Extra points (idea) poll - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are you in favor or against the extra points idea?

In favor (yes) 10 55.56%
Against (no) 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 08:33 AM   #1
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Extra points (idea) poll

Another poll regarding tipping, this time promoting the idea of extra points.

Extra points would be awarded based on the number of correct picks a player made during the tournament. So if you earned 35 standard touranemnt points and made a total of 15 correct picks playing the tournament, you would get a total of 50 points, onto which your eventual bonus points would be added - assuming you were good enough to earn them.

This would bring several benefits to the game, such as helping to solve ties more easily, put more emphasize on guessing right and less on the importance of a final match.

I know that 2013 season has already begun, but we might start implementing this starting with Australian Open, since it's not a major structural change and wouldn't hurt anyone's rankings in the long run.

If you have any questions or some other ideas that you think might be better, feel free to leave your comments below.

Last edited by ma re : Jan 3rd, 2013 at 08:40 AM.
ma re is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #2
country flag valac222

valac222 has a reputation beyond repute valac222 has a reputation beyond repute valac222 has a reputation beyond repute valac222 has a reputation beyond repute valac222 has a reputation beyond repute valac222 has a reputation beyond repute valac222 has a reputation beyond repute valac222 has a reputation beyond repute valac222 has a reputation beyond repute valac222 has a reputation beyond repute valac222 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Extra points (idea) poll

^^ If I understand right the only change is that you give 2 points for R1 good picks (instead of 1) 3 points for R2 (instead of 2) etc. Technically speaking you reward the good early round picks.
valac222 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by valac222 View Post
^^ If I understand right the only change is that you give 2 points for R1 good picks (instead of 1) 3 points for R2 (instead of 2) etc. Technically speaking you reward the good early round picks.
Yes, early rounds would get you more of these points, because they hold more matches, but the basic idea is to reward correct picks regardless of rounds. With standard tournament points alone a lot can change with just one correct guess in the final, while that wouldn't be as easy with the extra points.

For example, currently in Brisbane, you are within bonus points ahead of the final, but someone ranked at #30 like dukefan1210 might (in theory) make it in with a fluke guess in the final. If we would reward extra points, you'd have 17 and he would have 15, so people ranked as low as that before the final couldn't count on luck so much.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #4
country flag ronim1

ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of

I'm in favor of this suggestion.
2010- Tipping: Winner-Generali Ladies Linz;
2009 Winner Tipping:
Portoroz;2008 Winner Suicide Tennis: Generali Ladies Linz Tipping: Fortis Luxembourg;Kremlin Cup;Guangzhou;New Haven;OG Beijing;Los Angeles;Rome
ronim1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #5
country flag joeh37

joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of

But if you correctly pick the fluke finalist as the winner why should you not be entitled to be in the bonus points. Example at Brisbane anyone brave enough to pick pavlyuchenkova deserves to be ranked higher.
It's all about stratergy. I don't see a major problem with the existing system and I don't see how this system really alleviates much.

Thankyou for years of service to British tennis

@Joeh_37
joeh37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #6
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeh37 View Post
But if you correctly pick the fluke finalist as the winner why should you not be entitled to be in the bonus points. Example at Brisbane anyone brave enough to pick pavlyuchenkova deserves to be ranked higher.
You call it brave. Someone else might call it desperate

I mean seriously - what's brave in picking Pavly over Serena if you're already ranked 28th? What's the risk in it...that you won't end the event as 28th but maybe 35th The only brave ones in such situations are people who pick the underdog when they're already in the bonus points.

These picks are often anything but brave, and we are all aware of that cause we've all done it a few times at least. You pick the underdog and pray for a miracle. If it works, the person who played well for the entire tournament but wasn't "brave" ends up behid you - that's ridiculous. With this change the game would reward more those who really play well throughout the week, and less so those who are brave enough to risk their 33th position.

But OK, that's your view on it. I'm just trying to help you see the other side
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:44 AM   #7
country flag pedropt

pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeh37 View Post
It's all about stratergy. I don't see a major problem with the existing system and I don't see how this system really alleviates much.
Agreed.
pedropt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 01:22 PM   #8
country flag ma re

So a poll is now closed, thank you all for your votes and opiniones/suggestions. Of course, we will now respect the will of the majority of voters and start implementing extra points.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #9
country flag ma re

Provisional look at AO 2013 results with extra points in the second to last and total without bonus points in the last column:

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #10
country flag joeh37

joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Provisional look at AO 2013 results with extra points in the second to last and total without bonus points in the last column:

Thank you for posting this, unfortunately I saw it after I posted in Australian open thread.

Thankyou for years of service to British tennis

@Joeh_37
joeh37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #11
country flag Håkon

Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute

So the extra points are added before the winner is determined, is that right?
game wins: FITD US Open '12, Guangzhou '10 (#1 since 8 July 2013), TT Indian Wells '11, TT doubles Moskva '11, Brussel '12, Pattaya '13, Stuttgart '13 (w/Andreas), PAW 4 titles, Suicide Olympic gold + 2 titles, Tipping 3 titles (#1 for 25 weeks, USO Series '12), Q-Ball 7 titles, Blackjack #1 2012, Pentathlon #1 2012 (5 titles)
Азарэнка | Павлюченкова | Arvidsson| Halep | Eikeri | Clijsters | Rus | Van Uytvanck | Watson | Bertens | Superboerin Hogenkamp | Schoofs
Håkon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #12
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Håkon View Post
So the extra points are added before the winner is determined, is that right?
Yup, after tournament points but before bonus points i.e. the winner is determined once the extra points are added.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #13
country flag Håkon

Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute

Right. Which is equivalent to the way I'm doing it in Katowice now (2 points for R1, 3 points for R2, and so on.)
game wins: FITD US Open '12, Guangzhou '10 (#1 since 8 July 2013), TT Indian Wells '11, TT doubles Moskva '11, Brussel '12, Pattaya '13, Stuttgart '13 (w/Andreas), PAW 4 titles, Suicide Olympic gold + 2 titles, Tipping 3 titles (#1 for 25 weeks, USO Series '12), Q-Ball 7 titles, Blackjack #1 2012, Pentathlon #1 2012 (5 titles)
Азарэнка | Павлюченкова | Arvidsson| Halep | Eikeri | Clijsters | Rus | Van Uytvanck | Watson | Bertens | Superboerin Hogenkamp | Schoofs
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #14
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Håkon View Post
Right. Which is equivalent to the way I'm doing it in Katowice now (2 points for R1, 3 points for R2, and so on.)
We haven't established specifics, but I think the game is more exciting if the manager doesn't post extra points until the tournament is over. That way it's considerably more difficult to guess if some pick in the semis of a final will be enough for a desired result. Of course, you do it the way you want, but by adding the extra points after each round their purpose is somewhat diminished IMO. In Charleston I did it the other way around. Oh well, until we reach some specific agreement you do it the way you think is right.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #15
country flag Håkon

We might as well not have a manager then and only reveal results at the end

If we're going to have intermediate standings they should be as accurate as possible.