your mind?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Not much.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #11
country flag Goldfrapp

Goldfrapp is a glorious beacon of light Goldfrapp is a glorious beacon of light Goldfrapp is a glorious beacon of light Goldfrapp is a glorious beacon of light Goldfrapp is a glorious beacon of light Goldfrapp is a glorious beacon of light Goldfrapp is a glorious beacon of light Goldfrapp is a glorious beacon of light Goldfrapp is a glorious beacon of light Goldfrapp is a glorious beacon of light Goldfrapp is a glorious beacon of light

http://tennis.sport-express.ru/reviews/7545/

no kremlin cup this year?
Goldfrapp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #12
country flag rucolo

Montreal, R3:

Quote:
August 18, 2010

VERA ZVONAREVA / Agnes SZAVAY
6-3, 6-3

Interview with:
VERA ZVONAREVA

JOURNALIST: Do you feel you’ve been cruising through this tournament?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Actually, I don’t think so. It always looks easier from the side than it is on the court. I’ve played against two tough opponents... It was not easy for me out there, but I think I managed it quite well. I think I played the way I was supposed to play... I was trying my best on the court and it worked for me.

Q. You may be facing Kim Clijsters in the final. You’ve had your trouble with her in the past...
VERA ZVONAREVA: Definitely, Kim, she is a great player. I think we always had tough matches, a lot of three-setters or very tough ones, but I never managed to beat her before, and finally at Wimbledon, I was able to play very consistently and managed to beat her. I always believe in myself and believe I could beat anyone on the other side of the net. You have to come out there and not only know the game plan, but to be able to execute it. It is very important to play your best to beat someone in the quarter finals in such a big event.

Q. What do you think you are doing well in this tournament?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I think I am a little more consistent and a little bit more relaxed than in the previous tournaments. For me it is always hard to (adapt to) the surface and the transition between the surfaces. This week I feel a lot better. I am playing the game that I am supposed to play on the hard courts.

Q. Why do you play doubles? A lot of top players don’t.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Sometimes when you want to play those extra points, it is always good, especially with the double match formats... I enjoy my time on the court, and I have a great doubles partner. We talk, we chat, we laugh about stupid mistakes. In singles you are a little more intense and you are alone, but in doubles you support each other.

Q: How do you find the courts here? Do you find them different from Cincinnati?
VERA ZVONAREVA: They’re good. I like them so far. Pretty similar. The balls are different, but the surface has been pretty consistent.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #13
country flag rucolo

Rain in Montreal:

Quote:
August 22, 2010

Interview with:
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA & VERA ZVONAREVA

JOURNALIST: How was your day?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I had the best day in my life. We were competing in soccer. Who kicks the most amounts in a row. I was losing to Vickie so I couldn’t stand it so I had to beat her up. I ended up taking forever but I did manage to (win). That’s it, and the other most popular thing today in the players’ lounge was the computer and the I-Phone.
VERA ZVONAREVA: I slept through everything. I don’t even know what happened in the players’ lounge. I just woke up, like an hour ago... I was catching up on sleep

Q. Is it difficult to wait and wait when it rains like this?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: We went out to the court and we were almost ready to play and to serve and the rain started to go again. It’s hard. You warm up ten times a day and you are ready to play. It’s hard to be on and off.
VERA ZVONAREVA: It’s difficult for everyone, to keep your concentration, you are relaxed and then you have to warm up and when they tell you they are going to dry up the courts. You wait, and then nothing. They dry the courts again. You warm up again, you change your clothes. It rains. You go back. You have to go change again. You don’t know what’s going to happen.
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I took all my clean clothes with me. I took everything I had in my room.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah we have, like eight outfits with us.

Q. How much time do you need to warm up?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Today was better. I came to the court and it was raining and then it stopped. The match was scheduled at 11, so I came at 10 and hit the balls until 10:30 and the it stopped, we had lunch, others slept (and) did other things. And then two times we did warm up and we are almost ready to go on.
VERA ZVONAREVA: My day started early, I booked the car at 7:45 because I wanted to have an early warm up and warm up for 45 minutes before I went on the court. I was actually able to hit for 45 minutes. The court was wet but I was still able to get the practice in. For hitting, it was OK this morning. Then another 30 minutes of warm up to try to get ready.
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: She had the advantage. She warmed up more than anybody today.
VERA ZVONAREVA: I was running on the treadmill with Caroline. We ran together. I don’t know where you were. You were probably playing soccer.

Q: Two full days of waiting. Can you remember in your careers waiting that long due to weather?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Not for me.
VERA ZVONAREVA: No, I don’t think so. Actually, yes, I remember, it was at Wimbledon three or four years ago, I was waiting to play my mixed doubles match. We were able to finish the tournament in time. The doubles match, it was the men’s double and it went into the fifth set. We were supposed to play at the end of the first week and we ended up playing on Friday of the second week.

Q. How are you able to stay so positive? I mean, we’re grumpy over here.
VERA ZVONAREVA: We are not in a rush. We are here, we are going to New York next week.
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: We have one week. We prefer to have two days holiday just to go to New York and do some fun stuff. Instead we spend two days in the players’ lounge. Everyone is disappointed but there is only one way to look at it positive. It is good that we don’t have to play next week. This is very good for us.
VERA ZVONAREVA: It’s hard on fans. All the fans who came to watch tennis, they wait, they want to see us play. We play in tournaments every week. We are used to it, it’s our job. We have to wait and see. It’s very difficult for fans. We saw a lot of people walking with umbrellas. I think all the players appreciate them coming to try and watch tennis. It is very important for us for the people who come to support us during the semi finals and finals. The fans have been great all week, supportive of all the players. We can only imagine how disappointing it was for them.
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I think we will have a prize for the best fans who stayed in the stadium. It was a very big effort and it’s nice to see how they appreciate this game.

Q: What is the plan for the locker room before the game if it rains tomorrow? A soccer game?
VICTORIA AZARENKO: I doubt that you will find a smile on our faces if we meet here again tomorrow afternoon. Let’s cross our fingers and hope that we play tomorrow.

Q. The rain is scheduled to stop at exactly 10 a.m. tomorrow. That’s the hourly forecast.
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I think if it was to happen in Moscow, we would have a huge vent, they would do someting to stop the rain forever. They have special planes to move the clouds away. That is why it never rains in Moscow.
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: That is why if you plan your vacation, come to Moscow in August.
The 4 players in SF did interviews:
Vera/Kuznetsova did one interview together, the other was Azarenka/Wozniacki.

No idea why there is a Victoria Azarenko in this interview.
And 2 Kuznetsovas in the end.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #14
country flag rucolo

Montreal, Final:

Quote:
August 23, 2010

Caroline WOZNIACKI / Vera ZVONAREVA
6-3, 6-2

Interview with:
VERA ZVONAREVA

JOURNALIST: How different was it playing on centre court?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, it was a different atmosphere, a different court and it was a bit more windy. It was just difficult for me to keep my concentration out there. I played my first match and even though I know it was only one set and unfortunately Vickie had to retire, it was a tough set and we spent pretty much the same time on the court... Yeah, I think it was difficult preparing myself to play against (Victoria) the past couple of days. Vickie and Caroline have absolute different styles of game. Playing the final felt like I was playing a semi final... just totally, in my head, I was not in the final, and then I got so frustrated with myself that I couldnít concentrate because playing against such a good player like Caroline, that makes you play a lot of balls, you have to keep your concentration level very high and it just wasnít there today.

Q. How tough was it for you dealing with the weather yesterday, and playing today?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I think it was not that tough. We didnít even start our match. It is always more difficult when you go on the court and you start a couple of games and then you have to go... the waiting was not that difficult. It was more difficult to play two matches in one day, like today. Itís not only physically, I am no physically tired at the moment, it was more... about the concentration thing, itís very difficult to refocus yourself from one thing to another. That was my biggest challenge. Some players are easy to focus, but for me I give it all, I put so much concentration on the court, like in the first match. I give it all, and then I have to come back and start over again. I had never had the experience of playing two singles matches in one day in my career, so that was difficult for me.

Q. At 5-3 in the first set, what was your analysis of that moment?
VERA ZVONAREVA: She came up with a couple of good serves, so there was nothing wrong that I did. I went for my shot and I think there were a couple of mistakes, where I lost my concentration and I wanted, for example to go cross court, like I had used in the previous matches, and then I remembered for this match I had to go down the line. If I could keep my concentration up, the match would have been different. I am not sure if I would have won the match, but it would have been different. My (concentration lapses) gave the match to Caroline, I think.

Q. Talk a little bit about this week, winning important matches against tough opponents. Does this build up your confidence as you prepare for the U.S. Open?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, I was just trying to concentrate on one match a time, just trying to be in this tournament, trying to get a lot of matches. I always start slow on the hard court season and it was difficult for me the past couple of seasons. I was finally able to come up with good tennis this week. I know what I have to work on and I will be happy to be back on the court and improve a little bit for the Open. Everyone is going to raise the level of their game and they will be at their best for the Open.

Q: You feel as a favourite for the U.S. open?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I donít know. I never look at the statistics. I never read any odds. I just believe in myself. Any tournament that I am coming to I know I can win it. It doesnít matter who is in the draw, I never look at the list of players who are in it, it doesnít matter for me. I just always believe in myself and I always believe that I can beat anyone on the other side of the net, if I am able to play my best tennis. Itís just a matter if I am able to produce and able to play my best on that day. I still think I have to take it one match at a time. Womenís tennis has very tough competition right now. Everyone is fighting from the first round.

Q. At the end you seemed frustrated with your racquet?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I was having some issues with the racquets. The throat pieces, they keep breaking. If they break, my string always breaks in the throat of the racquet and then you cannot see if it is broken, and when you hit the ball it goes off. We are trying to fix the issue. Itís small things, but weíll fix it. In the first match it broke three times. I know some other players were having the same problem. It doesnít change anything about the game, but...

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #15
country flag PersephoneDisco
Because She's Worth It

PersephoneDisco has a brilliant future PersephoneDisco has a brilliant future PersephoneDisco has a brilliant future PersephoneDisco has a brilliant future PersephoneDisco has a brilliant future PersephoneDisco has a brilliant future PersephoneDisco has a brilliant future PersephoneDisco has a brilliant future PersephoneDisco has a brilliant future PersephoneDisco has a brilliant future PersephoneDisco has a brilliant future

Sergey's interview from the Times. That photo is worth the £1 fee alone.

Quote:
Sergei Demekhine is blessed with the looks that might have brought a respectable modelling contract, but it is as the coach to the new No 2 player in women’s tennis that he expects to be judged.
And he is sensible enough to know that the minute Vera Zvonareva decides that she would be better suited with another face in her corner, his chiselled features will not save him.
As the best eight players fit enough to contend for the WTA Championships seek to find the edge that can secure the prestige attached to such a title, a word or a gesture here or there could make all the difference.
In her 38 matches since teaming up with someone she had first known as an 11-year-old in Russian junior squads, Zvonareva has lost ten, reached two grand-slam tournament finals and not dropped a set in her first two matches in the white group here.
It all points to the continuation of a beautiful friendship, one that may be more than simply skin deep. Demekhine admits that he has no specific qualifications and senses, yes, there are those in a sport of many wicked whispers who think he has the job on account of his face, rather than any scientific genius he can impart.
“They say, how can I be a coach when I was only 673 in the world?” Demekhine said. “But that was as far as I could go with my career because I could not fund myself any higher. I was playing money events in Italy to permit me to travel to tournaments around the world and then came the opportunity to help out some players. I do not think I could do any better.”
First, Anastasia Pivovarova (the present world No 126) contacted Demekhine and when that partnership ended, he went on to assist Alla Kudryavtseva (No 58), who obviously felt a bit isolated the moment that Zvonareva joined them to form a trio travelling the world this spring.
When Kudryavtseva decided that three was company, it became the Vera and Sergei Show. In a short period of time they have journeyed to the finals of both Wimbledon and the US Open and, this week, to the highest ranking of her career.
Zvonareva defeated Victoria Azarenka, of Belarus — who was only confirmed in the Championships last week — 7-6, 6-4 and has one leg in the semi-finals. She was a bit raggedy at times yesterday but is managing to find a way to win more often than not.
The humidity here had returned with a vengeance. Azarenka complained afterwards that she simply could not grip her racket well enough and every time she unwrapped a different towel it was wet through by the subsequent changeover. Zvonareva kept the game simple, which is exactly how Demekhine says it ought to be played.
“I see so many coaches come up with complications for their players,” he said. “They are trying too hard to sell the product, which is themselves.
“With Vera, it is a case of keeping the psychology simple and I understand the Russian mentality that knows what she wants and how she is going to get it, even if it isn’t always the right way.”
Was not modelling potentially a more stable environment? As he was the face of Abercrombie & Fitch in Russia, one would think so, but Demekhine grew tired of the world he was frequenting.
“They did not judge you as a person, but as a picture,” he said. “That is the difference. Everything in life has to be 100 per cent for me and I wasn’t interested enough in that.”
A few tough words were required for Kim Clijsters after her 6-2, 6-3 victory over Jelena Jankovic, for there were inevitable signs of rust after her first match since defeating Zvonareva in the final in New York. Too often, the Belgian allowed 40-15 leads to dissolve into deuce games against a player who was hanging on by the skin of her teeth.
Caroline Wozniacki’s coronation as the year-ending No 1 was delayed for a day at least when Sam Stosur became the first player this year to defeat two players holding that ranking. The Australian, who had beaten Serena Williams in the quarter-finals at Roland Garros, yesterday thumped the Dane 6-4, 6-3.
PersephoneDisco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote