Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 02:56 AM   #106
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
Yes, and also the fact that she's jet-setting around the world, and trying to play matches and train, rather than being at home with family while this is happening. Imagine if she had made the illness even worse as a consequence of being misdiagnosed and playing too much.

Maybe the anger has been dulled by the passing of a couple of years? Although she's such a mellow person I wouldn't be surprised if the anger never existed in the first place.

I know that I use a lot of profanities when describing my grandma's experiences with her doctors
She's never sounded bitter whenever she's talked about it in the past, although I have the impression she hasn't been comfortable with talking about it much at all until now. It's telling that she lists "Flying and deer ticks carrying Lyme disease" on her bio page as the things she's most afraid of. All the more gutsy that she writes about it at such length now. Could be that now that she's put her RG loss behind her by winning the USO she feels it's time to exorcise all her demons. Maybe she'll take up sky-diving soon
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 03:06 AM   #107
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
She's never sounded bitter whenever she's talked about it in the past, although I have the impression she hasn't been comfortable with talking about it much at all until now. It's telling that she lists "Flying and deer ticks carrying Lyme disease" on her bio page as the things she's most afraid of. All the more gutsy that she writes about it at such length now. Could be that now that she's put her RG loss behind her by winning the USO she feels it's time to exorcise all her demons. Maybe she'll take up sky-diving soon
I love this

Sometimes I think she is just very good at not letting on what she's feeling in press conferences. The "exorcising demons" after the USO win analogy is right, I think. Before that victory she never publicly acknowledged how upsetting the French Open loss had been for her, even though a lot of us thought we could see the effects it was having on her match play and confidence. Hopefully being a GS champ will allow her to move on from any regrets/fears/disappointments she still harbours (although obviously she can't entirely reconfigure her personality).
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM   #108

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sometimes I think she is just very good at not letting on what she's feeling in press conferences.
I agree, and I think this is one of Sam's most underrated skills (though probably one of the reasons she's not more popular than she is). She's very adept at deflecting attempts by journalists to lead her somewhere she doesn't want to go. She has a very clear idea what she does and what she doesn't want to talk about and rarely gets tricked into saying something she doesn't want to say (unlike e.g. Serena or Caro, who are usually good for at least one or two gaffes per interview).

Quote:
Hopefully being a GS champ will allow her to move on from any regrets/fears/disappointments she still harbours (although obviously she can't entirely reconfigure her personality).
I really think this will be the case. I can already see a difference in het interviews these days, she seems to have a level of comfort and confidence she never had before. A while ago someone on GM made a remark about Sam having a target on her back now, but if anything I think the opposite is true. Before winning the USO I think she was somewhat haunted by the thought of going down in history as just another bright prospect who never realized her full potential. Now she's got that trophy with her name on it, and she knows she earned every ounce of it, that must make it easier to accept the disappointments of the past and feel less fear for what the future has in store for her.
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoropen View Post
You lot probably know this already – Sam is playing an exo in Singapore from Dec 16-18 along with Aga, Flavia, and a few others. I know that exhibitions aren’t the same as ‘proper’ tournaments, but if you’re anything like me, you’re dying for a Sammy fix. Besides, I’m looking forward to having the luxury of watching her play relaxed ‘no consequence’ tennis. I just hope the tourney is livestreamed for us.
Sam will be approaching this as a preparation for the Aus season, which may mean that she'll take it a bit more seriously than you would normally expect. She's not likely to completely go for broke, but she'll want to get at least a couple of good matches in, so she'll definitely play to win I think. Being an exo may mean that she'll experiment a bit more than she would in a normal tournament, but basically I expect her to play very attacking tennis. It's a strong line up, so should provide a good test for her. I'm not very optimistic about the prospect of any live coverage
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 03:49 AM   #110

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree, and I think this is one of Sam's most underrated skills (though probably one of the reasons she's not more popular than she is). She's very adept at deflecting attempts by journalists to lead her somewhere she doesn't want to go. She has a very clear idea what she does and what she doesn't want to talk about and rarely gets tricked into saying something she doesn't want to say (unlike e.g. Serena or Caro, who are usually good for at least one or two gaffes per interview).
Yeah, I think this is why some people describe her as "boring". What they mean is, she is a sensible person who doesn't make a fool of herself or demean others for the pleasure of fans during press conferences.

I wonder if she gets media training, or if she just intuitively knows how to keep conversations away from dangerous or difficult subject matter. Either way, I think it shows a lot of intelligence. Her capacity for conflict avoidance and/or resolution would make her a good hostage negotiator or bodyguard when she retires

Quote:
I really think this will be the case. I can already see a difference in het interviews these days, she seems to have a level of comfort and confidence she never had before. A while ago someone on GM made a remark about Sam having a target on her back now, but if anything I think the opposite is true. Before winning the USO I think she was somewhat haunted by the thought of going down in history as just another bright prospect who never realized her full potential. Now she's got that trophy with her name on it, and she knows she earned every ounce of it, that must make it easier to accept the disappointments of the past and feel less fear for what the future has in store for her.
I think this will be the case too - with the proviso that she needs to stop consciously thinking about playing as a grand slam champion and the expectations associated with this. She might feel this pressure during the Australian summer, which is why I think it will be really beneficial for her to have solid showings at Sydney and Brisbane. If she can get six or seven matches in before the AO, hopefully she'll get used to the Australian crowds and be focused on her matchplay, rather than the lofty expectations of the Australian public.

Old Dec 4th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #111

Quote:
Yeah, I think this is why some people describe her as "boring".
I don't think Sam has ever been particularly bothered by what the general public think of her off-court persona. In any case she certainly doesn't feel the need to court approval like a lot do.

Quote:
Her capacity for conflict avoidance and/or resolution would make her a good hostage negotiator or bodyguard when she retires
Love it! You guys were talking about getting Uma Thurman to play Sam in a Tarantino thriller, now we have the beginnings of a script

Quote:
She might feel this pressure during the Australian summer, which is why I think it will be really beneficial for her to have solid showings at Sydney and Brisbane. If she can get six or seven matches in before the AO, hopefully she'll get used to the Australian crowds and be focused on her matchplay, rather than the lofty expectations of the Australian public.
I think she was mainly unlucky to draw Petra in round 3 this year, I doubt if she could have beaten her no matter how good her lead up was. But in combination with her disappointing results in Brisbane and Sydney it did set the tone for the first half of the year, so a good start next year would certainly be useful. As for her being put off by the Australian crowds: I think that that was mainly the case in the Fed Cup tie, which came at the end of her bad Aus season and added an extra dimension to the home crowd pressure
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #112
country flag Siderophyre

Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future

Hey stromatolite - congrats on being the number one Sam stan on TF in November. I only managed to be 7th. Did you see that stupid thread on GM?

It's later than you think...
Siderophyre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
Hey stromatolite - congrats on being the number one Sam stan on TF in November. I only managed to be 7th. Did you see that stupid thread on GM?
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. What thread?
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #114
country flag Siderophyre

Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. What thread?
This thread: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=449220

Just pointless posting stats...

It's later than you think...
Siderophyre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #115
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Ha ha random thread. Id assume thats just for GM.I always wonder who has the time to make all these stats threads, they're interesting but they must take a while!!

Im really interested to see how Sam goes this Australian summer, I mean Im always interested but this one in particular just after she's won USO. Its going to get crazy here around AO. I pray she gets a somewhat good draw in the early rounds to ease her into the tournament. Her bad matchups are all pretty high in the rankings so no Petra, or Masha, or Vika early one like she had Petra last year. But there is Serena, Venus etc ... anyhoo its over a month away and Im already worrying about draws.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
This thread: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=449220

Just pointless posting stats...
What does that thread measure? Because some of the people there are not Sam fans at all

Old Dec 6th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #117
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Quote:
What does that thread measure? Because some of the people there are not Sam fans at all
Its probably how many times they post in a Sam thread or how many of their posts mention Sam.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #118
country flag Theodoropen

Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntress55 View Post
Its probably how many times they post in a Sam thread or how many of their posts mention Sam.
I think it's roughly how many posts of yours mention Sam compared with the number of mentions of any player, but it's all plugged into an index calculation some random person on TF came up with. Something like that. It's explained at the beginning of the thread - I only thought to read it as the numbers by our names are so huge they didn't make sense.
Theodoropen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #119
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I'm #2. Time to go do something else more productive...
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #120
country flag Huntress55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisforadults View Post
OMG I'm #2. Time to go do something else more productive...
Um please dont, you're actually one of the few reasonable people in GM