Pac-12 (2015) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 12th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #1
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold
Pac-12 (2015)

Finally!

Stanford updates their streaming to HD as promised.
Court 2 is next to court 1, side-by-side, which I've been doing manually and they got rid of the ridiculous scoreboard, which was never on pace with match play anyways (distraction).

And no more spider webs on court 5 and 6!!!

http://streamingtennis.com/Cardinal/court6x.html
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 12th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #2
country flag SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice
Re: Pac-12 (2015)

Too bad they don't have the depth to compete this year for a national title...
SakiBomb25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #3
country flag urklerlay

urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future

how do you know what the score is w/o the scoreboard?

Twitter
2013 US OPEN
Flickr
urklerlay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #4
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
Finally!

Stanford updates their streaming to HD as promised.
Court 2 is next to court 1, side-by-side, which I've been doing manually and they got rid of the ridiculous scoreboard, which was never on pace with match play anyways (distraction).

And no more spider webs on court 5 and 6!!!

http://streamingtennis.com/Cardinal/court6x.html
Wow, that's awesome! I can't wait to watch matches on them. I'm sure they will have a Live Stats page somewhere.

I wish UCLA would figure out some way to install cameras on their courts.
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #5
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by urklerlay View Post
how do you know what the score is w/o the scoreboard?
I expect that they will still have the individual match score on the bottom of the screen.

The scoreboard being the Phil Knight Scoreboard showed all the player scores, which I mentioned is replaced.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #6
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakiBomb25 View Post
Too bad they don't have the depth to compete this year for a national title...
I just don't get it. Lele really missed the boat in recruiting a player for #6 position.

#1 and #2 will be a bit weaker than the other Pac-12 rivals and #6 is like being down a point to begin the singles play.

This weaker team will be lucky to make QF and will probably finished 3rd or 4th in the Pac-12.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #7
country flag OldBlue

OldBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I was at Stanford today, and they had trouble with the scoreboard in person too! At one point, they turned the scoreboard on, and it showed some old random names that I did not recognize. Then it kept flashing/scrolling, and I thought, wow, I wonder if the players were distracted? It took a while, but it finally managed to show the names on the top three courts, although no scores ever appeared. That said, Stanford is a great place to play, and they do a good job with the Regional.

As for the play/players themselves, my Bears are doing well! After the first day, all 7 participating Bears (#1 seed Lynn Chi, #3 Zsofi Susanyi, #5 Maegan Manasse, #6 Denise Starr, #9 Klara Fabikova, and unseeded senior Cessi Estlander and frosh Karla Popovic) made it into the round of 32. Then today, 5 of the 7 (Starr and Eslander lost three-setters) made it to the round of 16:

#9 Fabikova vs. #2 Zhao:
Zhao looked fantastic throughout. She hits a clean ball, and moves really well. Klara tried her drop shots a few times, but Zhao got there and passed her every time. Zhao's terrific play frustrated Klara early, and she overhit. But then late in the second set, Klara found her range, and when she's on, she can hit with anyone. With Zhao serving for the match at 6-5, Klara broke back, and then cruised through the tie break. Zhao regrouped and led 3-0 and 4-1 (2 breaks) in the third. But again, Klara clawed back to 4-5. Again Zhao served for the match, and Klara got it to 30 all. But Zhao closed it out playing aggressively. 6-1, 6-7(1), 6-4

#1 Chi vs. #14 Tsay
Tsay was hitting bigger than I've seen her, but Chi's backhand was really on early. It was interesting watching them, as they are similar in height and build, but Chi was generating so much more pace and angles. Wasn't Tsay much more heralded coming out of HS? But Chi's game is much better at this point. Tsay got an early lead in the second, but Chi never seemed seriously threatened, and she closed it out 6-1, 6-4.

#3 Susanyi vs. #13 Douglas-Miron (UWashington)
This is the best Susanyi has looked in a while, maybe since her frosh campaign. Instead of just putting the ball back, Zsofi attacked, using great placement to keep her opponent off-balance. Zsofi even got off to a quick start--not always her strength--running out to a 5-0 lead. The match was completely on her terms: when her level dropped, she lost a couple of loose games. But all in all, a routine 6-2, 6-1 win.

#5 Manasse vs. Delphine Rouvillois (Santa Clara)
Maegan did not not look as crisp as when I saw her last at Cal's tourney, but her heavy topspin groundies drove her opponents nuts. She also looks to be in much better shape than last year. She got better at the end of each set, and closed it out 6-2, 6-1.

Popovic vs Catherine Leduc (St.Mary's)
Two unseeded players benefitting from a good draw--this was Hardebeck's section--they went at each other, swinging away. Popovic is solid from both sides, but there is something more mechanical (as opposed to free-flowing, like Zhao) to her game. She is willing to take the ball early, though, which is a good and necessary thing, because her shots just don't have the same pace as the top players at this level. And her serve is not much of a weapon. Still, she looked much better than when I saw her in her debut at Cal, and she fights. There were more contested calls in this match than all the others combined. She came through with some great shots at the end of the second set, applying the pressure until her opponent missed. Leduc could not shake off the loss of the 2nd set and fell behind early in the third and never threatened again. Popovic wins 4-6, 6-4, 6-2

So in the quarters will be 4 Cal players and 3 from Stanford.

#1 Chi vs. #7 Davidson--some history there, from last year's NCAA
#4 Doyle vs #15 Butkovska (Portland)
#3 Susanyi vs. Popovic
#2 Zhao vs. #5 Manasse

Doyle looked great today, so I expect her to come through, and Susanyi should beat Popovic. The other two matches will be interesting and will be a barometer of how much Chi and Manasse have upped their game. We'll see.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it there. But of course I am hoping for three Bears in the semis!

GO BEARS!
OldBlue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #8

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Should note the upsets:

Denise Starr lost in the 3rd round to Ahmed from Fresno State
Hardebeck's woes continue. She lost in the 2nd round to Mladenovic from Univ. of Portland.

Draw can be found here: http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournamen...64#&&s=7Draws0
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #9
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlue View Post
I was at Stanford today, and they had trouble with the scoreboard in person too! At one point, they turned the scoreboard on, and it showed some old random names that I did not recognize. Then it kept flashing/scrolling, and I thought, wow, I wonder if the players were distracted? It took a while, but it finally managed to show the names on the top three courts, although no scores ever appeared. That said, Stanford is a great place to play, and they do a good job with the Regional.

As for the play/players themselves, my Bears are doing well! After the first day, all 7 participating Bears (#1 seed Lynn Chi, #3 Zsofi Susanyi, #5 Maegan Manasse, #6 Denise Starr, #9 Klara Fabikova, and unseeded senior Cessi Estlander and frosh Karla Popovic) made it into the round of 32. Then today, 5 of the 7 (Starr and Eslander lost three-setters) made it to the round of 16:

#9 Fabikova vs. #2 Zhao:
Zhao looked fantastic throughout. She hits a clean ball, and moves really well. Klara tried her drop shots a few times, but Zhao got there and passed her every time. Zhao's terrific play frustrated Klara early, and she overhit. But then late in the second set, Klara found her range, and when she's on, she can hit with anyone. With Zhao serving for the match at 6-5, Klara broke back, and then cruised through the tie break. Zhao regrouped and led 3-0 and 4-1 (2 breaks) in the third. But again, Klara clawed back to 4-5. Again Zhao served for the match, and Klara got it to 30 all. But Zhao closed it out playing aggressively. 6-1, 6-7(1), 6-4

#1 Chi vs. #14 Tsay
Tsay was hitting bigger than I've seen her, but Chi's backhand was really on early. It was interesting watching them, as they are similar in height and build, but Chi was generating so much more pace and angles. Wasn't Tsay much more heralded coming out of HS? But Chi's game is much better at this point. Tsay got an early lead in the second, but Chi never seemed seriously threatened, and she closed it out 6-1, 6-4.

#3 Susanyi vs. #13 Douglas-Miron (UWashington)
This is the best Susanyi has looked in a while, maybe since her frosh campaign. Instead of just putting the ball back, Zsofi attacked, using great placement to keep her opponent off-balance. Zsofi even got off to a quick start--not always her strength--running out to a 5-0 lead. The match was completely on her terms: when her level dropped, she lost a couple of loose games. But all in all, a routine 6-2, 6-1 win.

#5 Manasse vs. Delphine Rouvillois (Santa Clara)
Maegan did not not look as crisp as when I saw her last at Cal's tourney, but her heavy topspin groundies drove her opponents nuts. She also looks to be in much better shape than last year. She got better at the end of each set, and closed it out 6-2, 6-1.

Popovic vs Catherine Leduc (St.Mary's)
Two unseeded players benefitting from a good draw--this was Hardebeck's section--they went at each other, swinging away. Popovic is solid from both sides, but there is something more mechanical (as opposed to free-flowing, like Zhao) to her game. She is willing to take the ball early, though, which is a good and necessary thing, because her shots just don't have the same pace as the top players at this level. And her serve is not much of a weapon. Still, she looked much better than when I saw her in her debut at Cal, and she fights. There were more contested calls in this match than all the others combined. She came through with some great shots at the end of the second set, applying the pressure until her opponent missed. Leduc could not shake off the loss of the 2nd set and fell behind early in the third and never threatened again. Popovic wins 4-6, 6-4, 6-2

So in the quarters will be 4 Cal players and 3 from Stanford.

#1 Chi vs. #7 Davidson--some history there, from last year's NCAA
#4 Doyle vs #15 Butkovska (Portland)
#3 Susanyi vs. Popovic
#2 Zhao vs. #5 Manasse

Doyle looked great today, so I expect her to come through, and Susanyi should beat Popovic. The other two matches will be interesting and will be a barometer of how much Chi and Manasse have upped their game. We'll see.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it there. But of course I am hoping for three Bears in the semis!

GO BEARS!
Nice recap!

I like to see how far Zhao can go. This tournament should be a good test for her, as well for Doyle.

Nice to hear Tsay hitting the ball bigger instead of slapping the ball back, but playing #5 all these years hasn't developed her game to levels expected from a Top 3 Junior coming into college.

I thought Manasse looked more fit before she played for Cal, so nice to hear that she is in much better shape this year. I thought last year, she played more 3 set matches then she needed to if she was better fit.

It looks like the top 4 seeds have a good shot making the SF.

Davidson is no match for Chi, who will outpower her.
Doyle has lossed only 1 game in 2 matches. She should moved past Butkovska.
Susanyi should get by Popovic.

Zhao and Manasse should be the closest match of the four.
If Zhao is finding her range (not hitting short into the nets), she'll find a way to advanced. I might be underestimating Manasse here or over favoring my Cards, but if I am going to do that I can't go wrong with Zhao, who is getting mentally strong with each tight 3 set victory.

If Chi and Doyle both advance to SF, that should be a great match to watch. Chi may have experience on her side, so I give her the slight advantage.
Of course, I will be rooting for Doyle for the upset! Doyle is a year younger than all of the Freshmans coming in last year. I expect her to grow into the big shoes.

If Susanyi and Zhao both advance to SF, I think Susanyi will give Zhao fits, especially as she mix things up, not allowing Zhao to gain any rhythm and pace.

All-Cal final? I hope at least one Stanford player prevails.

Go Stanford!
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #10
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
Should note the upsets:

Denise Starr lost in the 3rd round to Ahmed from Fresno State
Hardebeck's woes continue. She lost in the 2nd round to Mladenovic from Univ. of Portland.

Draw can be found here: http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournamen...64#&&s=7Draws0
If I was coaching Stanford, I would have Zhao at #1 and Doyle at #2.

Yes, moving Hardebeck down the line-up to #3. Actually, she could clean-up at #4 and moving Davidson to #3, but I can't see Hardebeck playing in the backcourts with a smile. Not given the expectations of being the #1 junior recruit.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #11

Davidson destroyed Chi 1 and 2.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #12
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
Davidson destroyed Chi 1 and 2.
Somebody must have told her about my post and pissed her off!
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #13
country flag tie_breaker

Any links to live scores?
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #14

Zhao defeated Manasse 7-5, 5-7, 7-5. Maegan is going to be tough this season.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #15

Popovic defeated Susanyi in 3. The Cal team won't lose a beat from last year.