Hopman Cup Paying Player Fines, Offering $1Million in Appearance Fees - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:01 PM   #1
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Hopman Cup Paying Player Fines, Offering $1Million in Appearance Fees

See guys. This was all academic (paying of the player fees). I had read about this weeks ago. But here's another/the latest article and report on it.

But what about those $1 million in player appearance fees and guarantees?

Now you know why they go there (besides 3-4 guaranteed matches). The article didn't state if it was per player or not. But who cares! Even 3 hundred thousand dollars (plus you're already in Australia) is probably more than the first place prize of the upgraded Brisbane. And they pay the player fines to? Expensive tournament!

Quote:
© “DAILY TENNIS NEWS WIRE”

ITF to Pay Hopman Cup Player Fines – Caroline Wozniaki, Li Na, Petra Kvitova

The Hopman Cup and the ITF have agreed to pay WTA player fines somewhere in the range of $375,000 for its participants in the 2012 tournament.

With the upgrading of the WTA Brisbane tournament to a Premier level, exemptions are no longer granted to players to participate in exhibitions during the same week, which for all intents and purposes eliminated the Hong Kong exhibition, and forced the Hopman Cup – which is owned in part by the ITF – to decide whether or not it wanted to shell out both substantial guarantees and cover the player fines (which the players were not willing to do).

Apparently the tournament is in healthy enough shape to put up what is believed to be at least $1 million in appearance fees and guarantees.

The ITF confirmed to Daily Tennis that “There is an agreement in place between the ITF and WTA with regard to player participation in the Hopman Cup, which is in full compliance with the WTA Rules in relation to non-Tour events.”

The fines are tiered based on ranking. The tournament will have to pay $100,000 a piece for No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki and No. 2 Petra Kvitova, $75,000 for No. 5 Li Na, and various fines for Marion Bartoli, Bethanie Mattek-Sands, Anabel Medina and Tsvetana Pironkova.

© “DAILY TENNIS NEWS WIRE”
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:06 PM   #2
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hopman Cup Paying Player Fines, Offering $1Million in Appearance Fees

I'm pretty sure the $1 million in appearance money is total for all 16 players.
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:09 PM   #3
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

@Bobito.

That's what I'm assuming.

But even if they pay Caro $250,000 and Petra $200,000 a piece,etc., that may still be more than Brisbane pays out now for first place. And you get 3-4 guaranteed matches in this tournament.

Not a bad deal. And that's the appeal. Lol
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:15 PM   #4
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
@Bobito.

But even if they pay Caro $250,000 and Petra $200,000 a piece,etc., that may still be more than Brisbane pays out now for first place. And you get 3-4 guaranteed matches in this tournament.

It would certainly see me through 'til after Christmas.

However, I seriously doubt that Caro and Petra are picking up anywhere near half the total. You've got Berdych, Fish, Hewitt and Verdasco playing in the event as well remember.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:21 PM   #5
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@Bobito.

goldie hacked this account?

and you needed new topic for this...
I doubt they give 200k them. 125-150k maybe. And Nana and Birdy probably got the same.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM   #6
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
goldie hacked this account?

and you needed new topic for this...
I doubt they give 200k them. 125-150k maybe. And Nana and Birdy probably got the same.
Funny.

You'd be surprised how many people truly worried the players would have to actually come out of their pockets, though. Lol

That's why I posted it.

My guess, is that they pay at or more than what ever Brisbane is paying now for first place?
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:31 PM   #7
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
It would certainly see me through 'til after Christmas.

However, I seriously doubt that Caro and Petra are picking up anywhere near half the total. You've got Berdych, Fish, Hewitt and Verdasco playing in the event as well remember.
That was an arbitrary number (whether true or imagined).

My guess, is that they pay AT or MORE than what ever Brisbane is paying now for first place to the top ranked players?
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM   #8
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

Premier 700 tournaments were paying either $103K or $111K to the winners this year. I doubt they'll be getting much more than that ($1M between 16 players) but it is guaranteed money.

It's a safe bet that Caro's picking up more than her partner Frederik Nielsen though.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:41 PM   #9
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My guess, is that they pay at or more than what ever Brisbane is paying now for first place?
real question what Brisbane pays to Serena/Kim/Maria to play there.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:45 PM   #10
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
real question what Brisbane pays to Serena/Kim/Maria to play there.
Rather more than I make in a year.

Good point though. It's not as if the Hopman Cup is the only event dishing out appearance money.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:48 PM   #11
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a safe bet that Caro's picking up more than her partner Frederik Nielsen though.
lol. Its rare Frederik plays in anything big, so he may play here for free.

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:49 PM   #12
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

But Ithink possible $125.000 is less than Caro got from HK... (Other years)

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:51 PM   #13
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
lol. Its rare Frederik plays in anything big, so he may play here for free.
Yeah.

I think he's going, playing there for the privilege of being with his partner.

When else would his name be mentioned anywhere else?
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 10:11 PM   #14
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
But Ithink possible $125.000 is less than Caro got from HK... (Other years)
I dont see any reason why Caroline would skip a Premier unless she was getting a decent payday
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 10:46 PM   #15
country flag Excelscior

I would like to add guys, that the article stated "Apparently the tournament is in healthy enough shape to put up what is believed to be at least $1 million in appearance fees and guarantees." It says AT LEAST. So it could be more than a million dollars actually. But either way, remember the appearance fees are probably not all the same; just like the penalty fees aren't. I'm sure they're different amounts depending on player ranking.