Ongoing Trivia: Williams vs Indian Wells - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 02:28 PM   #1
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Ongoing Trivia: Williams vs Indian Wells

This is from cnnsi

Williams sisters won't play Indian Wells

Posted: Sunday November 10, 2002 11:27 PM

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -- Serena and Venus Williams have indicated that Indian Wells will not be on their schedules next season following the racial abuse the sisters say they received at the Californian tournament two years ago.

"I would like to play where people like to see me play," said Serena after reaching the final of the WTA Championships with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 win over Jennifer Capriati on Sunday. "People like to see me play in L.A.

"I did have a couple of fans out there [Indian Wells], but I think the vast majority of them didn't like me out there.

"I'm an entertainer and I don't want to entertain if they don't want to be entertained."

Forced to retire from her semi-final with Belgian Kim Clijsters because of a leg injury, Venus was asked if it brought back memories of her pull-out from the Indian Wells Masters in 2001.

Withdrawing at the last minute from a match against her sister, Venus was mercilessly booed by the angry crowd.

During the final the next day, the crowd turned on Serena, father Richard Williams later saying his daughters and other family members had been the target of racial slurs.

"I'll never forget that, that's for sure," said Venus. "It was a pretty intense moment to go through and not many people have to go through those things in their lives."

Neither of the sisters played in this year's Indian Wells tournament.

Please note, neither Venus not Serena has actually said they will or won't play IW this year. That conclusion is solely the author's. I for one, am drawing no conclusion one way or the other based on this article.

Last edited by Volcana : Nov 11th, 2002 at 02:49 PM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 02:33 PM   #2
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
After the way that crowd behaved, I don't think they should ever go back.
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 02:51 PM   #3
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
And maybe none of the poeple in THAT crowd ever come to tournament at IW again. Given how wel clay season went for them, if Venus and Serena continue to skip IW, I'll bet prep for clay season figures into it as well. That wasn't the reason last year, but now they know there are benefits to skipping IW that can be reaped on clay.
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 02:53 PM   #4
country flag tennischick

tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all
let's wait and see. if they do decide to play, i won't hold it against them. sometimes you have to rise above the idiots that are trying to pull you down.
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 03:14 PM   #5
country flag CC

CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute
They never said it was a definite they would not play. Even Jennifer said she hadn't made her schedule as yet. I wonder if they'll write that she is not going either.
CC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:00 PM   #6
TSequoia01

TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future
The season is so long, you don't have to play every tournament. Indian Wells is as good a one to skip as any.

SERENA PRINCESS OF POWER
Victoria Duval - coming to a slam near you
AJLA TOMLJANOVIC definitely a future #1

Serena and Venus grannies with a purpose
Kimiko Date Krumm great granny still doing her thing.
TSequoia01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote