2012 PAW Wildcard Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 7th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #1
country flag Emrys

Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of
2012 PAW Wildcard Thread

Granted WCs in 2012 (Players in red shall not receive a WC any more this year)
Each player can have maximum 2 WildCards in a season

After - Shanghai
Code:

Player_________________	Tournament #1__________	Tournament #2__________	

Archer16_______________	Madrid________________  	Bad Gastein____________ 	2
Aster7_________________	Auckland_______________ 	Birmingham____________  	2
Barlos_________________	Indian Wells____________	Charleston______________	2
Batemant_______________	Indian Wells____________	Roland Garros___________	2
bionic71_______________	Charleston______________	Madrid________________  	2
BlackPanther._________	Madrid________________  	Stanford_____________   	2
boomer23_____________	Madrid________________  	US Open________________ 	2
Broseghini____________	Charleston______________	Madrid________________  	2
Deathless Mortal_______	Paris___________________	Dubai__________________ 	2
Delicatecutter_________	Stanford________________	Quebec_______________   	2
digor__________________	Barcelona_______________	Montreal_______________ 	2
Frooty_Bazooty_________	Sydney__________________	Indian Wells____________	2
Frozon_________________	Paris___________________	Madrid_________________ 	2
In The Zone____________	Pattaya City_____________	Wimbledon_____________  	2
JustPetko______________	Monterrey______________ 	Charleston______________	2
kfh_9118_____________	Birmingham____________  	Montreal_______________ 	2
Miracle Worker_________	Stanford_______________ 	Beijing_________________	2
pedropt________________	Charleston______________	Beijing_________________	2
ricanpuigfaN___________	Dallas___________________	Quebec_______________   	2
sandg__________________	Madrid__________________	Beijing_________________	2
tenisboss______________	Tokyo___________________	Beijing_________________	2

Ceze_________________	Beijing_________________		1
charmedRic___________	Palermo________________ 		1
Chris84_______________	Madrid_________________  		1
Chrono!_______________	Doha__________________  		1
Conchi Party__________	Roland Garros___________		1
Dementieva_Dude_______	Paris___________________		1
Frederik_______________	Beijing_________________		1
gulzhan________________	Brisbane________________		1
Hachiko________________	Montreal_______________ 		1
Jose.__________________	Rome___________________ 		1
jrm___________________	Beijing_________________		1
longtin23_____________	Quebec________________   		1
LUXXXAS_____________	Indian Wells____________		1
Marionette_____________	Paris__________________ 		1
MarkNL________________	Madrid__________________		1
MH0861_________________	Montreal_______________  		1
New___________________	Indian Wells____________		1
nunufc_________________	Madrid__________________		1
Payam__________________	Stanford__________________		1
peanuts________________	Hobart__________________		1
rabbits________________	Brisbane________________		1
Ralph214_______________	Paris____________________		1
rbfilipe_______________	US Open_________________		1
Richie's_______________	Beijing_________________		1
Roddickyin_____________	Kuala Lumpur_____________		1
Sasja__________________	Beijing_________________		1
StarLuk________________	Pattaya City_____________		1
TNT2009________________	Stanford________________		1
twight6________________	Brisbane________________		1
Wateva________________	Beijing_________________		1
Winnerpova____________	Beijing_________________		1

Last edited by Emrys : Oct 7th, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Emrys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 10th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #2
country flag Archer16

Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 PAW Wildcard Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
But I think WCs on Mandatory Tournaments should be lenient because after all you are forcing those points into our rankings. It's not like we purposely don't want to commit to a tournament and make more jobs for the managers. Sometimes you just don't remember to commit for the first tournament of the month. Like ATP/WTA, you have to opt out for mandatory tournaments...
I agree with this (which was written in the wrong thread).
It has to be said, though, that the main reason for giving only 5 WCs in Indian Wells wasn't the quota rule of 5 per tournament, but the others didn't even apply for one.
Archer16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #3
country flag Emrys

Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of Emrys has much to be proud of

I have to admit that coolfish made a good point aboout the 8 tournaments (slams/madatory) that are forced points for the ranking and that it gives the right to play in those tournaments without committing.

BUT at that time, the right decision was made. Cause the rules didn't said anything about automaticly 'IN' for the slams and mandatory events , only that you have to commit for every tournament and that every tournaments has 5 wildcards.

But that doesn't mean that coolfish suggestion isn't valid for the future.
This can be discussed by all the players and managers , and further action can be taken about this.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 11:28 PM   #4
country flag Archer16

Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute

Emrys, do you also keep track of players who committed to a tournament and did not play?
This is what the 2010 WC thread looked like http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=399587 and these rules are still intact.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:29 AM   #5
country flag sdtoot

sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer16 View Post
Emrys, do you also keep track of players who committed to a tournament and did not play?
This is what the 2010 WC thread looked like http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=399587 and these rules are still intact.
Actually I abandoned this rule in 2011.

For 2010, the WC thread was run by DarkchildSwiss and she was willing to put in the effort to monitor the players who had committed to play at PAW tournaments and then didn't eventually play. This was something that she felt strongly about and she brought in this rule for 2010.

DcS stood down from this role at the end of 2010 and in 2011 I ran the PAW WC thread because no-one else came forward to volunteer. I wasn't prepared to spend hours trawling through PAW tournament threads logging who had/hadn't played, so for 2011 I went back to the old rule and only logged which players had received WC's throughout the season.

I would recommend that we stick to keeping everything simple as possible and not to make the rules more complicated than they really need to be - particularly when person (Emrys) is very kindly looking after all of the main managerial roles of the game at present.
sdtoot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:49 AM   #6
country flag Archer16

I wasn't aware it wasn't tracked last year (even though I've just noticed there was no C-NP list in the 2011 WC thread).
I'm very much with DcS in this one.

Players committing without playing are extra effort for both tournament managers and the person in charge of the commitment thread. It shows lack of respect.
We've established in 2010 that such players will be put clearly as NR at the bottom of each final league table, so it's not that hard to spot them.

Of course, as this thread is run by Emrys, ultimately it is his decision to make.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:44 AM   #7
country flag Emrys

I didn't know there was a rule in the past about committing non-players.

I have to admit that im not really looking forward to track this all.
It's more then just making a WC List.
It gets more complicated with 2 in month and 3 in 3 months , to keep track of that all , when the 30 or 90 days start.

Most of the PAW players are already complaining about too much rules
If we gonna start with punishments for some tournaments, then i think the PAW game gonna lose more and more players.
The rules we have now are fair (yes, also the only 5 WC's in the first week of the month )

I also understand it's not fun for managers that some players commit and then don't play.
As a manager myself i know it's irritating to have those players in the ranking.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:12 AM   #8
country flag Archer16

It's easy to simplify this without counting days (which I agree is a pain): if you committed twice (or thrice, whatever will be decided, but 2 is enough imo) without playing during an entire year, you are not entitled to get a WC for the rest of that year. Perhaps even a short ban from PAW.
It should be straightforward for all players that committing for a tournament without showing up for it is wrong and disrespectful. I think most of the players would agree with that.

BTW, There was also a part about asking for a WC and not using it, but that almost never happens.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:56 PM   #9
country flag sdtoot

sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute sdtoot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer16 View Post
It's easy to simplify this without counting days (which I agree is a pain): if you committed twice (or thrice, whatever will be decided, but 2 is enough imo) without playing during an entire year, you are not entitled to get a WC for the rest of that year. Perhaps even a short ban from PAW.
It should be straightforward for all players that committing for a tournament without showing up for it is wrong and disrespectful. I think most of the players would agree with that.

BTW, There was also a part about asking for a WC and not using it, but that almost never happens.
Are you volunteering Archer? If not, then I think it is unfair to ask Emrys to commit even more time to the game to do this work, which is not a simple task. I also think banning players who commit and then forget to play is going one step too far. As a PAW manager the important thing is to know who will be potentially playing your tournament that week so that you have adequate time to set up your spreadsheet. Once a players name is in the spreadsheet then it doesn't particularly matter if they don't post any picks, they just end up at the bottom of the League Table.

In my opinion, the main aim must be to try to encourage players to post their commitments early and not leave it to the last minute to sign up to play at a tournament.
sdtoot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:40 PM   #10
country flag Archer16

I have no problem collecting the info from the start of this year.

A short ban from playing was given as an option, and only for repeated offenses (anyone can forget once).

When I'm running a tournament, the "blank" players are a nuisance in my spreadsheet just as much as WCs and perhaps even more.
And we do have a pretty strict limitation on WC per player, which is supposed to resemble the real-life WTA.

Same about commitments, which are exactly that - commitments in their pure sense. On the tour, a player cannot commit and then decide she doesn't feel like playing and take off, can she?

Not to mention these fake commitments are also extra workload for Emrys in the management thread.