If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next year? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 10:12 PM   #1
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute
If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next year?

Last winter Kvitova's coach David Kotyza did a great job of improving Petra's fitness, speed and footwork and boy has it paid off this year. So where should the focus be now?

I'll start off by saying that she needs to put away the easy winners consistently. Too many times this year I've seen her throw her opponent out wide with a slice serve and get a weak return that she then belts as hard as she can and has the ball boys diving for cover. If the court is wide open, just roll it in for a winner.

Secondly, she needs top close down the net better when she comes in. She's a good vollier but she often makes them harder than they need to be.
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 10:21 PM   #2
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next ye

You just said what I was about to say (closing out the running sitters, off the Lefty Slice serve out wide, and closing the net sometimes). Petra likes to hang out in that mid-court area, closer to the net for some reason. Lol.

She can also learn to go to her plan B quicker, than the near end of a set, or after a set is completed. Maybe after 2-3 games she can change tactics or attitude instead.

She must continue to go to the net when it presents itself, and mix up her shots/show variety, especially early in tournaments, when she's playing her way into form, for cheap, easy points. This strategy also works well with retrievers, on any surface.

Those were the most obvious.

Any thing else, would just be continual improvement. She already moves well (though you gonna get knuckle heads here who incredulously claims she don't), she's fit (ditto as before), and she has all the shots. She should continue to improve and refine all of those aspects.

I think she should also continue to add speed to her serve. The great thing with Petra though; she doesn't have to serve fast (though she can and does) to serve well . That's great, when you're late in a game or don't want to double fault, pacing through a tournament, or just plain ole tired. But she should continue to increase her speed.

As far as tournament goals:

She should also set a goal to make it to the finals of the Australian, French Open, Wimbledon and the Olympics next year.

Another goal would be, to take her experience on a slow indoor hardcourt at Istanbul and Moscow, and translate it to success at Indian Wells, Doha and Miami next year.

She should also set a goal to make the finals of Tokyo next year, after making the semis this year (and blowing a 5-1 first set lead, against a player she beat several weeks later 6-2, 6-4).

Of course we can go on and on with this.

Last edited by Excelscior : Nov 2nd, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 10:40 PM   #3
country flag ananke

ananke has disabled reputation
Re: If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next ye

Net play. She already has the courage to go to the net often, but her volleys are still... less than perfect.

Maybe she can hire Navratilova, now that she's rich
ananke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #4
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Mentally she has sometimes have unexplicably lapses. So just hire a psychologist, that's it. And she will dominate.
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:09 PM   #5
country flag flyingmachine

flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute

It seems she can prove to concentration lapse so she needs to improve that.
Also things like fitness her puppy fat needs to go now and movement. She is not the worse mover but definitely not the best ones so she needs to improve on that.
Also her net play and at time her game need to refine it in order to make it even better.
Anyway it will be an interesting 2012 for her for sure.

Smells like Kvitova spirit

Allez Forever!

Amelie Mauresmo: Wimbledon Champion 2006
flyingmachine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM   #6
country flag ananke

ananke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
Mentally she has sometimes have unexplicably lapses. So just hire a psychologist, that's it. And she will dominate.
She is already working with one.
ananke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:35 PM   #7
Valanga
Tick Tock

Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute

Her taste in men

P.A.K.K

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Valanga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:13 AM   #8
country flag Spring Pools

Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfarshear View Post
Her taste in men
Or boys...
Spring Pools is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:34 AM   #9
country flag ExtremespeedX

ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold

Volleys. For someone who rushes the net as often as she does, her volleys need to be improved. I know people call her great volleyer because nobody can volley on WTA, but if she wants to win points with volleys, she needs to become a little better when she comes to the net without hitting a monster approach shot.
ExtremespeedX is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:38 AM   #10
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

In the YEC final she seemed to go to the net a lot, so that was good. Mainly, she needs to work on removing the lapses in concentration (as everyone has said) and perhaps vary her serve more.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:51 AM   #11
country flag Linguae^

Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future

Her consistency!
Linguae^ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:10 AM   #12
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Fitness is the first thing. A lot of times a player getting into peak physical shape will give them confidence that will spread to other parts of their game (like the mental side).

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:18 AM   #13
country flag KBlade

KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future

I definitely think they need to work on varying her serve a little more. I fear that if she doesn't progress her game sufficiently, she will become predictable, and players will start figuring her out and exploiting her.
KBlade is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:34 AM   #14
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

Rallying shots and timing on NA HC's.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 02:42 AM   #15
country flag duhcity
yaaaas jaja u play soooo good

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

What drives me crazy is that she has a tendency to hit swinging volleys down the center of the court.

JeJa; Venus; Pavs; Aga; Vika; Kiki; Alize; Keys

tweetweet
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote