1984 Tennis videos - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 12th, 2014, 03:49 AM   #1
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
1984 Tennis videos

30 years ago. Lets dig up some videos from 1984 and take a trip backi n time.

Below: Navratilova d. Evert 6-3 7-5 6-1 for the Slims Championships in New York.

I vividly recall watching this in a new apartment on a small TV set. Evert had just switched away from wood.

At the time the POWER of both women drew gasps from the crowd. Just a week or so earlier they had duked it out at the US Indoors.

Viewed now the power aspect looks tame compared to 2014 bang-bang tennis.

But consider the tactics, varied style, and sheer shotmaking-and this final sparkles.

Enjoy and leave comments!

P.S. The point at 2.00 is to die for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9OwrATspg

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 12th, 2014 at 03:56 AM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 20th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #2
BCP

BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold
Re: 1984 Tennis videos

Awesome match. It was the first time I saw Chris's new hair and playing with a graphite racquet. HEAVEN.

I thought the match was of a very high quality, and would place it in the top 10 matches that they played, even though Martina won in straight sets.

I had high hopes for the French Open final based on this, but Martina was probably the best I ever saw her play for that final.

Still I consider this VSC final a major step in the right direction for Chris in her quest to beat Martina.

By all accounts, the match of the year was the Oakland Final, where Hana beat Martina- too bad it was never broadcast.....

Last edited by BCP : Mar 20th, 2014 at 11:43 AM.
BCP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Awesome match. It was the first time I saw Chris's new hair and playing with a graphite racquet. HEAVEN.

I thought the match was of a very high quality, and would place it in the top 10 matches that they played, even though Martina won in straight sets.

I had high hopes for the French Open final based on this, but Martina was probably the best I ever saw her play for that final.

Still I consider this VSC final a major step in the right direction for Chris in her quest to beat Martina.

By all accounts, the match of the year was the Oakland final, where Hana beat Martina- too bad it was never broadcast.....
Sorry I Didn't reply sooner BCP-the results section keeps me hopping these days!

I agree on all counts except one: While Chris was still smokin hot in 1984 my favorite Chris year was 1983-i loved the straight hair with the braided headband. Add in the pom-pom cheerleader socks and I am in heaven

Martina was just spectacular in the French final. All credit to her there and, in retrospect, very important to her legacy IMO in that it gave her 2 of every slam.

Cheers!

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 18th, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #4
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I can't find the 1984 French final--a pity for Navratilova fans.

Here was the best Martina-Chris match in 1984-the US Open final. The rivalty was back on again. Yes Martina won, but this match really was a turning point in what was threatening to become a one-sided affiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nmOJYgJ4Vg
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #5
country flag renstar

renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of

84 US Open, edited for Evert Fans I think

renstar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #6
country flag renstar

renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of

and this was the semi final USO Chris defeating Carling basset

renstar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 11:40 AM   #7
BCP

BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold

Rollo, I agree. 1983 was peak-Chris hotness, closely followed by 1979/80.
BCP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote