Sacha Jones now an Aussie - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 28th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #16
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future
Re: Sacha Jones now an Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana View Post
takes an Auckland MDWC.
Is there another Kiwi who might 'deserve' one and not be completely embarrassed out there?

Surely not one of those who lost something like 1-6 1-6 to Jones or Baker in the SF of the NZ nationals?
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 28th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #17
country flag scottsue

scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of

I highly doubt she will get an AO MD WC. Bojana Bobusic is more deserving and has posted more impressive recent results. I think Sacha's move is a good one for her and for Australian tennis but I do understand how hurtful this must be for NZ tennis.
scottsue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 03:21 AM   #18
country flag jack21

jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold

Happy to have another potential top 100 player for Australia but I would have prefered her to stay in NZ. If she and Marina both established themselves as top level players it could have started a bit of a revolution in NZ tennis.

Kinda crappy of her to still accept a WC for Auckland, I take it that TNZ knew that she was considering a move but maybe they thought that by showing good faith and giving her the WC they could change her mind.

Jarmila Gajdosova, Ash Barty, Olivia Rogowska, Naiktha Bains

Lucie Safarova, Daniela Hantuchova, Kristina Mladenovic, Sabine Lisicki
jack21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #19
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, a little bit of a surprise. I chatted to Sacha and her brother GD the other day. They were in Auckland training, and I knew GD from the juniors, we were in the same training squad. I guess if you have the eligibility to become Australian it's reasonable, although disappointing as a Kiwi. That's the problem with tennis in NZ, we just don't have the resources and we also don't have enough tournaments of any level in NZ, including futures- hardly any. The situation is actually becoming worse. We used to have maybe 3 ITF futures? I think we now have no mens' ITF futures in NZ and one womens' one. Awful. We had maybe 7 money tournaments (not enough) and now we have 2, maybe 3 a year. How can you develop players without tournaments? And it's not like in Europe, where they can easily play tournaments in neighbouring countries.

So I can't hold it against her. She's been struggling in the last year or two a bit and probably feels this is necessary to give herself the best chance to make it.

There are a lot of good Aussie players so if she would get anything, I suppose it would be an AO Qualy WC.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Auckland should award more wildcards to local players, especially in qualies. I don't care if they get killed. Because the biggest problem for NZ players is the lack of exposure to a really high level of play. Anyway, wildcards are often beaten badly. It's common and not a big deal.

I'm not sure whether I would withdraw the Auckland WC if I was in charge or not. I know the Joneses so I'm not impartial though. But I can understand those who want it withdrawn. If this was another country I think the WC would be withdrawn when the news came out, and the wildcard would be awarded to someone else.

I wish I had the money to set up lots of futures tournaments and also more money tournaments in NZ, along with some serious tennis academies. The money tournaments should be like the Aussie ones. Big draws, accept pretty much everyone who wants to play, put them in qualies or whatever. Not like the silly NZ ones, which give the seeds about 4 byes and accept only a handful of players. Attract the players from Australasia and give locals more opportunities to mix with them. Players in NZ, once they are no longer in the juniors, have hardly any tournaments to play locally and few resources to train with. This is just another example of what happens when players aren't getting enough support and help from their federation. Ellen Barry retiring early was another example of that, I think. It's tough though, it seems like maybe we just don't have the money to support them. Either that or someone's making bad decisions.

Last edited by HowardH : Dec 28th, 2011 at 03:36 AM.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 03:28 AM   #20
country flag Chris93

Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold

Hopfully she doesnt get a MD WC. She cant just change to Australia a few weeks before the Oz Open and expected to be handed a WC.
Sharapova ~ Li ~ Kerber ~ Kvitova ~ Kirilenko ~ Ivanovic ~ Stephens ~ Makarova ~ Safarova ~ Cirstea ~ Goerges ~ Cornet ~ Lisicki ~ Robson ~ Watson ~ Kanepi ~ Keys ~ Tsurenko ~ Wozniak ~ Puig ~ Oudin ~ Petkovic ~ Sevastova ~ Rezai

AND OF COURSE ALL THE AUSSIES!!!
Chris93 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #21
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of

Stoked.
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #22
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbal View Post
Hopfully she doesnt get a MD WC. She cant just change to Australia a few weeks before the Oz Open and expected to be handed a WC.
Surely she wont. Bella and Bojana are ranked higher and in better form. Qualy wildcard is fine with me

Maria SHARAPOVA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
petey_pan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #23
country flag scottsue

scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of

I am happy with the qualifying wild card too!
scottsue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #24
country flag grandslam1959

grandslam1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

So more to this than meets the eye. Typical New Zealand set up where the players dictate and throw a dummy spit ,usually they change coaches but I guess this is real extreme change your country.Australians will not get much benefit , not sure what Jones thinks she will get. I mean she did win the residential last week defeating veteran and former tour player Leanne Baker. Both beat New Zealand s best juniors on route ...future not great with those results... I am sure this change of country by Jones will have some interesting press locally in New Zealand.
grandslam1959 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #25
country flag Chris93

Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold

How did she throw a "dummy spit" and over what? She held dual citzentship for both countires and she chose Australia obviouslly because we have better resources for tennis then New Zeland.
Sharapova ~ Li ~ Kerber ~ Kvitova ~ Kirilenko ~ Ivanovic ~ Stephens ~ Makarova ~ Safarova ~ Cirstea ~ Goerges ~ Cornet ~ Lisicki ~ Robson ~ Watson ~ Kanepi ~ Keys ~ Tsurenko ~ Wozniak ~ Puig ~ Oudin ~ Petkovic ~ Sevastova ~ Rezai

Old Dec 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbal View Post
How did she throw a "dummy spit" and over what? She held dual citzentship for both countires and she chose Australia obviouslly because we have better resources for tennis then New Zeland.
Spend the Money that TA must be going to give her on getting more kids into the sport, better money spent than someone who is around 270 and 21 years of age. And yes Tennis Australia does have better resources do you really think however this player is worthy and has the potential to reach the top 100 , wow how tennis has slipped this side of the world when you get excited about someone being ranked 100.Waste of money !
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #27
country flag Chris93

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslam1959 View Post
Spend the Money that TA must be going to give her on getting more kids into the sport, better money spent than someone who is around 270 and 21 years of age. And yes Tennis Australia does have better resources do you really think however this player is worthy and has the potential to reach the top 100 , wow how tennis has slipped this side of the world when you get excited about someone being ranked 100.Waste of money !
Im guessing you have never seen her play she does have potential to be top 100. Bet you werent saying this when Rodionova and Gajdosova changed!

Old Dec 28th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #28
country flag dok-stos

dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all

Good luck to her
I hope it helps her career.
dok-stos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #29

I am familiar with Jones and her results, here is a link so you can be also
http://www.itftennis.com/womens/play...ayer=100040988
Hardly a comparison with Rodionova and Gajdosova and as I said TA needs to direct funding to locals and development programs, time will tell , I hope your wise judgement of potential top 100 players are correct..............me thinks not however.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #30
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
Hmm, a little bit of a surprise. I chatted to Sacha and her brother GD the other day. They were in Auckland training, and I knew GD from the juniors, we were in the same training squad. I guess if you have the eligibility to become Australian it's reasonable, although disappointing as a Kiwi. That's the problem with tennis in NZ, we just don't have the resources and we also don't have enough tournaments of any level in NZ, including futures- hardly any. The situation is actually becoming worse. We used to have maybe 3 ITF futures? I think we now have no mens' ITF futures in NZ and one womens' one. Awful. We had maybe 7 money tournaments (not enough) and now we have 2, maybe 3 a year. How can you develop players without tournaments? And it's not like in Europe, where they can easily play tournaments in neighbouring countries.

So I can't hold it against her. She's been struggling in the last year or two a bit and probably feels this is necessary to give herself the best chance to make it.

There are a lot of good Aussie players so if she would get anything, I suppose it would be an AO Qualy WC.
Great post As you've outlined this is much more than a AO MD WC and more about NZ Tennis!!

Sacha understandably feels that she is treading water and needs to make a change. Im sure TA did not lure her with a carrot of $$$$, but more like Sacha looking to enter a system that has some sort of support structure for their top players. NZ unfortunately does not have such a system.

Pity because they have had enough talent the last couple of years to have a top 200 tour presence - Vano, Barry, Hollands etc... and one hopes that Westbury and Fanning don't travel the same path as these players. They dont seem to have a federation that is prepared to put together funds and support for their players. Pulling out Fed Cup teams and denying their top 60 player a chance to play the Olympics shows a lack of committment.

Or maybe Tennis NZ aren't concerned and are wishing Sacha well Or maybe if the sport isnt netball or rugby its no big deal