Favourite Arantxa match/moment? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:43 PM   #1
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
Favourite Arantxa match/moment?

I know not everyone is as big an Arantxa fan as me, but on the day she retires, just thought i would see what Arantxa fans favourite matches and memories are throughout her 17 year career.

My favourite tournament was the 1998 French Open - the great fightback against Serena, beating Lindsay in the semis, and one of her best fighting performances against Monica.

Other fave moments - of course her grand slam wins, 2000 Wimbledon where i was at courtside when she saved matchpoints to beat Nacuk, this year's Hopman Cup, beating Hingis last year and loads more!

Adios Arantxa and Good Luck

Last edited by raquel : Nov 14th, 2002 at 04:51 PM.
raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:48 PM   #2
country flag DEETHELICK

DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute
My favourite moment was when Arantxa beat Hingis last year at AI.

She was so focused and intense, and had the perfect game plan. Neither lady was gona blow the other off the court, so the match was about true guile, wits and skill.

Arantxa just completely left Hingis speechless, with her dropshots, net attack and precise groundies.

I hadn't seen Arantxa that fired up in a long time, and she was hungry!

Have a good life Arantxa

I also liked her match against Monica this year at Indian Wells. What a match, she really took it to Monica and could have won that match too (she was up a break in the 3rd). Arantxa had so many weapons at her disposal then, as Monica and her power were unable to hit through Arantxa. Their exchange at the net was very nice too
Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:53 PM   #3
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
Definitely the 98 French Open final as mentioned..showed SO much heart and spirit the whole tournament..nobody would've thought that Arantxa would've made the final but it was a perfect example in that u should NEVER count Arantxa out for anything! The Fed Cup against the U.S. that year was a great one too.

More of my fave moments was her 89 French final win, everything that Steffi gave to her she would hit it back and it frustrated Steffi in that match, it was one of few matches in Steffi's career that I actually thought her opponent had more endurance then her in a match! Only being 17, Arantxa shocked the entire world.
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:53 PM   #4
country flag JonBcn
Tart with a Heart

JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute
There are so many...

Coming back in the 1994 US Open final against a rampant Graf might just be my favourite...I still watch that match from time, and also their classic Wimbledon final...I missed most of the important points of that 5-5 game that went on for 20 minutes because I had a pillow over my face for most of it!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:20 PM   #5
country flag JasonW

JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light
98 French Semifinal against Serena Williams, coming back from such a deficit for reasons us Arantxa fans know, and fighting until she prevailed.
Also, the 98 French Final....A classic!!!!!!!

Visit http://www.ludorock.com Ludo is the next big band!!!
JasonW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:23 PM   #6
country flag anabel

anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all
Was not a semifinal JasonW, it was just a 4th round i think.

My best memories....hmm maybe when she won the French Open 98... at those days i never though i would see Arantxa winning a GS again... and she made the miracle.

But today i have seen so many moments of her career.... and it's just so difficult to pick one, cause her career is full of great results and memories.

anabel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2002, 10:58 PM   #7
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
98 French; and the 95[?] Wimbledon, where it was 5-5 in the 3rd. the long game!

Mostly, I love that Arantxa was always a class act on and off the court. She always gave others credit, and she was a gracious loser. She is a class act.

Blessing Arantxa! I hope to hear you commentating soon!
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:55 AM   #8
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
I'll never forgive Aranxta for that '98 French Open win over Monica.

However, her GS titles were all major fights in the finals. That showed true courage. 7-5 in the 3rd in 1989, 6-4,6-4 over Pierce in FO'94, 6-4 in the 3rd against Steffi and 7-6,0-6,6-2 over Monica at RG in 1998.

Most people don't seem to remember that she was the first player to beat both the Williams Sisters back-to-back. She did it in Sydney in 1998, Steffi did it in Sydney in 1999, Martina did it in Melbourne in 2001 and now Kim in L.A in 2002.
Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:02 AM   #9
selesrules

selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Also Arantxa has a winning record against Serena, Davenport and Capriati.
selesrules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:20 AM   #10
country flag PamShriverRockz

PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute
Favourite Arantxa moment?!?! Omg, I have about 100

I've seen so many great Arantxa matches over the years....highlights:
89 RG obviously. Quite an achievement to beat Graf when ehe was only 17.
94 USO - Being match point down and beating Graf too. Probably her best.
Wimby 95 - Wonderful match and for personal reasons very special to me
When Arantxa ran away with Steffi's trophy

Countless other matches and funny moments
"Her enduring legacy is far more emotional, instead of statistical..."

"To watch Arantxa Sanchez Vicario play tennis was to rediscover the reason why we fell in love with the game in the first place."
PamShriverRockz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:28 AM   #11
country flag ASV
Team WTAworld

ASV is a name known to all ASV is a name known to all ASV is a name known to all ASV is a name known to all ASV is a name known to all ASV is a name known to all ASV is a name known to all ASV is a name known to all ASV is a name known to all ASV is a name known to all ASV is a name known to all
my favorite moment was in the french open 2000.

playing schett. lost second set 0-6. fell down during point. got up and hit a winner down the line with her LEFT HAND. that shows determination.

i can't bear to watch tennis without arantxa. it will be too hard for me.
Highlights:1986(1) – Athens², 1988(1) – Belgian Open*, 1989(2)Roland Garros*, Barcelona*, 1990(7) – Barcelona*, Newport*, Hilton Head², Amelia Island², Tampa², Barcelona², Roland Garros§, 1991(4) – Washington, DC*, Sydney², Amelia Island², Barcelona², 1992(13)– Miami*, Canadian Open*, Australian Open², Virginia Slims Championship², Miami², Sydney², Tokyo[PP] ², Hilton Head², Amelia Island², Barcelona², Los Angeles², Filderstadt², Roland Garros§, 1993(9) – Miami*, Amelia Island*, Barcelona*, Hamburg*, US Open², Barcelona², Italian Open², Essen², Australian Open§, 1994(19)Roland Garros*, US Open*, Amelia Island*, Barcelona*, Hamburg*, Canadian Open*, Tokyo[Nicherei]*, Oakland*, US Open², Delray Beach², Light N’ Lively Doubles², Hilton Head², Amelia Island², Barcelona², Hamburg², San Diego², Canadian Open², Tokyo[Nicherei] ², Oakland², 1995(8) – Barcelona*, German Open*, Australian Open², Wimbledon², WTA Tour Championships², Miami², Barcelona², Eastbourne², 1996(11) – Hilton Head*, Hamburg*, Australian Open², Miami², Hilton Head², Amelia Island², Hamburg², Italian Open², Madrid², Eastbourne², Canadian Open², 1997(7) - Sydney², Miami², Madrid², San Diego², Filderstadt², Zurich², Moscow², 1998(2)Roland Garros*, Sydney*, 1999(4) – Cairo*, Cairo², Hamburg², Los Angeles², 2000(3) – German Open², Leipzig², US Open§, 2001(3) – Porto*, Madrid*, Miami², 2002(6) – Doha², Amelia Island², Sopot², Helsinki², New Haven², Tokyo[PP]²
-----------------------------------------
17 YEARS, 100 TITLES

Barcelona Bumblebee: #1 in our hearts forever!!

YYYYIroda TulyaganovaYYYY
ASV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2002, 02:23 AM   #12
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Arantxa's matches in the mid 90's with Steffi. I loved the US Open 1994 final and the 95-96 French and Wimbledon matches. That girl had such spunk!!!!
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:00 AM   #13
marsha

marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice
1994 US Open is often remembered/cited, but for me the tournament just the week before that -- the 1994 Canadian Open in Montreal is just one heck of an amazing match to me... the third set tiebreak was so intense (and Arantxa hit one of those scare-me-to-death drop shots from the baseline on an ad point -- unreal!) - I'll share the tape of that match (or any of those in my "collection") with those who want it.
marsha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:06 AM   #14
Senorita Conchita

Senorita Conchita is a name known to all Senorita Conchita is a name known to all Senorita Conchita is a name known to all Senorita Conchita is a name known to all Senorita Conchita is a name known to all Senorita Conchita is a name known to all Senorita Conchita is a name known to all Senorita Conchita is a name known to all Senorita Conchita is a name known to all Senorita Conchita is a name known to all Senorita Conchita is a name known to all
I think it was the 91 French Open semis, where she beat Graf
6-0,6-2. I just couldn't believe it, she got to everyball, crazy anticipation.

CLAY = 130pts
HARD = 120 pts
INDOORS = 110pts
GRASS = 100pts

WTAworld's Resident Bitch....Okay! *SNAP*
Senorita Conchita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:16 AM   #15
RedRaider1

RedRaider1 is just really nice RedRaider1 is just really nice RedRaider1 is just really nice RedRaider1 is just really nice RedRaider1 is just really nice RedRaider1 is just really nice RedRaider1 is just really nice RedRaider1 is just really nice RedRaider1 is just really nice RedRaider1 is just really nice RedRaider1 is just really nice
I have 3 favorite Arantxa matches which will always stand out to me.

1994 Hamburg Final ASV D. Steffi 4-6 7-6 7-6. ASV saved multiple match points in this incredible match that went over 3 hours.

1994 Canandian Open Final ASV D. Steffi 7-5 1-6 7-6 ASV again saved multiple match points in another all out war

1995 WImbledon Final Steffi D. ASV 4-6 6-1 7-5. That game at 5-5 in the 3rd was just INCREDIBLE! 20 minutes and 13 deuces at such a crucial stage in the match.
RedRaider1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote