Downton Abbey Appreciation Thread - Series 4 is back. - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #31
country flag gentenaire

gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downton Abbey Appreciation Thread (Christmas Special tonight on ITV)

baddie Iain Glenn: "I'm leaving, I doubt we'll meet again."
Maggie Smith: "Do you promise?"

love it
Advertisement

Old Dec 25th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #32
country flag FleetSeb

FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of

One of the best quotes of the night!

Good episode, bit too much cheese. But the ending!
Eugenie Bouchard - Heather Watson - Julia Goerges - Kimiko Date Krumm - Lucie Safarova - Nadia Petrova
FleetSeb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #33
country flag Valanga
NEDERLAND

Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute

The ouija board scenes are way too cheesy I am afraid
but glad about the ending

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Valanga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #34
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Love it, I'm sure the Turkish guy scandal and the fenian grandchild will be used to shake up season 3.
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #35
country flag the jamierbelyea
I did it for the aesthetics.

the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping they give Cora more to do in the 3rd series. Elizabeth McGovern was wonderfully utilized in the opening series, but I feel like she was just a background character in the second. Of course with as many characters as they've shown, not all can have a leading part in every episode, but Cora was just filler for the entire second series.

Hopefully the grandchild brings some intrigue to the third series, along with the potential of the Robert/Maid make out coming out at some point. I just feel they've made Robert too right, and too much a rational voice of reason,I hated the storyline with Jane. Even though I wish it hadn't happened,and feel it out of character, I do hope it comes back.

I wonder if Thomas turns a new leaf after the scare with the dog. O'Brien has seemed to turn a new leaf after her remorse from Cora's miscarriage, so I wonder how they'll turn Thomas around.

I also thought the Ouija board scenes were nonsense, but if it can get take out the Daisy's guilt storyline out of there, I'm happy. I couldn't have her and Mrs. Patmore play out the same scene interaction one more time. Although their relationship has been one of my favorites to watch.

I'm also over the Anna and Bates storyline. I wish the struggle could've been contained to one series, I don't think I can watch another one with him in prison. It's just boring me, the two most likable characters having the most hurdles to jump?

While I'm happy for Matthew and Mary getting together, and everything being out in the open, I just feel like too much was resolved in the special. It felt more like a Series Finale, and not just a special. I'm sure they'll be hurdles in their way, but I wish it wasn't wrapped so nicely.
the jamierbelyea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #36
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

It's not very authentic and a bit soapy, but better than most of the 'celebrity' crap on TV these days!
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #37
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jamierbelyea View Post
I'm hoping they give Cora more to do in the 3rd series. Elizabeth McGovern was wonderfully utilized in the opening series, but I feel like she was just a background character in the second. Of course with as many characters as they've shown, not all can have a leading part in every episode, but Cora was just filler for the entire second series.

Hopefully the grandchild brings some intrigue to the third series, along with the potential of the Robert/Maid make out coming out at some point. I just feel they've made Robert too right, and too much a rational voice of reason,I hated the storyline with Jane. Even though I wish it hadn't happened,and feel it out of character, I do hope it comes back.

I wonder if Thomas turns a new leaf after the scare with the dog. O'Brien has seemed to turn a new leaf after her remorse from Cora's miscarriage, so I wonder how they'll turn Thomas around.

I also thought the Ouija board scenes were nonsense, but if it can get take out the Daisy's guilt storyline out of there, I'm happy. I couldn't have her and Mrs. Patmore play out the same scene interaction one more time. Although their relationship has been one of my favorites to watch.

I'm also over the Anna and Bates storyline. I wish the struggle could've been contained to one series, I don't think I can watch another one with him in prison. It's just boring me, the two most likable characters having the most hurdles to jump?

While I'm happy for Matthew and Mary getting together, and everything being out in the open, I just feel like too much was resolved in the special. It felt more like a Series Finale, and not just a special. I'm sure they'll be hurdles in their way, but I wish it wasn't wrapped so nicely.
Oh why did I read this?

I still haven't seen the Second series!

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #38

the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Oh why did I read this?

I still haven't seen the Second series!
Oy ! I'm sorry! Although, I think I left everything vague enough you'll still enjoy the second series.
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #39
country flag Valanga
NEDERLAND

Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday Dame Maggie

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 03:29 AM   #40
country flag Valanga
NEDERLAND

Re: Downton Abbey Appreciation Thread (Season 2 premieres on PBS Sunday 8/1 9/8c)

Bump. Did anyone catch the first episode on TV?

Old Jan 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #41
country flag Brena

Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downton Abbey Appreciation Thread (Season 2 premieres on PBS Sunday 8/1 9/8c)

I watched the first season since I love British TV in general and Maggie Smith in particular, but despite some witty dialogues and overall good acting I didn't like the series - it's too soap-opera-ish with ridiculous plot twists, most characters are too black and white, and the worst of all, there's too much cheese and melodrama for my taste. I love British TV precisely because, unlike American, it allows true anti-heroes and doesn't obnoxiously preach about moral and family values and whatnot. But I find quite a lot of it in Downton Abbey.

By Harold Pinter&Brena

''Man up or go home.''

''Who cares? Hahahahahaha!''
Brena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #42
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena View Post
I watched the first season since I love British TV in general and Maggie Smith in particular, but despite some witty dialogues and overall good acting I didn't like the series - it's too soap-opera-ish with ridiculous plot twists, most characters are too black and white, and the worst of all, there's too much cheese and melodrama for my taste. I love British TV precisely because, unlike American, it allows true anti-heroes and doesn't obnoxiously preach about moral and family values and whatnot. But I find quite a lot of it in Downton Abbey.
I actually like it for those reasons you hate it I like the camp soap opera element, there hasn't been a British show with those camp elements since Footballers' Wives.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #43
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Maggie Smith is so ridiculously impressive, that you do kind of feel everyone else suffers as a result
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #44
country flag Brena

Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
I actually like it for those reasons you hate it I like the camp soap opera element, there hasn't been a British show with those camp elements since Footballers' Wives.
I dunno, it's not that I don't like me a bit of hammed up melodrama now and then, it's just that I didn't expect to find it in this particular series. I enjoyed it in BBC's Bleak House some years ago, but it was to be expected since it was... Bleak House.
I didn't mean to act highbrow or anything, it's just that DA disappointed me in a way I didn't expect. Oh, I'm hard to please...
OTOH, BBC's Sherlock, now that's a series I liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
Maggie Smith is so ridiculously impressive, that you do kind of feel everyone else suffers as a result
There were some other people in it?

By Harold Pinter&Brena

''Man up or go home.''

''Who cares? Hahahahahaha!''
Brena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena View Post
I dunno, it's not that I don't like me a bit of hammed up melodrama now and then, it's just that I didn't expect to find it in this particular series. I enjoyed it in BBC's Bleak House some years ago, but it was to be expected since it was... Bleak House.
I didn't mean to act highbrow or anything, it's just that DA disappointed me in a way I didn't expect. Oh, I'm hard to please...
OTOH, BBC's Sherlock, now that's a series I liked.
It's a Julian Fellowes production, he's all about the soapy element and a bit of cheekiness. The character development he's been able to put through with this many different people in the show is sort of amazing.

The second series,well at least the start takes some of the soapiness out of it, but there's always going to be elements of it.