Who here has Social Anxiety/Phobia or exhibit the symptms of it? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 20th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Shadowcat

Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute
Who here has Social Anxiety/Phobia or exhibit the symptms of it?

Just curious.

Quote:
Social phobia is a persistent and irrational fear of situations that may involve scrutiny or judgment by others, such as parties and other social events.

People with social phobias fear and avoid situations in which they may be subject to the scrutiny of others. It may begin in adolescence and may be associated with overprotective parents or limited social opportunities. Males and females are affected equally with this disorder.

People with social phobia are at high risk for alcohol or other drug dependence, because they may come to rely on drinks or drugs to relax in social situations.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000957.htm

I always get nervous around people including the closest people I know. I try to avoid meeting people as much as I can. I take Xanax when I'm doing a presentation or for my oral presentation.

But I will try to change to a better and stronger person.

“If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.”
― Flavia Weedn
Shadowcat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 20th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #2
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who here has Social Anxiety/Phobia or exhibit the symptms of it?

I'm a strange one. I could speak fine in front of my classes at school and stuff but 1-on-1 or small-group socializing forget it .

I wish I didn't have such problems because it really holds you back in life if you don't get a handle on it. Good luck to you . Well, to both of us .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #3
country flag Mikey.
Set me free, leave me be.

Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'll put my hand up. I have social anxiety and it's really really awful tbh!

I've been this way since as long as I can remember but it got to its peak somewhere in my late teenage years when I moved from High School to Uni. It's so bad at the moment that I avoid almost all social situations. In particular those situations which involve meeting people I don't know. I mean, I can go to a party or something if I really want to, but the whole process is just so traumatic and exhausting for me. And yeah I'm the same, I get anxious even around people I'm close to, including family members. Simple things like paying for groceries in a store or speaking on the telephone are really traumatic for me. I have NO IDEA how I managed to get through my entire degree at Uni. Going to class was just terrifying, and don't even get me started on having to make speeches and presentations. Obviously this is really debilitating and over the past year or two it has moved on to start causing me depression. This was what scared me the most and it finally pushed me to go and find help. I could feel the depression setting in and I was afraid of what would happen if I didn't do something. It took me so long to drum up the courage but I just actually started seeing a psychologist last month. We haven't really made much headway into fixing my anxiety as of yet, but I'm definitely feeling more secure now because of the fact that I've got the ball rolling. It has also been a HUGE relief and weight of my shoulders to be able to tell my psychologist things I've never actually spoken out loud before. I wish I had gone so much sooner because I feel like I have wasted most of my life hiding away from most social situations and worrying about what other people think of me.

One thing I actually find quite funny about this problem is how I'm so sensitive to negative criticism and judgement, while at the same time any clear and honest compliments cause me just as much harm. It's such a big mess!
Mikey. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #4
country flag Mynarco
EIFORYA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Strange one. I am confident in doing presentations/giving speeches. I love hanging out with friends as well. But I am just clueless about how to be myself when going to parties/night clubs

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Shadowcat

Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute Shadowcat has a reputation beyond repute

I know it sucks having this problem. My heart always beat like crazy when my handphone rings, even if it is my close friends I keep stuttering when I talk to her. My face blushes like crazy when I'm nervous which always happen all the time. I'm always scared to pay for things when going into a shop so this kept me from going out frequently. Like last week I went to the exhibition match and I can't sit still because I keep looking around if there are people who are looking at me. Trust me, this thing will eat you alive if you do nothing about it. But I hope we all get through it.

“If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.”
― Flavia Weedn
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #6
country flag Mikey.
Set me free, leave me be.

Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post

I know it sucks having this problem. My heart always beat like crazy when my handphone rings, even if it is my close friends I keep stuttering when I talk to her. My face blushes like crazy when I'm nervous which always happen all the time. I'm always scared to pay for things when going into a shop so this kept me from going out frequently. Like last week I went to the exhibition match and I can't sit still because I keep looking around if there are people who are looking at me. Trust me, this thing will eat you alive if you do nothing about it. But I hope we all get through it.
I'm the same! I even start shaking when I'm speaking on the telephone. My legs go to jelly and I have to sit down. The weird thing is that I wouldn't be as anxious if I was actually speaking to the person face to face.
Mikey. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #7
country flag L'Enfant Sauvage

L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute

Aww, I have social anxiety, but probably not as bad as some of you. For me it's when I'm around groups of people I don't know my breathing gets harder to control, or I'll feel hot/start sweating. Usually only the latter if for example, I'm in a crowded elevator, or standing in a crowded train. Usually if I see a train or bus come and it's crowded like that I'll wait for the next one, which has caused me to be late, sometimes REALLY late for school/engagements/etc. And yeah, I avoid parties like the plague.

These problems only really started in the 7th grade, when I was moved into a situation where I was unable to see my friends and became a bit of a loner, had problems with depression, and coming to terms with my sexuality/having to come out. It's strange though, that even though I have none of those problems now(my life is honestly pretty good these days,) I still have the anxiety problems. I also noticed that I'm much more anxious around males. Embarrassing confessions~

(Anyone playing Sharapova)
L'Enfant Sauvage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #8
country flag Langers

Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I do. I’m not sure to what extent, but I definitely do. Where do I start? I’ll try not to make this a giant essay, but it’s nice to see a thread than I can relate to.

I was always a very popular guy at school (I was, I’m not lying!) but I never really went out, figured I didn’t really ‘fit in’ to the whole party lifestyle, but that never bothered me. Since finishing school I’ve studied off and on, but that was always difficult because of my social anxiety. Mikey, I think you did absolutely brilliantly to finish your degree, well done! If I’m being 100% honest, the reason why I quit uni had just as much to do with the fear of rocking up every day to classes than it did my dislike for a few subjects. I’d hate the prospect of attending classes, never wanted to answer questions, hated drawing attention to myself, in the end the easy solution was to drop out. I agree even simple things like paying for groceries can be stressful, it’s hard to explain why, it just is. And an even sadder part if that people who I see at work EVERY day, even those who I am, in a worse sense, close to, I might still get nervous around and be afraid of stuffing up. I think I am slowly improving in this area, although obviously far from perfect.

I’ll make excuses not to go out. I don’t even have a really close friend that I can talk to about stuff like this, who is there? People who know me wouldn’t have a clue how bad I am in social situations and how doing day to day stuff can be stressful. My life is pretty depressing and very boring, and it's becoming more so because of this. I am very self conscious; I get very nervous for no real reason and build up stress over tiny things. I am doing my Christmas shopping tomorrow; no doubt walking around the shops by myself will be a bit stressful.

Thankyou for this thread.

Last edited by Langers : Dec 20th, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
Langers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Shadowcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Yes, I do. I’m not sure to what extent, but I definitely do. Where do I start? I’ll try not to make this a giant essay, but it’s nice to see a thread than I can relate to.

I was always a very popular guy at school (I was, I’m not lying!) but I never really went out, figured I didn’t really ‘fit in’ to the whole party lifestyle, but that never bothered me. Since finishing school I’ve studied off and on, but that was always difficult because of my social anxiety. Mikey, I think you did absolutely brilliantly to finish your degree, well done! If I’m being 100% honest, the reason why I quit uni had just as much to do with the fear of rocking up every day to classes than it did my dislike for a few subjects. I’d hate the prospect of attending classes, never wanted to answer questions, hated drawing attention to myself, in the end the easy solution was to drop out. I agree even simple things like paying for groceries can be stressful, it’s hard to explain why, it just is. And an even sadder part if that people who I see at work EVERY day, even those who I am, in a worse sense, close to, I might still get nervous around and be afraid of stuffing up. I think I am slowly improving in this area, although obviously far from perfect.

I’ll make excuses not to go out. I don’t even have a really close friend that I can talk to about stuff like this, who is there? People who know me wouldn’t have a clue how bad I am in social situations and how doing day to day stuff can be stressful. My life is pretty depressing and very boring, and it's becoming more so because of this. I am very self conscious; I get very nervous for no real reason and build up stress over tiny things. I am doing my Christmas shopping tomorrow; no doubt walking around the shops by myself will be a bit stressful.

Thankyou for this thread.

I know how you feels. It's good to know that you're not alone. I wish I could do something to help you when I'm myself have this problem. I hope everything works out for you.

― Flavia Weedn
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #10
country flag Apoleb

Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute

Train, get out, see people.

I know it's hard to do, and you will feel even more anxious because you fear other people will notice it, but it's the best way to get over social anxiety. It's hard at first and it takes time and patience but trust me, it will feel liberating once you're over it. Make sure you force yourself to get involved in eye contact. Do it with people you don't care much about if you're afraid of being judged - basically it's practicing and training.

I would say I had a mild form. Never had a problem with public speaking or one-on-one, but small groups were a different story - unless I get to know people for like 4/5 months. it was also hard for me to avoid being totally blunt and conceal my feeling , but it's skill you come to learn, and we all know hypocrisy and sociability go hand in hand.

Basically, get psychological help and also do the effort yourself. You'll notice that your whole personality will change. And even now when I avoid people for a few consecutive days, I get the anxiety back. It's a vicious cycle.
Apoleb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #11
Lucemferre

Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute

I experience exactly the same things as mentioned but the sad part is that you can never tell how much I'm struggling every day by looking at me from outside. Everybody thinks my life is perfect but it isn't.
Lucemferre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Shadowcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucemferre View Post
I experience exactly the same things as mentioned but the sad part is that you can never tell how much I'm struggling every day by looking at me from outside. Everybody thinks my life is perfect but it isn't.

― Flavia Weedn
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #13
Lucemferre

Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah I probably need a hug but then again I blame myself for all this mess. Believe me I don't have much to complain in life. I have pretty much everything except love maybe which is the main problem but other than that I really do have everything required for a 'perfect' life. That's why I said nobody can tell because you really can't unless I told you. Though I stopped whining and self pitying long ago. It's just the way it is and my mentality nowadays is 'if you can't be happy when you have everything then fuck you.' There are people who suffer from much worse, not just emotional shit.
Lucemferre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #14
country flag Chris 84

Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute

I have it in some form. I enjoy oral presentations and while doing my law degree, I found that I was one of the best and most confident at the oral aspect/mock court stuff. I'm also good on a one-to-one basis with people who I know well.

However, the problem is that I struggle to be able to get to know people well in the first place. I have made a few very good friends online, and then when I've met them in real life, I've been able to "be myself"....but I'm rarely able to build up such a relationship in real life. I'm terrible at making friends and awful in groups. I want to escape big gatherings and parties as quickly as I possibly can.

I have a friend who suffers badly from it. It has made life difficult for her, especially as she is very social in essence, craving friendship and attention, etc, but social anxiety messes that up, caused her to drink in social settings, etc. She has conquered that, thankfully, but social anxiety is an illness which can really mess up lives and there is no real "cure". You just have to try to force yourself to try your best, and if that is impossible then some people take prescribed anti-anxiety pills, etc, and perhaps they would help allow you to open up more.

Bibiane Schoofs Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #15
country flag ballbaby

ballbaby is a glorious beacon of light ballbaby is a glorious beacon of light ballbaby is a glorious beacon of light ballbaby is a glorious beacon of light ballbaby is a glorious beacon of light ballbaby is a glorious beacon of light ballbaby is a glorious beacon of light ballbaby is a glorious beacon of light ballbaby is a glorious beacon of light ballbaby is a glorious beacon of light ballbaby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Just curious.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000957.htm

I always get nervous around people including the closest people I know. I try to avoid meeting people as much as I can. I take Xanax when I'm doing a presentation or for my oral presentation.

But I will try to change to a better and stronger person.
Took up Psychology in college. And I admire you for letting us know about this. It's really hard to have social anxiety to think that human beings are social creatures. We work, interact and need one another in order to survive. So if you have trouble surpassing or facing your fears, you may find it really good to consult a psychiatrist. I'm sure the doctor knows best.
ballbaby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote