your top 5 most marketable players 20 and under ? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 10th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #1
country flag viktoria,neveri

viktoria,neveri is a name known to all viktoria,neveri is a name known to all viktoria,neveri is a name known to all viktoria,neveri is a name known to all viktoria,neveri is a name known to all viktoria,neveri is a name known to all viktoria,neveri is a name known to all viktoria,neveri is a name known to all viktoria,neveri is a name known to all viktoria,neveri is a name known to all viktoria,neveri is a name known to all
your top 5 most marketable players 20 and under ?

which players fit this list?
viktoria,neveri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 10th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #2
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: your top 5 most marketable players 20 and under ?

It will depend on results. I dont think any of them will score big deals without results, especially at majors.
Right now, Bouchard is a clear leader, 20 until next Feb. After that, I dont know of any making big endorsement deals.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #3
country flag Level55

Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of

Vekic is also marketable because she is pretty. If she starts to get better results, very likely as she is only 17 now, it would be easy to get people to endorse her.
Level55 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #4
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Bouchard, Puig, Bencic, Muguruza and either Keys, Konjuh or Vekic.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #5
UDACHi

UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute

tf so obsessed with marketability lately.
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #6
country flag Darth Vader

Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDACHi View Post
tf so obsessed with marketability lately.
Sadly this is the way the WTA is structured. And despite the criticism the WTA receives, it's the most successful women's professional sports association by a country mile. As Tennis fans we may not like it. But hardcore WTA fans and the people who frequent this forum are not nearly enough to sustain the sport. And that's where star power comes in. That's why whether we like it or not, the marketability of individual players is very important.
Darth Vader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #7
country flag Darth Vader

Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of Darth Vader has much to be proud of

Top 5

1) Eugene Bouchard
2) Madison Keys
3) Monica Puig
4) Taylor Townsend
5) Victory Duval

Of this group I think only Bouchard and Keys have the chance to be truly breakout stars.

This is a great thread topic. I must admit this exercise was more difficult than I thought. That's not a good sign for the sport. In prior era's finding 5 first rate stars under 20 was easier.

On a slightly different topic, I worry about the rise of Simona Halep. I think she has the chance to dominate the tour in the coming years. While her play is admirable, she has absolutely no marketability what-so-ever. Her rise to power could be bad news to the WTA's bottom line.
Darth Vader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #8
country flag nemurenai

nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute

Who else but Princess Eugenie?
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #9
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
Sadly this is the way the WTA is structured. And despite the criticism the WTA receives, it's the most successful women's professional sports association by a country mile. As Tennis fans we may not like it. But hardcore WTA fans and the people who frequent this forum are not nearly enough to sustain the sport. And that's where star power comes in. That's why whether we like it or not, the marketability of individual players is very important.
The point is not whether players are marketed, but how, on what basis. The success of the WTA that you so proudly refer to is built almost entirely on the pioneering work of the original 9, who fought fearlessly to ensure that women's tennis was taken as seriously, and was paid as well, as men's tennis. The essense of the fight they fought and won was fair pay and treatment for all players, and a serious status for the women's game as a whole. To be sure, there were always attractive players who added to the appeal of women's tennis, but at its core they were marketing the game and the talent of the players, not "star quality" and looks.

These days "star quality" seems to be all anybody wants to talk about, and players who are deemed not to have it are even branded bad for the marketability of the game. Your comment above about Simona is a perfect illustration. You worry about the rise of Simona Halep? Why would you worry about the rise of Simona Halep? Some of the most famous names in tennis (and in sports in general) over the years have had no more "star quality" than Simona has, and they have done just fine. That has especially been the case in men's tennis. Still is.

It's a self-fulifilling prophecy. At a certain point women's tennis lost confidence in itself, and decided that if it didn't promote its divas nobody would be interested it anymore. Now everybody is so thoroughly sick of getting these prepackaged young things (who, apart from their looks, have as much "star quality" as a wet sock) shoved in their faces they are turning their backs on the sport en masse.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 05:41 AM   #10
country flag DragonFlame
Team WTAworld

DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute

If only their games where as interesting as their marketability. I'd rather have a new justine then some blonde bimbo with an ordinary counterpunch/baselinegrinding style, something all of the players are lately.

Elena, thank you for all the joy you gave me, you will always remain in my mind.
Intelligence Officer of the SS Dementieva
DragonFlame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #11
country flag LillaM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of

With the way the WTA is currently marketing players:

1) Genie for a few more months.

2) Donna Vekic. She has a bubbly personality, doesn't mind the attention and could really get there result-wise.

3) Taylor and Madison could be very marketable but they both strike me as players who want the sole focus to be on their tennis.
LillaM is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #12
country flag Jan_S

Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
The point is not whether players are marketed, but how, on what basis. The success of the WTA that you so proudly refer to is built almost entirely on the pioneering work of the original 9, who fought fearlessly to ensure that women's tennis was taken as seriously, and was paid as well, as men's tennis. The essense of the fight they fought and won was fair pay and treatment for all players, and a serious status for the women's game as a whole. To be sure, there were always attractive players who added to the appeal of women's tennis, but at its core they were marketing the game and the talent of the players, not "star quality" and looks.

These days "star quality" seems to be all anybody wants to talk about, and players who are deemed not to have it are even branded bad for the marketability of the game. Your comment above about Simona is a perfect illustration. You worry about the rise of Simona Halep? Why would you worry about the rise of Simona Halep? Some of the most famous names in tennis (and in sports in general) over the years have had no more "star quality" than Simona has, and they have done just fine. That has especially been the case in men's tennis. Still is.

It's a self-fulifilling prophecy. At a certain point women's tennis lost confidence in itself, and decided that if it didn't promote its divas nobody would be interested it anymore. Now everybody is so thoroughly sick of getting these prepackaged young things (who, apart from their looks, have as much "star quality" as a wet sock) shoved in their faces they are turning their backs on the sport en masse.
This!

However, if you look at it from the perspective of a marketing manager, it is significantly harder to sell the women's tennis (i mean the game itself, not players) than the men's one. While on the ATP side, the very top players produce flashy, universally likeable athletic rallies more often, the excellence in the women's game is not that easily recognizable for a casual fan...

Who knows, perhaps WTA should try to educate its fans in some ingenious way. However, it is much more tortuous a project than "strong is beautiful" and similar silly looks-oriented campaigns.
Jan_S is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #13
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future

Genie Bouchard
Madison Keys
Taylor Townsend
Vicky Duval
Tornado Black

I think a sport like tennis needs not just an appealing look, but also an appealing name that's somewhat catchy not easy to forget.
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #14
country flag RandomTennisFan

RandomTennisFan is a name known to all RandomTennisFan is a name known to all RandomTennisFan is a name known to all RandomTennisFan is a name known to all RandomTennisFan is a name known to all RandomTennisFan is a name known to all RandomTennisFan is a name known to all RandomTennisFan is a name known to all RandomTennisFan is a name known to all RandomTennisFan is a name known to all RandomTennisFan is a name known to all
Where's Laura?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

RIP Elena Baltacha
RandomTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #15
country flag LillaM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of LillaM has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomTennisFan View Post
Where's Laura?
totally forgot about her

She's veryery marketable. I mean she manages to stay relevant even though she hasn't played in ages
LillaM is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote